Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:57 am

sholm23 wrote:I have a stock MN triton and I was looking into new suspension for it. I want to get 50mm raised Bilstein shocks for the front and leave the back as it is. The front is currently 50mm+ lower then the back and the front is where I want the extra height and support. Theoretically this would level out the car, give the front the much needed clearance and make the rig look tougher.

Do many people do this to level out the car or should I just go all out and buy a whole kit?

Buy the whole kit. The rear should be 30mm to 50mm higher than the front. It allows for load carrying and it effects braking and handling apparently.

Depending on current height (centre rim to guard) you most likely won't be able to go 50mm above current MN height. You will have the droop stops touching the suspension control arm.
L200Shogun

Postby sholm23 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:44 pm

Thanks for the advice shogun, I'll look into whole kits. Maybe even 1" rear lift and 40mm front or something.

I only ever carry about 200kg max every couple months up camping and most of that weight towards the front of the tray or on the roof. Rest of the time it's empty. Reason I'm trying to half lift the car also is because I want more clearance at the front for driving in sand but don't want the back any higher. I load bikes in and out of the back and it's at a nice level.
sholm23

Postby snowman on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:56 pm

sholm23 wrote:I have a stock MN triton and I was looking into new suspension for it. I want to get 50mm raised Bilstein shocks for the front and leave the back as it is. The front is currently 50mm+ lower then the back and the front is where I want the extra height and support. Theoretically this would level out the car, give the front the much needed clearance and make the rig look tougher.

Do many people do this to level out the car or should I just go all out and buy a whole kit?

MN's had a front spring design change. not sure exactly when but i think the MY14 model.

so if you have a newer one you probably wont want a 40mm lift.

so it helps it you are more specific on your car model / build.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sholm23 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:58 pm

2015/MY14 MN triton. I believe they are pretty high standard? The back is pretty high but the front not so much. No bullbar or anything but the lower control arms are dead level. I believe I could lift the front without too much stress on the CV's.

If I put in a standard 2" lift kit I doubt the back would go up at all. But I do want new shocks to improve handling.
sholm23

Postby snowman on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:08 pm

sholm23 wrote:2015/MY14 MN triton. I believe they are pretty high standard? The back is pretty high but the front not so much. No bullbar or anything but the lower control arms are dead level. I believe I could lift the front without too much stress on the CV's.

If I put in a standard 2" lift kit I doubt the back would go up at all. But I do want new shocks to improve handling.

a 2" lift can be misleading.

what are your hub center to u/s of flares measurements? you will see these stated in the relevant threads here on this forum a lot.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sholm23 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:14 pm

FR: 530, FL: 540
RR: 580, RL: 590.

Not on perfectly level ground but that's the heights with nothing in the car which is how it's run 95% of the time. I'll go compare that to the ride heights thread.
sholm23

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:32 pm

Front 570mm is considered a 2" lift. In the ride height thread 570 to 585 seems common for a 2" lift (from memory). 585 must be getting close to the droop stop touching the control arm. My MN was 560mm standard.
L200Shogun

Postby sholm23 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:43 pm

I moved the car to a different spot and remeasured and got the same in the front but 590-600 in the rear.

I would assume with a standard 2" lift in the front (not a HD spring etc.) It would be between 570-580 in the front. Combine that with 590-600 in the back and it should be sweet. Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep looking through the ride height thread and other peoples utes and make a decision.
sholm23

Postby DCDAD on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:36 pm

Hello people's ... I'm curious if someone has done this... I'm thinking of putting on a steel bar ( with winch down the track ) .. I can't be bothered taking out perfectly good struts from the front , and I'm happy with the height ( no need to make it any higher putting bikes in the back ) but realise the standard springs are just not going to cut the mustard on the front ... ( and to be honest , I don't want to have to spend money on the rear springs just because I upped the height of the front )
So that leads me to ask , what ( if someone has done this themselves ) springs do I need to use
It wasn't me , Your Honour! :lol:
DCDAD

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:25 pm

The springs will sag a bit but the shocks will give way very quickly, since they're not made to control all that extra mass. Happened to me. I initially put some heavier duty coils in to lift the front back up but then the shocks died. Replaced the shocks but then the rear leaves sagged. Gave up and replaced with Ultimate and at that time had only done 8000km.

I'm fairly sure that Ultimate have some extra length coils that will lift the front back up but not be as heavy duty as the ones I used so you may be able to keep the shocks for a while longer. Ultimately ( :P ) you're going to have to bite the bullet though since the standard shocks are very weak. Once you start adding extra weight you really need to look at the whole package - if you just do the front (coils and shocks) then the rear will feel spongy while if you just do the coils then the front will float. Catch 22.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Random Suspension Questions

Postby al coholic on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:26 pm

DCDAD wrote:Hello people's ... I'm curious if someone has done this... I'm thinking of putting on a steel bar ( with winch down the track ) .. I can't be bothered taking out perfectly good struts from the front , and I'm happy with the height ( no need to make it any higher putting bikes in the back ) but realise the standard springs are just not going to cut the mustard on the front ... ( and to be honest , I don't want to have to spend money on the rear springs just because I upped the height of the front )
So that leads me to ask , what ( if someone has done this themselves ) springs do I need to use

If your front springs are still fairly new, they "might" be ok with the weight of just the bar on for a while, you'd just have to see how it goes. I see plenty of stock height Tritons getting around with front bars on

Definitely by the time you want to put the winch in, you'll need some better gear under the front end.

You can put heavier duty standard height springs in for sure, just because you go aftermarket suspension, doesn't mean you need a lift.

If you wanted to speak to a company like Ultimate, they'll be able to tailor a package to your exact needs, even if it's only the front end for now ;) You'll find your rear leaves will sag even if you drive around with no weight in the back :roll: So it's probably more cost effective to do the whole vehicle correctly the first time ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby DCDAD on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:13 pm

al coholic wrote:If your front springs are still fairly new, they "might" be ok with the weight of just the bar on for a while, you'd just have to see how it goes. I see plenty of stock height Tritons getting around with front bars on

Definitely by the time you want to put the winch in, you'll need some better gear under the front end.

You can put heavier duty standard height springs in for sure, just because you go aftermarket suspension, doesn't mean you need a lift.

If you wanted to speak to a company like Ultimate, they'll be able to tailor a package to your exact needs, even if it's only the front end for now ;) You'll find your rear leaves will sag even if you drive around with no weight in the back :roll: So it's probably more cost effective to do the whole vehicle correctly the first time ;)

Hey thanks for the reply Al coholic , everything you explained makes perfect sense .. Wasn't aware the rear would sag regardless of weight... But great information ... Thanks very much for taking the time to reply :D
It wasn't me , Your Honour! :lol:
DCDAD

Postby Trentd on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:39 pm

Anyone know much about body lifts? I currently have 2 inche suspension lift, and want to possibly do a body lift just in the rear? And strut spacers in the front? I don't mind a gap between the rock sliders but the front between the bullbar would be a pain.. Would this option be plausible or am I better off doing a body lift all round?
Trentd

Postby snakesoup on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:42 pm

mate ya have to do it all round if your going to do it, just doing the rear is not an option...;-)
snakesoup

Postby Trentd on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:48 pm

That's a kick in the lower region, reckon it will be costly to have my front bar rock sliders and two bar cut and re welded to fit better?
Trentd

Postby snakesoup on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:51 pm

why do you want the body lift? just for looks.?? not worth it in my opinion, especially if all your bar work is already on and need to be modified, a lot of stuffing around...
snakesoup

Postby Trentd on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:56 pm

snakesoup wrote:why do you want the body lift? just for looks.?? not worth it in my opinion, especially if all your bar work is already on and need to be modified, a lot of stuffing around...
Yeah basically just for looks, I don't struggle too much with the 2" lift out in the bush! Was merely just to " toughen up " the look haha, won't bother about it then, maybe down the track I'll do a 1" body lift and just get a bit of pinch weld or something and try neaten the front up, who knows! Maybe when the new muddy's come in I'll be happy! Saw a big triton rolling down in front of me today when I was in the work van! Couldn't compare it to my car but looked a lot higher!
Trentd

Postby edb on Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:49 pm

Got sagging springs in the rear of my MN. Was thinking of replacing with a EFS 20mm lift. Just wanted to know does anyone have a measurement for standard height (not sagging), either bump stop to contact plate or other measurement to check how much sag have now compared to new standard.
edb

Postby dougie123 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:17 pm

edb wrote:Got sagging springs in the rear of my MN. Was thinking of replacing with a EFS 20mm lift. Just wanted to know does anyone have a measurement for standard height (not sagging), either bump stop to contact plate or other measurement to check how much sag have now compared to new standard.

Dude your going to get flamed on this forum if you don't use the directory or search functions. Not by me, have a go on the below link.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=505
dougie123

Postby kxboss on Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:43 am

I have been told by suspension place you measure from the centre of the wheel hub to the highest point of the wheel arch, no good if on rear or tray back.

you could try a helper spring several makes available ironman has them for about $130, I have ran them before on othe cars for towing boat stops the sag and improves body roll cheap DIY easy install a spanner AND RULER OR TAPE MEASURE IS ALL THATS NEEDED.

cheap lift and sway bar
kxboss

Postby edb on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:09 pm

dougie123 wrote:
edb wrote:Got sagging springs in the rear of my MN. Was thinking of replacing with a EFS 20mm lift. Just wanted to know does anyone have a measurement for standard height (not sagging), either bump stop to contact plate or other measurement to check how much sag have now compared to new standard.

Dude your going to get flamed on this forum if you don't use the directory or search functions. Not by me, have a go on the below link.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=505

Thanks dougie123 that topic was exactly what I was looking for. Tried searching EFS and nothing came up hence my dumb post. Should have checked the index first. not sure why EFS does not come up because if search Ulitimate get plenty of results
edb

Postby explorer.dave on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:17 pm

edb wrote:
dougie123 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=505

Thanks dougie123 that topic was exactly what I was looking for. Tried searching EFS and nothing came up hence my dumb post. Should have checked the index first. not sure why EFS does not come up because if search Ulitimate get plenty of results

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7737#p144536

Have a read of this, it will explain the search function.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:25 pm

edb wrote:not sure why EFS does not come up because if search Ulitimate get plenty of results

Maybe you're asking questions about the wrong brand then
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby kxboss on Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:25 pm

try some load helper springs or half spings Ironman make some 130buck ten minute install
kxboss

Postby edb on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:40 pm

al coholic wrote:
edb wrote:not sure why EFS does not come up because if search Ulitimate get plenty of results

Maybe you're asking questions about the wrong brand then

Maybe I am from what I read on here Ultimate seem really good! Will check with Ultimate to see what they can offer but with shipping will probably be way over the budget. Have EFS on my Patrol and is brilliant, and is available to me at good rates so wanted to investigate for Triton to check others experiences.
edb

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension