Tritons infiltrate 4x4 action again

Triton in the media

Postby trickydevil on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:10 am

Check out pg181 etc. ML tritons special appearances by Platoon Joe, jeff and hit tuff triton & Rod. Not sure of his user name. Giddy up. When is fridgie's article coming out?
trickydevil

Re: Tritons infiltrate 4x4 action again

Postby Custom Offroad on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:33 am

Fridgie's should be out next month I think and mine will be out in December edition of overlander.

Mitch
Bash Plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad accessories......

viewforum.php?f=80
Custom Offroad

Postby fridgie on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:53 am

Issue 18 of custom utes, should be out early November ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby JoshGLS on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:35 am

Looking forward to the read fellas :mrgreen:
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot
JoshGLS

Postby coxy47 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:55 am

Just what i need another reason to procrastinate :roll:

Might have to got get it this afternoon and have a read.
coxy47

Postby trickydevil on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:59 am

There was a comment about the sturdy looking factory bash plates, obviously they don't know they're crap and paper thin.

Also saw in the ironman parts in the back a fuel tank guard for the tritons. Does anyone have one? Are they worth it?
trickydevil

Postby Homer on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:32 pm

^^^Only need them on Jim Beam Fords mate :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby 4WD Supplies on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:24 pm

:lol: :lol:
Good one homer.

Also check out avenger 4x4 another forum sponsor as they do a tank plate too I read today. ;)
4WD Supplies

Postby trickydevil on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Homer wrote:^^^Only need them on Jim Beam Fords mate :lol:

I liked David benard's comment, I just needed some marshmallows :shock:

Funny he said he didn't get the message about changing brakes and pump the pedal, they said we were having radio problems. Maybe the should breif him before he gets in for his stint, those things next to the Tyres are your new brakes.

I've seen it happen before, but not with a big flame job at the end. :o
trickydevil

Postby smlr on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:47 pm

I've had my 2011 MN triton for about 2 month's now & was a bit nervous reading this article thinking they would totally bag the triton. It sounded like a pretty honest write up but didn't know how to take the part about the triton isn't ever going to be a super-hardcore 4WD. I'm taking this that the triton is not a strongly built vehicle. Am i reading into into this too much ?
smlr

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:46 pm

No I think you might have read that the wrong way. As a ute built for onroad use as well there are inherent compromises in the design etc. You won't see anyone turning a triton into a comp truck for example whereas they might with an old shorty patrol or whatever.

You can probably use them for some places that many people would regard as hardcore but whether you'd ever be super hardcore to full on 4wd nuts is another story I think.

The triton is a perfectly tough and durable vehicle offroad, but there will always be tougher and more durable vehicle if you're prepared to spend even more dollars. Having said that you're unlikely to find another dual cab ute from any of the other makers that is any tougher. Although we are all looking sideways at the new ranger to see what might be in store in the future....
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Homer on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:37 am

Yeah they go OK off road mate...as a generalization you could say the car will go where most people wouldn't dare.

As Dave says there are some practical design issues of a good ute that limits them in 4wd ability more than "toughness" - wheelbase and independent front suspension are two that come to mind.

But with a few well thought out mods, a very close to legal Triton (I say close to legal as different states have different tyre sizes etc - but not talking any more than 2" lift and 32's) will follow some of the big guys through most places....and beat them in others.

Upgrading your vehicle protection is necessary to do this sort of hard core stuff (bash plates, front and rear bars, sliders etc) - as it is with all the other comp trucks anyway.

Don't worry about 4wd magazines mate, they are pretty much in the dark ages.
They are only just starting to work out dual cab utes are outselling the rest and haven't tested any of them off road properly.

Then they choose cars by their colour for pretty piccies rather than by their capability so don't get an indication of their potential.

Hopefully this is changing as they are starting to get a few modified utes out to the tracks....we then have to recover the camera guys once we get there :lol: :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby NTBB on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:54 am

Cowboy Dave wrote: Having said that you're unlikely to find another dual cab ute from any of the other makers that is any tougher.

I reckon my 94 lux is tougher.... :? BUT the tri is much more fun to drive.... :D
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby smlr on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:11 am

Well i guess i have to bite the bullet & start sucking up to the misses to get some mods happening. I think that your vehicle is as good as it's driver (& mods or upgrade....sounds better to the misses)
smlr

Postby trickydevil on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:19 am

Should I have had less kids so I could do more mods :?:

Nah. All good things come to those who wait, but the extra coin would've been handy. Haydos is already got dibs on my truck, and he'll make sure all mods are done by the time he gets it. He's requested twin locked, twin live axles, roof top tent etc. He picks things he likes in the mags and tell me "you should get that dad"
:P
trickydevil

Postby jop on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:02 am

I cannot see one reference to the factory diff lock :roll:

Apparently the bash plates are tough enough - but it's not a hardcore 4wd :?

Half arsed article yet again.

Good to see the LEPG centre stage in all it's glory - looking good joe 8-)
jop

Postby al coholic on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:11 am

Joe's truck and the others certainly looked the goods in that article!! You know 4wd action don't have a clue when they state the factory bash plates are strong??
Congrats Joel & Mitch on the upcoming articles...........the 4wdA NewTriton.net national meet write up will be in issue 174 of the main mag I think ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Steane on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:36 am

al coholic wrote:Joe's truck and the others certainly looked the goods in that article!! You know 4wd action don't have a clue when they state the factory bash plates are strong??

Bruce does look 8-)

The article is sub-par, poorly researched and bereft of real information, so in that regard it's as you'd expect :lol: :lol:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Re: Tritons infiltrate 4x4 action again

Postby Froggy on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Steane wrote:
The article is sub-par, poorly researched and bereft of real information, so in that regard it's as you'd expect :lol: :lol:

Exactly why I stopped buying 4x4 action mags a long time ago!
Froggy

Postby Homer on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Exactly why I've never bought one...well I bought one for Joe's first ever article but it was the wrong one. :roll:

Keeping them locked in plastic and not labeling them with months etc, just numbers was stupid enough for me not to buy another...

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Custom Offroad on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:18 pm

Thanks alco! I am hoping they use some of the 3-4 pages of information I had to supply in the article. I am looking forward to seeing Joel's article as the same guy shot my car as his and the pics I saw were unreal ;)

Mitch
Bash Plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad accessories......

viewforum.php?f=80
Custom Offroad

Postby Steane on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Homer wrote:Exactly why I've never bought one...well I bought one for Joe's first ever article but it was the wrong one. :roll:

Keeping them locked in plastic and not labeling them with months etc, just numbers was stupid enough for me not to buy another...

You should buy this one for the Triton article Homer, you'd love it ;)

Apparently the diesel engines are virtually trouble free and ultra reliable, while the petrols have 'complex electronics' and are expensive to repair. The V6s (according to the article) were killed for emissions reasons...until you read further into the article to learn that they were actually killed because nobody was buying them.

Rear springs squeak because nobody put any grease between the leaves in the factory :shock: :lol: :lol:

Lack of use of the 4WD is a killer for the Triton apparently...causes lubrication issues :?

And according to their way out of whack second hand price guide you can expect to pay more for a 2010 GLX than you would a 2010 GLX-R....while the 2007 VR is the pick of the bunch and still worth over $40k for a good un, coming in higher than all of the 2009 and 2010 models. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a corker of a read! :lol: :lol:

Not sure where they get their writers from :?
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Steane.... Do me a favour?
I'm not going to buy it either.... But.... Could you write a summary of the article? Your take would be a hell of lot more of an entertaining read. ;)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Homer on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:34 pm

^^^I second that. :lol: :lol: I was cackling while reading that last post.

Oh well...it seems they are coming 'round and starting top have a closer look at other styles of 4x4's than the old usuals.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby trickydevil on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Maybe I should have applied for a job there. My writing skills aren't good but at least I'd get the triton facts right.

I might get my pad a pencil out, put some filum in my pictorial imaging device get some tritons in Coffs and do my own article. :roll:
trickydevil

Next

Return to Triton News