messy oil change

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

messy oil change

Postby easyt on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:21 pm

just did my first home service on the Triton and i cant figure out how to change the oil filter without getting oil everywhere?!?!

from the research i've done on this forum i was expecting the messy part to be the actual oil drop but to my surprise the sump plug is really easy to get to (only had to loosen the 4 bolts holding the bash plate and it slid out) and unlike my other cars it lets the oil drop straight down into the pan. :D

but what did cause me grief was getting the oil filter off, first of all it required a trip to repco to acquire a bigger sized filter strap so i could get the ba$tard off. then as i started to unscrew the filter i get a stream of hot oil running over my hand, down my arm and all over the chassis rail as i tried to get the filter off. even after removing the filter it still wasn't easy to get out with everything getting in the way which wasn't made easier by the fact that i was lying under the front of the ute and reaching back to access the filter as it had to go towards the back of the ute for it to come out.

so, is there a way (trick) to change the oil filter without having 500ml of oil running down your arm and all over the chassis rail???
-
MY08 GLS Auto 3.2DiD
Car PC with 7" touch Screen, Reversing Camera, OBDii interface.
Chip-IT chip
-
easyt

Re: messy oil change

Postby rushie347 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Punch a hole in the filter with a scewdriver first to let it drain. Bit dodgy but would do the job.
rushie347

Postby Goldstorm on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pm

I got tried a few things with my 2007 Triton. The best I came up with was to just loosen the filter slightly so you can turn it by hand. Use a standard disposable shopping bag (or 2) and put it over the filter and up to the top. As you unscrew the filter by hand the excess runs into the shopping bag and saves all the mess. Its best to do it when its warm not hot.
Goldstorm

Postby mff64 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:11 pm

i use a hammer and center punch
"DROUGHTMASTERS" Australia's own
Eat more beef and be happy :-)
mff64

Postby MitsiGuy on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:58 pm

You could loosen off the oil filter slightly just so that it runs down the filter. Have a bit of card board under the filter eg. the new oil filter box and just funnel the oil into the drain tray and when it stops dribbling just unscrew it off.

When you change the filter though just make sure that the original oil seal off the filter isnt stuck on the engine.

I have seen the seals stick to the engine and not get removed and when you start the vehicle it pisses oil everywhere. LOL.. Hasnt happen to me yet.
MitsiGuy

Postby subi_man on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:15 am

An extra large takeaway coffee cup normally does the trick - loosen the oil filter, then quickly cup it with the coffee cup. You can then unscrew the filter the rest of the way with the cup while it captures all the oil and keeps your hands clean.

With regard to the sump plug, keep your eye out for a Fumoto oil drain valve Group Buy coming very soon 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby easyt on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:47 pm

thanks for all the ideas guys, i kicked myself when i read the idea of the plastic shopping bag, such a simple idea but would have saved me 1/2 hour of removing excess oil off the chassis.

on the up side, the chassis rail under the oil filter is now as clean as the day it rolled off the production line :?
-
MY08 GLS Auto 3.2DiD
Car PC with 7" touch Screen, Reversing Camera, OBDii interface.
Chip-IT chip
-
easyt

Return to Servicing