Long range fuel tanks

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Long range fuel tanks

Postby Greg Cairns on Wed May 01, 2013 7:16 pm

No it is made to fit from a company called VIP plastic fabrication here in cairns. Solid construction 10mm walls, welded inside and out, filler point on top and centre baffle.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"If you desire peace prepare for war"
Greg Cairns

Postby 4wd26 on Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 am

Will be keen to see it fitted. It is something that I have wanted to do, but the bundy one are only 50lts, 115 sounds better. Do you have a price
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby har05l on Thu May 02, 2013 6:25 am

4wd26 wrote:Will be keen to see it fitted. It is something that I have wanted to do, but the bundy one are only 50lts, 115 sounds better. Do you have a price

What about these selwyn http://www.oppositelock.com.au/index.ph ... ectionID=0

I found them last night while surfing about
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu May 02, 2013 7:10 am

har05l wrote:
4wd26 wrote:Will be keen to see it fitted. It is something that I have wanted to do, but the bundy one are only 50lts, 115 sounds better. Do you have a price

What about these selwyn http://www.oppositelock.com.au/index.ph ... ectionID=0

I found them last night while surfing about

previous page has that link and skyminer has posted pics of them fitted.

I would like to get the fuel load in front or over the rear axle rather than behind- especially with ball weight added due to towing ;)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Greg Cairns on Fri May 03, 2013 6:12 am

The price is $770 but i am going to ask if he will do it a bit less for cash?? Se how it goes cannot hurt to ask...
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"If you desire peace prepare for war"
Greg Cairns

Postby Big Damo on Mon May 27, 2013 10:34 pm

I was going to go with the OL/Dolium additional 75L tank but it does drop the spare a little bit on the MN (I think they worked out it would be about 50mm) and I have also heard plenty of stories about them taking ages to fill (like 20 minutes - way to long for my liking). I went for a 4wd systems tank 125L and it sits flush or a bit higher than the chassis rails - a slightly better design than most. Gauge works but slows in the top half. Looks well made and is solid. Sure it only gives an extra 50L but my tub is more like the back of a wagon, carpeted etc and I wanted as much room as I could get in it so a poly tub in the tub was out. I would have loved an extra 120L but that's an extra 120Kg roughly plus the tank when you fill up, and my max allowable weight is challenged at time when towing the camper as is.
Big Damo

Postby myself62 on Wed May 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Im not having any luck trying to find an under tray tank for a petrol ML.
I am looking for the type of tank that sits flat in the cavity between the chassis and the alloy tray floor, preferably above the rear axil and preferably plastic, anyone come across any or fitted one?
Bruno.
myself62

Postby siwren on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi All,

I'm struggling to come to terms with my Long Range tank, mainly when it gets close to empty.

When the gauge reaches empty and range is --- I've been waiting a little longer before filing up but still only manage to fit in 105ish liters. Not wanting to run dry, is there still 20L in the tank of which I could drive for another 100km with it still showing empty, or is it not possible to fill it up to 125L?

Hopefully its the former (as gaining 30 liters for $1k is very expensive), but is there anyway to adjust the sender unit so that empty is actually empty? What does everyone else who has long range tanks do? Watch for the light and 100km? Run off the odometer?

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

See my Triton build: Si's Tri
My Shed
siwren

Postby borngeek on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:26 pm

It is the same with the standard tank. You have 15-20L left when the light comes on (approx).

Carry a 10L gerry of diesel and run a test. There is a primer on top of the fuel filter when you do run out.. Or you just turn it over till it starts. ;)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:03 pm

it may depend on brand a bit
mine is a LongRanger from ARB
when the light comes on I know I have 20lts remaining
I tend to run off odometer mostly but if towing or 4x4ing that is not always accurate.
As BG said, try a test run with a jerry can reserve
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby oldplodder on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:14 pm

2012 triton
Just tried my Brown Davis tank.
Put a 20l jerry can in from empty and the fuel light is still on and the needle is under the empty line, about half way up the E.
My old pajero with a long range tank was not empty till the bottom of the E, and had 20 litres at the top of the E.
oldplodder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AussieTriton on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Does anyone know who makes the Ironman tank? I'm just curious, as I wouldn't buy or fit ANYTHING that comes from Ironman ever again. (Long story). Even if they were the last supplier on the planet, I can do without :twisted:
AussieTriton

Postby desblaze on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi Aussietriton,

Can you please explain why you feel this way about Ironman products? Is it their long range tanks in particular?
desblaze

Postby CYI-FLY on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:08 am

Big Damo do you have any pics of your tank fitted mate?? How much did it set ya back?
Cheers
CYI-FLY

Postby AussieTriton on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:23 pm

desblaze wrote:Hi Aussietriton,

Can you please explain why you feel this way about Ironman products? Is it their long range tanks in particular?

Desblaze, it's a long story, and way off topic for here. Not sure PM will have enough space to explain, so if you want to hear the specifics, I could email you. I'm curious to know their tank supplier, that's all.
AussieTriton

Postby desblaze on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:47 am

Not to worry, Just nice to know what to steer clear of as I was thinking about one of their long range tanks mainly for the price. Can't justify spending 1K on a fuel tank when the one I have works fine.
desblaze

Postby AussieTriton on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:52 pm

desblaze wrote:Not to worry, Just nice to know what to steer clear of as I was thinking about one of their long range tanks mainly for the price. Can't justify spending 1K on a fuel tank when the one I have works fine.

From my experience, I permanently steer clear of anything Ironman sell, as their product seems average at best and their customer service and assistance for warranty is/was non-existant. I will spend 3 X the cost with someone else rather than buy whatever they are selling to get a good product, rather than give them one of my hard earned $$$. 'Nuf said. Over $1K for a long range tank is steep to me too, so I'll just stick to hauling a few jerrys along. I can buy a lot of extra diesel for that kind of money :D
AussieTriton

Postby mattz on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:36 am

desblaze wrote:Not to worry, Just nice to know what to steer clear of as I was thinking about one of their long range tanks mainly for the price. Can't justify spending 1K on a fuel tank when the one I have works fine.

Deanoh has had one for about 3 years without an issue.....like anything.......you can be unlucky though.

I also would have bought one if they had stock when I needed it. :roll: I ended up with a longranger which has been faultless too.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby tradieb on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:16 pm

tradieb wrote:Hi all, I'm looking at an ironman long range tank off eBay. The listing states only suitable for dual cab. Just wondering if it will fit the single cab. My thoughts are they've never fit one to a single cab so they don't list it. Unless the filler cap has to be relocated? Any thoughts?

For the record, ironman tank does not fit single cab triton. Different rail system apparently. The Long ranger make a 125L tank available through ARB. Fits single cab 2wd and 4wd. I found out it doesnt fit through incompetence of ironman 4x4 in Perth.
Its nice to be important, BUT its important to be nice..
tradieb

Postby oldplodder on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:11 am

Report on Brown Davis long range tank in a dual cab MN 2012.
Had it fitted a few weeks before leaving for the Kimberleys, via the plenty and the tanami.
13,000km and 6 weeks later and all is running well.
Tank does hang down below the chassis rail a little, but no scrapes or issues.
Pentecost river and some low range driving did not raise any issues.
Took the length of the trip to come to grips with how much fuel is left at what mark on the gauge.
Drove into Broome and Kununurra with the fuel warning light on.
Was towing a lighter camper trailer (700kg box trailer - customline) so fuel consumption averaged 10 to 14l/100k, depending on speed, sitting on 90km/hr to 115km/hr.

This tank, as per many of the others, has a lot of extra capacity up high and sideways towards the exhaust.

Nominally a 135l tank.
When installed put in a 20l jerry can and the fuel warning light was on, the gauge showed just under the empty mark. Went to the servo and put in 124l for a total of 144l.
Takes about 350 to 400km for the needle to come down to the full line, then about 90 to 95 litres left.
3/4 mark - about 80 litres left.
1/2 full - about 55 litres left - about 350km safe range left with camper.
1/4 full - about 35 to 40 litres left.
fuel warning light comes on a needle width above the empty mark.
Have driven a couple of times to the empty mark, and still only put in 125l. (nominally 10l left).
Estimate empty to be the top or middle of the E.

Noticed the fuel waring light comes on earlier when driving up a hill.

PS - also carried a couple of jerry cans on the trailer, and tried to keep one full just in case. :o)

Also took the whole trip for the scangauge to recalibrate itself to the new tank and give reasonable estimates of fuel used and range to empty.

Did the tank pay for itself. No.
Maybe about 1/4 of the cost saved.
Qld fuel prices generally in the $1.60 to $1.70 range.
NT prices $1.65 to $1.75 on the main track.
Kimberley prices $1.86 to $1.96 on the bitumen.
Tilmouth road house and other places along the Tanami - generally $2.20/l.
Gibb River Road - generally $2.20 to $2.40/l, with Kalumburu $3.10/l.
Quite reasonable considering the roads the fuel had be trucked across.

Did not need to buy fuel along the tanami, and only 90 litres on the Gibb to get us through.
Did 2200km Kununurra to Broome, for a 780km long road, yep, a few side tracks.

John C
oldplodder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brodical on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:27 am

So out of a full tank you could get upto about 1300 clicks out of a tank yeah???
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby oldplodder on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:05 am

brodie wrote:So out of a full tank you could get up to about 1300 clicks out of a tank yeah???

Yep, about right sitting on 100k.
With the camper trailer and averaging 13l/100k at 100km/hr, about 1000k range till the fuel warning light comes on.
If sitting on 110km/hr with the camper, 900k range.
oldplodder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:59 pm

Click to view larger picture

This arrived today. :shock:
Very serious bit of kit compared to the original tin can. :lol:
Massive baffles inside and super HD construction! Should have done this right from day one and spared the hassle of busting the original tank in the outback. :x
Just hope the factory mountings will hold it. :???: Might beef them up ay. ;-)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby spoiltone on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:24 pm

have a ironman tank installed now for 18months. no faults best thing i ever did. installed my self
spoiltone

Postby srb on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Well I managed to install my Brown Davis LR tank yesterday arvo... WHAT A PITA job!!!! :lol:

It took me 5hrs to install. :o And yes I did have to panel beat the floor pan to gain clearance. :x :roll:
The stupid bracket kit they supplied for the relocate of the factory diff lock compressor didn't fit and gave me all sorts of grief when i was trying to lift the tank into position. :x Ended up throwing the bracket across the road in bad temper and then mounting the compressor strait to the crossmember for a much nicer fit. 8-)
Tail shaft had to be completely removed from the gear box and Ultimates rear sway bar had to be disconnected and folded back. :roll: Brake lines and hand brake cable had to be bent away for extra clearance too. :| Other than all that it was easy! :lol: :?

I JUST HOPE I NEVER HAVE TO REMOVE IT! :lol: :lol: :shock:

Chucked in 18ltr of fuel from a jerry can and drove up to the servo to fill her up... 119.5lts went in for a total of 137.5lt.. nearly $200 worth. :shock: :lol: :roll:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems