MQ Triton MY16 trip report new model launch/ review

Anything Triton 2016+ related

MQ Triton MY16 trip report new model launch/ review

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:12 am

Well this is it the trip report

I was lucky enough to get invited along to the Mitsubishi Australia launch of the all new triton.

All guests were assembled in Brisbane for a flight to Hervey Bay, plane was delayed and that was to be the story of my 2 day trip.

Once at Hervey Bay we had a surprise and that was transfers to Fraser Island were to be on light aircraft and land on the beach 8-), only problem not enough planes for all the guests so I sat around for 30mins as did a couple of others.

Click to view larger picture

great flight before setting down near Eurong resort and catch our first glimpse of the new tritons.

MMA had provided plenty of tritons to test, and quite a few variants

The range is now

GLX= GLX for the past, steel wheels tradie pack
GLS= GLX-r from the past
Exceed= luxury pack or GLS from the past, with leather seats and a few other goodies that I'll get to.

After a great lunch and introductions it was in to the first drive test, heading North (one group headed North one group headed south) we met up again at lake Mackenzie.

so I chose the club cab, loved the clam shell doors, and there is a lot of room back there. Being a GLX this was a manual, which is now a 6 speed, with a push down away and up to select reverse.

This is the base spec, and I was quite surprised at the functionality provided in this "base" model, and yay we have additional spots for switches

The steering wheel is adjustable to tilt and is also telescopic.

The seats, well the seats are a vast improvement over the previous model, and even though I have upgraded my ML triton to have factory leather adjustable seats (so an improvement over the standard factory ones) these are another class again, probably not as supportive as some stratos seats as have been fitted to some tritons, but at the same time more user friendly. Thigh support, some slight side bolstering and the foam is compliant. what more can I say then to sit in them yourself, sadly they don't look to be able to be retro fitted- I checked......

loving the handles all interior ones are fold back, increasing head room, and the cabin space is more square through the pillars to increase shoulder room compared to the previous model, and dimensionally only 10mm smaller width than a ranger, smart use of cabin space ;)

The front handle is sturdy and a great addition for passenger comfort when the going gets a bit rough, but still no vanity mirror in the GLX, behind the sun shade/ visor.

The chassis has seen some improvements as has the suspension, the biggest improvement is to the ride

They have done this by increasing the size of the factory dampeners (shocks) as well as the front stabilizer bar and increasing the length of the rear springs by 120mm, the hangers have both been moved and the wheel base remains the same.
Now the tray mounts (most of the load) are inside the suspension mounts, and additional bracing to the chassis above the bumpstop

GLS, Exceed rear bar for comparison.

Drive impressions
Engine/ cabin noise, what an improvement, the vehicle is quiet, the build of the dash and trim pieces is now more refined, tactile to the touch, more like passenger vehicle.

The clutch was light, easy engagement of the gears, and real easy to find a comfortable seating position.

Without the lowrange gear knob on your left hand thigh and the addition of a foot rest the manual drive was very comfortable. BUT I did find that now the handle/ window up down trim was just a little too far forward and touching my right thigh

air-condition worked well in the GLX and the radio has usb input, although this base model didn't like communicating with my iphone 4s, but later models of phones (and the other radio versions, touch screen types had no worries)

The drive took us North in then inland, the torque of the engine was evident with the manual.
I played around with the different options available through the transfer, in this case it is easy select (super select standard on the GLS and Exceed) and would find the engine could drive from as low as 500rpm, would actually pull from 900rpm and really come on song at 1400rpm. That I found worked beautifully with the 6 speed manual as you were never I the wrong gear and even testing it to its limits through sand hills, trying to test/ stall the engine would see it still able to maintain momentum. I like this engine and gearbox ;) I never thought I would say that as I stuck with my ML (3.2 engine for the torque and drivability) that I never found with the MN and the 2.5

Stop over and vehicle change

Genuine accessories, hard lid, roof racks, alloys and in a first a genuine snorkel.

GLS with 5 speed auto from the Pajero (NOT the 5 speed from the current model triton)

cloth insert in the trim above the door handle, the plastics where the grab handle is and the switches is harder and seems to be molded coloured rather than the pain seen on the previous models and a huge storage pocket in the bottom of the door.

roll bar redesign, tray is slightly smaller as the cabin is slightly bigger, but the cabin retains the distinctive "j line" providing rear seat passenger comfort of 25 degrees as well as providing cabin room on a smaller wheelbase vehicle

Like I have mentioned elsewhere it is not about how big a vehicle is, it is how you use that room and smart design methodology.

all variants sported the chrome grill, this is the club cab GLX from the front

The vehicle sports a huge intercooler BUT the bash plate hangs down low, and for no apparent reason is very steeply angled, the part you can see through the grill is a plastic strip (deflector) around 50mm high, this is why the bash plate is lowered, remove the plastic deflector and you gain 50mm up

GLX tub without the trims/ rear step of the GLS and Exceed, there is some nice rear departure angle available when the step is removed

vehicle change over time
this time a GLS 5 speed auto, comes standard with led running lights and HID projector headlights 8-)

more to come.......
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Re: MQ Triton MY16 tritp report

Postby psaunders on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:31 am

That's a good read :) I'm actually starting to like the new triton! More switch blanks 8-)
Shame I didn't wait 12 months oh well you win some you lose some.
psaunders

Re: MQ Triton MY16 trip report

Postby snowman on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:06 am

6 speed manual OR the Paj 5 speed - damn i wish i had those tough decisions on the ML or MN. :cry: :lol:

Nice work Selwyn. :D :D 8-)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Duck on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:09 am

Nice report !
It's like waiting for the next Game of Thrones episode to start........... :)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:30 am

I'm starting to wish that they'd brought this out two years ago when I went for the Pajero rather than the MN.

Sounds like they've addressed a lot of the issues. Waiting with bated breath for the next episode.... :D
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby schem81 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:33 am

Great write up mate. Cant wait to see one up close. Eager to read more.
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
schem81

Postby Jimmar on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:39 am

Nice and very helpful read. Thanks!
If it ain't worth fixing, throw it away!!!
Jimmar

Postby Steane on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:58 am

Well done 26 8-) . It's growing on me! I hated the ML when I first saw it and now think it's one of the best looking utes ever.

I'm looking forward to seeing one of these tricked out a bit with a lift and some serious tyres and wheels.

I was rolling my eyes last night reading one of the 'pros' write-ups. He seemed more concerned about there not being enough USB ports than anything else. Another described it as looking like a Praying Mantis. You have to wonder about some of these blokes and how qualified they are to actually write the crap they write. Reminded me why I have come to consider most of their nonsense to be largely irrelevant.

We are very lucky to have a chap that actually knows something about 4X4s and the Triton in-particular, at the launch and providing us with real feedback and not just another spec-sheet summary.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lachiem on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:00 am

Steane wrote:Well done 26 8-) . I...

I was rolling my eyes last night reading one of the 'pros' write-ups. He seemed more concerned about there not being enough USB ports than anything else. Another described it as looking like a Praying Mantis. You have to wonder about some of these blokes and how qualified they are to actually write the crap they write. Reminded me why I have come to consider most of their nonsense to be largely irrelevant.

We are very lucky to have a chap that actually knows something about 4X4s and the Triton in-particular, at the launch and providing us with real feedback and not just another spec-sheet summary.

+1 for that. This is by far the most useful car review I've ever read. And still more to come!
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby trouble on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:06 am

Nice work 26!
Now hurry up and finish it :)
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby mIwoo on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:13 am

can you make the pics work please?
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby trouble on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:15 am

They do work
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:16 am

They worked earlier. My guess would be that 26's home server has crashed. And he's probably at his day job now so we may have to wait a while.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:16 am

I think you guys have overloaded my poor little server :oops:
I cannot access it (or the photos) to continue my little review either.

oh well back to work- sorry guys, stay tuned
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby Bazzer87 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:25 am

4wd26 wrote:I think you guys have overloaded my poor little server :oops:
I cannot access it (or the photos) to continue my little review either.

oh well back to work- sorry guys, stay tuned

I have to wait even longer for the next update??? I've already refreshed the page some 50 times! haha :o
MY12 MN Triton
2" Ultimate lift, 285/75R16 Wrangler Duratracs, 1" Body lift, Factory Rear Diff Lock, ARB Canopy, ARB Alloy Roof Racks, Xrox Bullbar, Roo Systems Roof Top Tent, Dual batteries, Draw System
Bazzer87

Postby Snooozy on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:19 pm

nice job 26 8-)

am looking forward to reading more
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby buffhunt on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:29 pm

Good write up, but it's going to torture me not being able to afford one of these for a few years. :mrgreen: Guess that'll give 'em time to debug it! :lol:
Cheers,
buffhunt

The worst bit about growing old is remembering your youth! :shock:
buffhunt
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mickkk on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:41 pm

Was there any mention on the cost of these yet? When is that likely to be released?
I would guess they would be about 5 to 7k cheaper than the Rangers/bt50 to be competive, don't know how they would stack up if it were same price point.

Also was there anything you found (apart from the bash plate design which is on biggie at all as they would be swapped out pretty quick) that you were not too keen on.

It seems rather impressive reviews coming out, but apart from one bloke wingding about usb ports everyone else seems pretty impressed with it.

Will also be interesting if the likes of arb etc will be as quick with aftermarket gear as they were with the Rangers etc.

Also was there mention of selling the old ones along side the new ones like they did the the d22 navaras? Or will they be seasing production of the mn's.

Good work on the right up 26. I'm rather impressed with mma approach keeping the forums involved and informed, and even jumping aboard.
( I know they most likely didn't cover off on most of my questions but thought I would ask just in case)

Cheers
mickkk

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:54 pm

Will provide some more insight later in regard to thoughts/ worries interesting design thoughts

But to answer some of your queries
Yes the mn will be sold along side the mq until stocks of the mn run out, expected around June July
I think the price points are in the press release data posted in another thread, otherwise I will chase them up from a slide I took, but yes I thought competitive pricing the exceed was less than 50k from memory
MMA have developed a lot of in house accessories, and I believe the likes of arb purchase first release Thai build vehicles for development, so they have been available overseas for a little while so hopefully quickly, but not something mentioned at the launch, but something I asked friends/ contacts at suppliers a while ago
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:36 pm

so after a quick bite to eat and a quick look at the Lake, I head back to the club cab to find someone out of the other group decided they wanted to test drive a manual and drove off with my bag in the back, lucky I had my camera, like I mentioned things on this trip were interesting......
GLX dash, has USB input and also cig plug so fussy people could add additional usb ports if required
basic single function airconditioning, and a more basic stereo

just make out the steering wheel adjustment below the wiper stalk, 3 more additional blank switches.....

accessorised triton
hardlid comes with led lighting, people are starting to think about accessories and what use they have 8-)

So I get to drive the Auto for the first time this one was a GLS, I again have a play with all the switches, knobs etc.
It is very quiet and in the sand does not lag and always seems to be in the right gear.

This vehicle comes standard with super select and that in the hard packed sand this was good enough for most of the drive.
I decided to have a play though and tested low range, the dial for transfer selection takes a bit of getting used to, especially as this vehicle with super select has an additional option, but with low range and the torque of the engine and also being auto, I could nearly let the car drive itself, as it idled up everything without accelerator input.

I could notice straight away a step up in comfort from the GLX, this having a much better ride over the sand corrugations, but this also had the tub and "comfort" rear leafs rather than the load carrying springs of the base model along with the alloy tray.

The GLS comes with a 6" touch screen and this mated with a reverse camera made a nice addition
sound was pretty good, and another nice touch this model has dual range climate control.

I have also put my finger on the drivers door/ leg difference between models, the ML/MN triton has a continued flat handle, where the MQ has a handle that stops, in my case this end is right near my knee

Not much to report on this stage as we were making up time.

Lovely sunset, but not much time for sight seeing, as this was a quick stop to refresh and then back to a presentation and dinner

You will have to excuse the quality of these next pics as they were from a phone in poor light, I was not/ have not received the presentation as yet, but I can say it was very interesting
this pic shows the differences in the body panels from the MN to the new triton, red being different
the only part that was carried over was the floor pan and even that was changed to meet 5 star ancap.

chassis is fairly similar, but where it is different in in the front again for ancap and the rear, but in regard to suspension mounts

the rear suspension is now 120mm longer in the mounts, this has moved the front mount forward 60mm and 60 mm for the rear mount, additional bracing above the bump stop has the MMA technicians confident of the package on and off road, I asked if there was any reduction in towing/ load capacity when taken off road they answered no, they are confident.

Time will tell, but I suppose I have put some pretty hard km's on my triton towing a 2 tonne van to Fraser and Moreton Islands without a problem with the triton chassis, and having lengthened the mounting points of the suspension spreads the load/ fulcrum/ stress points. Asking later at dinner they know about the chassis, causes/ mode of failure and have engineered this out.

engine is a all alloy mivec

torque curve over 400nm available at 1500rpm, at all stages stronger than the previous MN manual, there is no decrease in torque based on the transmission, both manual and auto can take this torque 8-) unlike the MN where the auto was limited to 350nm

Servicing was a key point for the new triton, keeping costs low
so valve clearance as out to 60 (from 40,000kms)
coolant out to 160,000 (from 40,000kms)
timing belt has been replaced with a chain= maintenance free
auto trans has also been built with extended services

then off to dinner and a traditional welcome.
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby ML2008 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Riveting stuff, am enjoying your presentation to the fullest, I guess we will get to the environmental stuff, engine layout / functionality wise, just before the end so as to maintain full interest of everyone. 4wd26, just what you have put up so far, you more than earned your keep on Fraser Island.
You put the dude from cars mag in the absolute shade.
I did see prices for the exceed ran out at $48000, not including on road costs, fixed services will average out over the 5 year warranty at $540.00 a visit to MMAL.
Looking forward to your next instalment
Cheers
ML2008
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:43 pm

next morning- started off lovely, but a early start.

wolf down breakfast to get a bit of time with the cars

first up the club cab genuine tray
2000 long and 1850 wide

rear clearance centre of rim to flare 595, front 550
all vehicles on the test were 245 wide and 29.5" diameter.
I asked about this and the differences between the challenger and pajero, apparently it is a Mitsubishi Japan thing, they must have this size tyre, that it also helps with fuel economy is a side benefit for MMA and a bad thing when trying to keep to the right side of the legalities with tyre upgrades.

The other thing that was a carry over and I do not like is the bas model GLX, you know the one designed to be a tradies ute, carry a load and tow stays with the 3.6 diff gears, the upper spec GLS and exceed get 3.9, not sure how that works in a engineers mind- let alone in the real world- disappointing and chasing fuel specs rather than catering for potential market? again time will tell.

hunting around the "dealership" I choose the exceed to test today
paddle shift, push button start, and standard rear diff lock (exceed only).
apparently not enough of a market to even offer as a option on the other models

door trim pieces, nice finish that appears to be hard wearing rather than painted as per the preceding models, the insert was a leather trim in the door card in the exceed.

The exceed had plenty of gizmos, push button start, auto headlights, rain sensing wipers
also see the trim panel finish, the stability control could be turned off via the button, it would reengage at 80 and when the vehicle turned off.

In low range it is also disabled BUT it is still active just inhibited, it worked well, as I did not notice it once turned off and even when left on is not as intrusive to the driver/ braking as the ranger (worst) or the dmax actually pretty good or the hilux (middle of the road) remembering I work on a sand island as my day job (mine planning engineer on Straddie) and we/ I have tested, hired, and own a fleet of dual cabs for work

Mechanicals.
Airbox, well it is smaller
But interesting the intake is now from inside the guard, perfect for a snorkel, hole already drilled 8-) rather than in front above the grill like previous (with a snorkel this will be good location, BUT we have had problems in the past with our fleet of navaras where they sourced air and sand from the inner guard location, both locations have pros and cons

dusting the engine from air sourced from the inner guard, hydraulic a engine from water sourced from a frontal intake in a water crossing done wrong.

engine bay is again crowded, there is space but it has been poorly designed and no thought for a dual battery

the turbo sits proud at the front and a huge cowl sits beside the engine to the firewall on the drivers side.

drive train, interesting bit, vibration damper.......
available as standard on the GLS and Exceed.......
battery operated rattle gun and 5 mins work might be in order before each offroading adventure.

looking like the 10 bolt diffs from some of the MN triton range, certainly not the big diffs of the ML, but whats inside???

GLX diff, more offroad friendly, but the holes are not in the diff to retrofit the dampner, if you were that way inclined
something to keep in mind ;)

Driving, well the exceed with all the bells and whistles was nice, electric seats provided even more options and comfort levels I can only dream about in my ML, and never thought could be a reality in a triton.....

larger 7" screen in the exceed, touch a button for volume and change song and the bar up the top would appear, then disappear, I liked that, oh and the iphone 4s had no troubles connecting to this unit

Hit Eurong and I became a passenger in a driver swap.
storm hit as we hit the beach but luckily we drove away from the bad weather.

same gratuitous shots of the triton on the beach

our support team, pajeros and challengers

mapping on Fraser is a bit limited

and my run of bad luck continues, the barge was full we were the only triton left behind with the support crew.....

at least it is a alloy spare wheel.

full rear window, gone is the electric rear of the past model.

actually a lot of storage back here now without the space required for the window when it was down, battery storage and compressor.....

plenty of room even for 2 big blokes, head room and seating position, notice the side hip/ kidney bolstering and even the thigh support is better- winner.....

nice touch was the centre console was to layered and the top had a gap/ channel so that cords wouldn't get kinked, nice touch

oh and someone had to get bogged getting off inskip, not bad the only bogging of the whole trip and the tritons went everywhere at highway pressures, so the ride was pretty good considering that component as well. That was a decision by the organisers to keep pressures up, to recreate the average user, shame that the guy behind the wheel of that club cab wasn't a average user, he can claim that he wasn't driving but I have photo evidence to suggest other wise- Smile Matt :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well my run of bad luck continued and we were forced to abandon the triton for a run up the mountains for dinner, instead I got to ride in the back of a pajero.

Great range of colours and I must admit that I liked all of the, yes even the Red and Blue ones :oops: that doesn't leave here alright, our little secret.......

had lunch and then the run back to Brisbane in the rear of the triton, I can say that it was much better than my current triton in the rear as well, the seats just that bit softer and that increased head and shoulder room did express itself into reality

continued bad luck, in changing vehicles around my bags were in another vehicle, you know what that vehicle was the first to arrive at the airport and then departed again, with my bags.....

no tow hook on the front end, but these reinforced eyelets, never got the goss on these as to suitability.....

just make out the plastic piece in the bash plate area and the radiator above, bottom 2 holes are for the plastic guard......
Getting Out There
4wd26

Re: MQ Triton MY16 trip report new model launch/ review

Postby srb on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:23 pm

Awesome report 26. 8-)

I certainly think that the all new Triton looks the goods. We'll all have wait to see it how it fairs long term but from what 4wd26 has reported I can see that Mitsubishi have addressed a couple of the major issues from the previous model.. (engine and chassis) ;)

It's a shame that there isn't an "offroad" package being made available. :cry: Those same stupid flimsy bash plates, low slung bumper and tow hitch are a joke! Still no room in the engine bay to swing a cat! :roll: Same crap tyres and even smaller on the GLX? Same stupid 3.6 ratio diffs on GLX? :roll: Oh and WTF is going on with the GLS that has vibration suppressor hung under the rear diff? It's balls are hanging too low FFS! :lol:

Ok I'll finish on a positive note... at least they have a factory snorkel available. :)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:42 pm

I think it might be time for a reverse visit. Get the MMAL people to come and see what we've done to their cars and what we actually put them through. I suspect that their idea of offroad may be a little different to some of the sketchy stuff we get up to at times. While I agree that this model is starting to look really good, imagine a limited edition which was dual locked, lifted, bigger tyres, snorkel as standard, real bash plates and so on and so forth. 8-) 8-)
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby srb on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:04 pm

I agree Dave! ;) That model would obviously cost a fair bit more but hay look at how much we spend on our current trucks now, just so we can go play offroad. :lol:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to General Discussion