Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Re: Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Postby snowman on Tue May 31, 2011 5:08 pm

FFS you turkeys, this isn't ALL about performance. There ARE other factors.

Homer wrote:...don't go the rear locker option if you intend to go hard off road.

This is where i think you make an incorrect statement. you are correct in that many people read this and use the forum to make decisions.

You are scaring people away from one of the best $700 traction aides available on a new car.

and THAT is WRONG.

There is NO DOUBT that a front locker IS performing better than a rear locker. But it does not have warranty and it could effect resale due to people being put off by it's 'off road' stigma.

It is not all about performance. :evil:

I have always maintained that the rear locker is a great option for most people buying the vehicle. IF that proves to not be enough (but in most cases it will) then go and get the front locked. There are PLENTY of people on here whom the rear locker is perfectly acceptable without the need for a front locker.

Sheeesh. :roll:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Tue May 31, 2011 5:11 pm

Homer said:

"The front DL would 100% be the way to go IF you know for sure it doesn't trouble the T/C.

If the front locker is usable with traction control then the rear locker is not the option to get as it is $700+ spent for an option that wont work very well unless you can trick the T/C into staying ON when the button is pushed.

If the electronic modification/intercept to trick the TC into staying on when the rear locker is activated is very cheap and easy, then it wouldn't matter and would be a very good option - if not then...don't go the rear locker option if you intend to go hard off road."

Thanks Homer this is what im driving at.

If you want to go hard core get the rear d/l and be prepared to get the front d/l or just forget the whole exercise..
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby Joe on Tue May 31, 2011 5:40 pm

mattnewbie wrote:If you want to go hard core get the rear d/l and be prepared to get the front d/l or just forget the whole exercise..

Exactly.

As Homer says, I was firmly in the rear DL camp until I had my front Lokka installed :mrgreen: . Honestly, the difference is chalk and cheese. I'm actually looking forward to getting out to LCMP in the near future and doing some serious testing to see just how much further the front lokka will get me.

With the advantage of hindsight, would I have optioned a rear DL? Yes... provided I didn't have to wait for it. It is still one of the best value for money options you can get on a Triton, but if I could have what I wanted immediately minus rear DL I would take it and get a front air locker later (no good getting a white one when you wanted a green one :lol: ).

I don't understand why nobody wanted to drive Bruce front locked at City View, but this is the only way to understand the advantage the front DL has over a rear only locked Triton. It really is chalk and cheese. Take the challenge and drive one.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby jop on Tue May 31, 2011 5:50 pm

Bruce is a biatch

Why drive a hill in someone elses truck that you just drove in yours? ;)
jop

Postby Naff on Tue May 31, 2011 5:50 pm

I've only used my locker once but it was up a hill I knew a lot have struggled before. I couldn't have used any less effort if I tried. I'll be looking forward to a thorough test day :)
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Tue May 31, 2011 6:31 pm

LOOK!!!!

You blokes are simply taking this off track now :evil: I have been watching the new 4wdaction DVD and my mate ROOTHY says if its not a live axle 40 or 60 series Toyota truck with front and rear lockers.....forget it!!! Simple as that.....you are kidding yourself otherwise.

His mate Don gets stuck in a boggy mudhole halway up a hill at Coff's.......now it wasnt the fact that Don cant drive for shite or Roothy's crappy guiding of him up the hill........no no no. It was the Prado's fault wasnt it!!! ;)

Its 4wdaction............so it must be true!!! :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Joe on Tue May 31, 2011 7:00 pm

:lol: :lol:

And here I am getting a complex when all along it's the bloody Triton's fault :lol:
Dad
----
Joe

Postby Mattstruck on Tue May 31, 2011 7:50 pm

al coholic wrote:LOOK!!!!

You blokes are simply taking this off track now :evil: I have been watching the new 4wdaction DVD and my mate ROOTHY says if its not a live axle 40 or 60 series Toyota truck with front and rear lockers.....forget it!!! Simple as that.....you are kidding yourself otherwise.

His mate Don gets stuck in a boggy mudhole halway up a hill at Coff's.......now it wasnt the fact that Don cant drive for shite or Roothy's crappy guiding of him up the hill........no no no. It was the Prado's fault wasnt it!!! ;)

Its 4wdaction............so it must be true!!! :lol:

Seems you mate and mine, Roothy, has a price! ;)
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby daryn on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:36 pm

From http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=66
Q7. Which end should I fit first? (if buying one)

This is dependent on the vehicle, its existing diff types, the type of suspension system and the model availability. However the front is usually the first choice.
a. If the vehicle is an IFS (Independent Front Suspension) model then the front fitment will result in the greatest increase in 4WD ability. This is because all IFS vehicles have very limited suspension movement (hence limited wheel travel and articulation) resulting in easily lifted wheels and total loss of front traction. Fitting a LOKKA to the front will solve this serious deficiency. (Pajero, Isuzu, 4Runner, B2600 etc)

b. If a vehicle has a good quality LSD in the rear, then a front fitment will obviously provide the best total traction ie one locker and one LSD is better than one locker and one standard diff. (GQ)

c. If a vehicle has a poor quality LSD then the issue becomes less clear and personal preference or ease of installation often become the more important criteria. However one LSD and one locker is still a better choice - if that is possible. (Landcruiser, Hilux, F100/150)

d. If the vehicle is a constant 4WD then a rear fitment is the easiest and best solution (Landcruiser 80,100 series etc)

e. A front fitment will actually yield the greatest improvement in off road ability. This is because, most vehicles require the increase in traction (that a locker gives) when hill climbing. Under hill climbing conditions, due to the angle of the vehicle, the rear wheels are carrying a much greater weight (weight transfer) and the front wheels are therefore carrying a lessor weight and tend to break traction very easily. Once one front wheel starts to spin, the other front wheel stops turning and the whole front diff ceases to provide traction. At this point all load is transferred onto the rear as if it were a 2WD and due to the increased load the rear wheels are encouraged to spin and the vehicle stops.
If you can solve the problem of the front wheels spinning, you have solved the traction problem. Another advantage is that on road there are no changes to normal driving characteristics at all.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby toyota man on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:48 pm

anyone had the standard locker fitted by mitts or do they even fit it to a used ute?
toyota man

Postby Mooons on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:52 pm

When I asked I was told it was a compleat diff swap not just a locker install
and to go after market
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Postby fridgie on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:00 pm

toyota man wrote:anyone had the standard locker fitted by mitts or do they even fit it to a used ute?

Don't know if mits would actually do this and if they did I'm sure you'd have to sign over your house, organs and first born to be able to pay for it ;) :lol:

A front 'lokka' would be a better option price wise and seems to work well, otherwise there are the ARB options which can also give you the onboard air for tyre inflation but they are reasonably pricey (isn't everything they sell :roll: )
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Mattstruck on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:07 pm

RIGHTO then..

ARB front locker group buy then...

So, who knows someone who knows someone at ARB (apart from me)? :roll:
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:17 pm

i have been told the triton/pajero front E'locker is only about a month away.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Whats that about? No compressor? Pricing? :?
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:23 pm

Mattstruck wrote:Whats that about? No compressor? Pricing? :?

http://www.oppositelock.com.au/index.php?action=prodcatalogue&form_name=view_product&category_id=382&product_id=2944&pageID=10062&sectionID=0

this will probably start a debate as well. the only thing you can't argue is that you only need to find a location for one switch on the dash.

They are not cheaper and you don't get a compressor.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:02 pm

mmmm ARB still looks good....
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

Postby Mattstruck on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:21 pm

TAKE NOTE:
Guru Steane has spoken from the temple:

This will end all debate. Mods may now lock this thread :lol:

The Triton owners code

If you have the rear LSD in an ML then never admit it's not as good as the rear locker. It's better and you know it. If someone tells you differently then feel compelled to correct them. They'll most likely be an ignorant prick anyway.

If you have a rear locked ML, then just remember that it only cost $700 so it doesn't matter if the front locker is better although it will crap you off immensely. Just be grateful you didn't get the LSD. Although if you did get the LSD it would of course be better than the rear locker and you'd have saved $700... So you are screwed either way you look at it.

If you have TC, then it's always better than a locker because you weren't smart enough to tick that option.

If you have TC and a locker, then you'll never work out which is best, but it doesn't matter because you have both. You'll talk lovingly about the TC while trying to work out how to disconnect the stupid thing.

If you have a rear LSD and a front locker, then you know it would have been better if you spent the $700 on a rear locker as well, but you'd immediately remind yourself that the LSD is superior (don't forget this!), and costs $700 less.

If you have a front and rear locker then everyone else can go get stuffed.
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

Postby Joe on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:33 pm

snowman wrote:

http://www.oppositelock.com.au/index.php?action=prodcatalogue&form_name=view_product&category_id=382&product_id=2944&pageID=10062&sectionID=0

this will probably start a debate as well. the only thing you can't argue is that you only need to find a location for one switch on the dash.

But they're not ARB either 8-) :mrgreen:

Have you had any prices for installation yet snowy?
Dad
----
Joe

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:40 pm

Joe wrote:
snowman wrote:

But they're not ARB either 8-) :mrgreen:

Have you had any prices for installation yet snowy?

No.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Postby motoz on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:43 pm

Mattstruck wrote:TAKE NOTE:
Guru Steane has spoken from the temple:

This will end all debate. Mods may now lock this thread :lol:

The Triton owners code

If you have the rear LSD in an ML then never admit it's not as good as the rear locker. It's better and you know it. If someone tells you differently then feel compelled to correct them. They'll most likely be an ignorant prick anyway.

If you have a rear locked ML, then just remember that it only cost $700 so it doesn't matter if the front locker is better although it will crap you off immensely. Just be grateful you didn't get the LSD. Although if you did get the LSD it would of course be better than the rear locker and you'd have saved $700... So you are screwed either way you look at it.

If you have TC, then it's always better than a locker because you weren't smart enough to tick that option.

If you have TC and a locker, then you'll never work out which is best, but it doesn't matter because you have both. You'll talk lovingly about the TC while trying to work out how to disconnect the stupid thing.

If you have a rear LSD and a front locker, then you know it would have been better if you spent the $700 on a rear locker as well, but you'd immediately remind yourself that the LSD is superior (don't forget this!), and costs $700 less.

If you have a front and rear locker then everyone else can go get stuffed.

Click to view larger picture

Pure posting gold !!!

;)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Click to view larger picturesteane.........
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:23 pm

:lol: :lol:
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

Postby Mattstruck on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:52 pm

Well im glad I got it (rear DL). I say - always tick the box.

You dont loose traction Control when you get it, only when you enable it ;)

Contrary to what you may read on here the MN traction Control is QUICK and EFFECTIVE.

I tested it on some trails in the High Country (in SS none the less) and it performed beautifully.

The DL was nicer to use on the rocky climbs but the TC would get you to exactly the same places.

In the mud it makes no difference I have found. DL is probally worse as the front end is left open (TC off).

On a rocky climb though.... The rear DL is very nice. Couldnt go any slower if I wanted and it felt stable and solid. Very nice. Also good for engine braking down hill in same conditions. :)
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components