(Misfuel) Petrol AND Diesel

Anything Triton related

Re: (Misfuel) Petrol AND Diesel

Postby mattz on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:05 am

And to make things more painful....... I threw my tank, with the drain plug, out when i fitted my long range tank. :roll:
I didn't think anyone would be bothered changing tanks over for the sake of a drain plug :roll:
Sorry..... you could of had it :(
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby amanda on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:11 am

amalinze wrote:Who in their right mind deleted the drain plug! I just spent hours draining my tank in what i thought to be the easiest way. Pumping using the primer pump. 75 pumps per 1.25L bottle. At this point i am ready to kill the person who took the plug out of the production line instead of charging us max $5 extra? I would have paid 500 this morning!

X eleventybillion! When we got bad fuel(water) in our tank it cost close to $1000 in Weipa to have it removed and drained.
amanda
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Blue on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:42 am

mattz wrote:And to make things more painful....... I threw my tank, with the drain plug, out when i fitted my long range tank. :roll:
I didn't think anyone would be bothered changing tanks over for the sake of a drain plug :roll:
Sorry..... you could of had it :(

I tossed my tank too, by the sounds mine was an anomaly being the 17" wheels/cruise '08 model but it had a drain plug... I put it on ebay and got no hits so I cut it in half and put it out with hard rubbish...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tokirky on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:13 pm

amalinze wrote:Who in their right mind deleted the drain plug! I just spent hours draining my tank in what i thought to be the easiest way. Pumping using the primer pump. 75 pumps per 1.25L bottle. At this point i am ready to kill the person who took the plug out of the production line instead of charging us max $5 extra? I would have paid 500 this morning!

You should have read pg 2 amalinze where rocko and I made it an easy job using an air compressor in the tank.
If its worth doin' its worth doin' right !
tokirky

Postby salt36 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Well I guess that is an advantage owning the petrol as the diesel nozzle won't fit......

Mind you older petrol cars will run on diesel :shock: not very well though :lol:

I have seen it a couple of times......
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby coxy47 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:05 pm

salt36 wrote:Well I guess that is an advantage owning the petrol as the diesel nozzle won't fit......

Modern (european) diesel cars take smaller diesel nozzles so many of the new diesel bowsers will fit a petrol
coxy47

Postby salt36 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Tex ya clown :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coxy I usually go for the 95 or 98 octane so at least I am looking but that is a worry if the wife ever goes to fill up my Triton :shock:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby coxy47 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Yeh. Even more so with different servos using different colours for the handles. Caltexs vortex diesel and Shells Vpower are pretty similar in colour at a glance :roll:
coxy47

Postby fridgie on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:16 pm

I got done by the different colours in work cars...had used shell for years then changed companies and servos, grabbed the pump and filled up with premium instead of standard unleaded. Wasn't covered by the fuel card and came out of my pocket...learnt to pay more attention after that :roll: :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby gls_triton on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:08 pm

fridgie wrote:I got done by the different colours in work cars...had used shell for years then changed companies and servos, grabbed the pump and filled up with premium instead of standard unleaded. Wasn't covered by the fuel card and came out of my pocket...learnt to pay more attention after that :roll: :lol:

Same issue, but the servo had no standard so I had to use the Premium to get back to the office... Thankfully the boss was happy enough to give me the cash that arvo... case of Corona worked out at the same price that week :D

I check the pump and the car/ute 20 times before I even lift the nozzle and I still sh!t myself when I start pumping after reading this thread! I dont want to destroy my poor old Panther!
Cheer's!
Kieran

2008 ML GLS "Panther"
ARB Sahara Bar | Safari Snorkel | Warn Winch | Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure | IPF 900XS Lights
gls_triton

Postby Bad Kitty on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:15 pm

coxy47 wrote:Yeh. Even more so with different servos using different colours for the handles. Caltexs vortex diesel and Shells Vpower are pretty similar in colour at a glance :roll:

:shock: they're nothing alike :lol:

Well soon you won't have to make that mistake again.

Caltex vortex diesel is red and Shell's standard Diesel is White and the new Diesel Extra (the premium diesel) is blue ;)
Bad Kitty

Postby mattz on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:38 pm

I'm getting confused with all this colour coding stuff.
Isn't it easier to look for the word DIESEL written on the pump. :roll: :lol:
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby coxy47 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:54 pm

Dont look at me ive never stuffed up misfuelled. :lol:

Yeah Caltex vortex diesel is red. I thought the Vpower petrol was red (or at least I thought it was at one point at my local shell) which is what i was getting at.

Either way it doesnt affect me as i only use BP :D
coxy47

Postby Bad Kitty on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:41 pm

V power is red yes. All I was saying was that normal diesel at Shell is white with the new premium
Diesel to be coloured blue.

I kinds HAVE to use Shell... :lol: ;)

And I'm with you Matt, what happened to reading first? Surely we all read a label before using it?
Bad Kitty

Postby coxy47 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Im not saying that its easy to get it wrong just that it will happen to someone. One thing ive learnt recently is that if it can be messed up it will :roll:
coxy47

Postby Crash486 on Wed May 09, 2012 5:46 pm

Latest NRMA quotes "of 1300 people surveyed, 1 in ten misfuel the vehicle", "45% picked the wrong fuel due to poor signage".
"10% faced a damage bill of up to $500, 5% up to $1000"
NRMA are running a free trial of fuel evacuation service if you make a mistake before starting the engine.
The article also mentions a rightfuel Diesel mis fueling device from their online shop for $54.95.
Crash486

Postby rogjil on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:59 pm

Some things I learnt yesterday.

AAMI cover putting unleaded into a diesel and will cover all costs including a hire car, must have taken that option

Don't do it the last Friday night after a major hailstorm a few weeks before. Assessors cannot look at it until January 21st.

Two choices wait for AAMI to fix lifetime guarantee, or try to find somebody else in the meantime. Suppose to be going to Fraser for two weeks on the 4th.

The other thing I leant is tow drivers don't have much patience, was annoyed that I would not let the wife put the key in the ignition to release the steering lock until I was there, not that it mattered could not figure out if there was a fuse for the fuel pump, so had to turn the key to accessories to unlock steering, hope that doesn't start the fuel pump.

Now the fun begins :D
rogjil

Postby Doong on Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:35 pm

As long as you don't start the engine its fine the turn to key to acc or ign.
There is no lift/prime pump on diesel tritons.
Doong

Postby salt36 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:08 pm

You could drain the tank and replace with diesel, make sure to prime the filters with fresh fuel draining the dodgy stuff into a bucket or something. The small amount left in the injector lines would be gone after a few minutes of idling.

Or wait for the insurance......

How far was your Triton driven with the dodgy fuel mix ?
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby rogjil on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:16 pm

It was not driven at all, rolled away from the bowser without even putting the key in the ignition. When the wife called to tell me what she had done I made it clear no key in the ignition.

Just being cautious as it has had a few issues that have never been resolved, in fact we picked it up that morning after having a new suction control valve fitted. That was the problem really she had been driving a petrol car for a couple of weeks
rogjil

Postby salt36 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:22 pm

In that case I would drain the tank myself, how much petrol went in ?

Hmm Maroochydore is a bit far for me or I would offer to drain into my tank :lol: :lol:

If you don't have the drain plug then it could get difficult, I would be inclined to pull the tank out and upend it.

When the tank is empty you could disconnect the fuel line at the filter letting the fuel drain back into the tank, even apply compressed air to blow it out. Have to prime it again of course but eliminates the chance of any petrol getting to your engine.
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby mattz on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:32 pm

And don't forget to put a new fuel filter in it too.
If it hasn't been started you'll be fine.
As salt said you can drain it yourself of find a mechanic to do it under insurance.
Don't worry about the lifetime warranty if it hasn't been started.
A bit of 2 stroke oil in the first tank wouldn't go astray either.
There is a thread here somewhere about it.
The worst thing is you'll have 70 odd litres of unleaded to get rid of.
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby salt36 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:33 pm

Quinny is up there somewhere, he may be looking for a tank of petrol :lol: :lol:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby rogjil on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:34 pm

Yep no drain plug, 65l that I could use in our other car so I have thought about draining it.
rogjil

Postby mattz on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Bugger about no drain plug.......that makes it a lot harder.
Here is a thread on the 2 stroke oil,it has some other links in it too.
viewtopic.php?t=14320
Last edited by mattz on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion