Ride Heights

Re: Ride Heights

Postby Dylan 191 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:59 pm

That front spring looks like it is almost collapsed , coils near to touching :shock:
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:08 pm

No, that's how it is. It took some serious pumping on the spring compressor to get it compressed enough to fit into the shockies and had to put a torsion bar into the lower arm to get it down enough to fit the combined unit in.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Buzzy on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:10 pm

It must be a harsh ride?
Doesnt allow for much up-travel
Shocks look nice and beefy 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Dylan 191 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:12 pm

As long as your happy with it
Shocks look real nice 8-)
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby jop on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:20 pm

I have the lovells shocks with the spacer in as well, with efs springs.
It started out as a 40mm lift, but has now sagged back to stock and the ride is nasty, i think the springs were for a standard triton - not barred up.
I'm going to fit the lovells springs to get it matched properly and hopefully restore the lift and ride quality.

I rate the lovells gear, the full kit has a shudder repair option :lol:
Well, no one else offers it.

I got a quote today on a full coilover setup with radflo tunable shocks from extreme motorsport - close enough to 3k, but thats with the shocks valved to your vehicle
Click to view larger picture
http://www.extrememotorsports.com.au/radflo/mitsubishi-triton-suspension-kit.html
jop

Postby whitetrit on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:43 pm

picked mine up a week ago (ML09)
No mod's as yet
Both sides measured as follows......

Front - 535
Rear - 585
whitetrit

Postby daryn on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:59 pm

mpettinella wrote:picked mine up a week ago (ML09)
No mod's as yet
Both sides measured as follows......

Front - 535
Rear - 585

Reading between the lines, are you saying that this is the standard height for your one week old Triton ?

If so, also notice what I consistently say is that magic 50mm between front and rear.

And for those that dont do proper measurements but just say "I got a 2" lift on mine the other day...", if you dont have 585mm front and 635mm rear, YOU DID NOT GET A 2" LIFT. (sorry just a bugbear of mine, psychological problem I think).
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:11 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Stage II of the unplanned suspension upgrade saw new Lovells shock absorbers installed today (yes, the day after the Brindies trip and the day after I reshaped the sidesteps to a nice even convex shape looking for some challenges for the next trip).

Anyway the Lovells fronts have an optional spacer that instals below the spring seat and is supposed to give 15mm lift.

Heights before were with Ridepro front springs and standard everything else. The springs caused the standard shocks to give up the ghost, or maybe just hastened the inevitable.

Before:
FL - 545
FR - 545

After:
FL - 560
FR - 565
RR - 580
RL - 580

Ride is quite a bit firmer, but not uncomfortably so and handling is an awesome improvement. Seasick tablets no longer required.

Sorry Now, I keep coming back to this at odd times in my head, serious, anyway, do your coils allow your arms to touch the Upper bump stop, I am worried that they are limiting your upward travel which is, dare I say, more important than the downward travel and can really effect your ride and handling.

Please put me out of my misery, serious, this has me worried...:)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:37 am

Daryn, you can see from the photo that the space between the coils at the top is more than in the middle. I haven't tried to put it in a situation where it's on the bump stop but it looks like there's enough although, I admit, only just. I'll monitor and post results.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:01 am

The coils are my old ones.
Mind you I never used the additional circlip available on the bilstein shocks. Which would change things a bit.
If you look close there is a fair spacing at the top of the coil, its the bottom thats tightly wound.

The coils flexed up very good, and I never got any binding.
I sold them as I wanted additional lift- as these springs were rated as 30mm with bar.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks Selwyn, even with the stuffed shocks I didn't notice any problem while in the Brindies on the weekend (except for bounciness and corrugations on corners were interesting to say the least). I'm more than happy with the ride at the front now - it's the rear which is a bit harsh when empty. Thinking a leaf removal and airbags would be the solution there. I took the opportunity to put the standard wheels and tyres back on while the car was on the hoist. Compared to the 265's it looks silly and there's less give in the tyres over bumps.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby jop on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:46 am

5th, i went to see a suspension guru about my ride quality, old digger raved on about the original lovells being great, had a look over the truck and said my front lovells are hitting their inbuilt bumpstops as the front springs had sagged. he said the build quality is still there in these new ones
Putting king springs in next week.
jop

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:56 am

That's what my research indicated too, Jop. Any shock absorber that comes with a 70,000km warranty must have the confidence of the manufacturer.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Wallace on Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Sorry Chris but you will end up with Spring bind looking at the shots.........FFT ;)
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby ML-VR08 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:49 pm

EFS 3 Year of 100000kms.... thats why i run them...great shock
ML-VR08

Postby Dirty_Ute on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:53 am

NowForThe5th wrote:No, that's how it is. It took some serious pumping on the spring compressor to get it compressed enough to fit into the shockies and had to put a torsion bar into the lower arm to get it down enough to fit the combined unit in.

Maxi track coils look exactly like these, realy tight coils

I know 2 people who put a set of MAXi track front stuts and coils in fron tof ML triton. Same thing, took some serios work to compress to get stut in and broke the first machine.

Results after 2 days, i stut let go, hit slight hole and because it was so tight it tore lower holding plate on strut. Cahnged back to originals.

Other vehicle 2 months later Coil bound, Changed to TJM.

I fit set of the TJM heavy duty coils 30mm cause i got winch and heavy bar and Gold series struts in mine and there were fitted like a treat compared to them 20mm liff MAXi tracks.

I just can't see enough room for travel. but there would be no way i'd go bush with them, like to see what happens it u hit big whole at 100km/h with that limited travel.

Good luck anyway, might prove us wrong,
Dirty_Ute

Postby al coholic on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:15 pm

These are my ride heights...............remember i do have an alloy tray on the back and aftermarket flares rather than mitsu ones on the front, so measurements may be a little bit different to the normal.

Stock heights with all accesories fitted and no rear load.
FR - 545mm
FL - 540mm
RR - 585mm
RL - 585mm

With all my tools and gear loaded in the back

RR - 545mm :o
RL - 540mm :shock:

With 2" Dobinson lift kit, constant load front and rear, and fully loaded with tools etc.
FR - 600mm
FL - 595mm
RR - 640mm
RL - 635mm And I do get a little extra height in the rear when unloaded, which would be around that magic 50mm mark that Daryn refers to.

But as you can see, the left side of the truck has always sat a fraction lower than the right, even when unloaded, just a charachteristic perhaps. I have always measured in the exact same spot (garage on concrete slab) so not too sure why this is, but doesnt seem to affect the ute in anyway.

Cheers Ben.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby daryn on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:53 pm

al coholic wrote:
But as you can see, the left side of the truck has always sat a fraction lower than the right, even when unloaded, just a charachteristic perhaps. I have always measured in the exact same spot (garage on concrete slab) so not too sure why this is, but doesnt seem to affect the ute in anyway.

Cheers Ben.

I have always wondered this too, is it anything to do with right hand drive, driver always on the right side ???
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby al coholic on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:13 pm

The only thing i just thought of.....which is probably the reason why the left sits 5mm lower than the drivers side is the main battery is on the passenger side under the bonnet, and my aux battery is behind the back seat on the passenger side too. There is a fair weight in both those items.

Im positive the stock measurements were before i put the second battery in tho........
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby daryn on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:16 pm

We are all basically the same, left side lower. Mines 5mm and battery did not effect it when i took them out whilst playing.
Last edited by daryn on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby al coholic on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:20 pm

Must just be a "Characteristic of the car" then........or have i been hanging around the Mitsu service department too much :lol: :lol: :lol:
al coholic

Postby daryn on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Ken at Ultimate told me that it was meant to be that way, I did neglect to quiz him why though. My 30k is coming up so I amy be doing the same soon, not looking forward to it. :(
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby sheepo on Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:40 pm

hi just had ultimate suspension fitted today were art you measuring from?
Peter
08 VR
sheepo

Postby daryn on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:06 pm

sheepo wrote:hi just had ultimate suspension fitted today were art you measuring from?

Centre of star on hub to bottom of guard.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby al coholic on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:06 pm

Your measurements should be from the underside of the flares to the centre of the rim. Cheers ;)
al coholic

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension