Fitting GLX-R flare to GLX tub?

Fitting GLX-R flare to GLX tub?

Postby subi_man on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:10 am

I scored myself a new white GLX tub on the weekend (for the best price too - freeeee). Since my tub has a few dents and scratches I thought I might change them over one rainy day.

Does anyone know if the GLX-R flare can easily be fitted to the GLX tub? I'm not sure how the rear flare is attached as I've never had to pull one off :?

Cheers
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Re: Fitting GLX-R flare to GLX tub?

Postby Peruano on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:35 am

Mate I've just done the same thing. There are a few differences. Just make sure you are very careful in taking off your old flares. You will need to drill holes in the new tub to get them to fit on. I broke a few of the plastic fittings getting my old flares off and also the plastic mould on the actual flare itself. I wasn't keen on drilling into the new tub so I just purchased some aftermarket flares from Avenger which took 15 mins to install.

The other thing to look out for is the rear brake light/tail gate handle. You need to do a bit of cutting and drilling to get that to fit and also cut into the wiring loom to get it to work as the GLX loom won't have a connection. (it's easy enough to do.)

Let me know if you have any other questions as it took me a while to do.
Pete
"when I was young my parents moved around a lot...... but I always managed to find them"
Peruano

Postby subi_man on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:43 am

Thanks Pete - doesn't sound as easy as I was hoping it would be :? but it might be a good chance to get colour-coded white flares all round 8-)

Cheers
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Peruano on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:03 am

because of the cab design it took a while to get it off and the new one back on. I slung it with a fork and had a mate helping. You need to lift and tilt the rear up to get away from the cab and clear the wheels at the same time.

Also be very careful putting the fuel door back. I snapped the fitting as it wasn't sitting properly but thankfully had the spare from my old tub which I put in.

It wasn't as easy as I thought but it just time consuming more than anything. I'll have to get a reverse camera now so I don't dent the new tub!!! :D
Pete
"when I was young my parents moved around a lot...... but I always managed to find them"
Peruano

Return to Tips & Tricks