THE canopy thread - see them all here

Anything Triton related

Re: THE canopy thread - see them all here

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:37 am

yeah I agree, a bit more streamlined or whatever. having said that no doubt the colour match and smooth finish helps. the white on white flexiglass unit pictured on page 7 of this thread probably has an extra disadvantage if you ask me because by leaving the back end with no bar on it the bottom looks all rounded off and the top looks all angular and square so they don't really go well together. hope that makes sense :?:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby VENTURI on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:08 pm

I understand & agree.

I think the extra $$$ for the smooth finish is well worth it also, but will probably go the sliding side windows or a combo. I was told I wont see my Triton till mid march now so unfortunately I have a bit of time to decide.
If it's burns Gas, I just might be able help you.

www.gasproducts.com.au
VENTURI

Postby tokirky on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:38 pm

hey guys i just got a flexiglass sport canopy fitted and was wondering about the rear demister????
I don't think its connected, i turned on the dash switch with ACC on and nothing happened?? I never turned the engine on.
I'll try that tomorrow, is there suppose to be power between the red and black wire on the rear window???

BTW it looks great....
If its worth doin' its worth doin' right !
tokirky

Postby KevO78 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:15 pm

My new canopy is on so i thought i'd upload a few pics, It's the avenger xrt, i did want lift up windows however after reading a few sad stories about dogs in canopies i had to go for the sliding window option. All good so far ( 4 days old) but still wanting my front slider window....
Click to view larger picture
KevO78

Postby VENTURI on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:22 am

tokirky wrote:
is there suppose to be power between the red and black wire on the rear window???

BTW it looks great....

Grab your multimeter & check for power on the red wire (should be if wired correctly) & earth.

You will need your ignition in the 'ON' position.

Post up a pic of your canopy fitted especially if it's colour coded for reference.

Cheers.

www.gasproducts.com.au
VENTURI

Postby daryn on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:59 am

Kev078,

The pics look awesome, thats my pick for the canopy for mine if I ever get one.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby tokirky on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:07 pm

back to flexiglass tomorrow, no power on the rear demister and one of the clamps that hold the canopy to the tub has a huge stress crack around it...

It shouldn't be like this :(
tokirky

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:35 pm

tokirky wrote:back to flexiglass tomorrow, no power on the rear demister and one of the clamps that hold the canopy to the tub has a huge stress crack around it...

It shouldn't be like this :(

that's bad news mate, hope they get it all sorted for you

Cowboy Dave

Postby Adam ace on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Time for some chop chop[/img]Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picturehows that for an arse :shock:
Adam ace

Postby tokirky on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:15 pm

Went to flexiglass today to fix a few problems (clamp and demister) he tried to blamed me for disconnecting it, WTF, why would someone do that.....

Anyway all sorted then I go to put the kids in their child seats and they are not connected properly, they wrapped the bit of the adjuster strap around the head rests :shock: instead of re-connecting the proper clips.

Imagine how much I could of sued them for had we had a bad accident .......close the place down.....
Wankers, don't think Ill be buying anything else from them in the future, their branch says it all SLACKS CREEK....
tokirky

Postby ag9111 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Adam ace wrote:Time for some chop chop[/img][img]hows that for an arse :shock:

This is going to be interesting.

Adam ace
Start up your own build thread
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Another forum user asked me to take a bunch of photos of the MN ARB canopy. Rather than clutter up this thread with 30 odd shots I've stuck them in a photobucket album for those that want to have a look:

ARB Canopy album

the photos were a bit of a rush job as were the titles etc but they give a general idea of all the main issues. the photos are a little less flattering than ARB's product shots would be but despite some of the bits that aren't too aesthetically pleasing I'm basically happy with the product.

just realised I completely forgot to take a shot of the "made in New Zealand" sticker on the inside of the roof :roll:

Cowboy Dave

Postby Lark68 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:29 am

Got a call from the canopy company to say they have my car in getting the canopy put on. Should now only be a few days before it's finally mine.
Here's the Carryboy canopy on the MN. Pictures were taken with my phone so aren't the best quality.

There should be some photos above if this works -- first time placing photos.
MN GLXR
Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.
Lark68

Postby Dylan 191 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Looks good 8-) just keep an eye on how close the canopy is to the back of the cab , when offroad the canopy can touch the cab if the chassis is flexed around ;)
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby Lark68 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks Dylan, I mentioned my concerns about that to the fitter and he said they don't have that problem. The outer edges appear close, but the shape means the main structure sits a fair way from the cab and pretty much moulds around it. I'll have a closer look and take some measurements when I take delivery.
Speaking of measurements, can anyone advise what a minimum distance should be to prevent any hitting. I'll probably find something if I read back through the thread but if not, it would be appreciated.

Just read the Razerback thread and see the issues they've been having and don't think it will be a problem with this one... though time will tell.
Cheers.
MN GLXR
Lark68

Postby trytin on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:30 pm

On a genuine canopy does anyone know what type of glue is used to hold the rear rubber flap to the bottom of the rear window? I have tried various glass to rubber glues so far but nothing will stick to both surfaces. Mitso spares have nothing listed to use.
trytin

Postby Lark68 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:13 am

Dylan 191 wrote:Looks good 8-) just keep an eye on how close the canopy is to the back of the cab , when offroad the canopy can touch the cab if the chassis is flexed around ;)

Here's a pic of the gap between the canopy and cabin. It's my first ute so not sure how it compares to others so would appreciate some feedback if anyone can see it being a problem. The gap doesn't look very much from a distance, but it's just part of the design and has a pretty constant gap all the way around.

While I'm at it, here's a better view of the canopy now that I finally have the beast home...
MN GLXR
Lark68

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:53 am

Well, that's it. No more photos of MN's with canopies from rear 3/4. Looks like a queen bee. (Nice canopy, though).
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby VENTURI on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Looks Good Lark.

Happy with the fit & finish of the canopy?

www.gasproducts.com.au
VENTURI

Postby Lark68 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks guys.
Seems to be quite solid and well made. Quite neat around the corners and no wind noise. Happy so far. nThe only thing is the light doesn't automatically come on when the back is opened, had a quick look for a switch but couldn't see one. I'll speak with the installer about it. Although Mits arranged it, I also spoke with the installer and he said that if I ever have any concerns about it, I just need to call in.
As I wanted it to be removeable, it was an extra $20 to put in a plug for easy removal. However, he did warn that when they set it up to be removed, they place the sealing tape on the bottom of the canopy instead of around the lip of the bed (for obvious reasons), but when they do it that way, I just need to ensure it doesn't slide forward over time.
Occasionally the rear door may move slightly and make contact with the body, but if it did, all I need to do is pop in and he'll adjust for me FOC as part of the service.
Certainly a good and friendly company to deal with. They are a little pricey (I think it was $3300) put I think it is worth the money.
MN GLXR
Lark68

Postby tassie_ml on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:27 am

My canopy arrived last week. Its a SJS brand, picked it up off ebay and cant be happier. The company I bought it from was in Melbourne, really easy to deal with, had the cheapest freight of the lot and the canopy is fantastic. Came colour coded, soft interior lining, brake light in roof mounted spoiler, carry bars hold 60kg and it fits really well. Oh, did I mention it was a grand cheaper than anything I could get here in Slobart :mrgreen:

pics

Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby chris_s on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:08 pm

After seeing tassie_ml 's SJS canopy, I popped in to see Statewide Auto & Off Road today in Preston.
Paul was very helpful and showed me a couple of variations. I've ordered one with lift up windows (they have BIG openings) and the 125Kg track mounts for trade racks. Hope to get it fitted in a couple of weeks.
chris_s

Postby tassie_ml on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:42 pm

chris_s wrote:After seeing tassie_ml 's SJS canopy, I popped in to see Statewide Auto & Off Road today in Preston.
Paul was very helpful and showed me a couple of variations. I've ordered one with lift up windows (they have BIG openings) and the 125Kg track mounts for trade racks. Hope to get it fitted in a couple of weeks.

yeah, he is very helpful without being pushy, goes along way in my books.

dont forget the pix :mrgreen:
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby gmhl on Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:32 pm

chris_s wrote:After seeing tassie_ml 's SJS canopy, I popped in to see Statewide Auto & Off Road today in Preston.

Did he say anything about removing the spoiler from the top of the canopy? Is it possible to do it yourself or can they supply without it?
gmhl

Postby tassie_ml on Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Did he say anything about removing the spoiler from the top of the canopy? Is it possible to do it yourself or can they supply without it?

give them a call on 03 9484 7838

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mitsubishi-Trito ... 27b0942f02
Mark

tassie_ml

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion