Triton Brake Upgrades - Rotors and Calipers

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: MN Caliper upgrade

Postby headake on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 pm

just so you know magna exc, magna VXR and 380 had different calipers.

used to be part of aussie magna with mine, and the boys hunt high and low for the 380 brake up grade.
I MAKE KIDS CRY
headake

Postby SIVART on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:46 am

magna are alot smaller ,

the 380 caliper eyebolt part number is the same as the MN triton

now just to measure up both , and if all goes well test it out

if you need to change lines etc to , the full kit would set up back from $500 to $550 - with pads add another $180 to $220

here is a scan of the capliper
Click to view larger picture
CC Lancer GSR Evo II
AC Cordia GSR
KF Verada Xi
Wants a Triton MN
SIVART

Postby SIVART on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:44 am

it just wont fit , it almost fits ...lol , it will need a bracket made to suite

Click to view larger picture
CC Lancer GSR Evo II
AC Cordia GSR
KF Verada Xi
Wants a Triton MN
SIVART

Postby fraz91 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:49 pm

which caliper is that one you've tried?

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby SIVART on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:55 pm

:lol:

I like cable ties

found the pajero caliper bolt holes to be way off also

but taking to some race guys and there running some cnc machined brackets , some Im doing some more research
CC Lancer GSR Evo II
AC Cordia GSR
KF Verada Xi
Wants a Triton MN
SIVART

Postby hewy hacket on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Quick question, does anyone Know if these caliper changes will affect how the ABS performs? Had a NT Pajero before i got the Triton and definately notice the difference in braking. Would love to have discs on the rear of the Triton.
The grass is only greener where you water it.
hewy hacket

Postby SIVART on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:17 am

if shouldn't affect the ABS as the abs ring should remain the same

I was looking at the PB challenger as it has rear discs also , and its a base of the MN Triton so it should be a easy fit , but I will have to do some research because there are some differences with bios valves etc
CC Lancer GSR Evo II
AC Cordia GSR
KF Verada Xi
Wants a Triton MN
SIVART

Brake Upgrades for Triton

Postby headshok on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:30 am

hi guys,

just curious, what kind of brake upgrade kits are there for tritons?

I'm talking to monstertriton philip over in thailand and he's offering brembos and APIs.

But the problem is that, i need to upsize my rims which is not an option as i'll fail my annual inspection ( we're not allowed to change our rims for commercial vehicles here). So i have to be able to slap on my stock rims and drive down to the inspection centre.

I'm looking at the disc and pad upgrade from ultimate, but just want to see what else is there out there that will be able to fit the stock triton 16" rims.

Thanks in advance guys

Cheers!
headshok

Re: Brake Upgrades for Triton

Postby fraz91 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:08 am

Honestly, the disc and pad upgrade from ultimate is MORE than enough. I'm yet to run it on my vehicle, but I've driven a few that have had it fitted and the difference is phenomenal. If you want better braking performance out of the standard gear, have a look at getting some Braided Brake lines, as these make a huge difference on their own.

The factory rubber brake lines tend to expand and you lose pedal feel due to the length of the standard lines. Braided brake lines are made from a flexible stainless steel wrap, and won't expand under heavy braking. This means that when your foot hits the floor, it really does apply all the braking pressure it can muster.

fraz91

Postby headshok on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:14 am

hi fraz!

Thanks for the info man!

I'm just a bit paranoid :)

My truck is chipped up with the monster industry piggy back and its a beast.

i loaded up my truck with some of my goods and couldnt really stop properly, that got me really worried.

Anyway, hey fraz, you're part of the ultimate team rite? I'm waiting on brendan to get back to me on a suspension quote :(

But thanks for the help again man :)

If my finances are good, i'll just go ahead and get the pads/ disc/ braided lines all together!

Cheers mate!
headshok

Postby fraz91 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:29 am

Alright, no hassles. I'll get onto him about it today and let him know about the braided lines and brake upgrades as well.

Cheers

fraz91

Postby ultimate on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:10 am

You have to love technology :roll: PM sent through here as the ones through aren't working.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Sky Miner on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:38 am

Braided brakes lines 'eh' hmmm
DAMN THIS SITE!!! now i have to get some :lol: :lol: :D
Sent GT-I9100
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby daryn on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:54 am

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6927&hilit=brake+performance

The above URL will take you to a specific Poor Brake Performance thread which will give you plenty of reading and suggestions.

This thread may get merged depending on direction of discussion.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby MilkmanDan on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Thread revival.

So has anyone gotten anywhere with this? Would be good to see if can use the later Pajero 2 piston fronts, seeing as the GLXR uses Pajero wheels diameter wise would fit, maybe even offset correct too.
MilkmanDan

Postby mitzikatzi on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:06 pm

I f i was after a brake upgrade I would consider asking Hoppers Stoppers.
mitzikatzi

Which slotted rotors for upgrade?

Postby AussieAnth on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Having had drilled & slotted rotors + Bendix HD pads on my old 4x4, and experiencing the difference under full braking with a heavy load, I'm keen to upgrade the braking on the MN Triton.

Im having trouble deciphering the various DBA & RDA rotors out there and hope to get some knowledgeable advice. I understand the benefits of slotted rotors. I assume drilled dimples do a similar job. Is one better than the other???

Bit confused if the DBA "4x4 Survival 4000 series", with kangaroo slots only, are better for 4x4 use than the DBA Heavy Duty 4000 series with kangaroo slots & drilled dimples.

So far, my options so far are:

1) DBA 42208 XS Front X-Drilled Slotted Rotors x 2 Mitsubishi Triton ML MN - $275
According to the DBA website, they're both 4wd & Street suitable.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DBA-42208-XS-Front-X-Drilled-Slotted-Rotors-x-2-Mitsubishi-Triton-ML-MN-MM-2-4WD-/331111169735?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d17c37ec7

2) DBA 4X4 SURVIVAL BRAKE ROTORS Mitsubishi Triton ML DBA2208S T2 SLOTTED PAIR - $315
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DBA-4X4-SURVIVAL-BRAKE-ROTORS-Mitsubishi-Triton-ML-DBA2208S-T2-SLOTTED-PAIR-/360784691421?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item54007180dd

3) RDA Mitsubishi Triton MN KA KB FRONT Disc Brake Rotors Drilled & Slotted RDA7975D - $203
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191010697491

Thoughts, experiences, opinions, known differences?
MY13 GLX Plus pack dual cab Triton.

My MN & ML Triton WORKSHOP MANUAL page on DropBox. Take a look.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmyqr05gb8c8hgv/eKE4W216Dj

FORUM DIRECTORY
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8230
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Which slotted rotors for upgrade?

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:43 pm

I have merged a number of threads into this one which now deals with what can be done, in terms of hardware, to improve the brakes on the Triton.

Note that there are separate threads dealing with poor performance and specific threads in the Group Buy and Ultimate Suspension sponsor area which also deal with specific solutions to the problem and some of the information in those threads crosses over with that in this thread, which is more general in nature.

I understand that Anth actually did use the Search function before starting the thread in the post above. The lesson in his mistake was that restricting the search to a specific area of the forum gave very few results. The answers to his questions are, if not above, then in these threads, here and here.

A little more, wider searching on Google, found this on the DBA web site:

When replacing an essential performance and safety component on your vehicle like your brake rotors, it’s important have all the facts at your fingertips.

Knowing the performance and ventilation differences between slotted and cross drilled rotors will help you make the right decision about which disc brakes suit your needs.

Every time you engage your brakes, gas and debris collect between the brake pads and rotors. Over time the build up can cause your disc brakes to overheat, warp and even crack. To expel the built up debris and gas rotors come in slotted and cross drilled designs to give you a safety and performance advantage.

The decision as to whether your discs should be slotted or cross drilled depends on the vehicle use, performance aspirations and vehicle style.

“If your brakes are working hard for their money and you want nothing but the best, invest in T3 slotted rotors. If you’re looking to complete that show car look, but still want the street performance and safety advantage, go for the cross-drilled rotors, ” said Martin Peart, Director of Sales at DBA.

If you drive hard, race or use your vehicle off-road or for towing purposes, DBA recommend installing slotted rotors, as the surface grooves make for cleaner rotors and effectively reduce overheating in demanding conditions.

DBA’s top of the range T3 slotted disc brakes offer greater pad bite for improved stopping performance, and the peace of mind that comes with purchasing a quality Australian made product. The T3 range is designed to handle harsher conditions and have been installed in every Australian V8 Ute race car, a testament to their quality and performance.

Any auto enthusiasts looking for a high performance looking disc brake to improve the aesthetics of their car should opt for cross-drilled rotors. Put simply, they look sharp and perform well. These will look the part on street cars or show cars.

“Performance disc brakes are cheaper than ever as competition in the market has driven down prices. The concerning fact is that many people are looking overseas for a lower price over a quality product where their safety is concerned.”

“You can’t put a price on your life, so if you’re driving hard, invest in top quality Australian disc brakes.”

It seems fairly clear from this statement, by the manufacturer, that slotted rotors are the way to go, while drilled rotors don't do much but cater for those who are more concerned with how their brakes look.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Triton Brake Upgrades - Rotors and Calipers

Postby MilkmanDan on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:27 pm

I have to agree, my old SS ute I tried slotted/cross drilled with various pads and the winning combo was slotted with Formula Ferodo TS2500 pads.

As for the upgrades I have to find a wrecker so I can have a look at the differences between the late model Pajero strut to our tritons. I have access to a plasma cutter and other things I may need if I go ahead with this. Will keep updated
MilkmanDan

Postby ultimate on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:22 am

In my opinion the DBA T3 (4000 series) rotors are one of the best options available for the Triton. These rotors go through an extra heat treatment process which makes them a lot stronger and resist warping. We are distributors of DBA rotors and I have updated the group buy thread with the new pricing and information- viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7194&p=127719#p127719

If upgrading the pads and rotors, I highly recommend doing the brake lines at the same time. The original brake lines on the Triton are very long and produce a very spongy pedal. Going to braided brake lines further improves the brake performance and pedal feel.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby srb on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:44 am

Yep the braided brake lines for me made a good noticeable difference. ;-)
I haven't got the DBA rotors yet because I haven't found I needed them. I'll wait till I wear out the factory rotors before changing to the DBA's. ;-)
But yeah I would recommend doing the lines as well if considering upgrading rotors.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AussieAnth on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:42 pm

ultimate wrote:In my opinion the DBA T3 (4000 series) rotors are one of the best options available for the Triton. These rotors go through an extra heat treatment process which makes them a lot stronger and resist warping. We are distributors of DBA rotors and I have updated the group buy thread with the new pricing and information- viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7194&p=127719#p127719

I have set my sights on the DBA "4x4 Survival Series" 4000 T3 rotors, but was having trouble finding them online or somewhere that actually stocks them without a "special order".

My research points me towards slotted only, no drilled or dimpled for proper off road use. I think holes & dimples hold dirt/mud/sand where as slots will self clear better.
http://www.dba.com.au/products/4x4-survival-series/

They look suspiciously similar to the Road & Race Series 4000 T3 rotors.
http://www.dba.com.au/products/clubspec-t/4000-t3/

Quick call to DBA Australia, and the lady confirmed they are the same rotor, just packaged differently for different markets. MUCH easier to find in stock or online. Thats what I'll be fitting, plus Bendix heavy duty pads.
MY13 GLX Plus pack dual cab Triton.

My MN & ML Triton WORKSHOP MANUAL page on DropBox. Take a look.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmyqr05gb8c8hgv/eKE4W216Dj

FORUM DIRECTORY
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8230
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cookoy on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Anyone tried t fit the rear drum/disc braking system from the 2012 montero sport/ sportero on a triton? I am currently parting out a montero sport and i have the parts lying around
cookoy

Postby sherriff07 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi guys new to the Web. I have ml triton and as we know the brakes are'nt the best!
If you won't to make it stop a twin diafram Toyota camera booster bolts straight in
The master cylinder will bolt straight on, the difference is like chalk and cheese
One of the best mods I have done. Will do a profile on my car soonwas to
sherriff07

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Is that a toyota camry to do you mean? And could you be more specific as to the year model and any other details? Part number would be even better. I'd suspect a few might be interested in this but no one will want to buy more than one brake booster on the journey to sussing out if it will all work.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components