Front Swaybar Upgrade

Front Swaybar Upgrade

Postby CCM on Wed May 27, 2009 12:49 pm

Being the anal guy I can be - I wanted better turn in around the city and better confidence with less body roll out on the highways and hills... Solution???

I've had a front swaybar custom made to suit as a factory replacement. Factory bar is 25.44 mm while I've managed to squeeze in a 30mm unit. I've hand fabricated some mounts to suit generic swaybar saddles and bushes to suit for now but have already special ordered some bushes that will fit in teh OEM saddles to suit the larger bar.

Maiden voyage around the city late last week instantly felt much less 'truck' like - Even though the Triton is already quite good in this department, it is again improved. The best results were out in the hills between Bathurst and Orange where I had a ball! Far less speed needed to be wiped of to have confidence in and out of big corners making me feel like 'Atkinson' of the SUV world :D

Anyone else walked down this path or am I the onyl one being picky about body roll????
I bought a new Turbo Diesel Ute to tow my two toys, now the Ute takes all my time n money! crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
CCM

Re: Front Swaybar Upgrade

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed May 27, 2009 12:57 pm

How about a steering dampner? Can you suss out some info on that for me! Steering shake is a bitch with these big tyres!
ML-VR08

Postby subi_man on Wed May 27, 2009 1:05 pm

+1 for a damper.

I'm not keen to stiffen up my Triton, BUT I've been looking for a rear swaybar upgrade for my Kluger - who made your custom one for you?
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Wed May 27, 2009 1:07 pm

What does this sway bar do to front end articulation? I would assume stiffer means less travel but need to ask as I don't know. :oops: Also, what suspension are you running? The factory crap had huge body roll but the Dobinsons constant load front has limited it very well.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed May 27, 2009 1:30 pm

Yeah what greedy said. My turn in improved remarkably with new suspension.

I noticed the steering shake with Hickos big hoops on when I drove it too ML. Wasn't bad but could feel it after driving mine around with the litle boys tyres.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed May 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Come drive mine :shock: :o
ML-VR08

Postby Buzzy on Wed May 27, 2009 2:56 pm

+ 1 again for dampner
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby CCM on Thu May 28, 2009 7:27 am

subi_man wrote:+1 for a damper.

I'm not keen to stiffen up my Triton, BUT I've been looking for a rear swaybar upgrade for my Kluger - who made your custom one for you?

I deal with a wholesale fabricator who deals with a number of the 'retail' swaybars producers - If you send it to me I can get it sorted for you though... Otherwise it can be a bit of a pain.
I bought a new Turbo Diesel Ute to tow my two toys, now the Ute takes all my time n money! crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
CCM

Postby CCM on Thu May 28, 2009 7:35 am

Greedy wrote:What does this sway bar do to front end articulation? I would assume stiffer means less travel but need to ask as I don't know. :oops: Also, what suspension are you running? The factory crap had huge body roll but the Dobinsons constant load front has limited it very well.

Front end articulation is slightly less with the uprated swaybar - But negligeable in reality with a IFS car - The majortiy of its ability is in the live axle anyways. Seperate to that I've spent some time on and off road with the swaybar disconnected and if you were looking to do some serisou tracks an allen key and a 17mm spanner fix it - I'd even be doing this with the OEM bar...

I'm running factory everything else! I wanted to improve resistance to body roll without making the car significantly harder (stiffer) out on the trails for now which upgrding the springs does instantly. While I personally don't specifically want extra hieght once I start modifying things, I do want to keep it as soft as possible (springs) while maximising shock absorbers ablity and travel - Hence why I swapped the swaybar as this effect absolutely nothing else except for body roll.
CCM

Postby CCM on Thu May 28, 2009 7:39 am

ML-VR08 wrote:How about a steering dampner? Can you suss out some info on that for me! Steering shake is a bitch with these big tyres!

I've never found a need for steerin dampers but I'm a shocker for running quite narrow tyres - I've never got into rock climbing of diggin myself out of mud wholes. I run my own (and manage a few other) Cross Country Rally cars (not off road racers' I must point out...) and they're never in need of BIG wide mud terrains tyres as Heavy side walls and a A/T tread are what we aim for...

That being said I'm sure there are a number of steering damber solutions for those who do need it... Has anyone spent time looking into these and suitability with the IFS?
CCM

Return to Suspension