Blinker Playing Up

Blinker Playing Up

Postby Iron_eagle70 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:42 pm

Here's a weird one...

About a month ago my indicator starting going mad when I put on the left turn signal. As per my knowledge I then checked the lights and sure enough the Left rear blinker was not flashing. So being the good guy I am I went straight to the auto Electrics shop and got a new $2 bulb.

Here's where it gets a little tricky. I then drove home noting that the blinker on the dash was now not flashing fast again. Checked it and it was working fine.

Now again today did the same thing started indicating that there was a bulb out on teh dash by flashing fast but by the time I got home was indicating ok again.

Any Ideas. I'm thinking there is a short in the system somewhere. Only problem is it's a while till the next service and I don't want to loose the Tri for a full day while the stealer tries to find the problem as it's most probably not going to be doing it when I take it there anyway.
Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow
Iron_eagle70

Re: Blinker Playing Up

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:43 am

Fuse problem id say, check your fuses!
ML-VR08

Postby subi_man on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:08 am

Iron, I would say it's one of two things - you have a bulb with a dodgy filament inside which is sometimes making a circuit, other times not (did you end up replacing that left rear bulb?)

OR if you have trailer wiring, I'd be looking there first as it's more prone to chafing and shorting out

Hope that helps!
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Iron_eagle70 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks guys..

Subi, no ended leaving the bulb in there can't say I've ever seen a bulb come back to life with a broken filament before so I'm guessing the latter the Mitsi trailer wiring or the fuses as ML says. I'll look at them next time I get a chance.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe the bulb is not seated properly I'll check that too I guess.

Thanks again
Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow
Iron_eagle70

Postby Homer on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:46 am

Iron_eagle70 wrote:Thanks guys..

Subi, no ended leaving the bulb in there can't say I've ever seen a bulb come back to life with a broken filament before so I'm guessing the latter the Mitsi trailer wiring or the fuses as ML says. I'll look at them next time I get a chance.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe the bulb is not seated properly I'll check that too I guess.

Thanks again

Yep maybe water ingression
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:55 am

I had no end of problems with using non-manufacture's headlights, just a thought. These were the new style lights where you have one for high and one for low beam. They'd blow in days due to the over-voltage when the alternator kicked in. You may have an over sensitive globe, try an stealership one if it doesn't clear up. Also, the non OEM globe may not have the correct resistance.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Return to Electrical