fitting "33 inch" tyres- a summary.

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: fitting "33 inch" tyres- a summary.

Postby jop on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:23 am

5.29's ftw ;-)
jop

Re: fitting

Postby srb on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:02 am

TUFF TROOP wrote:Yeah need to go higher ratio as motoz said. Just going through this with my 80 series that I've put some 38" tyres on haha.

You guys have the wrong terminology! :roll: Guess we gotta expect that from a bloody Mitz tech ay. :roll: Whats your excuse Motoz? :lol: :lol: Lucky we know what you mean though. :roll:

Get up them Snowman! :lol:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tom B on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:21 am

A quick explanation maybe? Lol
Take the 4.1 to 1 ratio
Quite simply is 4.1 turns of the tail shaft = 1 turn at the wheels
The 4.88 to 1 ratio is 4.88 turns to one etc etc
So for the same rpm, the 4.88 provides the lower speed, which combats any increase in tyre size (larger rolling diameter)
No more Triton....

Now where did I leave that Patrol ;)
Tom B

Postby motoz on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Tom B wrote:A quick explanation maybe? Lol
Take the 4.1 to 1 ratio
Quite simply is 4.1 turns of the tail shaft = 1 turn at the wheels
The 4.88 to 1 ratio is 4.88 turns to one etc etc
So for the same rpm, the 4.88 provides the lower speed, which combats any increase in tyre size (larger rolling diameter)

Yerp I get it just got the terminology wrong.

As you change the ratio doesn't the crown wheel get weaker as there's more pitch on the gears so its more likely to sheer a tooth?
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Bumping this up for the new fella..... who's name is too hard to remember.
DocBassett

Postby Diesel1974 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi guys

Can you fit 20 inch rims to a ml triton, will there be any mods needed or anything

Cheers
Diesel1974

Postby har05l on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Diesel1974 wrote:Hi guys

Can you fit 20 inch rims to a ml triton, will there be any mods needed or anything

Cheers

Welcome ;) , SEARCH

Try this
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5040
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:53 pm

I was planning on doing an update exactly a year from my original post about 33s for everyone to know how the car has been. But our baby is due at that time so I probably won't get a chance too. 11 months, close enough :lol:

I am still on the same CV's that were on before I put 33s on. Front left is original, front right is likely a repco and was changed out several months before tyres went on. The CVs dont appear to be making any noise. No noticeable changes to the car in anyway. The only negative I can see is that crawler gears would be beneficial when doing down hill stuff. My economy still ranges from 11.6 to 12L based on the cars guide. I havent worked it out at the pump. Everything else drives normal. Braking is fine with the braided lines from ultimate as an upgrade.
Things may go wrong in the future, but touch wood no dramas so far. I did have one small accident out bush unrelated to tyres and insurance paid out fine even with 33s. It is also interesting to see that there are several tritons on aussie4wd triton with 4+ inch lifts and 35s. One bloke has even run 37s. I personally don't agree with that size on road, but I think it's credit to the tritons as they can handle that load.
DocBassett

Postby lachiem on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:05 pm

+1 for the confidence boost. Just out of interest who was the insurer?
There is a bloke running around wodonga in a silver ML that looks like he's running 35's.
Only seen him on the move though so can't be certain.
Looks tough as though.
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby DocBassett on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:33 pm

Shannons insurance. I love them. Awesome to deal with. Ill be putting my house with them soon too. One of the MLs with 35s is silver. Not sure where he is though.
DocBassett

Re: fitting

Postby trickydevil on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:47 pm

motoz wrote:I've never experienced gaining in the economy stakes by fitting a tyre with a larger rolling diameter.

I found a big increase in fuel usage, slower acceleration, an increase in low range crawling speed and legality with the 285/75x16 tyres on my MN.

IMO the negatives of running 33's on the Triton far out weigh the extra 1/2" of lift you gain under your diff.

Everyone's different though.

:)

The 1/2in extra of clearence can mean the difference between dragging your rear pumpkin and not. This was noteable a fair while ago when the last of the 3 bears track was still drivable in coffs. A few of the triton boys came down for a run, 4wd26 was the first of the pumpkin draggers which cleared they way for the rest after a mammoth effort on his part. I drove the same track later ( didn't drive that track on that weekend as i had a trip to sydney for work on the monday and didn't want to risk possible breakages - soft i know ) but the clearence was beneficial. I stopped part way up just after the split, looked underneath and smiled. I just love my 33's. I'll always stick with that size and as far as legalities go my ML has been engineered for the tyres :evil:
trickydevil

Postby DocBassett on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:05 pm

What did it cost you for the engineering?! I want it done.
DocBassett

Postby DocBassett on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Just some more info for everyone. I took my mudflaps off due to scrubbing with tye 33s. But im sick of mud being flung up my doors, and have a lot of stone chips. So today I set out to modify my mudflaps to make them fit. Turns out it was a really easy process.
Click to view larger picture
This was the scrubbing. It was on the inside portion of the mudflap.

Using a stanley knife, I cut that portion away. The integrity of the flap still seems fine. It doesn't appear to be structurally weakened.

All fitted up. And a few mm clearance. Yet to take it for a drive, but all seems good so far.
DocBassett

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:50 am

I've got 33's, removed mud flaps. I love them. I've only done about 800ks on them so far lol. Already thinking about the next set of tyres, will be 35's. :lol:
But from what I can tell 33's + 2.5inch lift will get me everywhere I want to go. 35's is for more a wank factor but it will look good while wanking along if anything :lol:

Doc, I think it will still scrub when down on the front corner while turning.. on 3 wheels almost about to roll. Well thats what I found, removed the flap, and it still touches the metal in that sort of situation, but at that stage, rubbing is the least of your worries lol.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:12 am

Haha gold. What offset are you running? As far as I can tell so far, it hasn't scrubbed at all. I did a test by rubbing some chalk over the mud flap and then went for a drive over a relatively easy 4by track. Couldn't see any major chalk removal...
DocBassett

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:59 am

I've got 0 offset. When turning the outer edge of the tyre was touching the flap, removed the flap and had half and inch of clearance, but flexed right down on that corner with the body leaning that way while turning and tyres on 22psi, it was touching the body where the flap was, on that protruding edge if you know what I mean.
Probably nothing a few taps with a hammer can't fix, but I'd rather have more lift lol.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:35 am

Ah yep. I'm on 25+ offset so that may be the difference. Who knows.
DocBassett

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:56 am

yep that will make the difference, zero is a lot harder to fit without scrub.

can get to 35" without scrub and without mudflaps with the correct offset.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:54 am

What's a good rim size and offset for 35s? I'm going wheel hunting lol
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:28 pm

best offset for minimal scrubbing/ body work is between +15 and +25 TYRE DEPENDANT.

BUT......

as the tyre becomes higher you should also widen the track, equalise the COG

usual rule was 1" increase in height (not diameter) was to widen the track by a 1"

so that would have you out at zero or negative for 35" tyres, stock tyres being 29.5" diameter

also keep in mind the new ADR's (mostly all states have adopted- check your own information) you can widen track by 50mm legally so around +13 offset
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:01 am

Aside from the legality issue, what happens if you start going the other way, -15 offset etc?
Granted sticking out, legality, extra strain on components, but as far as fitment goes?

My rims/tyres stick out past the body an inch, and some places at the watagans, you didnt have a choice but to rub up against a wall.
I pulled my side mirror in and slide down against the wall like everyone else. But my tyres touched and stopped my body hitting it, everyone had rub marks down the whole side of their vehicle. I didnt.
Almost used them like brush bars I guess :lol:
Its also made the car more stable having the wider track and made some tracks alot easier that others were slipping and falling into.

So I see tyres sticking of the guards as a positive in some respects. I got those wide thailand flares, but second guessing putting them on after my last trip, because they would have been thrashed.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:58 am

Are you going to run them as play tyres though or day to day? Legality may be less of an issue if you're only running them now and again and don't get picked up by Mr Plod I guess. You might find someone who will sign off on it for you I guess. I see you're in NSW so there are two different layers to the legality (at least - I haven't gone back to double check) - so you've got to make sure they're contained within the flares which you seem to have thought about and then you've got the restrictions on increasing the track width which from memory don't permit much change.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:18 pm

Initially they will be play rims, but knowing me, I will run them til I get pinged, then will put the other ones back on :lol:
I've got other things to do before getting these rims anyway, but it never hurts to add more to the ever growing list lol.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wi53yz_4wd on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:18 pm

im in the need for new tyres on my mn. I dont have any lift atm nor do i go off road atm will 285 75 16 fit untill i get a 2" lift in the next fee months
wi53yz_4wd

Postby DocBassett on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:55 pm

Do you plan to go offroad in the future? If not, I wouldn't bother with 33s. If you mean that you wont be offroad until you get the lift, it should be fine. You will scrub a lot. Personally I wouldn't do it. But if you are getting new tyres now and say a lift in a few weeks time, they might be ok. People have done it apparently, but I don't know how.
DocBassett

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels