got this confirmed today aswell

Soooooooooo
lets look at some figures

2.5 in "standard" guise
puts out 100kw & 314Nm

and unless it is a new engine which I doubt, it's just an uprated model

in "HP" (read upped boost)
puts out 131kw & 400Nm

pretty cool hey, oh and it uses a "claimed" 8.3l/100 & we all know that that relates to about 9 or 10l/100 in real life

now lets look at the 4m41
in "standard" guise as found in our beloved ML
it puts out 118kw & 347Nm

then the uprated version in the Pajero (read upped boost again)
puts out....... wait for it
147kw & 441Nm with a claimed 8.4l/100

now tell me which motor is working harder?

and is still plenty tunable from there, from chipping alone a claimed 191kw & 530Nm
http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptun ... 411-r.html

now I can't for the life of me understand why? but cost alone would they go down this path

this will be my first & last triton
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Re: The new model rumor mill.

Postby sam on Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:58 pm

Mantis wrote:Didn't sam rush out and find one of the current ML's for this reason aswell??

sam what's your thoughts on all this??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
sam

Re: the 2.5 is coming - End of September

Postby PeterT on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:22 pm

My 3.2 GLX-R embarked on the 4th and arrives at the Port of Brisbane on the 15th, it could well be the last example of it's type. :D
PeterT

Postby snowman on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:38 pm

lets just hope that our 3.2's dont get stolen or written off....now they are not replacable. (my insurance policy has replacement for first two years). :o :o :x
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby PeterT on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Steane has not provided a reference so we still don't know for sure yet.
PeterT

Postby Steane on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:02 pm

Steane wrote:Speculation now over.

Mitsubishi held a press conference in Melbourne today;

2.5-litre (HPD) is confirmed - 131kw @ 4000rpm - 400Nm @ 2000rpm
No 3.2-litre option.
New entry level sport ute option called the GL-R.
Darker interior trim.
Improvements made to the seats.
Swage line on tailgate to stop denting.
180mm longer and 55mm deeper tray.
Traction control standard on (I think) GL-R and GLX-R need to confirm which models
Sold out of current stock apparently.
New one will be launched in September.

That's the basics from the horses mouth.

As I said above - source is Mitsubishi. Press conference held today, they've released the details early as the ML's are all but sold out. Challenger is going on sale later this year as well. Just sharing as I'm a happy ML Triton owner and I figured the info would be appreciated.

Here is a pic if you don't believe me ;)
Click to view larger picture
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Adamj on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:54 pm

theirs still a couple of dealers in brissie that have 3.2 td's in stock the question is do we wait or do we rush out, think I might wait and see if the new model has a self destruct motor like the Navara I will look at a D/MAX theirs no way Id own a pilelux.
Adamj

Postby PeterT on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:10 pm

Ok, here's a link to what Steane was on about.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/37577/ ... -the-list/
PeterT

Postby PeterT on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:12 pm

And Ummmm............I think Steane wrote it :oops:
PeterT

Postby Stu on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:29 pm

oh my, it even has d40 side steps. All they need to do now is lower it a bit and they could rebadge it a nissan
Stu

Postby sam on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:43 pm

:?: Stu did you get it confirmed from a different source to Steane's or was it from the
same place :?:
sam

Postby jop on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:10 pm

Adamj wrote:theirs still a couple of dealers in brissie that have 3.2 td's in stock the question is do we wait or do we rush out, think I might wait and see if the new model has a self destruct motor like the Navara I will look at a D/MAX theirs no way Id own a pilelux.

:D Pilelux :lol:
jop

Postby rick on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:16 pm

ill be keepin the 3.2 and then ill have a look at this new vw ute if it has the v6td in it :twisted:
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Postby Stu on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:18 pm

have been talking to the guy I bought mine from for a couple of days regarding pricing for a mate on a glx & when we started talking he didn't have a whole lot of info then today about 11am he rang me full specs with the exact same info as Steane, now I don't know if he got the info from mitsu aus or from that article?
Stu

Postby rick on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm

rick

Postby Stu on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:41 pm

bugger that, I'm hoping that great wall will release a diesel 4x4 with no airbags now or a mahindra maybe
Stu

Postby al coholic on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:52 pm

Hey Rick,
That VW ute doesnt look as bad as I thought it would, I was imagining a kombi with a ute tub. The only problem I see is the badge on the front. :lol: :lol: How about the tool kit in the tailgate making that a "go anywhere" ute, the bolt cutters to cut the locks on the closed gates and the axe to cut down any trees in your way. :D

As for Mitsu's new one, well............I have a 3.2...........and thats all that counts. Everyone knows that size does matter....................... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby daryn on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:03 pm

"Active Stability and Traction Control, Multi Mode ABS, and Electronic Brake Force Distribution feature in the MATT system,"

Would this mean that there will be no lifting or altering of suspension because of these features ?
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:11 pm

This must have been what it was like when they brought in the new fangled over head valves and many couldn't cope with the radical change from the big old side valves they knew and trusted to the new small ultra modern engines like the Austin A30 had under the bonnet.
Variable inlet vanes, hi tech injectors, modified combustion chambers and higher boost to suit.
Soon this forum will be filling with MN owners and I guess we ML owners will take a back seat or move on to a more appropriate forum cos the ML will be history? There are not many differences, more of an update really so hopefully it will flow on and absorb the owners of both models?
Personally I can't wait to hear the first reports of the new engine, especially coupled to the new 5 speed auto and hope it delivers with refinement and reliability.

From my perspective, clearly my 2.5 cant be upgraded to the new spec but if it's the same engine it bodes well for it's life expectancy and ability to absorb power increases in it's stride, not that it needs it but that's progress!
sierra

Postby rick on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:11 pm

screw driver and a roll of gaffa tape mate 8-)
rick

Postby daryn on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:19 pm

Ok, heaps of negative talk, a lot well justified I agree, but, now I do say but, what is the chance of this new one maybe picking up some awards, I know there is a new Hilux coming, but this new triton is going to be one hell of a safe truck to drive, with some good performance to boot. We all know that the mags cant judge longevity.

Just trying to look for a positive side.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby vroom on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:55 pm

The 3.2 is an awesome and well proven motor, the ml is a great ute, but in my opinion, a bit wierd looking, with the cab flowing upwards, and the tub sloping down,is a bit of a contradiction, and both ends look like they were designed by two different stylists who didn't like each other. In spite of its funny lines, I am onto my second one (my 1st was an 07 with too many faults and I sold it after only 7000kms). Now they have rectified the styling, making the cab and tub look like they belong to each other, but then they ruin it by pulling out its BEST feature.

But there is no way I would be interested in a highly stressed 2,5 l, so this is my last triton for a while.

I doubt that it would affect sales, maybe even increase sales, the navara 2.5td often challenged the hi luxe for most sales, a lot of buyers will prefer the 2.5 due to its better economy and higher power and torque

Question.

I wonder if I could fit the new tub onto my ml glx, the impression I'm getting is that the chassis is the same, with the longer tub with more overhang, tubs should be a dime a dozen, as a lot get swopped for trays. That should make my glx look as good as it goes.
Last edited by vroom on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
vroom

Postby daryn on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:58 pm

Where has the 180mm extra length in tray come from as the overall length has not changed ? Did rear passenger space get cut ?
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:01 pm

daryn wrote:"Active Stability and Traction Control, Multi Mode ABS, and Electronic Brake Force Distribution feature in the MATT system,"

Would this mean that there will be no lifting or altering of suspension because of these features ?

Doesnt the Pajero have all this. You can put a 2" lift in them without any problems.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby alias on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:07 pm

I've just put in an order for the new model GLX R today and can reveal the following....

The new model has a new high-powered 2.5 litre turbo-diesel engine, developing 131kW at 4000rpm and 400Nm of torque at 2000rpm for the manual version, and 350Nm of torque for the automatic.

The tray is deeper, however the dealer was unsure exactly how much longer the tray is ( Approx 180mm? )

Mitsubishi’s All Terrain Technology (MATT) is standard on all GLX-R models, featuring Super Select four-wheel-drive system Active Stability and Traction Control, Multi Mode ABS, and Electronic Brake Force Distribution feature in the MATT system, along with an optional Diff lock.

The VR has been dropped, leaving a choice between the GLX R & GLS

I hope to take delivery mid october & will put up a review once i've broken it in :D
alias

PreviousNext

Return to Triton News