Recovery points

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Recovery points

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:11 pm

Annoying though isn't it, because it leaves a nice healthy hole in the market that a savvy business could exploit. I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I reckon you could sell a hundred pairs of recovery points just on this forum if you came up with a design or two that would fit the bog stock and the most common bullbars. For ARB 100 probably isn't much in the scheme of things but you'd think someone could make it pay.

Presumably the potential liability for a business that got it wrong would be a strong deterrent to entering the market though.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby al coholic on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:41 pm

helicoptercow wrote:Pretty confident those hole centres are greater then 35mm so be needing to fabricate something not only to mount the hook, but possibly bring it forward and reduce possible scuffing from the bull bar

(Click for full size)
Click to view larger picture

Something like this i think

Dave, the bolts highlighted in that pic are 50mm hole centres :? Might not suit the ones geek has bought obviously, bu surely someone must make a tow hook with 50mm hole centres. :|

Wishful thinking maybe :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby al coholic on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:32 pm

Tex wrote:I've said it before there is a mob here in Adelaide that are interested in having them made for us. They currently do them for the toyotas and nissans. Not rocket science, just a bent bit of thick steel and a few holes :lol: Just need to be sure it would fit the major brands of bull bars, ARB, TJM etc and get some numbers on commited buyers and they will look at doing them.

Just need someone to come up with dimensions that will fit the major bars or with no bar and go from there :|

Well, thats the first time ive heard you saying that :? :lol: Are you sure you mentioned it loudly enough?? Maybe use capitals :P

I would be interested for sure Tex.......I will do some measuring of different vehicles at Newnes on the weekend ;) I would definitely want some like the pictures that have been posted recently though, so essentially a hook with a keeper.......I want to avoid using shackles :|
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby RockoWallaby on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Would be interested too.
Untested, tho. Thats the risk of it, I guess.
But much better than nothing. :lol:

What would you do? Just for the one side? Keep the factory recovery point on the other?
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:52 pm

you would get a lot higher rated point if it were closed (say 10mm plate with 25mm surrounding the hole)
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:56 pm

you would think a mechanical engineer would be able to work something out like this cough cough coxy47...oooohhh your just a student :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :D :D
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby snowman on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:57 pm

chick_magnet_0001 wrote:you would get a lot higher rated point if it were closed (say 10mm plate with 25mm surrounding the hole)

i think the advantage of the hook is the ease of use and lack of shackle projectile if the 'human element' does not put the shackle on properly.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:03 pm

Tex wrote:
chick_magnet_0001 wrote:you would get a lot higher rated point if it were closed (say 10mm plate with 25mm surrounding the hole)

The ones I'm talking about are 10mm or so plate bent to an 'L' with a largish hole/oval for a shackle NOT a hook.

ohh i somehow got the idea it was going to just be a bigger version of the hook we have now :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: MY BAD :twisted: :lol: :lol:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:12 pm

snowman wrote:

i think the advantage of the hook is the ease of use and lack of shackle projectile if the 'human element' does not put the shackle on properly.

agreed... probably why im not to fussed about this rated thing, im not stupid enough :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :roll: to drive into mud hole where i can't dig the car out first before attempting to recover it safely with limited pressure on the equipment....but for the rest of you crazies....***insert a host of QLD members**** [censored] you guys need this :lol: :lol:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby coxy47 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:21 pm

chick_magnet_0001 wrote:you would think a mechanical engineer would be able to work something out like this cough cough coxy47...oooohhh your just a student :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :D :D

Haha not any more just finished my last semester. :twisted:

I'm generally inclined to go with the hook design as its one less thing to break. Tex is dead on with the reasoning. One less weak point is always better.

With an add on recovery point, the failure load at the mounting point on the chassis will nearly always be lower then the hook.
coxy47

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:54 pm

hmm, I still reckon plate has to be stronger than those hooks that people have posted above. I know they're supposed to be rated and all but they just don't look as strong to me. I reckon my shackles are maybe twice as thick or more than the narrowest bits on those hooks.

Cowboy Dave

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:09 pm

coxy47 wrote:
chick_magnet_0001 wrote:you would think a mechanical engineer would be able to work something out like this cough cough coxy47...oooohhh your just a student :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :D :D

Haha not any more just finished my last semester. :twisted:

I'm generally inclined to go with the hook design as its one less thing to break. Tex is dead on with the reasoning. One less weak point is always better.

With an add on recovery point, the failure load at the mounting point on the chassis will nearly always be lower then the hook.

congrats, got a job lined up?
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby sm60089 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:18 am

Not having looked under the front of mine yet, but would there be anything to stop you picking up on all four bolts in HC's pic?

The Chassis would probably be the weak point but a machined fitting properly heat treated could be fairly easily designed (with a few lug analysis calc's), especially if you could put a plate on the other side too.
sm60089

Postby coxy47 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:32 am

chick_magnet_0001 wrote:
congrats, got a job lined up?

Thanks mate and yeah i have.

sm60089 wrote:Not having looked under the front of mine yet, but would there be anything to stop you picking up on all four bolts in HC's pic?

The Chassis would probably be the weak point but a machined fitting properly heat treated could be fairly easily designed (with a few lug analysis calc's), especially if you could put a plate on the other side too.

As far as i know theres no reason that you couldnt pick up on all 4 bolts though i wouldnt think its particularly necessary. Its easy enough to get a couple of pre-fabbed recovery hooks on each side of the car and share the load with an equalizer strap across each side.
coxy47

Recovery points

Postby tukadafoonday on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:31 am

Does anyone know of rear recovery points if you don't have a tow bar for the recovery hitch?
tukadafoonday

Recovery points

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:52 am

Mitsubishi sells a genuine tow hook. They come fitted to some of the lower spec models if there is no tow bar fitted. Search tow hook in here and you may even find some pictures.

Cowboy Dave

Postby tukadafoonday on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:43 am

Thanks cd
tukadafoonday

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:18 am

Mitsubishi genuine rear tow hook.

It's still sitting on my bench. Free to good home.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Quinny on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:26 am

Mate, I'll grab that with postage of course ;)
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:29 am

Quinny67 wrote:Mate, I'll grab that with postage of course ;)

You going driving on sand again Mr plow? :P
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:31 am

borngeek wrote:
Quinny67 wrote:Mate, I'll grab that with postage of course ;)

You going driving on sand again Mr plow? :P

errrr... maybe :lol:

At the moment I've got no recovery points at the back :oops: ... Until I get my rear bar, anyways :)
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:28 am

Come to think of it I have one of those somewhere too. Now if only I could recall where :oops: :oops:

Cowboy Dave

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 am

Stolen from another forum- but I have seen these bend, and this is the science to prove it.

I can't make the picture display smaller and the right side with the scale has been cropped off it. If you right click and hit "view image" then it'll show the whole picture in a new window. You'll be able to see the stress scale etc.
Peak stress is roughly 1000MPa, mild steel starts to bend around 250MPa.

Basically that hook would have to be made from extremely high strength steel to not bend at the 4500kg stamped on the side of it.
Being that they're cast, my guess is pig iron and I wouldn't trust them at the rating they're sold at.

After doing that, I'll be putting in my own design recovery eyes and only using hooks for mild recovery.

Some more info- would love to find the actual article rather than the quote, but gives some idea- NOT ALL HOOKS are the same.
I have carried out several hook tests on a test rig.
The bighorn hook with 10mm bolts snaps the bolts around 5 tonne
Drilled out to 12 mm, 8.8 bolts still fail but 10.9s hold till the hook breaks @ 8.18 tonnes.
The Black Rat Black hook snapped around 5 Tonne
The Black Rat Chrome hook straightened around 5 Tonne
The Supa Cheap Ridge Rider Black hook snapped around 8 Tonne
The Bush Ranger Black hook straightened around 5 Tonne
3/4 shank towball snapped around 8 Tonne
Pintle Hook/Nato Coupling stripped the 10mm mounting bolts ie Patrol, around 12 Tonne
Pintle Hook with 12mm 8.8 bolts stalled the test rig around 20 Tonne
The Snatchmaster hooks from Cookes straighten around 9.8 Tonne, this opens a new can of worms as the M12x1.75 bolts broke first.

Standard Toyota L/C hooks straighten @ 4.6 tonnes,
Hilux hooks however, by design, push the rope further away from the mounting plane of the bolts, causing the rear bolt to stretch and snap , then shearing the front bolt, 8.8 bolts failing @ 4.5 tonnes.

The Cookes hooks consistently have the highest rating straightening at arround 8 to 9 Tonnes but the bolts they supply are sometimes only 4.6 instead of 8.8 and both of these can let go before the hook straightens.
A Cookes hook with 1/2" grade 8 bolts is my answer.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby fraz91 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:19 pm

It's interesting that the SCA option broke at 8T, actually outlasting some of the gear that would be considered "higher quality". That being said, it snapped, which would mean there was a projectile. Much more dangerous when you consider a bent one would need to be replaced anyway.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:34 pm

note also that the testing would have been static- in a test bed and force applied slowly.

Think to any snatch recovery and the forces are instant (and usually underestimated).

SO IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE SNATCH STRAP IS THE WEAKEST LINK

one of the reasons "rated points disappeared" was the purchase of 16,000kg straps (stronger than the chassis) because the lighter straps were breaking - that should be telling you something- not that you need to get a thicker strap. (sorry for harping- back in my box)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods