Canopy affecting fuel economy

Anything Triton related

Re: Canopy affecting fuel economy

Postby High Country on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:18 am

Hi Carl - that fitting job looks like it was completed by a blind man that left his guide-dog at home that day......I'd be going back & using words to the effect of "Fix this bloody thing, or take it off & give me my money back........."........

In todays environment - you don't have to put up with $hit products or poor workmanship...........
Tip # 1 - Avoid stress & grief & low resale values with vehicles - do it once - do it right, buy a HILUX!!
High Country

Postby tryhard on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:02 am

Hey High Country

Just sent an email and photos to that effect thanks mate :). Hopefully it will be a good outcome to report as I had previously only heard good things about Flexiglass - I thought I had done my research ok but stupidly never found an actual photo of someone with a Triton and Flexiglass canopy, other than those in Flexi's own brochure (which looks a perfect fit!). Will update here when I have a result to help anybody else considering the Flexiglass product as an alternative.

Thanks for your patience everyone ;-)
Carl
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Postby subi_man on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:31 am

When you get it sorted, can you post up some piccies in this thread please mate?! 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby tryhard on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:43 am

Absolutely mate ... hopefully my final pics will be of a canopy that looks like it fits similar to the ARB in that thread ! Cheers
---

tryhard

Postby Dazza on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:34 pm

The flexiglass site shows canopies fitted to a triton with a tub liner - looks really good & sits below the cabin height.

You should expect your canopy to sit like that. Looks like a dodgy brothers job on yours.

http://www.flexiglass.com.au/canopies-listing2-149.html
Dazza

Postby oink on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:21 pm

As soon as I fitted my canopy my fuel figures changed.

It's the price of weight and profile!
Spent most of my money on booze, women, guns, utes, motorcycles, fishing & boats.

I wasted the rest!
oink

Postby tryhard on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:07 am

Reasonable response from Flexiglass ... they said the foam should be completely crushed down to form a seal and is likely a fitter problem. After checking tightness of bolts they say if I am still not pleased they will remove the canopy and get it altered to suit the vehicle. Sounds like a good result - will see how we go - dropping over there Wednesday for a chat

Cheers :p
---

tryhard

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:50 am

Thats sounding like a good responce.
Time will tell.

They do look good on the flexiglass website though
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby subi_man on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:33 am

Good to hear tryhard, hope they fix it for you :)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby tryhard on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:28 am

Just to update the long-suffering, took the vehicle back to flexiglass, and they said the foam would compress with time and it was just the curve in the Triton tub that made it sit a bit 'differently'. I politely said that was bullshit and if they couldn't make it look like the photo in the brochure, they could unbolt it now and refund my dough. So we agreed they would remove it and send it back to the factory to take a better look. They rang back yesterday and said if they can have my vehicle for the day at the factory they will tailor it specifically to fit my tub (they did reckon Mistubishi confirmed there can be a variation in the height of tub compared to the rear of the cab on Tritons which doesn't help with the height issue). So that sounds fine at this point, just waiting for them to tell me which day then we'll kill this pig. More news when I have photos.

I love the Triton more every time I drive it - drives like a car and pulls like a train. Most impressive commercial style vehicle I have ever driven, and even the ball-and-chain is starting to enjoy it. :)
---

tryhard

Postby subi_man on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:40 am

tryhard wrote:even the ball-and-chain is starting to enjoy it. :)

That's not always a good thing, tryhard - when I had to start fighting over the keys, I knew I'd have to fork out for a new car for her so as I could have mine back :roll: :lol:

Hope you have the canopy sorted out pronto mate, that "variation in tub height" sounds like a bit of a furphy :o
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby tryhard on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:43 am

yeah mate I must admit the variation in tub height struck me as a bit odd, but he may have been clutching at straws as he could see the veins in my forehead popping out when he tried to tell me it would settle after a while :) The new photos will tell the story I hope (or the end of the canopy will be seen protruding out of someone's nether regions :))
---

tryhard

Postby Buzzy on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:58 am

(they did reckon Mistubishi confirmed there can be a variation in the height of tub compared to the rear of the cab on Tritons which doesn't help with the height issue).

:lol: Bloody Hell........ what next?? How could there possibly be a difference.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:12 am

Guys- you must not forget that Tryhard has the "NEW VR" which I have confirmed does have a different tray (at the rear). If thats the case it might also be different at the front lip.
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1405
Who knows with Mitsubishi- the dealers certainly don't.

Cheers
Oh and I hope there is no difference, as the aftermarket suppliers just won't botter with the triton range if they are only going to be able to sell to certain models- or if the range changes every 18months- 2 years.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby ratstriton on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:30 am

Any news on the canopy refit yet :?:
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tryhard on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:54 am

Gday mate

I'm booked in this Wednesday over at their factory to have the fit customised. I'll post pics the next day ;-) I'll tell them I am part of this forum and members would be keen to know if a standard canopy would usually fit under normal circumstances, to clarify if Flexiglass is a decent option - just to see if I can clarify if what I experienced is a one-off.

Cheers
Carl
---

tryhard

Postby sheepo on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:02 pm

hi i had flexiglass refit mine on monday the stealer fitted it wrong, they moved it forward about a inch i think it is still to high :? but they said thats the way it is. moving it forward made it more aero dynnamic and made the feul ecconomy half a litre beter, i would like to make a spoiler like Blues mate i think that would really help any clues on how to do it ?. or if i can buy some thing like that?cheers peter
Peter
08 VR
sheepo

Postby tryhard on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:14 pm

I wonder if you can get a small version of a roof rack mounted one like they use for caravans ? Mind you the roof rack would probably cause more drag than nothing on the roof - depends how much of that canopy lip sticks up to swallow the air I reckon ? With the recessed rails there for racks, there is bound to be something you could get fabricated in fibreglass or similar.

Anyway, tomorrow or Thurs I'll photograph what the Flexiglass factory says if the perfect fit, then you can use that to check if what the dealer says about "that's the way it is" is right or not.

I think next time I'll just chuck a tarp over the mutts - would have been a $hitload easier !!
---

tryhard

Postby Blue on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:02 am

sheepo wrote:hi i had flexiglass refit mine on monday the stealer fitted it wrong, they moved it forward about a inch i think it is still to high :? but they said thats the way it is. moving it forward made it more aero dynnamic and made the feul ecconomy half a litre beter, i would like to make a spoiler like Blues mate i think that would really help any clues on how to do it ?. or if i can buy some thing like that?cheers peter

He used to be a panel beater/spray painter and he custom fabbed it... He's spent a fair bit of time playing with hotrods so dealing with fiber glass was second nature to him... I can't remember what he used for a patern, I think most of oit was done by eye - he's one of those gifted smartarses who does that stuff...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jonesy on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:25 am

Well I can't even get below a 12 average for fuel economy on my TD auto. Adding the BFG's added about .5l per 100. I see some others have reported insane fuel figures. I can get to low 11's and maybe a high 10 if I fill up and go straight onto the highway for a 100klms or so.

If your getting 10's with a canopy then you've got a keeper.

Jonesy
jonesy

Postby tryhard on Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:37 pm

Thanks again for your patience and ideas guys. The short story is the original store did a real crappy job fitting the canopy, as verified by the factory when they saw how they had mounted the brackets etc. So they put it back on properly ... changed the brackets, fitted the load shackles which were missing (the other store told me there were meant to be rubber plugs in there) ... I wouldn't call it a perfect fit but its a damn sight better and will do me :)

The new piccies show it looks something more like the brochure ! There is still a rise above the rear of the cab but its at least 10-20 mm less than before. The over-the-lip tub liner adds some height (I bought that because the retail store said there was no such thing as a FLexiglass inner liner, which it turns out there is :evil: )

Anyhoo, the curve on the triton tub still means there's some bits you might say look less than 100%, (there is a steel bracket across the front of the tub to give a flat unsurved surface to screw the canopy to) but it's nice to not see a bunch of foam filler ;-)

Click to view larger picture

To sum up, if you want a canopy and tub liner around $2,100 fitted I reckon these are good value (lifetime warranty on the shell). I'd avoid the over the lip version of liner next time (although apparently the inner liner doesn't allow for the load tie down points).

If your vehicle needs to look perfect, I am not convinced the Flexiglass is as close-fitting as ARB, for example (although I happened to see an ARB on a VR on the road today and there was a slight gap at the front of the tub as well - I guess that could be due to fitting, which seems to vary wildly)

On the fuel economy, the jury's out - it actually seems marginally lower than before the canopy was refitted so I think I will give it some time as that doesn't sound quite right !

All in all, even this whinging pain in the a### is pretty happy with the result. The dogs will be even happier :)

Cheers
Carl
---

tryhard

Postby subi_man on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:33 pm

Good stuff Carl, certainly looks better! 8-)
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:38 am

subi_man wrote:Good stuff Carl, certainly looks better! 8-)

Agreed. The whinging was worth it
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tryhard on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:55 pm

OK blokes just to kill this thread because it all started with fuel economy issues, I have finally managed to take the Triton for a reasonable run.

I covered 398 km part city driving to pick up a hire camper trailer, but mostly on bush tracks, winding uphill mountain roads through Mount Mee on the run from Brissie to Woodford and on to Neurum Creek camping ground. Had me, the missus, three year old daughter, 2 boxer dogs, and enough luggage to go away for 3 weeks (on a 2 night stay, that's what you get travelling with 2 girls and a bitch) (yeah, one of the dogs is a girl, I mean bitch :lol: )

So with the passengers and luggage, towing a 7x5 heavy duty offroad camper full of the gear, when I refilled at the end of the trip I had used 45.28 litres. That seems completely insane to me, 8.8 l/100 km. :o

So the upshot is I dunno if the canopy is affecting fuel economy any more, but if it is, I don't care ! My Suzuki Swift used 7.4 l/100 km average and was a bloody sight less useful than the Triton. Maybe I am having a dream run and the economy will get worse as the engine gets some wear, but I ain't complaining at the moment....!
---

tryhard

Postby jop on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Hey Tryhard, we were at neurum last weekend, stayed up in eagles nest, campsite e15 - was it still packed?
Mark
jop

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion