Boost controller

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Boost controller

Postby brenze87 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:14 pm

hey guys
fitted a turbotech boost controller($30 at the door from ebay) on the ute this arvo. took about 15 minutes to fit and about 15 minutes to adjust. standard i was getting 11psi in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. but for some reason holds more boost in 4th and 5th gears 13psi. have adjusted to about 20psi which i think is almost reaching max capcity for the factory turbo. i feel like i'm driving a new car, would highly recommend doing this before spending hundreds on exhausts (even though i have a 3") the boost controller provides more performance. hope this helps anyone looking for a bit more out of their 3.2.
brenze87

Re: Boost controller

Postby Install on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi brenze87, DIY job for wiring it in? Where abouts does it connect into?
If you're in control, you ain't going fast enuff!
Install

Postby brenze87 on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:44 am

brenze87

Postby Buzzy on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:31 am

How would you go removing it for warranty/servicing?
Im sure the stealer wouldnt like to see a boost controller in your engine bay.

I would like to give it a try 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby MonsterTriton on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:06 pm

the boost controller can be set inside cabin,
check my profile out!

usually the bleed vavle boost controller is so easy to install and use.
THERE IS A MONSTER IN ALL OF US
MonsterTriton

Postby MonsterTriton on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:25 pm

if you guys would like pic of the set up and several ranges of boost controllers.

Generally speaking, you can increase 4psi more than std. safely!!!
to maximize the performance include a piggieback chip then you will reallyyyyyyyyyyyyy love the power you get. forget the 200hp, you can obtain 220hp, and mid 400NM of torque.
Last edited by MonsterTriton on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonsterTriton

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:01 am

Hey brenzer can you throw some pics up of how you connected it to the turbo etc?
ML-VR08

Postby Eelesy on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:27 am

This may help, this is how i connected mine up

Piece of cake, the only thing i advise is to check the sticker on the t piece is on the right may,
I found out the hard way. must have been a late shift for the little chinaman applying the stickers, it was on backwards
Easy way to test is if u put ur finger on the top u should be able to blow air thru it the way the arrow is facing

Click to view larger picture
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Eelesy on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:07 pm

MLVR08 pm'd me and asked for pics of how to set up

This is a pic of where to junction the single hose that runs to the boost guage, i then followed across the back of the engine bay and thru a grommet.

i was goin to take pics of the tpiece to connect the hose for the controller, but that requires taking off the hose between the airbox and turbo, and honestly, the picture in my previous post explains it in a very simple way

Click to view larger picture
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby GLX-RSilver on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:45 pm

Hey there Tritonasaurus, just wondering what is the hose you connected your tee fitting too?
I thought it had to be connect to the wastegate actuator?
GLX-RSilver

Postby Eelesy on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:19 pm

GLX-RSilver wrote:Hey there Tritonasaurus, just wondering what is the hose you connected your tee fitting too?
I thought it had to be connect to the wastegate actuator?

The Boost Controller is connected via a T-piece between the inlet on the turbo and the wastegate actuator

The Boost gauge gets its reading from the T-piece as shown in the picture, this hose is a small vacuum hose going to the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. The manifold absolute pressure sensor provides manifold pressure information to the engine's electronic control unit (ECU).

So i believe the way i have it set up, the boost gauge can get its most accurate reading.
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby GLX-RSilver on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:38 pm

Hey there Thanks now i understand the photo.
What standard triton boost?
Cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby Eelesy on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:10 pm

GLX-RSilver wrote:What standard triton boost?
Cheers

About 13-14psi, although now with the boost controller installed its running around 18-19psi.

At lower revs obviously not that noticable, but at higher speeds it is deffinetly an advantage, i noticed this when i went on a day trip on sunday, went to pull out and over take one car, the accelleration was pretty good so i ended up bagging up 3 at once.
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby ML-VR08 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:25 am

Saurus - im going to hook up my boost gauge and controller this weekend! Im pretty sure i know where you hook all your shit upto! There a little tube going from the turbo to the wastegate its around 4" in length and sorta a "U" shape the way i was looking at it. Would i be correct on this?
ML-VR08

Postby Eelesy on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:08 am

Thats the one MLVR08, you cant miss it.

Other tips i can give you is make sure you use cable ties or hose clamps (if u can find some small enough) to hold all hoses on as with the increased pressure it has a tendancy to pop hoses off with the original metal circlips, which cant really harm the motor, its just annoying to have to take bits off to re connect.

Also keep your vaccum hose away from hot bits too, my controller only came with a metre length, so i would suggest going to Repco or Supercheap and getting another couple of metres. Its 4mm inside diameter with a 2mm wall.

Where were u thinking of mounting your gauge?
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby ML-VR08 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:24 am

I found these cool Uni Fit pods that just fit onto your pillar! But im not sure if its what im after - and at a cost of $150 for 2 stupid holes with a flat piece of plastic its not really ideal!

So i was either thinking where you have yours or maybe try do a custom type thing above the Trip Computer - where there is that flat bit! Try and fit a XR6-Turbo type setup on there, cause im pretty sure you can get the pod mounts from Autobarn or Supershit! Might just have to play around till i can find something that looks a little custom!
ML-VR08

Postby Eelesy on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:58 am

Mine seems to fit nice and snug where it is. only at night it can be bright and reflect off the windscreen, but im sure this would happen anywhere. im going to buy a voltage regulator and drop the power to the leds in it from 12v to 6v, hopefully this would make it better.

i too toyed with the idea of making a custom pod somewhere, i have a spare surround for above the trip computer so one day ill hack into it.

mine is just stuck where it is using double sided tape and i cut two slits thru the dashmat
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Install on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Tritonasaurus; i also wanted something like the pillar mount for some gauges but did not like the fit of anyone of the plastic rubbish that i tried.
I ended up settling for gauges that had a small steel foot that attaches to the plastic gauge cups that you are supposed to "stick or screw down" to your dash. They are just sheetmetal & have two small thin uprights to attach the gauge to, i cut small slots in my own pillar plastic, pushed the uprights through the plastic from the door pillar side then attached the gauges. You can't see the foot plate at all now & looks almost factory. If and when i tire of them or want to remove them i'll just buy one more plastic pillar cover from Mr Mitsi and back to new quick smart.

I'll post a pick if you are interested,
Install

Postby Eelesy on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:25 pm

i would like to see a pic of what you have done install. it would be interesting to see.

what you have done by cutting the slots in the piller sounds like what i have done but under the dashmat.

it would not be possible for me to do it the same way you have as i like my Garmin gps where it is and currently in that spot, but i would still like to see how you did yours
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby MonsterTriton on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:59 pm

guys within 2 days i will post up my setup, and how to install the boost controller. its actually very simple.

JUST TO INFORM YOU GUYS, EITHER GO FOR THE BOOST CONTROLLER BLEED VAVLE.
OR AN ELECTRONIC GREDDY PROFEC B, they are pricey but are the only electronic controllers that are stable in the market.

anyways if anyone needs any help PM me.
MonsterTriton

Postby Install on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:29 pm

Tritonasaurus, sorry it's taken so long to post some photo's but here they are;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Install

Postby Eelesy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:01 pm

looks good there install.

Where did you get the boost gauge from?? it looks like it matches in nicely with the dash lights.
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby 2dads on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:56 am

I think you can get those gauges from autobarn.(I'm on a roll 2nd plug for the day)
Without Fuel: Pilots are Pedestrians
2dads

Postby 2dads on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:42 am

I think you can get those gauges from autobarn.(I'm on a roll 2nd plug for the day)
Without Fuel: Pilots are Pedestrians
2dads

Postby Eelesy on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:07 pm

does that double post mean you are now on ur third plug?
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Next

Return to Drive Train Components