Random tyre questions

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Random tyre questions

Postby al coholic on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:22 am

I don't think there would be any issues with 8ply/10ply ;)
Clutching at straws here......All I can think of is maybe the 10ply is slightly heavier, therefore if you run them on opposite corners you might get funny steering feedback?? Or it might pull a bit to the left if the 10 was on the passo side and an 8 on the drivers side?? But again......purely guessing!!

Probably could just run the 10's on the rear....8's on the front. Rotate side to side during their life rather than a full 4 wheel rotation. ;) the 10's on the rear are going to be better when towing the camper :)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby trumpy955 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:02 am

tritonmal wrote:Thinking of changing the standard cheese cutters as nearly used up. Goodyear duratrek or coopers stt??? Opinions ???

I have stt's and I'm pretty happy with them so far. Do most things pretty well. Only clay has really had them stumped but how many muddies really survive clay well??
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby al coholic on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:39 am

trumpy955 wrote:Only clay has really had them stumped but how many muddies really survive clay well??

My Federals :twisted:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby biggibbo on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:26 am

har05l wrote:My random question is does anybody see a problem running different wall ply thicknesses?

I currently run 8 ply bighorns and will soon be ready for my 2nd set. I still have the spare which is new and also picked up another new tyre but is a 10 ply. My intention was to just get 1 more of each and run them opposite each other.

I'm certain no issues will arise from this but just checking ;)

depends if the your bighorns are 762 or 764's. Make sure they are quoting u on same for same. The 764's are the new tread design but there is still plenty of 762 stock around apparently.
biggibbo

Postby trumpy955 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:57 pm

al coholic wrote:
trumpy955 wrote:Only clay has really had them stumped but how many muddies really survive clay well??

My Federals :twisted:

Hahaha nice. But you wouldn't wanna run them all the time would you? Wait, look who I'm asking :lol: :lol:
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby benno45 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:36 pm

hi guys ijust bought a new 2012 duel cab glxr and was wondering if 285x75r16 would fit on it with only a two inch suspension lift?

or what will fit on it without cutting anything
benno45

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:49 pm

The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby goochie on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:14 pm

Hey fellas, what is the biggest tyre someone has fit on say an 07 ML single or dual cab, with a 50mm lift? I'm having trouble finding a good size, because I would like to go wider than my current Kuhmo MT's, but am struggling to find the right rim offest. I have flairs so sticking out isn't an issue front or rear, just in relation to scrubbing and what not. Looking at 305/70R16's..... Just wondering if they will fit before i get quotes and what not. cheers for the help! ;)
07 ML Triton, 2" Lift, 33's, Snorkel, XROX, Spotties, 3" Exhaust, CHIPIT Chip. Waddup!
goochie

Postby kwyjibo on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:30 pm

Mine are 305's on just a 2" lift and don't scrub in any way whatsoever, but i've had to do heavy trimming of inner pinchweld guard... but much of this could be avoided if i had chosen a different offset...

The rims i chose are zero offset, and had i chosen +10 or -10 or more in either direction it would have turned out to be less cutting, and more or less illegal looking depending what you're after :lol:

The standard Triton rim offset is +38 i believe(38mm out from the center of the rim) so having a zero offset already makes the wheels stick out further, then the 305's which are fat tyres makes it even more so...

To answer your question i don't think anybody (that i can think of) on a 2" lift has fit anything bigger than 305x70x16... (I've helped a couple guys fit the same size tyre through pm though, so some of us out there ;) ) But then 4wd26 with the 32" Simex Centipedes which when inflated to road pressure end up the diameter of a 34" :shock: but damn they're skinny like high heels :lol: :twisted: but has bigger knobs on the sidewalls than i have in my pants :oops: :lol:

Here is a photo of the 305x70x16 Baja Claw next to the worn 265x75x16 they were replacing 8-)
Click to view larger picture
kwyjibo

Postby goochie on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Oh that's mad. Good on you mate, so you suggest a little offset wouldn't hurt? I don't really care if they stick out, just need epic flares haha. I love the look of the mt sidebiters on the mt mtz's, wonder if they come with an offset other than zero. Or maybe you could just help me on where to chop chop my guards? Haha 8-)
07 ML Triton, 2" Lift, 33's, Snorkel, XROX, Spotties, 3" Exhaust, CHIPIT Chip. Waddup!
goochie

32" Muddies on a stock MN Triton

Postby Cormac on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi All

First Triton, and I have just fitted a set of BFGoodridge 265/70/17 KM2 Muddies 32"to it

I have been told it has given the vehicle approx a 1.5" lift and there still seems be plenty of room in the guards

Is there any thing i should be wary of before hitting the tracks?? Im a litle concerned about the front wheels, and ripping the front guards off under "enjoyable" conditions

Surly there should be ample whel travel? Or will ideally need a lift??

Any feedback is good feedback

Cheers
Cormac

Re: 32" Muddies on a stock MN Triton

Postby Kegsy on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:48 pm

Go hard, that size will fit all round with no worries. :twisted:

Just watch the factory tin foil bash plates.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Great, another tyre thread. :roll:

They'll be fine, I ran 265/70 from day one with no other mods. 8-) 8-)

as Kegsy said, get proper bash plates.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby badenglxr on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:42 pm

Just a quick question lads been hunting and can't find my answer. I'm wondering if I put on 285/75/16 on the mn glxr 2.5 Manuel, will it loose much power low end? As in if upgrade to this size will I need to upgrade the clutch? Or will a chip and or exhaust take care of the issue sum what?

Cheers :)
badenglxr

Postby fridgie on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:47 pm

They will lose a bit, I'd do all you mentioned (zorst not overly important though) but with the extra power to regain the losses the clutch won't like it when combined with the added stress of getting the thing moving.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby RossyB07 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:15 pm

badenglxr wrote:Just a quick question lads been hunting and can't find my answer. I'm wondering if I put on 285/75/16 on the mn glxr 2.5 Manuel, will it loose much power low end? As in if upgrade to this size will I need to upgrade the clutch? Or will a chip and or exhaust take care of the issue sum what?

Cheers :)

You will be wanting to do some sort of power upgrade due to running bigger tyres!
RossyB07

Postby badenglxr on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks for that fridgie :) appreciate the reply mate.
badenglxr

Postby fridgie on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:36 pm

No worries mate, my 32's took a bit away but my mrt tune got it back plus some (thinking back probably would have preferred a chip but wasn't an option for me at the time, older members will remember why ;) )

I drive mine very hard and go places I shouldn't when by myself, now on my 3rd clutch so far (standard, heavy duty, custom built :twisted: ) and hopefully this one hangs about for a while :lol: :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby sheepo on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:47 pm

hi found these on the net any body tried them or heard any thing?

these kenda mud tyres look ok?

http://www.kendatires.com.au/index.php/kenda-products/kenda-suv-light-truck-tyres/17-kenda-suv-light-truck-range/59-kenda-klever-mt-kr29
Peter
08 VR
sheepo

Kenda klever M/T KR29

Postby sheepo on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:09 pm

hi found these on the net any body tried them or heard any thing?

i tryed to get pic but did not work?

http://www.kendatires.com.au/index.php/ ... er-mt-kr29
(from there web page)
KENDA Klever M/T
KR29

The Kenda M/T is an excellent choice for off-road enthusiasts or individuals that require a high traction tire for their work environment. The durable rubber compound will withstand the most demanding work environments. In addition, the Kenda M/T features unique self-cleaning lugs for maximum traction during the harshest conditions.

Double steel-belted construction utilized for long-lasting wear and uniformity
Radiated shoulder lugs provide exceptional self-cleaning capability
Peter
08 VR
sheepo

Re: Kenda klever M/T KR29

Postby Mudme on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:43 am

Looks the same as the Mickey Thompson 4 rib at's
Mudme

Re: big tyre help

Postby triton08 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:02 pm

ok guys a quick one i own a 2008 glx 4x4 with standard wheels and tyres will replace soon. I have found that the front tyres are excessively wearing on the inner edge equally of both tyres the vehicle still tracks straight any ideas.

the reason I ask I met another triton owner with same year as mine but GL and petrol who is having exact same problem his vehicle has done 68K mine 62K is this a problem with that year model?
triton08

Postby fridgie on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Too much negative camber

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby sheepo on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:55 pm

I got a quote on the Kenda mud tyres 265/75/16 10 plys 220 each fitted and balanced :-)
Peter
08 VR
sheepo

Postby nitrox1971 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:47 pm

32" how much did it effect your speedo ? Anything else effeted with larger wheels. Was looking at bfg 245/75/16 31" but told they no longer made a bfg AT in that size . 235/85/16 still made in AT 32". Was going 31 to bring speedo closer. For new glx twin cab. 80% on road use so did not want to go mud tyres.
nitrox1971

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels