MN Traction control

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: MN Traction control

Postby har05l on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:20 pm

Never come across one yet mooons :? , I thought that was why fraz fitted the ML diff or maybe that was to reduce the gear ratio :?

I work in a factory so I was plucking at straws :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mooons on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:35 pm

har05l wrote:Never come across one yet mooons :? , I thought that was why fraz fitted the ML diff or maybe that was to reduce the gear ratio :?

I work in a factory so I was plucking at straws :lol:

I could be wrong also lol
BUT Fraz has traction control hence no LSD from the factory
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:54 pm

The guy with the question had a GLX-R so the discussion is a bit hypothetical.

I too have found it hard to keep track of stuff lately with the various models.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:18 pm

Pretty sure it was MY12 when the LSD was dropped and TC introduced across the range.

For micv, it is possible to get hung up like that even with the LSD. Remember that it's "limited" slip, not "no" slip, so if you do have the LSD you have to give it a little help by pulling the handbrake on a notch or two. This will transfer the drive to the wheel with traction. Having the vehicle in 4LLC or 4HLC won't make any difference - the centre diff might be locked but there are diffs at each end that are not.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby micv on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Thanks for the comments. Whether LSD or not, I expected to see TC working on the front at least. I wonder if mud can interfere with speed sensors or if larger diameter wheels effectively raise the threshold at which the TC kicks in, or give the illusion of that, or if there is no TC in reverse. I'm going to go under now to clean it up and see what I can see.
micv

Postby har05l on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:53 pm

micv wrote:Thanks for the comments. Whether LSD or not, I expected to see TC working on the front at least. I wonder if mud can interfere with speed sensors or if larger diameter wheels effectively raise the threshold at which the TC kicks in, or give the illusion of that, or if there is no TC in reverse. I'm going to go under now to clean it up and see what I can see.

Also remember most if not all LSD vehicles will have a sticker or some form of tag on the fill plug so you know what it is ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Think this is probably the best thread to ask this question:

My MY12 GLX has traction control. It's also my first foray in 4WDing.

I understand the theory of TC but am wanting to know if what I've experienced in driving some dunes is TC working, or just changeable grip/traction of the track.

So, at the top of some sandhills that I've been playing with over the last few weekends, as I've got to the top and needed to the turn reasonably sharply (to follow the track), it's felt as if the Triton was bogging down (re forward motion) then all of a sudden it kind of lurched forward with traction, I guess as if it had lost traction (and I assume one wheel spinning) then regained it.

When the traction was regained it was a quite dramatic difference.

Would this be the effect of TC kicking in? Looking to see if the TC light was flashing was the last thing on my mind as I was trying to negotiate the corner atop a sandhill!
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:59 pm

I dont find mine lurches, although im not often driving in sand. On rocks and when crossed up it does tend to kick a little though. That may also be due to the LSD teaming up with the TC in my vehicle. It never truly loses momentum, just takes a second to gain the needed grip to keep going on up.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Amaroo on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Odie that sounds like the stability control cutting power in that scenario you describe. Did you switch the stability control off or left it on?
Amaroo

Postby micv on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:51 pm

I think this raises also the question of how can you test the traction control. I was convinced my TC was not working and asked the dealer to test it while the car was in for other work last week. Their attitdue was that if there are no lights and no codes then there is not problem and they had no safe way of verifying ETC was working in the workshop. But I know I saw otherwise as the video shows but it is not so easy to reproduce that scenario to test it again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ZS1atDL-Q (super select, low range, ASC off)

Anyone got any alternative suggestions for testing that TC is working properly?

If I don't have LSD or reliable ETC then how can I have the confidence to do any challanging offroading or continue to invest in this vehicle as a 4x4?
micv

Postby TheWall on Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:41 am

Sharp turns on Wet Tarmac can safely demonstrate if TC is working? It will try and prevent under steer by individually braking wheels.
TheWall

Postby Bigbirdalx on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:37 am

Get on a beach, 2nd gear, 2000rpm and start fish tailing, ul find out very quickly if the traction control works
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby micv on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:04 am

I want to see it for myself, and not just lights on the dash. I'm thinking getting a wheel up in the air somehow and someone else to drive it so I can see for myself that the spinning wheel is breaked. But even that is easier said than done. There needs to be a safe and repeatable way.
micv

Postby Amaroo on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:49 am

Find a shallow ditch like a drainage ditch that you can safely drive across diagonally so that you can have front and rear opposing wheels dropping into the ditch at the same time. Depending on how you end up balancing one or both opposing wheels will be unweighted and want to spin which should activate the traction control. Keep in mind it does take a small loss of traction to engage and it's not instantaneous.

It'll work better if you are heading uphill across the ditch but you should be able to get it to work on flat ground, you may need someone to lean on a corner to get it balanced to lift a wheel.
Amaroo

Postby hvac guy on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:51 am

Do a line lock on grass and mash the pedal to the floor and lift of the break U will fill the car hunting and the revs rising and droping also turning the asc does limit the tc a bit
As well to try in 4x4 hook the car up to a big tree on grass.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby baito on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:53 am

Find a steep hill with a few ruts, turn off asc and try and drive it in 2 wheel drive you will feel the traction control working, you will lose momentum then gain it then lose it then gain it again, do this at a low speed in 1st
baito

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:06 am

I wonder if TC still works in reverse? If not that would explain your ramp test fail.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby TheWall on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:33 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:I wonder if TC still works in reverse? If not that would explain your ramp test fail.

I now have an image of heaps of Triton/Challengers all reversing madly up and down beaches and around their favourite car parks/ roundabouts - all for scientific research of course! :D
TheWall

Postby macca002 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:31 am

I would be inclined to just go out and wheel it. Eventually you will feel the TC kicking in, and its a bit more exciting than trying to skid/slip it up on grass :|
macca002

Postby micv on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:45 pm

OK thanks for the various suggestions. Today I went for a more scientific approach that envolved digging two holes in the back yard and a set of wheel ramps.

The first video shows the ETC apparently not working and a repeat of my intial observation that raised concern and sparked the inquiry. It is in 4HLC/ASCoff and behaving as you would expect open diffs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fARbQFJ ... e=youtu.be

Then after a change to 4LLC/ASCoff, the ETC was finally apparent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqzdbRPX ... e=youtu.be

My conclusion is that the ETC was working the whole time but was simply ineffective in that situation until it was pushed a bit harder. I suppose ETC is only as effective as your brakes, and we all know a car will quite easily drive a way with the handbrake left on! I wonder if the ETC was applying the brake too lightly and too briefly at the lower revs.

So I would think that the ETC will be more useful on slippery surfaces under all wheels (like sand, gravel, snow, clay, mud) but not much good on rock climbing or when the load on one wheel is much greater than the other in a pair.
micv

Postby macca002 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:12 pm

As said already - TC has its limits. If you gave it enough and kept the rpms constant, it would have driven through.

Front or rear diff lock on the other hand would have shit it in easily
macca002

Postby micv on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:12 pm

It just occurred to me that if riding the clutch as we were in that situation, when the ETC kicks in the slipping clutch will dissipate some or all the energy instead of the other wheel if it is heavily loaded in comparison.
Good learning experience.
micv

Postby mIwoo on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:25 pm

thats awesome. thanks for doing that... taught me something. Interesting. yes, its not perfect, but its still better than without it.
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby bill65 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Mooons wrote:
har05l wrote:To the best of my knowledge mike no MN triton was offered with the LSD :? , I may be wrong though :oops:

You may have damaged or pulled a wire on the rear diff when you inverted the leaf so this may answer why the TC isn't working ;) , other than that I got nothing :|

I thought the lower models without the traction control got the LSD

have been looking up this the LSD in the mn came out in the two wheel drive ;) :D :idea:
bill65
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:08 pm

micv wrote:So I would think that the ETC will be more useful on slippery surfaces under all wheels (like sand, gravel, snow, clay, mud) but not much good on rock climbing or when the load on one wheel is much greater than the other in a pair.

I reckon it could be the opposite.........in the rocks is where TC really seems to shine :mrgreen:

This vid is Fraz doing some rock climbing with nothing but TC ;)

The trick with TC when offroad is to keep the revs up ;) If you back off the accelerator.....its all over!!!

You simply didn't have enough revs while its up on the ramps....although the free wheels are spinning.
There are not many situations off road when you would be completely stopped while crossed up like that. You would be rolling up to the obstacle (which is momentum)....keeping the revs constant and the TC will do its thing and pull you through :D

As said above......TC isnt as good as lockers....but its not a bad substitute 8-)

//Just remember......that ASC button must be turned off every time you restart the vehicle for the TC to work offroad ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components