2010 2.5 MN engine failure @218k

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

2010 2.5 MN engine failure @218k

Postby Kgi on Wed May 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi all haven't posted in a while but thought I should share my last issue with my 2010 MN GLX-R manual triton. Bit of background on the truck is I've had it since new, always been serviced and and maintained as required and I use it for work and weekends. I have a chip it chip installed with a mild tune set on 3 and also have one of Tony's resistor mods to close the egr and also a catch can fitted which are the only mechanical modifications.
Heading away for easter on the highway and the engine start making a ticking noise so pulled over and it shut off, tried starting and it was as if it was seized and would not turn over. Cut a long story short seems at least one piston has a hole or crack and I'm up for a new engine. Not sure what could have caused it as it didn't get hot, had plenty of oil and always run clean caltex vortex fuel so possibly the chip or the egr mod could have caused the failure?
Now the car has travelled 218k over close to 7 years and it has had the gear box repaired under warranty along with a couple of turbos, scv's and I had to replace the gearbox myself about 20k ago at my cost after the 3rd and main gear went. So basically I have a car which I paid 50k for and has cost me close to another 10k in repairs and that's using second hand gearbox and motor. Not sure if I got a dud or I'm expecting too much from it but don't think I'll be buying another one and would like to hear others experiences too.
Kgi

Re: 2010 2.5 MN engine failure @218k

Postby srb on Wed May 03, 2017 10:17 pm

My guess would be an injector failure... Are they the original injectors? If so then that would be the most likely cause.:-(
Best to replace injectors before 200k kms, especially if you're running a rail chip. ;-) Hard lesson to learn as very expensive repair bill.
Recently a mate of mine had same issue with his Hilux but with less kms than you, so can happen to common rail diesels. Unfortunately you haven't had a good run by sound of it. Bugger. :-(

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bodia on Thu May 04, 2017 1:32 pm

We run navaras hilux's and triton's at work and have lots of fuel system related issues with the hilux and navara. We don't seem to get the issue with the triton but I doubt its immune to the issue. Have you had an injector readout lately. Mate of mine gets hilux injector readout every service he is so worried
bodia

Postby baito on Thu May 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Bugger kgi.... No good... Just after you got the tray etc on her... That sucks mate. Hope it's not terminal..
baito

Postby Kgi on Thu May 11, 2017 7:10 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas :D
Well seems as things aren't so straight forward with fitting a second hand motor from the wreckers :oops:
I bought a 2012 model motor with 106k on the clock to install in my 2010 and once the mechanic fitted it all up he had trouble coding the injectors. So off to the diesel joint to code and they now say they are not compatible with my computer WTF? Now waiting to hear back from the wreckers to sort out this issue. I was wondering if the ecu from the wreck should have been supplied so there was no problem with compatibility? The car runs and drives with the mismatched injectors however will not make much power.
Kgi

Postby coughy on Thu May 11, 2017 8:06 pm

these will be the injectors you will need m8

OEM (MITSUBISHI) Part Number: 1465A297 / 1465A257
as i have been down this path as well
ring mitsubishi and give your vin and they will tell you the part number that you need for your car
the early model need the numbers i give you
these numbers are on the side if the injectors when u pull them out
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components