Couragia Mud Terrain 265/75R16 any good ??

Need something to get you rolling?

Postby TUFF TROOP on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am

Hey fellas , I've run into a bit of a problem , my ml triton is in need of two tyres , I have 2 brand new BFG km2 on the front But now I go to get some for the rear and everywhere I've been tell me they can't get them for 6 weeks .. I need them in 2 weeks . So I'm thinking I'll sell my new km2 on the front and buy asetof these Couragia Mud Terrain 265/75R16 has anyone heard or used these ? A couple cars I've worked on have them and seem like good tyres , reviews etc seem good, but I'm going to be doing a few ks on the blacktop soon and not site how they would handle it ..
Also if anyone has these what sort of ks are you getting out of them ? Can get em pretty cheap (240 each) compared to 400ish for the km2 .

Any help would be great!
TUFF TROOP

Re: Couragia Mud Terrain 265/75R16 any good ??

Postby boycee on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:23 am

I have a couple of mate's with them and they seem to think they are a good bit of gear, noisy on road but handle well..

Also check out this thread
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1002&hilit=tyre+survey
heaps of info on all the brands. ;)
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby headake on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:23 am

Think someone in the tire survey thread has them
I MAKE KIDS CRY
headake

Postby snowman on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:25 am

Geek has them and rates them for a good cheaper mud play tyre.

not sure about a full time muddie.

PM him.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:30 am

I'm going to get a set of these next. Use the MTZ as the touring tyre and keep the Feds for the rougher stuff. They are a chunkier tyre with a more open tread.

Like snowie said, get in touch with BG, he's running them now.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Custom Offroad on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:31 am

I had these for a short period on my car. One thing I noticed straight away was they are a very narrow tyre. For a 265 they measured more like a 235. They are not noisy at all on the road, they give a bit of feed back through the steering wheel but are a very capable muddy. Strong side walls with side bitters I wouldn't run these full time if I had the choice. I had them on during the Brisbane floods and where awesome on the muddy roads where other cars were just sliding off!
Bash Plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad accessories......

viewforum.php?f=80
Custom Offroad

Postby borngeek on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:00 pm

Yeah I am running the 32's (265/75/R17) as a pure play tyre. I have limited use of them onroad but can assure you they are not a road tyre.

On road:
I have had passengers that reckon they are quiet or on par with other mud tyres in terms of noise, I reckon they sound like a plane is following you..
Handling is crap at low speed corners they are like a motoX bike you can feel them through the steering.
If you get on the brakes very hard they whinge and complain and bounce a little but stop well.
In the wet they are reasonable, quite hard compound so you can spin them up and again they bounce.

Off road:
They rule! They have the widest pattern I have seen on mainstream muddies. Yes extreme muddies like simex etc have a wider pattern but you would not even dream of driving on road with them.

Wear:
No idea have done a few 1000's k's and very little wear just a few chips from wheelspinning across sharp rock faces and doing dirt work.

Cost:
the main draw card. They have gone up a little bit but expanded their size range this year. The same company that import mickey T and coopers import these. Support wise this importer is established so it is not a 'flash in the pan' brand. They are here for the long haul.

Verdict:
You wont be disappointed offroad, onroad they are a compromise but IMO not too much different to your BFG MT's and such. They are at the more aggressive side in tread pattern.
I have heard mines are starting to use them? There are some guys that may be able to confirm or deny that here...

Here is a crap shot of them on my car
Click to view larger picture
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TUFF TROOP on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks heaps for the info guys , I can get a set of stock rims and tyres for trips if I needed to no worries. But would probably just leave them on anyway. They sound like the way to go! I'm starting to wonder if 285 75 16 would fit , mines lifted 2" and running the glxr alloys .. Hmm
TUFF TROOP

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:35 pm

They will fit - my MTZ did with 2" lift!!
ML-VR08

Postby Chef_Dave on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Has anyone on here thought of a tryre group buy???

I just got off the phone to steve at intercotires.com.au looking at some TRXUS MT's which look very similar to Mickey T's. I was qouted $385 a corner for 265/75/16 as soon as i mentioned a group buy he was willing to go to $330 a corner!!!!! Not a bad saving i thought... :)

I know you can get tyres cheaper from the US though buying local and in bulk will save money and guarentee a local warrenty too :D
I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
Chef_Dave

Postby al coholic on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:18 pm

I would totally agree with Geek's comments.......if he cant kill a tyre, you know its a good thing!!! :lol: :lol:

Getting my set of Federal's on friday as a play set ;) 265/75/16's are retailing about $300 a corner.......they have gone up a bit since the start of the year, but i think most tyres have :roll:
Still Mickey T MTZ's are up or around the $400 mark now :shock: BFG's even more :o

The tyre bloke where im getting them from rates these tyres very highly aswell........so that was also a good sign. He has been supplying them to heaps of farmers etc lately.......reckons they are all ecstatic with them too 8-) :D
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby TUFF TROOP on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:01 pm

yeah farmers around here deal with swamps bog holes mud etc and they use the federals, always comming into work filthy etc and the tyres seem to hold up fine to it all! when i asked one of the drivers what he thought of the tyres he said point it where ya wana go, select 4h and youll get there!

i can get the federal 265s for 240 a corner, id be buying 5 so hmm am very keen, and the 285s are 260 a corner
TUFF TROOP

Postby trickydevil on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:23 am

I had trouble getting the tyre guys to put 285's on my stock glr-r rims as they were only 7 in rims. They had minimum 7.5in width, hense the hummer alloys.
trickydevil

Postby jaypes on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:40 am

have them on my lux full time. they are a great for the mud but i must agree with some, dont use them full time, way too noisy and dont wear that good.
jaypes

Postby TUFF TROOP on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks heaps for the info etc guys , have decided to wait for two km2s and when all 4 wear out I'll then look at getting some play tyres and rims and some daily rims n tyres!
TUFF TROOP

Postby Mattstruck on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Just got a set of these for VERY cheap ;) So cheap I could not say no 8-)

Initial thoughts:

I had an old set of BFG km s (6mm left) on before and they are the only mtz Ive ever had.

I can only compare to those at this stage and I might say the Couragias have a lot to live up to as the BFG were awesome. I could not fault them. Big fan.

ONROAD:

OK, firstly they look really narrow but I measured them and compared to the BFGs and theres only a bees dick in it. For some reason the FC look really thin compared to the BFGs. But it seems it is an optical illusion. Might be because of the open tread.

On the road at 100 km/hr the speedo used to read 96 and I would be going 100. With these I need to do 99 to be doing 100.
Whats this tell you? They are not as tall (Or rolling diameter) even new, as an old BFG.

Yes they are noisy but only a smidge noiser than my BFGs.
The handlings crap but that goes with the territory, BFGs same.

OFFROAD:

Limited experiance as yet. Did a steep hill climb without airing down. Had wheel spin (dual locked) and had to back away and go a little harder (diff dragging) so I dont have much to offer at this stage.

I plan to add to this in the future to give guys some idea about these cos really, for a play tyre, the price and the agressive tread. They should be a winner.

Stay tuned 8-) Others with these feel free to add or edit my findings ;)
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby bluepig on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:14 am

Mattstruck wrote:Just got a set of these for VERY cheap ;) So cheap I could not say no 8-)

ONROAD:

The handlings crap but that goes with the territory, BFGs same.

dont know what the BFG's are like in the wet on bitumen but the couragias you have to be careful :lol: but they say that about all muddies :D
OFFROAD:

Limited experiance as yet. Did a steep hill climb without airing down. Had wheel spin (dual locked) and had to back away and go a little harder (diff dragging) so I dont have much to offer at this stage.

you have to air down matt ive found 18 in rocks and loose stuff and 20 in mud other than that they are a pretty good tyre for the price..
I was looking at there A/T but went with the coopers 8-) 8-) 8-)

bluepig

Postby jerrah on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:36 am

I have a set of 265/75R16's on my MK and I've been really happy with them. I've done a few long trips (1000km x 2) and a fair bit of offroading to total 5000km and I haven't had much wear on them at all. I can hear them at highway speeds but it's not so loud as to bother me - quieter than semi-slicks on my road car! They seem fine on the road, bit slippy in the wet but I don't purposely chew them out doing powerslides! I've been very happy with them in mud and they seem to claw through the slop. Only situation I wasn't so happy with is in the sand where they bite down hard.
jerrah

Postby daryn on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:49 am

My MTZ's are magic in the sand, jerrah, what pressures do you run ?

I am on the sand a bit my way so that part is important if I change to these in the future.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Mattstruck on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Just got back from Robe and ran them at 15psi on the sand. Bagged out beautifully and gave really good traction. Only thing is, like most Muddies on sand. Dont keep your boot on it if you get stuck or you just dig holes. ;)

Like them ;)

Only issue is the wording on the side wall is slightly ripped exposing white under belly. Probally from the doughnuts :roll:
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby bill65 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:23 pm

Mattstruck wrote:Just got back from Robe and ran them at 15psi on the sand. Bagged out beautifully and gave really good traction. Only thing is, like most Muddies on sand. Dont keep your boot on it if you get stuck or you just dig holes. ;)

Like them ;)

Only issue is the wording on the side wall is slightly ripped exposing white under belly. Probally from the doughnuts :roll:

thats why i dont do dougnuts on sand ;) ;)
bill65
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Tyres & Wheels