Which Tyre pressure do you run

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Which Tyre pressure do you run

Postby viking shippy on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:40 pm

:oops: low presures on the highway dddanger dddanger :cry:
their is a rule of thumb ive heard around the traps many times under 30 psi and under 80kph
you can also use the 4psi rule also;

:geek: Drive for about 1 hour – 30 mins minimum, but try not to go too much over 1 hour. Check the tyre pressures, if they have gone up by LESS than 4psi, your starting pressure was TOO HIGH, drop 2 psi now, and remember to use a 2psi lower start pressure tomorrow. If the tyre pressures are still not going up by 4psi after the next hour of driving, you still shouldn’t drop any more unless you change road surfaces etc, otherwise you could end up damaging tyres. If they still don’t go up, you need to start about 4psi lower tomorrow, and then see what happens.

If your tyre pressures go up by MORE THAN 4psi, your starting pressure was TOO LOW! Add more air NOW. To work out how much to add, subtract the pressure they should have ended up at from the end pressure you’ve just measured. Ie, they started at 20 psi & so should end up at 24 psi if all is correct, but they are now 29psi, therefore 29 minus 24 leaves 5. So add at least ½ of that 5 psi now; and use original start pressure plus your final add amount as tomorrows start point, ie. original start = 20 psi plus the 2.5 psi added today, start tomorrow on 22.5 psi.

You need to do that for every type of driving and road surface you drive on. It will take some time, but the end result is that you will learn very quickly to work out what pressure you should be running now, and what you should drop it to when you change road surface/driving needs, ie. 4wd rock crawling versus 4wd high speed good condition dirt with odd sandy patches! :lol:
viking shippy

Postby shotgun283 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Im still mucking around with tyre pressures, but the Bridgestone duellers ride best at 32 on highway but been told not to go under 34. On loose gravel / rock ive found 25 to be good and sand 20 has worked so far, softer dry sand id drop more.
LIFE'S TO SHORT
shotgun283

Air Pressure

Postby veight on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:48 pm

:D :D The Gibb River Road trip is now over. Pictures etc when i return home.
My Question is i have new Cooper AT3's is 265 70 17 What air pressure do others run in there tyres ? On road / off road.
+ I think my tray has moved a few cm closer to the back of the cab as the canopy now rubs on the back window, Can anyone tell me how to move it back. Presuming there is 4 bolts or so & it should slide back.
Lets hope the bigger tyres don't hurt the fuel figures too much.
Cheers Matthew
veight

Re: Air Pressure

Postby Lovethatcar on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:59 pm

38 psi on road. Graveled dirt road situation depending 25-30 psi.
Lovethatcar

Postby fridgie on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:05 pm

Maxxis Bighorns or Bridgestone 694's

44psi on road 16psi offroad (low range) or around 20-24psi if only doing high range.

On road pressure is a little bumpy but I have found it gives good tyre life and feel for me.

Most guys on here are around 36psi on road and 16-20psi offroad.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby daryn on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:09 pm

veight wrote::D :D The Gibb River Road trip is now over. Pictures etc when i return home.
My Question is i have new Cooper AT3's is 265 70 17 What air pressure do others run in there tyres ? On road / off road.
+ I think my tray has moved a few cm closer to the back of the cab as the canopy now rubs on the back window, Can anyone tell me how to move it back. Presuming there is 4 bolts or so & it should slide back.
Cheers Matthew

Try some of these too:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/search.php?keywords=%2Bair+pressure&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Im also merging this with another thread in the tyre wheel section.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby joelzo on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:09 pm

Nexen AT2 265/75/16 on road 34 front and about 28 in the rear, unless im doing a long highway trip ill up the rear a bit more.
hmmm 255 character limit hey...
joelzo

Postby mIwoo on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:48 pm

fridgie wrote:Maxxis Bighorns or Bridgestone 694's

44psi on road 16psi offroad (low range) or around 20-24psi if only doing high range.

On road pressure is a little bumpy but I have found it gives good tyre life and feel for me.

thanks for the info there fridgie.. getting some bighorns fitted next week.. will try those figures. might experiment with the on road pressures a bit though.. sound a little high to me, and might be a bit 'bumpy' as you said.. especially as most of the time i don't carry much weight around town. going away is a different story of course.

got until next wed (fitment day) to decide which bighorn i want... 762 or 764... hmmm.... arghhh.... decisions decisions..
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby shotgun283 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:11 am

veight wrote::D :D The Gibb River Road trip is now over. Pictures etc when i return home.
Cheers Matthew

do you run air bags mate, if the canopy is rubbing on the back window some have had trouble with bent chassis, hope this isnt the case.
LIFE'S TO SHORT
shotgun283

Postby al coholic on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:38 am

veight wrote:My Question is i have new Cooper AT3's is 265 70 17 What air pressure do others run in there tyres ? On road / off road.

are you sure it's not just the canopy that has slid forward?? More likely to move than the whole tub I would of thought......canopies are essentially only clamped on to the top of the tub ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby veight on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:28 pm

No airbags fitted.
I will take the canopy off tomorrow . I was thinking the tub may have moved as when the arb canopy was fitted you drill bolts through the mounting plates so the canopy doesn't move. But i have had 2000km to think about the tub moving & it just doesn't seem to make sense ! :|
veight

Postby viking shippy on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:39 pm

I have an arb canopy and it has over an inch of room on my ml they need plenty of room as in extreme flexing or nosediving as I did .
the top corner of the tray can put a dent in the panel
some pics of the rubbbing might help us here
viking shippy

Postby viking shippy on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Oh use search ie canopy rubbing on body and chassis flex
you will find some info
I can hear Darren coming to merge this thread lol...
viking shippy

Postby har05l on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:04 pm

mIwoo wrote:
fridgie wrote:Maxxis Bighorns or Bridgestone 694's

thanks for the info there fridgie.. getting some bighorns fitted next week.. will try those figures. might experiment with the on road pressures a bit though.. sound a little high to me, and might be a bit 'bumpy' as you said.. especially as most of the time i don't carry much weight around town. going away is a different story of course.

got until next wed (fitment day) to decide which bighorn i want... 762 or 764... hmmm.... arghhh.... decisions decisions..

I've run my bighorns at 35psi on road and 18psi offroad regardless if it is high or low range. I've traveled 60k km's so far and rotate every 10-15k km's. I still have between 5-6.5mm left so should get at least another 10k out of them.

At 35psi the on road feel is good and the tread has worn evenly :P . These muddies I rate highly in all road conditions and will purchase set number 2 soon 8-)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tall Man on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:02 pm

I've just hit 94,000 in my GLX-R on the original HTs since new in 2010 and are up for a new set. Almost all highway driving for work. I'd say there is a bit less then half tread depth left when comparing to the un-used spare. both the fronts have flogged out on the inside only and have worn small flat spots. Is this type of wear from incorrect pressure or just alinement?
Tall Man

Postby bluey0_0 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:51 pm

mickey thompson ATZ 265/70/17"
highway = 38 PSI
Mud = 18-22 never got bogged, got great mileage.

Khumo Muddies 265/75/16"
Street = 44 PSI
highway = 40PSI (because of tyre shudder) ((or tailshaft/driveline shudder as some people on here call it))
mud = 38 PSI and never get bogged, and ordinary mileage.
bluey0_0

Postby mIwoo on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Maxxis MT 764 245/75R16
on road: 38 PSI when cold
off road: 25 when cold, adjust as required!
I must say.. these tyres very rarely actually need to be aired down to get anywhere. they are brilliant off road.
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby shortSteve on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:57 pm

D697 265/75/16
highway: 38psi cold f & r, always have 200kgish minimum in the tub, plus canopy, f & r bars and roof racks

sand: 15psi starting point. Its soft on the local beaches, have run as low as 8psi to get through previously, 12 to 15 works well with little strain on the vehicle

dirt: 25-28psi seems to work, giving good grip over rocky or clay ground, good ride over rough track and allowing plenty of flex in the tyre over sticks, rocks or anything else to cause damage. Haven't done much mud work...
shortSteve

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:11 pm

94k! Wow...you must drive like a granny Tall Man.

My originals were shagged at 70k with easy driving.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Chef_Dave on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Tall Man wrote:I've just hit 94,000 in my GLX-R on the original HTs since new in 2010 and are up for a new set. Almost all highway driving for work. I'd say there is a bit less then half tread depth left when comparing to the un-used spare. both the fronts have flogged out on the inside only and have worn small flat spots. Is this type of wear from incorrect pressure or just alinement?

Could be pressure related. Could also be your suspension is shot? 94k on stock suspension could be a record on this site! My new Maxxis bighorns started to do that when I added a bullbar and winch to front of car. Will be keeping a close eye on them now I've upgraded suspension.
I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
Chef_Dave

Postby snowman on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:13 pm

shortSteve wrote:D697 265/75/16
highway: 38psi cold f & r, always have 200kgish minimum in the tub, plus canopy, f & r bars and roof racks

sand: 15psi starting point. Its soft on the local beaches, have run as low as 8psi to get through previously, 12 to 15 works well with little strain on the vehicle

dirt: 25-28psi seems to work, giving good grip over rocky or clay ground, good ride over rough track and allowing plenty of flex in the tyre over sticks, rocks or anything else to cause damage. Haven't done much mud work...

I agree with this.

I would add that for reasonable 4 wheeling i usually go straight to about 17-18 PSI (hot).

also don't forget if you 'wheel' straight from your campsite in the morning air down far more than these pressures if your tyres are cold.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tony222@bigpond.com on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:23 pm

I have the GLXR with Goodrich A/T 265/65/17 and was told by Bob Jane t-mart to run them at 40psi :D
tony222@bigpond.com

Postby Earlyninja on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:27 am

Chef_Dave wrote:
Tall Man wrote:I've just hit 94,000 in my GLX-R on the original HTs since new in 2010 and are up for a new set. Almost all highway driving for work. I'd say there is a bit less then half tread depth left when comparing to the un-used spare. both the fronts have flogged out on the inside only and have worn small flat spots. Is this type of wear from incorrect pressure or just alinement?

Could be pressure related. Could also be your suspension is shot? 94k on stock suspension could be a record on this site! My new Maxxis bighorns started to do that when I added a bullbar and winch to front of car. Will be keeping a close eye on them now I've upgraded suspension.

worn center tread only is from too high pressure, worn outside tread only is from too low pressure. Feathered tread wear or one sided wear is from alignment issue. Bald/flat spots from binding brakes or inefficient shock absorbers.

Does that sound about right?

I have a bit of everything, plus a slow puncture in the rear passenger side. The front left has worn outer treads and bald spots and its on 44psi!!!
Earlyninja

Postby shortSteve on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Worn insides can be from either poor alignment or vary sagged front suspension. At 94000km, you have done well! Would be interesting to see what your suspension heights are like if you wouldn't mind posting distances from wheel centre to underside of wheelarch/flare?
As for the flat spots, I had a my12 Challenger that developed a bad drive line resonance shortly after purchase, that got progressively worse until I traded it on the triton at about 34k km's. The standard tyres had developed "flatish spots" as my local tyre guy described, inconsistencies in tyre manufacture and rims causing a constant "out of balance" rotation making excessive wear in a few areas on the tyre surface, much like how corrugations are formed on the road. The amount was so small he could balance them fine, but the resonance was still there after. Ended up rotating tyre on rim a bit and that helped a lil (changed the frequency of resonance). Had I changed rims and tyres, most of the issue probably would have gone, but cabin frequency noises were always going to be an issue with that car :(.
sS
shortSteve

Postby arangie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:35 pm

2011 GLX-R with factory springs, 4mm spacer on the top of coils at front to raise front a tad. KONI Heavey track fitted by rallyArt. got 65 thousand K out of the STD HT brigdestone.

Just fitted
LT 245/70-17 BF Goodridge Ruggered. Bob Janes told me 40psi however BF have emailed with 31 F/R unladened 34F / 46R full GVM.

Playing around at the moment with pressure, heading towards 34F and 32R for general running about. I drive a lot of highway, but I also dry gravel roads around home, and the back dances about too much when empty.
arangie

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels