Steering wheel Shake

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Steering wheel Shake

Postby ML-VR08 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:33 pm

Ok - some might think this is weird by does anyone else suffer the steering wheel shake? I was driving along a corrigated road towing a boat (look on my profile) and i can feel along with the steering wheel wobble there is a slight rattle or something in the steering colum, the steering wheel wobble i can live with but not the rattle... does anyone have an idea what this could be? It feels like something is loose... the steering wobble is caused by the big wheels shaking alot (when hitting pot holes etc) - (is fine when driving on smooth road no wobble), but unsure what the other thing is, its very hard to decribe but think of putting a marble in a plastic tube and shaking it you feel the rattle inside the tube, now also imagine the wheel wobbling aswel...and this is what i have! Do all tritons do this or just mine? The more psi i run in the tyre the more the wobble is...

This is the only time i have felt the rattle in the steering - always had the wobble since the tyres have been put on!
ML-VR08

Re: Steering wheel Shake

Postby subi_man on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:19 am

The rattle is not uncommon mate, and could be a flogged out bearing in the steering column. Mitsubishi have been known to fix this, but I don;t think there is a Hotline fix number associated that I know of.

Cheers
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby King Triton on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:36 am

I have been experiencing the wobble but not the rattle ever since i put the 265/75 on the triton.
Is anybody else experiencing the wobble with 265/75's
It is alot more noticeable at higher speeds 95-110km/hr. I was thinking it was a tyre balancing issue but if others are experiencing this aswell than it must be due to the larger tyres.
King Triton

Postby tassietriton on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:00 am

I have noticed more of a wobble with the 20# alloys and 285s
tassietriton

Postby Jitsukablue on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:19 pm

This might sound stupid, but I've pulled out handfulls of stones out of my tyre tread, that is more than enough to upset a wheel ballance!
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby FreestyleCab on Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:08 am

The Triton has unusually sensitive steering. My drive to work is over a potholed/patched bitumen road and the steering wheel is constantly "bucking around" in my hands. It gets quite painfull at times, it was exacerbated when I fitted the 10ply Cooper STTs. I have been wondering if fitting a return to centre steering stabiliser is possible and would it make any difference.
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Buzzy on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:59 am

Im with you on that FSC. Lets design something
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby sam on Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:09 pm

I have been looking at this idea and even went and bought a steering damper that I thought I
might be able to do something with but alas it ain't going to be easy in any way that I can see :roll: :roll:
sam

Postby barraxt on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:49 pm

when I went to the 265 ATs, it shimmied over bumps in the front. The vehicle could definately use a steering damper if larger than factory tyres are fitted.
barraxt

Postby Homer on Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:18 am

Hi guys, I am -or was :shock: going to 265/75's when my stockos wear out.
I have a question - it may be silly and I know most of you guys are pretty cluey about these beasties, but what tyre pressures are you running?
I found my truck came standard with about 44psi in the tyres and it was a bad bump steerer. Lowering them to 34 made a huge difference. Then after the 1500km service it started again and I checked and they'd increased the pressure to 40psi again. Lowered the pressure and it was back to normal.

Sometimes small details are overlooked that could be the difference - eg. the difference between BM's views of the performance of the stock tyres was just some had 16" tyres and others 17" tyres, but no one asked.

I know bump steering and wobble are different, but was just wondering if anyones varied the pressures - as I want 265/75's ??
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sam on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:00 pm

Homer I run mine at approx 34 psi (265/75 BFG's)
I used to run the rears at approx 28 unloaded and the fronts at 32 and the ride was quite a bit better
but fuel economy was not as good either so hence why I upped the pressures a bit especially when I
was paying $1.85 a ltr :shock:
sam

Postby Homer on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:46 am

Yes I'm not looking forward to the days of fuel over $1.50 again!

So Sam, are you saying that the 'wobble' decreases with your tyre pressure lowered? So it is like the bump steer thing?? Or is it like a wheel balance thing that happens all the time (with or without bumps).
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sam on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:26 am

Homer wrote:Yes I'm not looking forward to the days of fuel over $1.50 again!

So Sam, are you saying that the 'wobble' decreases with your tyre pressure lowered? So it is like the bump steer thing?? Or is it like a wheel balance thing that happens all the time (with or without bumps).

I find that it's bump steer feedback through the steering and it tends to decrease as you reduce pressures.

Just for the exercise reduce your pressures to 28 psi and go for a drive also I think from memory that
the recommended pressure in the orig tyres is approx 29psi anyway ;)
sam

Postby Homer on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:55 pm

sam wrote:
Homer wrote:Yes I'm not looking forward to the days of fuel over $1.50 again!

I find that it's bump steer feedback through the steering and it tends to decrease as you reduce pressures.

Just for the exercise reduce your pressures to 28 psi and go for a drive also I think from memory that
the recommended pressure in the orig tyres is approx 29psi anyway ;)

Beauty mate, thanks for that. I was hoping it was just a bump steer issue - means there are no probs - just adjust the pressures.
From reading some of the comments I thought it was like my mates old,old,old Hilux that has about 1/4 of a turn "wobble" while you drive along nice flat roads- almost like riding the old bike with buckled wheels.

I don't understand why the dealers keep pumping the tyres up! I just keep letting them down again!!

Homer
Valued Contributor

Return to Drive Train Components