MN Drivers f e e d b a c k !

Anything Triton related

MN Drivers f e e d b a c k !

Postby tritionspecn on Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:46 pm

Well now that there is a trickle of MN's coming online, Definately not being inconsiderate to the ML brothers, just thought it would be good to have a localised thread that MN owners/drivers can put down some of their thoughts and feedback on.
I dont think it should be comparative with the ML but..........that is where the MN heritage has come from and I guess its evolution as oposed to revolution. Someone can pull me up on it or give some more guidelines to build this thread mainly for the purpose of highlighting all the pro's and con's for the MN and help out those that would look to potentially buy the MN.

I start with basically happy with it thus far, been very limited with the driving, still driving it in and trying to look for little things to report on. I can say that I am usually a good parker of cars and know my limits, but I tell you what, I am stumped with the parking of this thing. I would recomend a rear parking camera or sensors if at all posible. It aint that easy and I am not that confident.
As mentioned elsewhere, the 5 speed Auto is just a pleasure to drive in. Very smooth unit. The first gear is a bit tardy to start then reeeoowwww and then gets a bit more normal after that.

The 2.5 hp motor is free flowing and very revy/responsive. The Turbo does make its presence felt and can hear it whirling along witht people in other cars and out on the street. I am still out on the ability of how the 2.5 hp with heavier loads and towing 2tones plus.

Cheers
Last edited by tritionspecn on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tritionspecn

Re: MN Drivers Feedback!!

Postby subi_man on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:21 am

good thread <subscribed> 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Mongo on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:24 pm

Yeh good idea Tspecn keep the info coming Im so looking forward to hearing about heavy loads and towing ability love our ml and definately want to update when the time comes. 8-)
Mongo

Postby tryhard on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Hey tritionspecn - totally agree with your idea, and the comments :)

I posted somewhere else my initial thoughts so to avoid double posting :

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3965&start=25

I agree, bad things are slow to take off in first, a buggar to reverse, and possibly won't be the tow vehicle the ML was (yet to be tried)

The good things, with reversing camera fitted is a breeze to reverse now :) ... and it is a killer on-road. Looking forward to some off road soon-ish

Have fun with the new ute :)
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Postby ag9111 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:59 pm

What about the extra lenght tryhard. Any drama's with that in the garage/carport etc. Bit concerned when i get mine as it was a tight fit for the ML when trying to open the freezer in the garage. Dont know how the MN will go
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tryhard on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:10 pm

First time anyone has ever accused me of having too much length :) Mate it sticks out even in typical shopping centre carparks, which makes it easy to find as my ute is always the one with it's ar$e hanging 2 feet out in the lane :)

I'm fortunate to have a drive-through style carport thing so it hasn't mattered at home .... but you will definitely notice the extra size if your ML is already a bit squeezy .. guess they want to appeal to tradies etc. - I'd be happy with one of the old tubs on it (which apparently still fit if you can find one).
---

tryhard

Postby tritionspecn on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:18 pm

I am noticing my driving is way over to the left, the mirrors are a bit out of whack!!!!! :? . Up close but far away!!! I did some cruising tonight and was getting 8.7l/km on flat windy roads, some stop starts but unloaded 2 people. Doing some moving of heavy shelves over the weekend, wanna see how she goes loaded to about a 1ton. Question to others out there- I did not get a tow bar from dealer, has any one got one from anywhere else, quoting $760 odd????

Oh I forgot to mention, they did something f....ed with my pre delivery, the paint work looks crap. There are extra swirls and other swirls inside that. Like cat paws all over. The triton was buffed/polished all over and it looks crap in direct sunlight, took it to stealer trying to pass the buck as is, I told him if he can find another car looking like it, i will drop my case!!!! :x . Was told to bring it back on a cool day to give it a once over again. Guys what should I do here??? I would love to hear some of your opinions, can get some picks up on sat morning?? I did not pick it up at delivery, would have told them to keep it!! Also why they polishing a brand new car??????????? Was told the dark blue has natural swirls already. I have never seen anything like it, am disapointed about that. Have had the merc Blue black. very similar colour and nothing like it!!! Any thoughts ????
Cheers Nuri
tritionspecn

Postby tryhard on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:37 pm

Aranda Towbars expect to have one by end Nov for the MN, around $500 fitted I was told
No idea on the paint issues, haven't noticed on mine, but dogs already scratching the gunmetal :)
---

tryhard

Postby Homer on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:29 am

I would double check how any tow bar is going to sit before buying.

The ML tow bars mostly hang too low (they bottom out all the time off road) unless going for ARB rear bar (there maybe another as well that I don't know about) and with the barge arse on the ML I reckon there will be a few tow bar issues until some one makes up a good one that is higher.

It really is an issue with the ML so would expect the same or worse with MN.
Maybe the low tow bar will stop the long ML tray from hitting on departures?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:32 am

The MN towbar is going to cost more than the ML as they have to put chassis extenders in. MItsi's will charge through the nose for these just like anything else. That's why the towing capacity drops.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:31 am

tritionspecn wrote:I am noticing my driving is way over to the left, the mirrors are a bit out of whack!!!!! :? . Up close but far away!!! I did some cruising tonight and was getting 8.7l/km on flat windy roads, some stop starts but unloaded 2 people. Doing some moving of heavy shelves over the weekend, wanna see how she goes loaded to about a 1ton. Question to others out there- I did not get a tow bar from dealer, has any one got one from anywhere else, quoting $760 odd????

Oh I forgot to mention, they did something f....ed with my pre delivery, the paint work looks crap. There are extra swirls and other swirls inside that. Like cat paws all over. The triton was buffed/polished all over and it looks crap in direct sunlight, took it to stealer trying to pass the buck as is, I told him if he can find another car looking like it, i will drop my case!!!! :x . Was told to bring it back on a cool day to give it a once over again. Guys what should I do here??? I would love to hear some of your opinions, can get some picks up on sat morning?? I did not pick it up at delivery, would have told them to keep it!! Also why they polishing a brand new car??????????? Was told the dark blue has natural swirls already. I have never seen anything like it, am disapointed about that. Have had the merc Blue black. very similar colour and nothing like it!!! Any thoughts ????
Cheers Nuri

Nuri - there is no such thing as paint that comes with its own 'natural swirls', so that's just the dealer looking for an out. Some colours/paints will swirl easier than others, but its sounds to me like they've got a cowboy on their rotary polisher.

If it was me, I'd negotiate some cash-back from the dealer (you've paid for the vehicle prep with the dealer delivery fee) and then take it to a detailer who knows what they are doing. Get it re-polished (de-swirled) and a quality wax applied like Zaino or something similar. May cost $300 or so, but it will look a million dollars, way better than any dealer will ever do it.

Take it back to the same idiots and you'll end up with a few layers less paint, and if you are really lucky, they may burn through a few edges as well... :shock:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby quigs on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi All,

Picked up my bright red MN about three weeks ago. Having orininally said no to the red but then deciding i didnt want to wait I now love it.

I went the dealer fitted tow bar and admit it looks pretty low to me and will be a problem off road.

The slow take off in first gives me the pip! once the turbo clicks in its all go go go but the initial lag is very annoying and a bit dangerous I think. Is this something that can be adjusted? It does seem a little noisier than i thought it would have been at slow speeds but is pretty good once cruising.

Apart from that its a great car to drive, Mine goes in for itd 1500k service on Monday, it will be up to 2000 k by then.

I have towed my boat twice with it, it only weighs about 1600 kgs and it towed far better than the Territory did. I only went a few K's to the local ramp and didnt push hard as its still pretty young. Looking to tow the camper trailer up bush next weekend so will report more.

The fuel economy is great!! I havnt been taking it over easy, running it in by working the rev range fairly agressively, to a point, and certainly not driving for economy but getting figures in stop start around town of 9.6 and on a trip to the prom this week over 400k return ended up with figures of 8.6 with three people and a tub full of gear.

Blue tooth is the best i have used, sound system does the job nicely.
It is pretty long to park and I will also go the reverse camera option but just need to decide which one is the way to go.. I changed the tyres over right away to Coopers and I reckon it corners much better than with the doughnuts that were on it.

Seats seem fine, obviously not the same horror as the ML versions, Space in the cabin is great although it seems a lot narrower its very roomy, back seat passengers havent complained at all.

At this point I am very happy with my purchase and I'm generally pretty critical.

Next step for me is deciding which canopy I buy.

Quigs
quigs

Postby tritionspecn on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:53 pm

Cheers Steane,
Yep does not look right at all!!! I will put up some pics on Sat to see. Even in the night light you can see the crap paint work on it! I cant believe it really. I dont know why someone would polish/buff a brand new car all over. Even the roof and sides. I think I will get a second opinion on what to do from a couple of panel/detail shops. Thanks mate I was starting to think I was being a bit overly sensative.
tritionspecn

Postby sierra on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:23 pm

tritionspecn,

Do you think it might have been transported by train and spotted by the steel particles from the wheels so they 'had' to buff it?

quigs,

If it's an auto have you tried lightly loading it by left foot braking? Surely you could take off under boost smoking the tyres if you stomped on it and let the brake off, so a compromise should solve the problem?
:?
sierra

Postby patto on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:31 pm

Long to park - i will give you my F250 to park. Luckily for me it has a rear parking sensor (towbar).
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Postby tryhard on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:33 am

Homer wrote:I would double check how any tow bar is going to sit before buying.

I always use Aranda as they usually fabricate to suit the model and I found the one on the ML sat well, high and tight into chassis.

The stealer said $750 for factory towbar I think, Aranda told me $500 should cover the new model when it is available (end this month) - I'll post some pics and confirm price once mine's fitted.
---

tryhard

Postby tryhard on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:39 am

tritionspecn wrote: Thanks mate I was starting to think I was being a bit overly sensative.

F*** that ! $45K + of your hard-earned dollars and a stealer gives you a product that's been attacked by an imbecile ?! WTF do they charge "Dealer Delivery" of $1,000 for ?? That's where they take off an blemishes to give you a beaut new-looking car.

Mate act quick and keep diary notes of who you spoke to and what was said, so the stealer can't accuse you of 'accepting' the car by not giving (forcing!) them a chance to fix things. If you don't get it sorted you'll be tired of seeing those swirl marks every morning in your driveway :(
---

tryhard

Postby tryhard on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:47 am

BTW I agree with Steane, try not to let the stealer offer their 'expertise' to fix it, it'll just happen at the expense of a few layers of * your * paint ! Get a quote and take it in and tell them you expect them to fix up the professional for the work (or give you a new ute). I have bought 2 new Tritons in the last year and neither had any sign of swirl marks ... the stealer should just be honest with you and tell you why they felt the need to interfere with it ...

I had a similar thing taking a new Navara back to the geniuses at Ian Boettcher motors Ipswich because the front drivers wheel was squealing as I turned corners, was massively out of alignment. They 'fixed' it at brand new - had done about 700km, and at 4,800 km the front tyre was completely scrubbed out. Some people just don't give a sh*t about the quality of their work.
---

tryhard

Postby tryhard on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:53 am

quigs wrote:The slow take off in first gives me the pip! once the turbo clicks in its all go go go but the initial lag is very annoying and a bit dangerous I think. Is this something that can be adjusted? It does seem a little noisier than i thought it would have been at slow speeds but is pretty good once cruising.

You're lucky yours only gives you the pip, because mine gives me the sh*ts ! I thought it was just me when I first mentioned that slow take-off as one of the few negatives, but in 900km I reckon I've had 3 close calls where it just doesn't move when it should- only ever from a standstill and only ever on difficult roundabouts or intersections where the lay of the land leaves little room for error. While underway giving it a boot she goes fine ... it's only ever when its dragging it's big arse from a standing start.

I'm not keen on loading it up with my foot on the brake because if I make that a habit I can see a blown gearbox in my future ... will see if the stealer can adjust at the 1,500 km checkover if I don't get there before, but I'm guessing there isn't much adjustment. I tried moving into sport manual mode and holding it in first but still feels the same to me.

Please let us know if you have any joy at service time :)
---

tryhard

Postby quigs on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:14 am

Thanks for the advice sierra but its a manual.

Tryhard I will be getting the first service Monday so will see if there is something to be done

Quigs
quigs

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:41 am

quigs wrote:Thanks for the advice sierra but its a manual.
Tryhard I will be getting the first service Monday so will see if there is something to be done
Quigs

That's interesting then. Could be the traction control and a tweak of the ECU will fix it when they get sick of the complaints? Could simply be the difference in torque off boost which will be the same as my 2.5 but with less of a step up.
I have been caught out in first, desperate for the boost, usually idling along in first and 650 - 1500 can seem an eternity when you need power now. Had the same thing with the WRX and GSR T and got caught off boost when I needed power but there was always enough off the line driving normally and that's why I suspect the traction control might be too invasive on the MN?
:?
sierra

Postby snowman on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:49 am

sierra wrote: Could be the traction control and a tweak of the ECU will fix it when they get sick of the complaints? Could simply be the difference in torque off boost which will be the same as my 2.5 but with less of a step up.:?

it could be anything but surely it couldn't be the little cubic inch motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:12 am

snowman wrote:it could be anything but surely it couldn't be the little cubic inch motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o

There's not that much difference in capacity. If they both put out the same torque per cc then the 2.5 will produce 22% less but the twin cam head on the 2.5 should add a bit to the bottom line off boost? It's not like ones a big V8 and the others a twin cylinder 660cc
:roll: :D :D
sierra

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:24 pm

Just got back a run out and tried out a few different things.
I normally take off in 1st unless it's a bit downhill, light throttle and change into 2nd early.
Tried using about 1/3 throttle from the lights and 2/3 when the clutch was out. No hesitation at all, just launched and I changed up when the tyres started squealing. Felt like a boy racer but proved a point.
Also tried trickling along in 2nd at about 1,000rpm and giving it about 2/3 throttle suddenly. Not much happened, just a steady acceleration until it got up to about 1,600rpm + and pulled hard with boost.

It sounds as if the MN manual wont launch like that when needed and I would say it's odds on it's the traction control.
:? :) :D
sierra

Postby sam on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:24 pm

snowman wrote:
sierra wrote: Could be the traction control and a tweak of the ECU will fix it when they get sick of the complaints? Could simply be the difference in torque off boost which will be the same as my 2.5 but with less of a step up.:?

it could be anything but surely it couldn't be the little cubic inch motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o

Snowman there's just NO way it could have anything to do with what you've suggested :lol: but I must admit I haven't had any problems with lack of grunt off the line in our new ML .

Also just to let you know sierra the 3.2's have a twin cam head and always have ;)
Last edited by sam on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sam

Next

Return to General Discussion