wind noise at over 80 kph

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

wind noise at over 80 kph

Postby jeffy on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:59 pm

hi guys .. first time user .. need a bit of help if you can advise ... have an 08 triton with tjm fitted canopy, bullbar and winch - when i get to 80 kph and over, i get a whistling wind noise which is quite apparent to me but not to visitors to the vehicle eg wife etc .. it drives me nuts - the only brand new vehicle i've ever had and ITS NOT PERFECT - and it should be ... does anyone have any ideas on what it may be ??

signed

desperate ....
jeffy

Re: wind noise at over 80 kph

Postby rick on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:49 pm

you do get a noise from the mirrors anyway jeff,but it could be anything and everything you have added mate?????
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Postby subi_man on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:54 pm

you got a perspex bonnet protector? often a culprit
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby MR T on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:22 pm

do you have rino roof racks :?: as i know they make a whisteling noise
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby mad992 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:39 pm

i dont think its the mirrors look at the outside and see the three fins they help cut out wind noise ,when they developed the shape of the ml triton it spent countless hrs testing in the wind tunnel and i think personally our trucks have very good noise vibration and harshness(nvh),ive had 3 new cars, holdens,mazdas,this is my second mitsu and i think the wind noise starts at around 130klm but believe me its nothing compared to other makes ...hey its gotta b something you have put on like roof racks bonnet protector etc,etc .anyways hope you find it cause f_ck its so annoying my mazda tribute whistled so much i sold it :)
mad992

Postby slimv6 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:55 pm

I've got 2.

one happens on the rear door. were the seams are welded above the window, stealer put silicone there to try and stop it but well...

the other ont happens when travelling over 100kph and a wind from the side comes along. seems like the rubbers on the driver / RHS door don't seal too perfectly and it makes a colossal noise, something like a great big screeching tyre. It's not something I can show the dealer, but you do sh!t yourself when you hear it the first time.

made in thailand. china, but different...
I'm not as thunk as you drink I am. ;)
slimv6

Postby fonz on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:13 pm

a snorkel will make a new noise - but u get use to it.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.
fonz

Postby jeffy on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:04 am

people - lost my password but have found it again and have just read the replys. Many thanks for your advice - i will keep on looking and changing things here and there. thank god i dont own a mazda ... Jeffrey
jeffy

Postby Blue on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:20 am

No noises on mine up to about 145, then wind noise comes on like a freight train... Bar, UHF antenna and snorkle the only external accessories...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:14 am

Blue wrote:No noises on mine up to about 145, then wind noise comes on like a freight train... Bar, UHF antenna and snorkle the only external accessories...

and the wife on the roof?!
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Blue on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:26 am

subi_man wrote:
Blue wrote:No noises on mine up to about 145, then wind noise comes on like a freight train... Bar, UHF antenna and snorkle the only external accessories...

and the wife on the roof?!

Nah mate, she bangs on the roof and gives me the shits - only place for her is under the hard cover... :lol:
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Buzzy on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:15 am

Thats funny Tex, I dont here anything with mine :?
I can only just here the full Rhino rack when I have it on......... might be industrial deafness though :shock:
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:17 am

Or maybe Im used to it as well :lol:
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Return to Drive Train Components