Snorkel Installation

Snorkel Installation

Postby snowman on Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:23 pm

OK this thread is dedicated to Installing a Snorkel. There are plenty of threads on types and why..... :?

There also have been a few installations documented but tend to be under Username builds.

Mods can move across some of the better write ups but I have a smaller maybe forgotten part of the installation to pose.

Do you silicone the 'one way drain' at the base of the airbox. A respected installer said 'absolutely' to me but those that did my install did not. Reason for the silicone is because the rubber flap hardens and curls back with time and heat.

See the photos showing definate ingress of water here and a good argument for silicone......

Click to view larger picture

the entry from the snorkel seems to be clean and this definately came through the drain location when driving though puddles. No real seriously deep water crossings.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Snorkel Installation

Postby al coholic on Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:34 pm

Well as you know.......my airbox is siliconed and the "installer" you refer to was present when we had the bonnet up and looking at mine!!

The lower half of my airbox also looks just like yours, maybe worse..........but my snorkel has been on there since just about day 1 of owning the truck.......so couldnt be from drowning in a puddle or anything could it???
I think we came to the conclusion when looking at mine that it could of just been full of dust and then gotten a bit damp when driving in rain or washing the truck or something??? making it "look" like it has gotten muddy water in there?? I don't think those water drains they have on the back of the snorkel head would be all that effective anyway???

I suppose if you look at my avater pic >>>>> could be a reason why i have muddy coloured water in the bottom of the airbox??? :lol: But not a spec of dust or dirt on the clean side of the filter.............which says alot for the uni filter doesnt it!!! :D
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Snowy, you have this really annoying habit of posting up problems with MY Triton. :shock: Mine looks exactly the same. :!:

I think there's a very good case here for sealing up the "flap" drain and installing a tube drain leading to a one way valve. I have automatic drain valves in the water trap bowls of every air outlet in the shop. When there's pressure in the line the valve is held shut but when it equalises with outside the valve will open and any accumulated water can drain out. :idea: A similar thing might solve this problem too. In the event that water does get in here it needs to have a way out, other than through the engine, so I think some kind of drain is necessary.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby snowman on Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:45 pm

al coholic wrote:The lower half of my airbox also looks just like yours, maybe worse..........but my snorkel has been on there since just about day 1 of owning the truck.......so couldnt be from drowning in a puddle or anything could it???
I think we came to the conclusion when looking at mine that it could of just been full of dust and then gotten a bit damp when driving in rain or washing the truck or something??? making it "look" like it has gotten muddy water in there?? I don't think those water drains they have on the back of the snorkel head would be all that effective anyway???

i don't know Ben i looked closely - and the pic is quite good if you look - and it looks like splashes more than 'wet dirt' also my snorkel entry is clean - if this was wet dirt it would be dirty in there to i reckon. Have a look inside your snorkel tube and see if that is dirty - you could have taken some down the head judging by your photos. :roll: :roll:

NowForThe5th wrote:Snowy, you have this really annoying habit of posting up problems with MY Triton. :shock: Mine looks exactly the same. :!:

I think there's a very good case here for sealing up the "flap" drain and installing a tube drain leading to a one way valve. I have automatic drain valves in the water trap bowls of every air outlet in the shop. When there's pressure in the line the valve is held shut but when it equalises with outside the valve will open and any accumulated water can drain out. :idea: A similar thing might solve this problem too. In the event that water does get in here it needs to have a way out, other than through the engine, so I think some kind of drain is necessary.

i don't mean it - i promise!! :lol:

The 'installer' that Ben is refering to indicated that small amounts of water will evaporate through the aspiration of the engine as the snorkel cannot be 100% 'moisture proof'. What is obviously the problem is it filling up quickly - problem is - what is worse water coming in the wrong way through the valve or it not being allowed out. i think i will get some more opinions on this one. although a drain solution that is better than this flap is also a good idea - just got to find something reliable.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:07 pm

I'd rather just frequently check the flap then silicone it shut. Or better yet install a check valve like suggested above.

Some rain does dead down the snorkel during heavy rain and it needs to get out.

Some one on here posted a pic once before of an airbox where the flap was siliconed up, and there was a big puddle in the airbox from driving in heavy rain.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:17 pm

^^^forward facing snorkels...don't like 'em...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby steve1961 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:20 pm

Yes ill wait to see the verdict here too ... as the jury seems to still be out ... although i can see arguments on both sides ... looks like a good drain to a one way valve might be a go
but top idea Snowie to make a dedicated thread to the installs .. maybe one of the mods could make it a sticky
steve1961

Postby new44 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:06 pm

I think leaving it open (alone) would be the best,

and carry with you some duct tape to seal it up when near deep water crossings>?
new44

Return to Tips & Tricks