Which Tyre pressure do you run

Need something to get you rolling?

Postby Dave on Tue May 27, 2008 9:42 pm

HC, that must be one of the best ideas to come out of Unzed...:)

Think I'll try that.
I run mine at 29psi, but then we have bigger wheels than you lot.8-)
Dave
Site Admin

Postby dlw on Tue May 27, 2008 9:46 pm

HC the outer edge of my tyres actually had dust on them now at lower pressure they don't.
dlw

Postby High Country on Tue May 27, 2008 9:57 pm

dlw - you might need a new tire pressure gauge..........one you're using is 'on drugs'...........

My ute @ 32psi has full footprint on ground.....
Tip # 1 - Avoid stress & grief & low resale values with vehicles - do it once - do it right, buy a HILUX!!
High Country

Postby dlw on Tue May 27, 2008 10:01 pm

I used zips and fuel station digital pump
dlw

Postby High Country on Tue May 27, 2008 10:47 pm

As I was saying.................;) ;)
Tip # 1 - Avoid stress & grief & low resale values with vehicles - do it once - do it right, buy a HILUX!!
High Country

Postby Greedy on Tue May 27, 2008 11:34 pm

Watch out for those digital ones at servos. A lot of them are manufactured here in Adelaide. I have heard issues through my work place who manufactures them
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Magilla on Wed May 28, 2008 2:10 am

ok now how low. I have run the ht Tyres down to 18
Magilla

Postby Eelesy on Fri May 30, 2008 6:43 am

i had my HT tyres down to 12-15 for the times i had it at the beach
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Magilla on Fri May 30, 2008 12:07 pm

Going to nelson this weekend so might hit up a sand track (between fishing, burning wood,drinking beer), was thinking I would go for 18 psi
Magilla

Postby ML-VR08 on Sat May 31, 2008 9:57 am

Lower lol...take it to around 15
ML-VR08

Postby Quinny23 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:11 am

Get a gauge and stick to it... the stations readings are only a vauge indication at best...

Even if 'your' gauge is slightly out, it should be consistant and using the methods above you'll be able to get them spot on... 24 is to low IMHO.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby Sapient on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:13 am

Magilla, Im off to Nelson next weekend...lemme know if you find any good tracks!!!
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Wallace on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:25 am

I have BFG AT fitted immediately after delivery of my Tri, run 44psi in the front and 42psi in the rear. So far have clocked 40,000klm and SFA wear. I do drop the pressures when trying to launch the boat off sandy banks but not that much....... I have found that the slightly higher pressures gives good steer, no oversteer and no understeer.
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby Quinny23 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:34 am

Wallace, what size are your tyres? At 44 psi I would have thought you would get the tyres wearing with an angular top. (Easy to pick by rubing you hand around the tyre one way then another... one way will be sharp)...

My previous pair of BFG's only got 50K from them due to high inflation.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby Magilla on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:49 pm

Sapient. Didnt really get the chance.
Went down one called McHughs, followed it for 30 minutes and ended up behind a boat shed just upstream from the simpsons landing boat ramp, 5 minutes from where I started. If you get the chance go towards that boat ramp and turn right just at the car park, follow it along and turn left at the cream hose on the corner intersection. I went down to that shed and followed the track around, I couldnt get back onto the uphill section again, no diff locks full pressure and couldnt get the angle right (not without a lot of scratches any way) so had to back down and go back up the way I came. Gee those ATZ dig out some soil trying though. let me know how you go
Magilla

Postby gfm_69 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:52 am

I have Copper STT's and run 40 psi all around id this good or bad?
gfm_69

Postby Magilla on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:00 am

Dunno GFM I dont think I could run mine at 44, ATZ have a pretty firm ride at 34, at 44 I would like like wiyle coyote after being on a jackhammer. Ask your dealer or email coopers.
Magilla

Postby Wallace on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:45 am

Quinny, 265/70 and no feathering on either edge of the tyre after 40,000klm, when I sold my Monteray I had the same tyre and at the time had clocked over 70,000klms and still plenty of tread and I mean plenty of tread.
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby Sapient on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:39 pm

[quote]Sapient. Didnt really get the chance.
Went down one called McHughs, followed it for 30 minutes and ended up behind a boat shed just upstream from the simpsons landing boat ramp, 5 minutes from where I started. If you get the chance go towards that boat ramp and turn right just at the car park, follow it along and turn left at the cream hose on the corner intersection. I went down to that shed and followed the track around, I couldnt get back onto the uphill section again, no diff locks full pressure and couldnt get the angle right (not without a lot of scratches any way) so had to back down and go back up the way I came. Gee those ATZ dig out some soil trying though. let me know how you go[/quote]

Thanks mate....boat shed, hose, shed. Got it. Will report back...... ;)
Just bought the topo map for Nelson too, might see what else I can find 8-)
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Magilla on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:11 pm

Yeh sapient got it into a spot where there was the left front and the right rear with no weight on them, . . lockers would have been handy.
Magilla

Re: Which Tyre pressure do you run

Postby barraxt on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:05 pm

These are for the Grabber AT2 empty with 45 litre Waeco and Recovery kit and Compressor in the rear.

Front - 36psi
Rear - 33/34psi

Any higher and they are just too harsh.

The supplier recommend 33-35 all round, but I have played with pressures over 5,000kms and now I seem to be happy with the pressures. For towing I increase the rear to 36/38 and for really soft sand, 18 minimum. Normal sand around 22.

These are what work for me on 265/70 r 16 AT2
barraxt

Postby Homer on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:31 am

Sand - generally around 18-20 - never higher, just uses up the car and wrecks the tracks for everyone else, but go as low as 12 easy for bad spots like Nagala rocks after heavy traffic and drought.
There is no real pressure too low - had my Nissan at 8 on more than one occasion - only found out after 4 days of beach driving when I pumped them up (don't let your mates deflate your tyres for you!). If the tyre don't come of the rim....it aint too low IMHO.
But I am also a fat lazy bastard who hates digging and pushing....and obviously so are my mates.

I like sitting back having a beer and watching the knuckleheads with their tyres at 25 + (after a polite suggestion to deflate them) have 15 goes at a hard spot and then driving around them while they're stuck. :lol:
Some people seem to have that "don't tell me about boats" attitude?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Sky Miner on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:09 pm

:|
Last edited by Sky Miner on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby snowman on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:24 pm

forget tyre performance and wear for a moment. do a dirt track with normal potholes and rocks at 30-40PSI and then do it at 20PSI.

i can assure you the difference is amazing.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Sky Miner wrote:Bumping an old one :shock:

i know this has been talked about.....somewhere here but buggered if i can find it :roll:

Having a bit of an argument on another forum bout tire pressure's weather to inflate V deflate on rocky ground

The point being made is a softer tire will give you better grip and a softer ride but allso you run the risk of spinning

your rim and breaking the bead :shock: (just for argument sake a 33") but my point is it exposes your

sidewall to more damage, inhence i personaly like to run mine at highway pressure's (35/40) to minimise sidewall

damage but then the other side of the argument is tire tread (lugs) are "ripped" off due to a higher/harder tire pressure

+ a harder ride, tread damage i can live with' sidewall damage is certainly the end of the tire.

What are people's experence's/views on this. ;)

I think it was in Motoz's trip report of his south oz adventure....where a property owner laughed at them for lowering pressures :roll:
Lower your pressures....DEFINITELY!!! I add a little disclaimer and say it would depend on the circumstances though, only you the driver, can judge the situation. ;)
Generally speaking though, anytime you are going to engage low range on a track, tyre pressures also lowered to suit.

In all the sharp rocky tracks we have done down here, Wheeny Ck, Lake Lyell etc (anyone who has done lake lyell can attest to how sharp some of the shale type rock is out there) we have only seen one sidewall damged by a rock, and that was one of my Mickey T ATZ's.......the rock cut an L-shape cut in the sidewall.....I would like to think it wouldnt of mattered what pressure i was running that day. :?

Forgetting damage to tyres and comfort inside the vehicle for a minute........The biggest thing to remember is track damage by runnning highway pressures. You cant tell me you have never spun wheels trying to climb a loose rocky track with full tyre pressure.....because i have seen many people who have tried, then literally walked up the same section with lowered pressures 8-) But its a lot easier to drive the track and better on the the vehicle also to attempt it with lower pressures. You can try it for yourself if you like ;) Do a run with full pressure and then the same run at half that pressure.

Is your only reason for running highway pressure out on the tracks the fear of staking a sidewall?? I actually cant think of a single offroad situation where i would prefer to have higher pressures compared to 18psi.......rocks, sand, mud, slippery clay, ruts.......you will benefit in all those situations. I would say if you are going to stake a sidewall on a tyre.....it will happen regardless of pressure, thats just bad luck. Running a good quality LT tyre with 3 ply sidewall will help minimise any damage ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels