MN Traction control

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Front Locking Differentials - Locked & Loaded

Postby al coholic on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:41 pm

chaser wrote:The abs/traction control in tritons is crap and it simply dont work. I have had many cars doing stupid things with all these systems turned on and they really dont work!They dont cut power they just apply the brakes and hope for the best i think lol.....

Firstly......Im sure Mitsubishi Motors Aust would be really impressed with one of their mechanics publicly bagging the product he is meant to represent :?

And what do you base your opinion of the TC on Chaser?? It is not going to perform real well while the vehicle is on a hoist......which I suggest is the only real world experience you have had with it. Not having a go.....just trying to understand your comments.
Everything we have seen the TC do offroad has been very positive.......it actually performs quite well for what it is......its not a diff lock by any means........but it will easily get you further off road than an LSD only equipped vehicle......no contest. ;) Im not saying it is the ultimate traction aid........but for what it is....its great!! You want to go further......fit a diff lock 8-)

And isnt the whole idea of TC to brake the slipping wheel/wheel with no traction??? Hence the braking?? :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Mattstruck on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:01 pm

^^^shit here we go again!

My experiance is very different Chaser :D

Mine work fine :D
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby daryn on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:50 am

Well I am half inclined to agree with Chaser, I have not seen a TC equipped vehicle go further than my LSD equipped vehicle, so I don't agree with AL's "It will easily get you further".

More than welcome to participate in a LSD vs TC vs OEM DL to squash this as well if needed. 3 vehicles only. Just depends on location and timing for me.

But this is FDL thread so I will stop there.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Mooons on Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:56 am

daryn wrote:Well I am half inclined to agree with Chaser, I have not seen a TC equipped vehicle go further than my LSD equipped vehicle, so I don't agree with AL's "It will easily get you further".

More than welcome to participate in a LSD vs TC vs OEM DL to squash this as well if needed. 3 vehicles only. Just depends on location and timing for me.

But this is FDL thread so I will stop there.

I think you would need to look for just 1 driver as driver ability will affect this & vehicles to be the same ie all auto or all manual
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coxy47 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:02 am

The other big thing and probably the hardest to sort out will be tyres due to significant levels in grip
coxy47

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:23 am

Some kero on the fire!

With all the mods and money put into some units, to take them deeper into the sh*t, maybe the initial choice of vehicle is just inappropriate for the task!

Get a Unimog! or a G-wagen - actually purpose built!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:01 pm

daryn wrote:Well I am half inclined to agree with Chaser, I have not seen a TC equipped vehicle go further than my LSD equipped vehicle, so I don't agree with AL's "It will easily get you further".

Daz
you have to be kidding. Maybe you should spend less time in the bush with photographers :lol: , sorry mate had to have that dig, easy laughs for me anyway. and more time watching the other vehicles. Ken and i cruise around with the TC only most of the time, whilst Ben, Brendan and Geek are hard pressed keeping up, shit flying everywere and lots of load pedal.
The TC makes a huge difference. I must admit that I only apply DL for the hard stuff and Ken pushes the TC even further. The step that did Geeks tailshaft and I made a meal off with the RDL, Ken drove easily with the TC :?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:34 pm

yer daryn your kidding yourself.

have you seen/felt the difference by using left foot braking or your handbrak when in a hard situation where wheels are lifted or a considerable amount of weight is taken off certian wheels? its chaulk and cheese. now with TC it does the same but more precisly and without the engine slowing/labouring when you use your left foot breaking/ handbreak because your braking the wheel/'s that have traction
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby har05l on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:15 pm

And to add onto garth's comments, Bylong Creek, wombat holes, me T/C 1st go no probs. Your go and made it to the end but had to have a few goes to get the last bit.
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Ken, the main advantage you have over others is that you have the softest most supple suspension with great tyres which I am sure you know. To get our lifts, whether it be ultimate or whoever else, the suspension is stiffened, increased height but stiffer. Your suspension will give you the edge over Garth as long as clearance does not play a part, otherwise you just drive harder to clear. Who knows about bylong holes, were you doing 8km's/hr and I was doing 6.5km/hr which helped you, don't know but I will back that the LSD's are a hell of a lot better than what credit has been given for in this case and my case.

I do think that the TC the tritons have is of the most basic form and as such is no where as good as what it should be and isn't that big of an advantage. I will rate the MTZ tyres as like given me a half or 3/4 diff lock advantage over my atz's, chalk and cheese. I can see why Ben, geek and Brendan may not have always been there, the right tyres make that much difference. Ken and garths have always been equipped with the right off road tyres and they push their vehicles harder than most, they know that too.

Don't get me wrong, if I could I would rather have F & R DL & decent TC MkII, a lift but with a much softer suspension like what ken has now, helicoptercow had it but he has also now lost the suppleness, just don't under estimate a good lsd with tyres at the right pressure.

I know that we will never get a definitive answer ever on this traction stuff but we are the luckiest out of all of the makes to have at least the options that we do, for the time being anyway.

And I know there will be times as has happened where a DL or TC will go where the LSD didn't. For the majority of us those places are rare(not every track is a wheeny).
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby fraz91 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:06 pm

As far as the TC goes, I can get most places offroad that the rest of you locked guys will get to. It's only the last few places where the TC simply bogs the engine down too much that I have to back off before I build up too much speed and damage something. Just today, I was getting up stuff my mate in his 3" lifted on 33's 80series was having trouble with, while I'm at 2" and 32's. By rights, he should be able to crawl up any rock face I do, but there were times where the TC gave me that little bit of edge over his LSD.

As far as the TC goes on road, it's crap compared to the TC systems of a purely on-road vehicle (like an audi or merc). Offroad, however, and it comes into a world of its own. It brakes the individual wheels that are spinning to make sure the power is going to the wheels that have the traction. Yes it has a tendency to bounce the car a little, and will also wear your brakes a little quicker, but it definitely helps (except in sand :lol: ).

Factory LSD's are good, but I'd gladly have the TC over an LSD anyday, and an aftermarket locker over the LSD.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby al coholic on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:16 pm

I never said the LSD isnt any good.......the major reason i am getting a front locker is to retain the factory LSD :D It is one of the best LSD's out there.

I think a number of people at times forget what the hell these vehicles are!!! :roll: They are a commercial vehicle.....basically entry level 4wd's in the new vehicle market (not including Suzuki and other crap like that) But out of the major manufacturers in this country...a dual cab ute is about the cheapest 4wd you will get into if buying new. So why the f### would you compare it to an Audi or a Merc??? Of course those TC systems are better....you are paying 5 times the amount you paid for a Triton. Ok, so a Porsche actually acellerates the opposite wheel instead of braking the slipping wheel........SO WHAT!! Its not a porsche!!! :lol:

As i said in the original post........FOR WHAT IT IS.....The TC on the Triton is fine...to say outright that it is shit is not fair. You cant compare it to another vehicle that cost 200k......up until this year it was the ONLY dual cab with TC fitted. Pretty good i think :? Not to mention all the other features the Triton has over others in the dual cab scene (see how i am comparing to other dual cabs) :twisted:

As i also said, it comes into its own offroad (who cares about TC on road anyway) and i do believe it is better than just a rear LSD on the ML's ;) (Sorry Daz) but even if you take away the real life scenarios....and think about it in theory about what the TC is trying to do....it HAS to be better. I have seen it on several MN's on a variety of tracks.....i know how much more effort i have needed to do the same hill.

Of course as Daryn mentioned other factors always come into play........and we will never get a definitive result, but its pretty clear after all the trips we have done that the TC can hold its own, it's not shit ;) As i said, this is on a variety of tracks (not every track is wheeny ck, but here it doesnt matter, its hard going no matter what you have fitted) im talking about the regular muddy hills, red clay hills, rock steps and rocky climbs. Lithgow Zig Zag, Lake Lyell, Sugarloaf, Oberon, Coffs, Yalwal.........every trip i have seen it. I am not sitting behind my computer making it up.......I have seen it perform, I believe the TC is better than just an LSD ;)

The LSD is great.......TC adds a bit more...........a difflock is better than both of those....simple :D
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby ag9111 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Cheers Ben

Good summary
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:23 pm

^^ Theory is sound ;)

I actually rate my TC so highly I hardly ever use my factory rear diff lock as it disables the TC, leaving the front open to its own devices....

I reckon I know how to change that ;) but whatever I have a Lokka coming now ;) ;) :D :D

What the hell. I might still have a go at it, for the forum :D

AG9111??
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby norto on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:43 am

After travelling to Cape York, across the Simpson Desert, The Canning Stock Route, Savannah Way etc
and trying to back my caravan up our steep rocky gravel rear driveway :D , i have to say that when the going gets
tough a diff lock is way ahead of TC
Pete
norto

Re: MN Traction control

Postby daryn on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:44 am

TC posts from FLD - L&L moved to here
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby burnah on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:41 pm

chaser wrote:Im just going to put this hear.

The abs/traction control in tritons is crap and it simply dont work. I have had many cars doing stupid things with all these systems turned on and they really dont work!They dont cut power they just apply the brakes and hope for the best i think lol.....

Bugger! Maybe yours is broken.
The ABS has saved my life twice in the rain. My last vehicle was a 1989 KE Laser and on both occasions I can guarantee I would have slid straight up someones rear at 100kmh. I couldn't believe how short my stopping distance was in the MN.
:D
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:05 pm

burnah wrote:
chaser wrote:Im just going to put this hear.

The abs/traction control in tritons is crap and it simply dont work. I have had many cars doing stupid things with all these systems turned on and they really dont work!They dont cut power they just apply the brakes and hope for the best i think lol.....

Bugger! Maybe yours is broken.
The ABS has saved my life twice in the rain. My last vehicle was a 1989 KE Laser and on both occasions I can guarantee I would have slid straight up someones rear at 100kmh. I couldn't believe how short my stopping distance was in the MN.
:D

Your right burnah, his doesn't work because he doesn't own one :twisted:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Here's a link to a hill climb using just traction control versers rear locker so I believe traction control is a good
asset to have in a vehicle but diff lock is the ultimate.

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Satellit ... 8923755523
sam

Postby Hymie on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:32 pm

sam wrote:Here's a link to a hill climb using just traction control versers rear locker so I believe traction control is a good
asset to have in a vehicle but diff lock is the ultimate.

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Satellit ... 8923755523

From my experience what is in that video is exactly how I have experienced it.

I'll leave the TC on most of the time but if I'm doing something that looks difficult I'll put in the rear locker as I have found it WILL get me further than just TC alone. I'd much prefer to have front and rear air lockers but I have so much else I need to get first, like under body protection.

At Glass house yesterday I watched a 3" lifted Hilux struggle on these small climbs (lots of articulation required) and then tried them with TC on and got up were he couldn't and if I'd had front locker I could have crawled up all of them with ease like Fridgie did (makes me so sick with jealousy when he does .... lol)
People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coxy47 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:34 pm

I must say i have to agree with Hymie. Traction control definitely made a big difference over an lsd or open diff. However, while it will in theory work like a locker, there is no system in the world that will transfer the power quickly enough to truly behave the same as a locker.

The difference between hymie and fridge doing the same track was sickening. Hymie got through the tracks with wheel spin and a lot more effort. Fridge may as well have idled up them.

Front and rear lockers are definitely the ultimate traction setup. From what i have seen I would say a single front locker would be the next best followed by either a single rear locker or traction control depending on the situation.
coxy47

Postby Tony on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:12 pm

:lol: :lol: reading back over some of my first post here :roll: :lol:

Believe it or not, I have not bothered with lockers in the end as the TC has still served me well and can shove it off with the ASC if I need to now.

You know what shts me the most with TC? If you stake the donk up a bit and drive hard with ASC off, you find lots of tyre spinning on the black top before the TC grabs it. :evil: This for me is where LSD wins hands down.
A locked diff would have the same issues only worse!

It's been covered before, before you say TC is totally useless off road compared to a LSD with the handbrake cranked on, try it with the ASC off. :idea: Its not bad and wont cut the torque other than brake friction. ;)
ASC with TC may be useful on ice etc as does cut the toque + brake the wheel that's lost purchase.

I know this is a TC thread, I have one major issue with lockers, driver has to select on off to make some tight lines. T/C just drive the bastard. :twisted:

yea, yea, locker is better, T/C is easier for lazy people like me. :lol: :lol:

I still maintain TC is not bad and certainly up for the task to get a touring vehicle out of strife. 8-)

Ultimately, I hope to source an 8" LSD (for MN) and still run TC to overcome the traction issues on black top. :mrgreen:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby micv on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi TC experts,
I was out on the Guanaba-Tamborine track today and had to battle for 30min to get up a steep muddy clay hill, very slippery after this weeks rain.

Later on when resting I noticed looking from behind my ute that it was tilted to one side. I looked underneath and sure enough the leaf spring on one side had inverted! I haven't read the thread on that yet but I figured that I might be able to pop it out myself by driving the wheel into a hole while the opposite wheel is up a ramp. So I tried this at home afterward and I think it worked (though I risked inverting the spring on the opposit side in the process).

Anyway while I was doing this I found that I couldn't get off the ramps even in low range and centre diff locked.
I had:
- left rear spinning in a hole
- right rear resting on a wheel ramp and not spinning
- right front spinning on wet grass
- left front resting on a wheel ramp and not spinning

Take a look at this video. I am in low range, 1st gear, reverse, ASC off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ZS1atDL-Q

I was dismayed at the time because I had always thought the GLXR had LSD on the back, because it is listed as that for 2010/11 model details on Redbook where I had researched before buying (I have a GLXR 2010 MY11).

So why wasn't the ETC working:
- doesn't work in reverse?
- revs too slow?
- broken? mud clogging up something or damage, blown fuse? (no engine lights)

Any advice appreciated.
Mike
micv

Postby har05l on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:08 am

To the best of my knowledge mike no MN triton was offered with the LSD :? , I may be wrong though :oops:

You may have damaged or pulled a wire on the rear diff when you inverted the leaf so this may answer why the TC isn't working ;) , other than that I got nothing :|
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mooons on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:58 pm

har05l wrote:To the best of my knowledge mike no MN triton was offered with the LSD :? , I may be wrong though :oops:

You may have damaged or pulled a wire on the rear diff when you inverted the leaf so this may answer why the TC isn't working ;) , other than that I got nothing :|

I thought the lower models without the traction control got the LSD
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components