2010 GLXR - Cant change down to third gear!!

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

2010 GLXR - Cant change down to third gear!!

Postby Dan13 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Just before I took my 2010 GLXR in for its 30,000km service last month the gear box started getting sticky. Then it progressed to the point where I can't change down from 4th or 5th back into third.

Its going in to Mitsubishi next week and there going to drop the box out and take a look but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this before?

It changes up to third without issue, its only on down changes.
Cheers Dan
Dan13

Re: 2010 GLXR - Cant change down to third gear!!

Postby Bad Kitty on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Can't say that I have (given mine's auto ;) ) but I have had a few issues with the super select where the gears dislocate and lock. Best it does go back to Mitsubishi, hopefully a warranty job for you.
Bad Kitty

Postby SecondEye on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:56 pm

If its anything like the old sigma gearboxes the end nut comes off and you lose 5th then 4th then 3rd etc. Had it on the way to a wedding. Arrived in 1st gear.
SecondEye

Postby schem81 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Hey Dan
Sounds similar to and issue I had with mine, 2nd and 3rd would sometimes stick halfway through going into the gear and stop which i would then have to jerk the gear stick again to force it into that gear. It didnt matter whether i was going up or down gears. I took it back to mitsubishi a few times were they replaced the gear box oil to find that the problem was still there. After having someone from their head office come out and take it for a drive, he came to the conclusion and told me that the syncro's within the gear box weren't lining up. Had them replaced and is all good now. Mine was covered by warranty. :)
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
schem81

Postby dazza_241 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:40 pm

atm im having real trouble with the gf changing from 3rd to 2nd. she drives an auto 90% of the time which has caused some grief with me in the passenger seat, compunded with this odd behaving gear box is a little hair raising! the lock out of 2nd seems to do it more when cold but suprisingly underload it plays ball every time!

i posted on the forum previously and was told its a synchro gear box thing. most of the time i heel toe like in the race car so pretty much been putting up with it when it happens but with the girl driving it at night and in the rain the other weekend this was not the nicest feeling. (rain + drunk boyfriend + dodgey gear box = pain!)

there was a post months ago where guys were dropping the gear box oil out and replacing it with a different viscosity...unsure whether that works or not with my issue as i am yet to try it.

thinking i should get onto mitsubishi service and book my ute in!

(fyi... my11 purchased 10/10/10)
dazza_241

Postby Mongrel on Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Hmmm I can't say mine does not go into 2nd, but sometimes it does feel like I need to "give it some" to get it into 2nd.

I will keep my eye on it now.
Ain't Nothing Like a Mongrel. :twisted:
Mongrel

Postby Gfoss83 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:54 pm

I had the same problem 6 months ago. Mitsubishi ended up replacing the whole gearbox under waranty which was good. I now find it hard to go from 3rd to 2nd when cold. These gearboxes are from a truck so they will never be as smooth as a car but are supposed to be very strong. I thought mine might have been a one off but it sounds like more and more people are starting to have issues...
Gfoss83

Postby andyj on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:38 pm

I had the similar problem but mine jammed into 2 gears and it was the bush at the bottom of the gear stick and the stealers sent the box to be checked undr warranty.....
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby fraz91 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:26 pm

i've had this changing down into second and trying to select reverse when stopped. Reverse usually takes a little bit to jam it past half way, but is only an intermittent thing at the moment...

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Trilo on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi I actually had the similar problem but going from 3rd to 4th. They removed the gearbox and replaced the broken synchro.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
Trilo

Postby dazza_241 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:54 pm

just had my 15000km service done. on the positive side i have a turbo...its strange putting ur foot down and hearing it! the ecu had a reflash...
on the negative side the gearbox oil was replaced under warranty however the ute still locks out 2nd gear going both up and down gears.
since the oil was replaced yesterday i now have a baby rattle installed...unfortunately for me i dont have a baby but i do now have a noisey gearstick!
today at lunch i took the service techo guy for a run and he is of the opinion the gearbox is coming out to fix the lock out problems and any internal parts will be replaced as needed. the baby rattle will hopefully be fixed with the gearbox issues!

HOWEVER he also pointed out that i may be up for an additional cost if they find any parts needed to be replaced that are not covered by warranty...i nearly feel over. In the case of a gearbox is this treated like a brake pad? surely not???

Combined with this its 50 bucks a week for the loan car.....

you guys who have had your gearbox replaced under warranty what was the outcome? ie loan car, time off the road, additional cost, end outcome???
dazza_241

Postby Dan13 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:10 pm

WOW! That's tough! My 3rd gear was replaced and I was given a car for the week! All for no charge as it's all on warranty!
Cheers Dan
Dan13

Postby Kgi on Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi all. My 2010 glxr is having the same problem, took it into mits heidelberg when service was due and told them about it. they changed the g/ box oil to see if it would help which it didn't so the next step is to pull it out for inspection and repair or replace. Now here is my delema i need my truck for work ( i'm a fridgie) need ladders, tools ect but they can only supply me with a lancer for the week that they neede the car for. I'm still in talks with them to try and resolve the hire car issue :x :x :x
Kgi

Postby Longranger1 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:39 pm

I wonder if the oil used from the factory is the cause of a lot of gearbox woes. The Aisin boxes are generally robust but if the synchromesh isn't picking up properly because of the oil, the driver forces the shift leading to selector issues later.

They aren't the greatest for having baulky shifts and a change of oil helps (though in mine it is still baulky when in fairly cold conditions). Someone tried Nulon G70 teflon additive in theirs I wonder how it went?
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chaser on Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Never herd of gear selection issues but the gear stick rattle is common. Just screw it down a turn and it will go away...
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby dazza_241 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:33 pm

had a call from the service guy...mitsu aust have given him the ok to order a new box for the ute
i wasnt too happy with the box being pulled out and then stripped and then put back together when its only done 15,700kms
hopefully the new box is on the way up to newy tomorrow and should arrive this week

just another thing a few guys might be keen on that are still running the standard suspension..guy from mitsu said they have also fixed the issue of the noisy/squeaky rear end and it doesnt involve wd40 or this re-aligning the springs. He did explain it but i was just happy that i was getting the new box in i didnt pay full attention to him....its some new set-up/part fixes it...its booked in for that to be done as well!
dazza_241

Postby snowman on Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:34 pm

chaser wrote:Never herd of gear selection issues but the gear stick rattle is common. Just screw it down a turn and it will go away...

how much do Mits charge for that fix Chaser........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TUFF TROOP on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:47 pm

ive done 4 or 5 of these now (work at a mits dealership) synchros arent the best.. thats whats causing it, rebuilt 1 and they just replace whole box now, just unbolt the transfer and bolt it to the new box and wack it in, make sure you get the clutch checked also as they arent real flash in the mns!
TUFF TROOP

Postby Dan13 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:39 am

make sure you get the clutch checked also as they arent real flash in the mns!

I must admit that when they were fixing mine the head mechanic said my clutch felt quite stiff and "not normal". I haven't noticed it because its what I drive every day and it seems OK to me!
Cheers Dan
Dan13

Postby 2salebvz on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:21 pm

My Mn cant change from 2nd to 3rd. It has been over a month now and I cant get any response from our Mitsu Dealer as to what they are going to do about it......he thinks that parts or boxes availablility might be an issue.
I will be heading in there again tomorrow...........not happy!!!!!!
2salebvz

Postby SecondEye on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:49 pm

document it all 2salebvz just incase it goes south. Sounds like unoffically its a known issue.
SecondEye

Postby jasduf on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:46 am

My MN gearbox started locking out 3rd when changing up, took it into mitsu here in Canberra on wedensday and now just waiting on MMAL to authorise the work, service guy is not sure whether they will strip and replace the broken bits or replace the gearbox.
jasduf

Postby banga36 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Mine had the exact same problem at 20,000 took it back to the dealer and apparently the "syncros to 3rd gear" were destroyed and they tried to make me wear the cost until i started carrying on about it. it would only lock out 3rd changing down and the only way to select was to go half into second then try third or to pump the clutch like mad and slam it in
banga36

Postby Kegsy on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Yeah my truck had the same problem with 3rd gear.

Mitsu put a brand new gearbox in her last week. 37,000kms on the clock.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components