problems shifting gears

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

problems shifting gears

Postby tritonmal on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:27 pm

hmmm.... just done 15000k .... mine 1st to 2nd stiff like all s!*#... particulary when cold.... happens sometimes when box is hot/ warmed up.... also seams like there is back lash going into 3rd - leaver seams to want to jump back to neutral.... had a bit of a lock out/ grind going 2nd to first today.....willing to put up with it at the moment... if it gets worse it will be a new box thank you mr mitsubishi warrenty.... 3rd to 2nd is ok.... only doing slow changes...

problems????

suggestions...???
:?
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Re: problems shifting gears

Postby renotriton on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:48 am

I seem to remember someone having a similar problem and the fix was thinner gearbox oil :) try a serach on here.
Mention it to Mitsi on your service and they should fix this. Apparently it comes shipped with thicker oil :o
renotriton

problems shifting gears

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:00 am

This is a common problem and there are a couple of threads dealing with it already. There's a link in my sig below to a search tutorial try it and see what you can dig up.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby leadingedge on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:41 pm

I also have the same problem with my 2009 Triton, it does exactly what you describe. Also if I stop and need to put it into first quickly I will get a little thunk. It is very worrying to me and as usual the dealers just seem to find excuses! Please let us know if you come right.
leadingedge

Postby tritonmal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:02 pm

hi guys... guess what still have good old gearbox probs....
nm 2010 triton tray diesel 4wd manual
1st to 2nd notchy / clunky / tight / has its own mind to go or not.... usually have to hook it through the nuteral position
2nd to 3rd notchy / clunky.... lots of back preassure on leaver at times....
usually 2nd to first is only do-able when stationary and verry notchy / clunky / tight....

also

easy select 4wd.... into 4wd goes but drops in quicker when accelerating same when comming out of 4wd...

any ideas???

and
question 1: can i get a super select box in and will it void warranty???
question 2: random power loss... drops to 400-700 rpm under acceleration for about 2 /4 secs then picks up... ideas?
thanks
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

problems shifting gears

Postby mattz on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:06 pm

Have you tried running a different gear box oil?
As far as the power loss goes.......what revs is it doing it at and have you read up on carbon build up?
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

problems shifting gears

Postby tritonmal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Does it about 1200 to say about 2000 revs is power drop.
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

problems shifting gears

Postby tritonmal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Now news yet from stealership. Going in tomorrow for a wee look see. Probably Same old story. We'll look into it and have a go at fixing it before replacing it. Blah blah blah. [censored] me it's under warranty. Just replace the [censored] of a thing. I think I was better off spending another 2.5k for a new landy defender....
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

problems shifting gears

Postby tritonmal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Oh sorry I forgot to add stealership tried engine oil (?) as a replacement= no improvement and have already replaced synchro hubs and rings on 1st and 2nd. Aka see my previous post. Ha!
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

problems shifting gears

Postby Mooons on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Triple post :lol:
Your on a roll
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritonmal on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:46 pm

hi guys... guess what still have good old gearbox probs....
nm 2010 triton tray diesel 4wd manual
1st to 2nd notchy / clunky / tight / has its own mind to go or not.... usually have to hook it through the nuteral position
2nd to 3rd notchy / clunky.... lots of back preassure on leaver at times....
usually 2nd to first is only do-able when stationary and verry notchy / clunky / tight....

also

easy select 4wd.... into 4wd goes but drops in quicker when accelerating same when comming out of 4wd...

any ideas???

and
question 1: can i get a super select box in and will it void warranty???
question 2: random power loss... drops to 400-700 rpm under acceleration at between 1200-1800 rpm for about 2 /4 secs then picks up... ideas? carbon buildup in the intake manifold???
thanks
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:13 pm

Double posts 23 hours apart. :o

Mal this has come up lots of times. Try a search. It's not a Ferrari, mate. This is a light truck and the gearbox is built for strength, not racing changes.

That said, the Triton gearbox is a little notchy. Mine has loosened up a little after 35,000km but still essentially the same. As already suggested, different oil sometimes helps but a lot of the time it's a technique thing. Double clutch up if necessary and double de-clutch down. Match your revs.

I'm sure that Mitsubishi had a reason for recommending that changes in and out of 4WD be made with foot off the accelerator. I've had four vehicles with this engine/gearbox combination and never really had a problem. The ML/MN Triton is a little notchier but not excessively so. Try to drive another one that is of similar age and spec. If there's a big difference then go talk to your dealer.

Can you get a Super Select box? Sure, and if you can get a dealer to fit it then it will be covered under warranty. It won't solve your problem with the gear changes though. The actual gearbox is exactly the same.

Your power loss problem sound a bit like carbon buildup. You need to talk to your dealer about this.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

problems shifting gears

Postby tritonmal on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks. Tried searching. Either I'm dumb or can't work the search system.
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

problems shifting gears

Postby tritonmal on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks. Tried searching. Either I'm dumb or can't work the search system.
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

problems shifting gears

Postby tritonmal on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:39 pm

News from afar... Apparently I have the new manifold... So why I'm getting power loss I don't know. Ecu software upgrade perhaps. ......

Stealership thinks gearbox probs are related to clutch pressure plate not releasing the load on the gear box fully and making shifts hard. So they've aggreed to swap in a new pressure plate. :-) and go from there.

4wd operation on the easy select is apparently normal (????)
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritonmal on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:12 am

well.... today is the day the gear box probs is gonna be fixed by the local stealership..... will let you know how it goes when i pick vehicle up........
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:18 am

Good luck!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritonmal on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:16 am

big_bob_thefirst wrote:Good luck!
well.... picked the ute up from the stealership.... 45000 k service done.... new clutch pressure plate replaced under warranty :P .... seams the old one wasnt releasing fully thus taking all the load of the gearbox thus making it hard to change gears :o ... all gear movements seam satisfactory.... can now get it from 2nd to first without having to stop.... peddle has better feel to it and is slightly heavier.... i'll let you guys know what happens in the future..... :D
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:18 am

Sounds like a good outcome!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritonmal on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:20 am

yea next up some decent oil..... engine box transfer and diffs....
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:23 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Double posts 23 hours apart. :o

Mal this has come up lots of times. Try a search. It's not a Ferrari, mate. This is a light truck and the gearbox is built for strength, not racing changes.

That said, the Triton gearbox is a little notchy. Mine has loosened up a little after 35,000km but still essentially the same. As already suggested, different oil sometimes helps but a lot of the time it's a technique thing. Double clutch up if necessary and double de-clutch down. Match your revs.

I'm sure that Mitsubishi had a reason for recommending that changes in and out of 4WD be made with foot off the accelerator. I've had four vehicles with this engine/gearbox combination and never really had a problem. The ML/MN Triton is a little notchier but not excessively so. Try to drive another one that is of similar age and spec. If there's a big difference then go talk to your dealer.

Can you get a Super Select box? Sure, and if you can get a dealer to fit it then it will be covered under warranty. It won't solve your problem with the gear changes though. The actual gearbox is exactly the same.

Your power loss problem sound a bit like carbon buildup. You need to talk to your dealer about this.

Second that
viking shippy

Postby Mitstech2936 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Just a little something to look out for with the aisin gearbox
Hard downshifting/ hard to select from 4th to 3rd and 2nd is a common problem and mitsubishi has a bulletin currently out for it... The case hardening of the sychros goes to s*%t and will make it gradually get worse to select gears, this will require a trip to ur Mitsubishi dealer and it can be fixed under warranty, (just completed my millionth rebuild this week) the most common link I have found with this problem is 1. Drivers who rest there hand on the shifter. And 2. When driving offroad and getting bogged the old trick of goin r-1st r-1st to get vehicle momentum up to get out of the bog tends to obliterate the teeth on the reverse idler gear bathing the synchros in metal fragments causing gearbox failure, this isn't uncommon as were doing a gearbox rebuild basically weekly now
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

WIN IT OR BIN IT...... NOBODY REMEMBERS WHO CAME SECOND!!
Mitstech2936

Postby srb on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Mitstech2936 wrote:Just a little something to look out for with the aisin gearbox
Hard downshifting/ hard to select from 4th to 3rd and 2nd is a common problem and mitsubishi has a bulletin currently out for it... The case hardening of the sychros goes to s*%t and will make it gradually get worse to select gears, this will require a trip to ur Mitsubishi dealer and it can be fixed under warranty, (just completed my millionth rebuild this week) the most common link I have found with this problem is 1. Drivers who rest there hand on the shifter. And 2. When driving offroad and getting bogged the old trick of goin r-1st r-1st to get vehicle momentum up to get out of the bog tends to obliterate the teeth on the reverse idler gear bathing the synchros in metal fragments causing gearbox failure, this isn't uncommon as were doing a gearbox rebuild basically weekly now

Ahhh so this explains why only after 15,000 my gearbox oil was sooo putrid and littered with glitter :lol: :shock::shock: Ive never had any problems with my gearbox but after reading lots about shifting problems I decided I should change my oil real quick. Couldn't believe the poor state of the oil when it came out :shock: I kept a sample of it just in case. :-? I'm by no means hard on my gearbox... I always double shuffle mostly out of habit but helps when its cold in the morning and it's a bit baulky to change down gears. :roll: Anyways do you know if its revised syncro's that you're putting in or will they just shit em selfs the same? :(
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mitstech2936 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:45 am

At this point they have recognized there is a problem, they are still suppling oem parts but heard yesterday that they are in the process of sorting out a revised synchro for 2-3 cluster and a revised reverse idler :D
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

WIN IT OR BIN IT...... NOBODY REMEMBERS WHO CAME SECOND!!
Mitstech2936

Postby tritonmal on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:32 am

hmmm ... always thought there was probs with this box and the stealership werent letting on.... oh well... i give it a go for a while and see what happens but if the probs re develop or continue, back to the stealership i go and i blow up at them.... and yes i know its not a blinking ferrrari.... but i dont expect to have to fight the gear leaver with sometimes 2 hands in a 45000k 2 year old truck either!
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Drive Train Components