Retaining OEM Overflow Bottle - Snorkel Instructions

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Retaining OEM Overflow Bottle - Snorkel Instructions

Postby biggibbo on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi all

I recently purchased one of the cheapo snorkels and was at a loss what to do about the overflow bottle.

After chatting to Har05L, he said he retained the original overflow bottle in the original location and sent me some pics. I have documented some basic install instructions which i have sent to quite a few members, so thought I would post them here for all to use. Click the photos for larger image.

Additional parts required - 1 x 8mm barbed hose joiner and 300mm of water hose to suit existing hose (about $8 from any repco/supercheap etc)

1. Using a hacksaw or grinder remove the retaining tab from either side of the bottle and use a file to smooth off the edges to get them as flat as possible (photo 1, 2, 3) - Do not remove the pointy tab at the bottom of the bottle as it is part of the mould and will leave a hole in the bottom of the bottle.
Click to view larger picture

2. Join the coolant hose and the new section of hose together using the joiner and then run underneath the snorkel pipe to exit where the old hose used to (photo 4)

3. Attach the hose to the overflow bottle

4. Add a dab of silicone to the rear of the bottle and then using your left hand to lift the metal pipe slightly, place the bottle back in the original location and push underneath the plastic clip holding the metal pipe until it clicks - the silicone will ensure there is no movement due to vibration- (photo 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

5. Refit the air filter and air box top

Hope this helps
Gibbo
Last edited by biggibbo on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biggibbo

Re: Retaining OEM Overflow Bottle - Snorkel Instructions

Postby glxrboy on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:50 pm

I just bought another stainless steel bottle and i mounted mine on the firewall
glxrboy

Postby glxrboy on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Which snorkel did you get?
glxrboy

Postby biggibbo on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:58 pm

glxrboy wrote:I just bought another stainless steel bottle and i mounted mine on the firewall

Thats great, but not helpful in this thread.

glxrboy wrote:Which snorkel did you get?

cheapo from ebay, like I said in the 1st post :roll:
Last edited by biggibbo on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biggibbo

Postby glxrboy on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Easy with the attitude mate you just said cheapo one ok i thought you guys werent going to buy it,you were all giving me shit about buying one now you got one what changed?
glxrboy

Postby daryn on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:30 pm

glxrboy wrote:Easy with the attitude mate you just said cheapo one ok i thought you guys werent going to buy it,you were all giving me shit about buying one now you got one what changed?

Gibbo was actually the one person who said buy it.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby ductor on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks for posting this biggibo,
Now that you have enlightened me you could leave the rear mounting lug on and drill the black mounting chassis and through bolt in place. Or not?
ductor

Postby har05l on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:54 am

Good job gibbo ;)

Far better to do it this way and not fill more room in the engine bay that is lacking already
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby littlegibbo on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:56 am

I think you could leave one on, cant remember if it was front or rear. Think it was front tab from memory as you need to shift the bottle rearwards and the tab gets in the way. Maybe try it and post your results here and i will update the instructions if it works.
littlegibbo

Postby al coholic on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Great job Gibbo.....it is a tight fit....but certainly wont affect anything. ;) Cant see why this couldnt be done with the original Safari snorkels aswell :D
You might need to edit your first post though.......i notice credit is given to Har05l?? :? I can guarantee you it was not his idea, nor did he do any of the work :roll: :twisted: :lol: Although i must admit i did puncture the overflow bottle while trying to trim a bit too much off that rear tab :oops: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby melba on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:31 pm

al coholic wrote:Great job Gibbo.....it is a tight fit....but certainly wont affect anything. ;) Cant see why this couldnt be done with the original Safari snorkels aswell :D
You might need to edit your first post though.......i notice credit is given to Har05l?? :? I can guarantee you it was not his idea, nor did he do any of the work :roll: :twisted: :lol: Although i must admit i did puncture the overflow bottle while trying to trim a bit too much off that rear tab :oops: :lol:

so did I, I just filled it with the sikaflex I had left over, I couldn't get mine as snug or level as the photo shows but fits on an angle, otherwise it pushes the rubber duct which I thought mite restrict air flow, good idea bigibbo.
melba

Postby useless offroader on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:46 am

Helpful topic. Will be installing my snorkel tomorrow. Got the stainless steel replacement with the snorkel, but now I'm wondering if I just have a crack at using oem bottle!!! Which is the better option?

Mick
useless offroader

Postby har05l on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:11 am

If you fail with the oem at least you have a back up, very easy job but just be wary when you cut the bottom tabs off ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AussieTriton on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:15 pm

I bought the snorkel kit from Julelife on Ebay, it comes with a replacement bottle that fits nicely in the original location with 2 self-tappers. Very good kit for $139 + postage. :D
AussieTriton

Postby mark.james35 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:37 am

Hi Guys

I went to Repco and Supercheap and they did have any of the parts mentioned above :?

Just wondering if I can get the above parts from Bunnings and should the extended water hose be heat resistant or just a normal hose will do the job ?

Additionally, can I get the hose connector mentioned above from Bunnings as well and how much length hose do I need ?

Thanks Guys
mark.james35

Return to Exterior Mods