2011 MN triton - Starting issue cold days

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

2011 MN triton - Starting issue cold days

Postby Samwich on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:33 am

G'day guys,

Since winter has hit, the triton is taking longer to start.
If the temperature is around 0-15degrees, will take 3-5 seconds on the key to kick over.

Worse ive seen was -7, took about 10 tries at 3-5 secs for it to kick over. Really struggled. where as all friends diesels started first turn.

Truck has 101,000kms on the clock.. am I looking at a glowplug issue? Are these costly to replace?

Cheers,
Sam
Samwich

Re: 2011 MN triton - Starting issue cold days

Postby MilkmanDan on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:54 am

Mine does it, completely normal.
MilkmanDan

Postby Maxiy on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:19 am

mine has issues when it is really cold (Not as bad as you described however).

Try changing to a 5w-30 oil (was suggested to me by my mechanic)

Yet to do it, so no idea if it will help, but will change when i next dump the oil
Maxiy

Postby Duck on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:44 am

Its OK, just bloody cold & doesnt want to be broken from its slumber like us All.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:06 am

Check your battery, if they aren't at 100% then the cold weather will bring on slower starts, and eventually a no start. Should start as normal after glow plug cycle unless in ridiculous cold weather temps, which the OP didn't report.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Samwich on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:17 am

Normally/ and after driving it will start up straight away after the glow cycle.
But first thing of a morning it defiantly struggles.

When startin in the -7 temp, It tried to kickover 3-4 times (Ran for 1 sec, then stalled) before actually starting. As soon as its running, there are no issues.
Samwich

Postby rogermtt on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:18 am

Triton has this notorious starting problem from cold engine. Even in my tropical country, Malaysia, my MN need at least 4-5 cranks for the engine to kick to life. Other like Hilux or Narvada just need one crank.
rogermtt

Postby TheSheepKed on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:26 pm

2013 MN - definitely notice it takes a couple ticks before it starts first thing in the morning. Not as bad as you described but it's definitely a noticeable difference compared to when it's warm.
How long is the glow plug light on the dashboard on for?
TheSheepKed

Postby OffRoadDave on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm pretty sure the light on the dash is just an indicator showing the minimum time you should wait before hitting the starter, the glow plugs stay on much longer than the light shows. Try just waiting another 5 seconds before turning the key.

If I'm not mistaken the glow plugs stay powered up until a preset water temp governed by the ECU, I'm pretty sure on my MN, I can hear the thump of the glow relay dropping out somewhere between 30-40deg water temp.
OffRoadDave

Postby TheSheepKed on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:56 pm

OffRoadDave wrote:I'm pretty sure the light on the dash is just an indicator showing the minimum time you should wait before hitting the starter, the glow plugs stay on much longer than the light shows. Try just waiting another 5 seconds before turning the key.

If I'm not mistaken the glow plugs stay powered up until a preset water temp governed by the ECU, I'm pretty sure on my MN, I can hear the thump of the glow relay dropping out somewhere between 30-40deg water temp.

Oh right so the coil light isn't actually representative of how long the glow plug is on for? So if I feel that the morning is a tad colder than normal, I can leave the key turned to the 'ON' switch for say, a minute, and then try starting?
TheSheepKed

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:55 pm

OffRoadDave wrote:I'm pretty sure the light on the dash is just an indicator showing the minimum time you should wait before hitting the starter, the glow plugs stay on much longer than the light shows. Try just waiting another 5 seconds before turning the key.

This is not my understanding of how it works.
Not saying he is wrong and i am right but i suggest you do more research.
The glow plugs would not be left burning as they will flatten a battery very fast
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby msrlo on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:57 pm

if you wait for about 10 seconds and listen for a clunk behind the glove box then it's glowed
msrlo

Postby OffRoadDave on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:12 pm

ag9111 wrote:

This is not my understanding of how it works.
Not saying he is wrong and i am right but i suggest you do more research.
The glow plugs would not be left burning as they will flatten a battery very fast

This is the info I'm going off. Specifically the info about 12-15v and 60 degrees or 180 seconds in the 2nd image. But you are right, in that the glow plugs are also cut off, if the engine doesn't start, but once the engine is running the plugs are turned on again until it meets the 60degrees or 180 seconds condition.

I've also added the info about the self regulating glow plugs they use.

Click to view larger picture

OffRoadDave

Postby TheSheepKed on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:32 pm

So would it make a difference to Samwich if he left the key in the "ON" position for longer before starting his car?
TheSheepKed

Postby strangeblue on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Mine is doing this too. Also blows a big cloud of white smoke when it does start and rumbles badly for about 3-5 seconds after it starts. I'm convinced there is a problem with the glow plugs and will get them checked when I get back home next week.
strangeblue

Postby TheSheepKed on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:45 pm

strangeblue wrote:Mine is doing this too. Also blows a big cloud of white smoke when it does start and rumbles badly for about 3-5 seconds after it starts. I'm convinced there is a problem with the glow plugs and will get them checked when I get back home next week.

Might just be steam from condensation if it's in the morning?
TheSheepKed

Postby docta.phipps on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:46 pm

strangeblue wrote:Mine is doing this too. Also blows a big cloud of white smoke when it does start and rumbles badly for about 3-5 seconds after it starts. I'm convinced there is a problem with the glow plugs and will get them checked when I get back home next week.

Same. Not every day but maybe once a fortnight.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
docta.phipps

Postby strangeblue on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:48 pm

TheSheepKed wrote:

Might just be steam from condensation if it's in the morning?

Nah it looks and smells like unburnt diesel which makes sense if the plugs aren't working properly...
strangeblue

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:04 am

Might have a faulty relay or fuse?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:30 am

I'd be getting glowplugs checked... My MN starts easily no matter how cold it is.. Glow light on dash illuminates for a bit longer on really cold mornings but as long as you wait for the light to go off it starts first pop.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Samwich on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:40 am

Doesn't matter how long I wait after the light goes off, same time frame for start.
Mostly noticed it when it took 5mins to start up the mountains in the morning, where as a lux and Colorado started instantly.
Samwich

Postby OffRoadDave on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:19 am

In that case it's definitely a problem with the glow system then, it's pretty simple to check if it's working or not if you have a multi-meter.

You can check the voltage at the plugs themselves while someone turns on the key, this will tell you whether the glow plug circuit is working. If you don't get power at the plugs, work back from there looking for the fault (glow plug relay would be my bet).

If the voltage is as expected, you can then check the resistance of each glow plug to ground by removing the bus bar connected to the top of it.

If this is all to complicated, take it to a mechanic and get your wallet ready.
OffRoadDave

Postby davros on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:24 am

Samwich wrote:Doesn't matter how long I wait after the light goes off, same time frame for start.
Mostly noticed it when it took 5mins to start up the mountains in the morning, where as a lux and Colorado started instantly.

Were the other 2 running alpine diesel? Your fuel might have been waxing slightly if you were at a decent altitude, a motor will still start without glow plugs, just takes more cranks for the compressed air to heat things up
MY09 GLX-R 3.2
davros

Postby TheSheepKed on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:39 am

Samwich wrote:Doesn't matter how long I wait after the light goes off, same time frame for start.

When you say instantly, did it take a couple of seconds for their cars to start on the first go or was it instantaneous from the second the driver turned the key?
TheSheepKed

Postby L200Shogun on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:08 pm

It is a diesel it will never be an "instantaneous" event when cold.
L200Shogun

Next

Return to Drive Train Components