Recovery points

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Recovery points

Postby coxy47 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:03 pm

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the hook is welded on. It would probably be worth while looking into a rated recovery point though.
coxy47

Postby borngeek on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:11 pm

For heavy load recoveries I have been involved in. (of myself of course :oops: )
A bridle strap was used to distribute the load between the two points.

similar to this:
Click to view larger picture
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby helicoptercow on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:24 pm

just looking at that photo. Those with rated points on their front bars might want to start looking into their use more. With the rise of the xrox bar in particular, didn't i hear they have rated points? and arb?

bridle strap is a brilliant idea too geek, have to add that one to the list. :D

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kevin on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:40 pm

^ I use a tree truck protector as a bridle / distribution strap. Then serves 2 purposes.
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby har05l on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:43 pm

helicoptercow wrote:bridle strap is a brilliant idea too geek, have to add that one to the list. :D

Didn't we use this method at sugarloaf cow when you got a little wet :oops: :lol: :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby helicoptercow on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:54 pm

har05l wrote:
helicoptercow wrote:bridle strap is a brilliant idea too geek, have to add that one to the list. :D

Didn't we use this method at sugarloaf cow when you got a little wet :oops: :lol: :lol:

dont know mate, i was still in the car... there was a crazy driver raging through the mud, i didn't want to get out :D :lol:

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hymie on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:56 pm

On Stradie yesterday Dave from P7 was telling us that you should always use a Bridle strap as what is happening more and more is when a difficult recovery is being performed using just the "tie down" it is stretching or twisting the chassis on the newer vehicles.

I will now be using my tree trunk protector as a bridle whenever either being recovered or doing a recovery.

Looking at the photo of maxtriton the bolts holding the bar on (4 bolts straight above the recovery point) the top 2 bolts look as though they would be about the same spacing as the 8000lb recovery hooks you buy for $20-$25. If so you could mount a recovery hook sideways on either side of the bar.

As for the xrox bar I think Kyle has mounted 2 recovery points on either side of his bar
People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Yeah there are two places for a rated recovery hook on the Xrox.

What I meant was previously we had been securing the strap to the hook via a shackle as the strap alone sometimes comes off when given slack.

I wont be using a shackle from now on as if it opened like that it would probably spit the shackle at great force :shock:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:18 pm

Nowforthe5th suggested some time ago that one way to address the issue is to put the loop of the snatch strap over the hook and then use a cable tie to keep it on - you'd just need to keep the loop nice and tight and that keeper would see it stay on unless you straightened the whole thing out.

Time for Boycee or Mitch to have a swing at getting some made up I reckon - obvious problem is that there will end up being half a dozen variants required for the different bars and so on.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby tukadafoonday on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Tge xrox bar can take two rated tow hooks and also two rated eyelettes on the front which gives so many options.
tukadafoonday

Postby Split on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:53 pm

My mate bought something similar to this for his 80 series cruiser, they appear to be 10mm thick 316 stainless bent at 90 degree and bolted to the chassis.

http://www.lukeys4x4.com/products/recov ... LC100.html

I havent had a good look yet but if there is somewhere we can bolt them to the front of the tritons then i can cut and bend these at work but i wouldnt be able to get them tested to see what there rating is. 316 has a very high load rating just depends where it was mounted i guess.

Anyone got any ideas?
Split

Postby killa on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:21 pm

316 Stainless Steel doesn't have a great WLL at all, it is too brittle. Those recovery points in your link look to be grade 350 Steel that has been powder coated and would be a much better option.
Cheers,

Cal
killa

Postby al coholic on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:37 pm

That product from Lukey's is what i have seen alot of Patrol's/Cruiser's etc as a recovery point.

IMO....The downfall of something like that is it means you need a shackle to attach a snatch strap.......all well and good.......but if it were me i would much prefer to have as few "potential" missiles in the recovery as possible.

If you had something more like this fitted
Click to view larger picture
It means you can simply attach the strap without the need for a shackle ;) Not sure how the rating of a recovery hook compares to the recovery point like the Lukeys product.......but i imagine either would do the job.

BTW....Nothing at all wrong with using a shackle during a recovery if used properly :) But i have seen 2 rated shackles fail on 2 different occasions.....so for me, i would prefer to do without it if i could 8-)

//I have never needed a shackle or a cable tie to fit a snatch strap to the front recovery hook on the Triton ;)

////The bridal strap is definately the way to do it if you dont have aftermarket recovery points fitted and you think it may take a bit of effort to extract the vehicle
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:45 pm

I have see the above hook bend as well.

Still happy to use the factory hook- make sure you use a blanket on the strap as things can go wrong.

Is there any pics of the vehicle in the bog that bent the factory hook????
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Re: Re: Recovery points

Postby Froggy on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Hymie wrote:On Stradie yesterday Dave from P7 was telling us that you should always use a Bridle strap as what is happening more and more is when a difficult recovery is being performed using just the "tie down" it is stretching or twisting the chassis on the newer vehicles.

I will now be using my tree trunk protector as a bridle whenever either being recovered or doing a recovery.

Looking at the photo of maxtriton the bolts holding the bar on (4 bolts straight above the recovery point) the top 2 bolts look as though they would be about the same spacing as the 8000lb recovery hooks you buy for $20-$25. If so you could mount a recovery hook sideways on either side of the bar.

As for the xrox bar I think Kyle has mounted 2 recovery points on either side of his bar

Adding to this, the recovery points on the prado we hooked up looked to be no stronger than the loop on the triton. Obviously the hook is stronger, but snatching using a bridle between the two would still be better pulling evenly on both chassis rails. I guess it's something we will have to bring up at LCMP in January.
Froggy

Postby Split on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:00 am

I would have thought 316 would be ok this is what the ones he purchased are i believe.

I could also do them out of 350 Gr or even bis500HHA. Does anyone know if there is a safe point to mount them on the truck though?
Split

Postby kevin on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:38 am

For added safety in a recovery where shackles are used consider using axle straps looped through the shackle, the recovery point and the recovery strap itself as added security; even attach it to a nearby point on the car so if anything breaks there is at least a chance it will prevent damage or injury. Even when using just a snatch strap perhaps as I've seen damage caused by just the strap hitting the tailgate of a ute let alone hitting a person!

An axle strap is third item down on this page:
http://www.juststraps.com.au/store/cart ... y_Tie_Down
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby wilbo2 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:46 pm

First beach outing for my MN this weekend. I have driven on the sand a couple of times in other 4wds but have never been involved in a recovery. The trip happened quickly so I was pressed for time and ended up going to super cheap and getting an 8000kg snatchy. I also have some 3t (recently tested and tagged) D-shackles from an old workshop connection. If - as a last resort - a snatch recovery was necessary would I be crazy to use either of the tie down point or tow hook? I love the idea of the bridle strap its just gonna strain the budget that little bit extra but then again I know how you shouldn't put a price on safety. Time is another constraint for me as well but its Thurs so late night shopping perhaps. Looking at that photo of the bent Tow hook has made me worry though :shock: . Also is there any reason not to use D shackles, it seems Bow shackles are more popular? Is this just because they are easier to work with?
wilbo2

Postby Mooons on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:54 pm

I think you'll find that a "D" shackle is used for a straight lift or in our case pull where as a "bow" shackle can handle more of an angle
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Froggy on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:59 pm

Without a bridle strap, definitely go the hook. Much stronger. And you won't get an ordinary 4 3/4t shackle through it. Usually we just put the loop over the hook... Be mindful of the fact it's not the best setup and make sure you use it as a last resort ie. Dig yourself out first (which should always be the first option )
Froggy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:10 pm

Where are you Wilbo? If in Sydney you can borrow my bridle strap - it's still wrapped in plastic and comes from one of the reputable brands.

I've seen a couple of recoveries off that hook and never seen one bent until that recent incident.

Cowboy Dave

Postby wilbo2 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Cheers for the offer CD! Unfortunately I'm in Brissy... it's off to Stradbroke Island for the weekend.
wilbo2

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:19 pm

If you do get bogged take a couple of pics - we like action shots around here.

Cowboy Dave

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:22 pm

froggymicb wrote:Without a bridle strap, definitely go the hook. Much stronger. And you won't get an ordinary 4 3/4t shackle through it. Usually we just put the loop over the hook... Be mindful of the fact it's not the best setup and make sure you use it as a last resort ie. Dig yourself out first (which should always be the first option )

that’s probably the best advise I’ve heard on this thread...."Dig yourself out first" the least amount of mud/sand around under holding the car up the easier it is to pull out=less strain on the car and recovery equipment.

isn't the front loop just a tie down point not a recovery point so wouldn't using a bridle be unsafe, and wasn't the reason mark(the P7 trainer) said new cars should use a bridle strap is because they have a monocoque chassis and not a ladder frame chassis like our tritons.....
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby wilbo2 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:29 pm

Totally agree with you, trusty shovel is ready to go...along with the camera :lol: . I always thought of it as an absolute last resort. So are my 3t D-Shackles too small? Should I get some 4.75t bow shackles? Cool so the MN has a ladder chassis which helps.
wilbo2

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods