Mixing Rims

Need something to get you rolling?

Mixing Rims

Postby mostlyharmless on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi all,

I have well worn 225 tyres on steel rims. My aim is to build up a capable touring set up and I'd like to go for 265 x75 r16 tyres. I'm looking for some second hand stock alloys and most seem to be available as sets of 4. Ideally i'd like 6 wheels but initially I can get 4 alloys and wait for some more to come up for sale. In the meantime I thought i could probably use the old steel rims as spares.

So assuming that all wheels have the same tyre, is there a big deal ? The steel rims would only be a spare and i'd be taking it easy until the puncture on the alloy was fixed. From a forum search, the alloys have a 38mm offset and weigh ~10kg while the steel rim has a 46mm offset and weighs ~16kg.

I don't thing there would be a big issue, certainly better than a space saver scenario but does anyone have any practical experience? And if anyone has a couple of stock alloy spares they would let go for a reasonable price then let me know

Cheers
mostlyharmless

Re: Mixing Rims

Postby ag9111 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:30 pm

I take 2 spare 7" steel rims and tyres with me when I go outback solo.

I thought the 7" steel rims were +38 offset as well.

Are the 6" steelies +40?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:33 pm

as long as they are the same rolling radius i think your logic is sound.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mostlyharmless on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:24 am

Thanks both for the replies.

The info in the wheel offset bible thread lists the offsets as; 16x6 steel = +46 and all the alloys as +38 and that agreed with my owners handbook when i found it.

So I took the bold move of looking at the steel rims i have and it then hit me that they are 6" and i'll need at least 7" for 265 tyres so I can't use my existing steel rims as spares anyway. At least not unless i buy narrower, higher profile tyres for them so they match the rolling diameter and that misses my point. The steel rims don't have many markings on them but they are marked with J16x16JJ. Then some other numbers I can't make a lot of sense of but they include a 8 which i assume references the 6 bolt pattern but nothing obviously linking to the pcd of 139.7. The it finishes up with EP 5 which make no sense to me. EP not ET and 5 ???. Nothing on the rim that indicates that the offset is 46.

Oh well.
mostlyharmless

Postby al coholic on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:47 am

A 235/85/16 is the same diameter as a 265/75/16 ;)

I wonder how close you would go to fitting them on a 6" rim as spares??
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Return to Tyres & Wheels