secondary diesel filter

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: secondary diesel filter

Postby Tony on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:43 pm

Ask them to put in writing why it would void your warranty when using a secondary filtration system that far exceeds the inadequate factory item with Australian fuel. Remember, you are leaving the factory system in place.

I have been through this over and over, adding a filter as such cant cause more harm then opening the system by replacing the OEM item. Once installed, is only a good thing as you can see above, my injectors and pump could have all been destroyed in time.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Tony wrote:Click to view larger picture

Doing it's job.

All this crud got past a new oem 6um filter in under 2k.

Wow, just goes to show how easy it is to pick up some bad fuel. Your injectors would have got smashed if wasn't for that 2um secondary filter.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DCDAD on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Tony wrote:I have been through this over and over, adding a filter as such cant cause more harm then opening the system by replacing the OEM item. Once installed, is only a good thing as you can see above, my injectors and pump could have all been destroyed in time.

Don't get me wrong , I understand fully what you're saying ( I'm coming from a D4Detonate ) ... I just want to be able to back this up somehow, and prove beyond all doubt, so when push comes to shove ( and hopefully that's not the case ) I can back up my claim
It wasn't me , Your Honour! :lol:
DCDAD

Postby bodia on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:17 pm

Mate its as simple as if the extra filter you add creates an issue then Mitsubishi aren't liable. Obvious possible faults are extra load on fuel pumps and possibly particulate from filter entering engine and to all that say not possible we have a old ute with a dusted engine from a wrong size but correct designation ryco air filter
bodia

Postby Tony on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Drives me crazy. Where I live, the mines and other fleets fit these from day one as manufactures such as Toyota where not covering damage due to fuel contamination. Or more correctly, typical Australian fuel and hard conditions.

Here is some water that also escaped the OEM filter. The secondary system caught it nicely. 8-)

Water trap.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DCDAD on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:47 pm

I'm really in two minds about it all... damned if you do , damned if you don't !
DCDAD

Postby DCDAD on Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:06 am

Just read this online as well ...
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-ad ... e-at-risk/
also noticed that Dobinson's Guarantee is this ...."
When you buy Donaldson you can be certain that you are buying the best. Our aftermarket warranty provides cover for 1 year from installation or for the normal service interval period as stated in the equipment manufacturers service manual (whichever occurs first).The use of aftermarket filtration will not void engine & equipment manufacturers warranties."

Surely if they wish to guarantee their product, they would go longer than a year? and the last statement i think needs a bit more clarification from them...
"The use of aftermarket filtration will not void engine & equipment manufacturers warranties." :o
DCDAD

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:57 am

So the Dobbo warranty could be only 6months, if this is the manufacturer's normal service interval?

I'd suggest your best protection might be the use of those filtered funnels (have a green filter material that's claimed to catch water and crud) and prevent contamination entering way back at the tank. The other benefit is that you can see if there is any problem with the fuel as you're filling.

A good regime might be to use this funnel while filling any Gerry cans and tank and then again when decanting the GC into the tank.

Another big issue with the triton (and probably others) is the lack of a drain [censored] or plug on the fuel tank. So the whole tank may need to be removed and cleaned out at some stage.

Has anyone looked at the possibility of adding a visual bulb setup that could screw in between the OEM filter and water sensor?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:05 am

let me put the questions this way, and not just for Tritons....................

Do you know anyone who has reported failure from an additional fuel filter arrangement?

Do you know anyone who has had issues from poor fuel causing SCV, injector or even pump issues (ask some Toyo owners)?

I run secondary on my MN and it has not given me any problems. I know plenty of others who have as well, also no problems. What Tony has shown in these previous posts would have clearly given him some massive engine issues excepting for his secondary filter.

You can stand next to your paper warranty if you want, but i can assure you if it is a poor fuel quality issue your car manufacturers warranty wont help you one bit. So what's the point?

I can't even believe it is being debated. :? :? :?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:14 am

It's only being debated because some clowns at dealerships say stuff like 'void warranty' and people naturally shit themselves. The same clowns need some training from the accc because saying dumb shit like that could expose the dealerships to civil penalties for breach of the relevant legislation.

If I get time later I'll post some more on this void warranty chestnut, and maybe the differences and overlap between manufacturers warranties and statutory warranties.

If I didn't already have a 2 micron secondary filter installed that photo above would have me searching for one asap.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:47 am

When injectors erode, the outcome is often a holed piston even though the engine will run seemingly fine till the moment the piston lets go.
Will your warranty cover this? Very unlikely although I have heard Mitsubishi have done so in the past.

piston.jpg

This has been the death of many CRD's in my area. (Mainly Toyota due to large number of them) The lucky ones got away with a new set of injectors and some also destroyed the pump.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:07 am

Seems simple to me. Fit a secondary if you trust the quality of your work and filters. Fit a primary if you worry. It still has to be better than not having one. With Google you can find other "experts" with arguments for primary or secondary, The view on this forum seems to be a secondary other sources of information are different. I don't mean Facebook either.
L200Shogun

Postby snowman on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:07 am

L200Shogun wrote:Seems simple to me. Fit a secondary if you trust the quality of your work and filters. Fit a primary if you worry. It still has to be better than not having one. With Google you can find other "experts" with arguments for primary or secondary, The view on this forum seems to be a secondary other sources of information are different. I don't mean Facebook either.

i recall a post or even thread on here about the merits of primary or secondary additional filtration.

my own personal opinion was due to the OEM being a greater size micron filter it could remove the larger items as per normal. If anything got past that then it was taken out by the 2 micron secondary.

My logic was if passed the OEM (and greater than 2 micron) it was already heading to do damage by that time anyway. The advice i received was (and remember originally the OEM was a larger micron filter - now smaller but still not 2 micron) that with these very high pressure fuel systems even particles below the original OEM were damaging. That way you basically had a large primary taking out the 'bones' as tony calls them, and the smaller filter (i run the smaller one with filter like Tony just posted) there to do the work for the smaller stuff. Although the logic of a 10 micron stopping everything above 10 micron and nothing below 10 micron is apparently false, it seems to make sense to have the 'finer' filter beyond the larger micron filter.

Remember these systems flow a lot more fuel than that used by the injectors but to this day i dont recall anyone having an issue for any additional friction losses through the fuel system from a properly installed secondary filter.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:51 pm

A good argument I have seen for a secondary. Is if the water alarm goes off on your factory filter you still have the secondary to catch any that may have passed. Water alarms seem to be an expensive option on aftermarket filters.
L200Shogun

Postby deermaster on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:10 pm

tritonmal wrote:Filter installed .... Plumbed in after original filter. .... Click to view larger picture

Mines in exactly the same place as that. :D
deermaster

Postby coughy on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:00 pm

wow just wow im looking into this asap like dave said
i know you guys have a dahl installed but will this one be ok as it is near me and i can pick up tomorw from work
it doesnt have the clear bowl but it is a 2mic filter and the flows and stuff all work and it is small to fit next to the oem filter

edit just said no pick ups gggrrr
but it is a pre filter???
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271680246752 ... EBIDX%3AIT
or this one
i know it says a 30 mic on the filter but the description says 2mic
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271645251703 ... EBIDX%3AIT
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:05 pm

At tony or dave how long does that dahl filter last??
and the cost of a new one??
that one tony put up in 2k F**K me very scary S**T there and i need one asap
ty tony for the wake up on this
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Looks okay from here. Snowie and Tony run the Dahl item. Geek, myself and SRB run the Racor-Parker which is frankly huge but I figure will take longer to clog up.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:27 pm

Last edited by L200Shogun on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L200Shogun

Postby snakesoup on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:27 pm

the100 series fuel managers are pretty good mate it's what I run also ...as well you can get a donaldson filter to fit this housing part number p551421 $35 when I bought last one and that is a very good price for under a $100 I don't think you can go wrong with that !!
snakesoup

Postby coughy on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:09 pm

cheers guys just trying to find some one that sells the replacment filters close to me for the ease of replacment when needed
but yes the 100 series looks good
i just asked them if they hold the 100 series 2 mic filter instock ...
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:12 pm

contact donaldson "if you want to use there filter on that head" and they will tell you closest retailer to you;-)
snakesoup

Postby DCDAD on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:16 pm

L200Shogun wrote:Seems simple to me. Fit a secondary if you trust the quality of your work and filters. Fit a primary if you worry. It still has to be better than not having one. With Google you can find other "experts" with arguments for primary or secondary, The view on this forum seems to be a secondary other sources of information are different. I don't mean Facebook either.

just a bit of info i found!

http://www.dieselcare.com.au/primary-vs-secondary
DCDAD

Postby jrs184 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:30 pm

Longranger1 wrote:I think after the standard filter is the go. 10 micron then 2 micron.

I read some advise that warned against using thread tape on the filter/fuel fittings, 'No matter how careful you are with thread tape (PTFE) there is always a chance of some of it getting into the fuel system', then went on to recommend a fuel sealing paste...what are your thoughts on this and what do the experts use that won't foul an injector down the line?...another question is why on my ML is there a different size fuel line to and from the filter...thanks.
jrs184

Postby Tony on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:34 pm

I use sealing paste. Most fittings are tapered anyway so no need for thread tape.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems