Random tyre questions

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Random tyre questions

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:26 pm

You can fit a 265 onto a 7 or 7.5 inch standard alloy. Homer has got a 275 onto the 7 inch - that was with a D694 from Bridgestone but gives you an idea of what is achievable anyway.

Looking at Har05l's post about the placard the 111S is a speed and load rating for the tyre. I can't remember off the top of my head which is which. From memory you have to fit something with an equivalent or better load rating but the speed rating is not mandatory provided it is above a certain speed (150km or something it might have been - sorry to be vague but I last looked at this a few years back).

In NSW the regs let you increase in size to some degree both in width and diameter - as to which see hvac's explanation above on those numbers and what they mean (with which I agree).

The quote you've pasted in suggests no scope for changing from the standard size - which sucks. You'll also struggle to find many tyres in that size with the required specs from my memory of when I was searching around.

If you're up for the risk get the bigger tyres - they'll fit. I've not heard of anyone being pulled up on it except those who've got big fat muddies outside the flares. Everyone has their own threshold though in terms of the risks they're prepared to run with these things.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby aids84 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Just after a few opinions

I'm thinking of getting another set of wheels to throw some more offroad oriented tyres on. After some searching around on various sites i'm going to go with some 16x8 steelies with a +20 offset, with 265/75 R16 Maxxis Bighorns. Sound like a good combo?

Would probably prefer alloys but the cost of steelies is so much cheaper and the plan is to use the standard HT tyres on the alloys during the week and throw the steelies on for weekend activities.

Next question is to those with two sets of wheels. How long did you persevere swapping the wheels over before you got lazy and just left the "play" set on all the time?
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby whiteonedifflock on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi aids84 .I went into the tyre shop got them to put my kumho kl71
Mts on new steelies and hts on alloys I left the tyre shop september
2012 with mts on and there still on . I do go bush pretty much every
Weekend .
whiteonedifflock

Postby aids84 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:27 pm

Cheers for the reply. Do you drive much during the week? I do about 80kms commute on the highway a day so I imagine the HT's would be better to use. Do you find the steelies and muddies increase your fuel consumption much?
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mongrel on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 am

So I have been tyre researching all weekend and am now between a rock and a hard place...

I have 3 tyres to choose from...

MT STZ
Coops AT3
Maxxis AT700

The first two are nearly $100 a corner more than the Maxxis. Considering I go off road about 4 times a year - and in saying that, no mud running, is it worth the extra $400 for coops or Mickeys?

What say you?
Ain't Nothing Like a Mongrel. :twisted:
Mongrel

Postby Bad Kitty on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:10 pm

Hey Mongrel! :)
Seriously cannot fault my Micky T's (MTZ), best money spent IMO. Have had them on since jan 2012, done 20,000km with them and still going strong! Sand, gravel, black top, concrete, mud = all good ;)
Bad Kitty

Postby Mongrel on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks mate! Nice to see you still lurking. :)

A mate sent me this just now... just to add more into the mix...

http://www.stgeorgetyres.com.au/tyres/b ... etail.aspx
Mongrel

Postby ag9111 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:45 pm

BFG AT Yuuuccccckkkkk.........................
Horrible things but very popular :?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mongrel on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 pm

ag9111 wrote:BFG AT Yuuuccccckkkkk.........................
Horrible things but very popular :?

Ok - You opened your gob - care to elaborate?? ;)
Mongrel

Postby ag9111 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:57 pm

The set I had went really hard half way through its life and was very slippery in the wet. OK if you drive like a grandmother, which i dont. That is how they get such big km's out of these tyres. This is not an isolated case and one young member on this very forum is suffering the same issue.
Because of this, you either hate them or love them
People who run around in underpowered vehicles dont notice, but it was scary for me. So much so that I put them on some camper trailors, where they still reside
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rowan_kelly85 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:50 pm

I've had a good read through the thread, there is so much info in here to digest.

I've decided on getting a set of Cooper S/T MAXX, based on research, and a mate of mine has them on his hilux and rates them very highly.

The big thing confusing me is the size, to go 245 same as standard or 265. Is the power loss and fuel consumption increase really bad with the 265's? i'd like the extra bit of diff clearance, but dont want to compromise the power and economy i'm getting now.
rowan_kelly85

Postby Mongrel on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:54 pm

Rowan,

I am in the same boat, although I think I might go the Maxxis - based on the price.

I have been looking at the Outside Diameter. That is what will make the difference.
Mongrel

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:11 pm

rowan_kelly85 wrote:The big thing confusing me is the size, to go 245 same as standard or 265. Is the power loss and fuel consumption increase really bad with the 265's? i'd like the extra bit of diff clearance, but dont want to compromise the power and economy i'm getting now.

Is there a difference? Sure. Is it a problem? No, doesn't even bother the V6 and we all know that that means it couldn't possibly bother a diesel. :P :lol:

Diff clearance gained? 20mm x 70% = 14mm. Not really a lot.

Are they legal? Well...................um..................not quite.

Is there a difference in ride, grip and handling? Like chalk and cheese! :D

Think carefully before buying tyres on price. They can often cost you more in the long run.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby fraz91 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:20 pm

ag9111 wrote:The set I had went really hard half way through its life and was very slippery in the wet. OK if you drive like a grandmother, which i dont. That is how they get such big km's out of these tyres. This is not an isolated case and one young member on this very forum is suffering the same issue.
Because of this, you either hate them or love them
People who run around in underpowered vehicles dont notice, but it was scary for me. So much so that I put them on some camper trailors, where they still reside

Garth is right, they are great in wet and dry conditions for the first 20-30,000kms (in my case anyway), and then they harden up and become ice-skates in the wet. I know I push my vehicle a little hard at times, but in the wet I get three choices: RWD and have it extremely tail-happy, AWD and lose steering halfway through a corner, or drive like a grandma in AWD to give myself the best chance of making it around a corner.

Off-road, they're pretty good for an all-terrain. They haven't really let me down as yet, and I have only done one sidewall (although that was more bad choice of line and wrong pressure) and had one puncture. They have lasted me about 80,000kms now, and look to get at least 10K more out of two, with about 20K to go on the others. Definitely gotten my moneys worth out of them. :lol:

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby rowan_kelly85 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:28 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Is there a difference? Sure. Is it a problem? No, doesn't even bother the V6 and we all know that that means it couldn't possibly bother a diesel. :P :lol:

Diff clearance gained? 20mm x 70% = 14mm. Not really a lot.

Are they legal? Well...................um..................not quite.

Pretty much answers it for me, i know 14mm is not much, but its something. And well legality, im not overly concerned with, plenty of blokes running around with jacked up patrols and cruisers with massive muddies and they dont seem to get booked around here.

The 265's should look pretty sweet sitting on it.

Thanks
rowan_kelly85

Postby Mongrel on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Yep I am going 265x65x17 I just can't decide on brand and style yet.

Do I go for an AT tyre like the AT3 from Coopers, or the offroader like the MTZ from Mickeys, or look at something like the Maxxis and save some coin.

Argghh!!! Decisions.
Mongrel

Postby har05l on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Mongrel wrote:Yep I am going 265x65x17 I just can't decide on brand and style yet.

Do I go for an AT tyre like the AT3 from Coopers, or the offroader like the MTZ from Mickeys, or look at something like the Maxxis and save some coin.

Argghh!!! Decisions.

Just go the maxxis mongrel, if they hold up anything like there M/T cousin you'll be more than impressed ;)

The more you procrastinate the harder it'll get :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Mongrel wrote:Yep I am going 265x65x17 I just can't decide on brand and style yet.

Argghh!!! Decisions.

Go an AT. ;)
You said you only go off road about 4 times a year and no mud.
A MT will be a softer rubber compound and wear quicker. ;)
I'm assuming this is an everyday set of tyres not a second set.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Mongrel on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:17 pm

Yep - Everyday tyre.

And yes - I am leaning toward the Maxxis. The $400 can bet better spent I think.
Mongrel

Postby KevO78 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 pm

just a quick question, will 275/60/r18 fit under a ml with 2" lift? some 4 sale that i'm eyeing off 8-)
KevO78

Postby rowan_kelly85 on Wed May 01, 2013 7:38 am

I'd never even considered Maxxis, has anyone got an opinion on their A/T tyres (AT-700 Bravo), had a look in the tyre survey and most peopl with maxxis seem to run the big horns.
rowan_kelly85

Postby Mongrel on Wed May 01, 2013 7:47 am

I was thinking the same thing Rowan. I was about to pull the trigger on the 700s, and then did some more searching online, and many are running the BigHorns.

Too much choice - its doing my head in.
Mongrel

Postby Sootie on Wed May 01, 2013 12:56 pm

rowan_kelly85 wrote:I'd never even considered Maxxis, has anyone got an opinion on their A/T tyres (AT-700 Bravo), had a look in the tyre survey and most peopl with maxxis seem to run the big horns.

I had maxxis 31"'s on my old SWB pajero and they stuck like sultana's to your socks, the stock tires on it would light up at the drop of a hat in the rain but the maxxis I could drop the clutch at 3 grand and not light them up (which had its good and bad points :lol: ). They were just the Bravo A/T's

Not sure what they would be like on a bigger more powerful car like the triton but just my experience.
Sootie

Postby rowan_kelly85 on Wed May 01, 2013 2:36 pm

i spoke to the local tyre shop today who spoke very highly of the Maxxis at-700. Said they would perform as well as the coopers in their experience for less money. They were concerned through that the 265's may not be a good option due to the way my bullbar is mounted, as it may rub at full lock.

Waiting to hear back on a price when they work me out a deal.
rowan_kelly85

Postby mIwoo on Wed May 01, 2013 3:11 pm

The AT700 has the same carcass as the MT764 so essentially it should have the same guts... so very tough! Much the same way the BFG AT and MT have the same carcass. For me... I personally HATED the bravo 751 tyre... it was shyte to say the least... but the 751 and AT700 are two completely diff tyres.
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels