Recovery points

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Recovery points

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:49 pm

4wd26 wrote:I had another look at the front of mine tonight- have looked before as well. Going to be mighty difficult to construct IMO. Chassis has ripples for crush tubes

But I will put my hand up for one for each side- if it can be done.

x2 Tex. Both ARB deluxe.

probably someone over there has one for an expert look.

OL in Penrith just shook their heads when i asked. other issue is not compromising approach angles.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Recovery points

Postby fridgie on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:57 pm

This got me thinking....

With the ARB bar (haven't looked yet, gotta go to bed VERY soon :roll: )

With the wings removed do you have access to the chassis mounting bolts? might be able to mount one there?? :?
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:58 pm

fridgie wrote:This got me thinking....

With the ARB bar (haven't looked yet, gotta go to bed VERY soon :roll: )

With the wings removed do you have access to the chassis mounting bolts? might be able to mount one there?? :?

nope- I have the wings removed- nothing easy I'm afraid.....
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby trumpy955 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:39 am

Cant something be made up that goes where the winch would mount ?? (in the case of people who have yet to fit a winch )
and for the rear... i guess a rear bar with a towbar attachment will have to be my option.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby MN GLXR on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Hahahahah who needs difflocks, traction control blah blah blah when you have a Cat D5 handy?

Nice. :D
MN GLXR

Postby snowman on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:49 pm

trumpy955 wrote:Cant something be made up that goes where the winch would mount ?? (in the case of people who have yet to fit a winch )
and for the rear... i guess a rear bar with a towbar attachment will have to be my option.

Trumpy,

from my knowledge the winch bars actually utilise a winch 'cradle' which mounts directly to the chassis and not so much the bar.

you could fabricate a component that bolts up like the cradle does, but it would be a lot of work. also the cradle by way of the winch itself would have the load spread across a wide area. mounting a recovery hook to one point inside or to the bar would not be a good idea. Again if you made something to bolt in and share the load it would be OK.

don't forget all these items are rated via testing and making something up yourself could be risky if you are not competent.

i reckon one of the custom options to explore would be a recovery point penetrating the bar itself and has some form of location off the chassis rail, where you could insert a temporary hitch receiver and shackle. you cant have a permanent protrusion sticking forward of the bar for rego. you could just place it in the receiver when offroad like we do with the towbar versions.

Tassie Triton or one of those blokes has a tow hitch receiver to the front of their car.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:58 pm

There's a big difference between a winch cradle mount which is made for slow steady pulls and little shock loading to a snatch recovery type point which has to be able to take a high shock loading.

If you were going to mount a tow hitch receiver to be used for recoveries it would have to be fully engineered and built along the same lines as a heavy duty towbar. Then you can have issues with crumple rates, airbags etc. Those guys who have tow hitch receivers on the front mostly have them just for convenient manouvreing of trailers, not recovery.

Most bullbars are made to take the force of a collision so are built with crush cans in the mounts. This is no good for the pulling force of a recovery. Consider also that recovering using a bridle strap can place unwanted forces compressing the chassis. Mitsubishi's own testing showed their recovery points more than adequate at the front and a recovery hitch mounted in a towbar to work without any chassis deformation at the rear.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:05 pm

seem these guys advertised in the latest 4x4 australia mag.
note the from tow hitch

Powerful 4x4 accessories
http://www.powerful4x4.net.au/store/product.php?productid=17516
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby al coholic on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:40 pm

You guys see any reason why i cant mount a "rated tow hook" to either side of the bullbar where it bolts to the chassis and run a bridal strap between the two for snatch recoveries??? The two bolts circled in red actually go through the chassis i think from memory......the lower ones are through a bracket which clamps "around" the chassis.

As i dont have those stupid wing pieces like the ARB bars......there is nothing in the way of attaching the snatch strap......unless the recovery vehicle was up hill about 45deg.......then the strap would rub on the underedge of the bar.... :?

(Click for full size)
Click to view larger picture

Something like this i think
Last edited by al coholic on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 pm

al coholic wrote:You guys see any reason why i cant mount a "rated tow hook" to either side of the bullbar where it bolts to the chassis and run a bridal strap between the two for snatch recoveries??? The two bolts circled in red actually go through the chassis i think from memory......the lower ones are through a bracket which clamps "around" the chassis.

As i dont have those stupid wing pieces like the ARB bars......there is nothing in the way of attaching the snatch strap......unless the recovery vehicle was up hill about 45deg.......then the strap would rub on the underedge of the bar.... :?

(Click for full size)

Ben
If they go through the chassis, then you should be able to purchase longer high tensile bolts and get somebody to fabricate a decent piece of bent plate to attach your hooks to, if the hooks dont line up with the bolt centres.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:07 am

They look just like the Oposite Lock hooks that will line up perfect...they make them for the same mount bolts on the xrox bar from memory...Kwyji has one on either side of his.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby motoz on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:13 am

4wd26 wrote:seem these guys advertised in the latest 4x4 australia mag.
note the from tow hitch

Powerful 4x4 accessories
http://www.powerful4x4.net.au/store/product.php?productid=17516

Some good features on the bar though there not available for the Triton :(
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TwoDogs on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:17 am

Diddy wrote:towball is good enuff for me. with a 15ton rating it would be a hell of alot tuffer than the factory recovery tow points . i have been recovering people off the towball for as long as i have been driving and never had a problem and we use to use truckies chains (6mm) to snatch out bogged gear thats right we use to use them just as you would a snatch strap and never did any damage to the towball or chain .

Try telling that to this lady's family, you been lucky mate.

A MOTHER-OF-THREE has died in a freak accident along the beach in Geraldton today.
The 29-year-old woman was hit in the throat by a towball which broke as her car attempted to pull another vehicle out from sand dunes at Drummond Cove just after 11am.

It is understood her car was reversing out when the towball snapped and flung into the front passenger window of the woman's vehicle, hitting her in the throat.

She was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment but died a short time later.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 6118702921
TwoDogs

Postby tukadafoonday on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:56 am

Oh dear, so very sad.

Whats worse is the news paper then gives advise for recoveries as if they are towing a trailor.

Cant wait for my Xrox bar and rates recovery points!
tukadafoonday

Postby Homer on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:40 am

TwoDogs wrote:
Diddy wrote:towball is good enuff for me. with a 15ton rating it would be a hell of alot tuffer than the factory recovery tow points . i have been recovering people off the towball for as long as i have been driving and never had a problem and we use to use truckies chains (6mm) to snatch out bogged gear thats right we use to use them just as you would a snatch strap and never did any damage to the towball or chain .

Try telling that to this lady's family, you been lucky mate.

A MOTHER-OF-THREE has died in a freak accident along the beach in Geraldton today.
The 29-year-old woman was hit in the throat by a towball which broke as her car attempted to pull another vehicle out from sand dunes at Drummond Cove just after 11am.

It is understood her car was reversing out when the towball snapped and flung into the front passenger window of the woman's vehicle, hitting her in the throat.

She was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment but died a short time later.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 6118702921

Good post mate. We don't need people being told dumb, dangerous information on here when there are at least a dozen deaths a year and many more unreported injuries from unsafe and inexperienced recovery practices.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Mooons on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:50 am

Where do you get a tow ball rated to 15T pretty sure mines only 3T :shock:
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:12 pm

tukadafoonday wrote:Oh dear, so very sad.

can't agree more....from a nice day on the beach with the family to a life changing tragedy. sounds like they were also doing a big snatch in reverse as well, so probably not a lot of experience there.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dinos4x4 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:08 pm

I hope your not serious a lady just got killed in WA from a tow ball snapping during a recovery , they are not made for shock loads.
dinos4x4

Recovery points

Postby patrolus on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Well, use some common sense. Just because it worked fine for years doesn't mean it's safe.... Look around a building site in Thailand, all the trades have been in the game for years and done the job a 100 times. Still it surprises me they survive the first day......
Obviously the tow ball might be up for the job, I bet there are 20 successful towball recoveries around the country every day. By ppl that don't know better. We just don't hear about it.
And it doesn't make it safe.
We all check for traffic before crossing the street, but it doesn't mean u ll get automatically hit by a car if u forget it once.
If it is a known risk that is easily avoided then just f'$&@ avoid it. Simple as that.
patrolus

Postby Hymie on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:29 pm

Good post Patrolus

If it is a known risk that is easily avoided then just f'$&@ avoid it. Simple as that.

SIMPLE AS THAT
People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MLTRIT08 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:12 pm

dinos4x4 wrote:

I hope your not serious a lady just got killed in WA from a tow ball snapping during a recovery , they are not made for shock loads.

Heres the link...
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/828 ... lls-wa-mum
MLTRIT08

Postby maxtriton on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:28 am

After a pretty deep bog on the weekend my front recovery point's a bit bent... dealer reckons it's a body shop job so going to drop in and see what they have to say tomorrow. Pretty sure the rear TJM bar was dragging and scooping mud as i was being recovered which would have added to the load.
maxtriton

Re: Re: Recovery points

Postby Bennys on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:07 am

maxtriton wrote:After a pretty deep bog on the weekend my front recovery point's a bit bent... dealer reckons it's a body shop job so going to drop in and see what they have to say tomorrow. Pretty sure the rear TJM bar was dragging and scooping mud as i was being recovered which would have added to the load.

That's a bit scary really. Wonder how much more it would have taken before failing or bending so fat as to release the strap.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Bennys

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:01 pm

:shock: that makes me rethink putting a shackle on there from now on :|

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby helicoptercow on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:28 pm

doesn't leave you with many options though Homer. Haven't put my head under to look at how the hook is mounted, but might have to look at just replacing it with something rated if its a bolt on fixture.

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods