Black smoke MN Triton

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Black smoke MN Triton

Postby gazman152 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:39 am

Hey guys. My 2013 MN is blowing black smoke when accelerating after each gear change. Not just a puff, a fair cloud that lingers on the road. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. I've already taken the following steps. Fuel supplier changed, new air filter, new fuel filter, secondary fuel filter added. Fuel system cleaner. Had its 30k service. Told the dealer. They said the MAF was loose on its housing and that they tightened the screws. It clearly wasn't that - it smoked the same after the service.
Mine is blanked. Is there a chance the egr blank is screwing with the air / fuel mix? I'm looking at getting Tonys mod and removing the blank. Any thoughts?
gazman152

Re: Black smoke MN Triton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:00 am

I would try taking the blank out and yes fit the resistor. If you get one with a switch (or add one yourself) you can experiment to see what difference it might make.

Have you cleaned the maf sensor? Add some lube to the prongs on the maf plug too.

With the resistor thing I'm hearing Tony may have been able to source some new plugs from OS so you might want to hold off a week or two for true plug and play.

Won't hurt to go blank less for that time.

Black smoke usually means too much fuel but you've addressed most of the obvious suspects.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby gazman152 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks Dave.

I'll check the sensor and wait on Tonys Mod. Do you use Maf sensor cleaner on those things?
gazman152

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:02 pm

Yep that's the stuff. Use it on the terminals in the plug too, can't really hurt and may clean them up a bit. Keep in mind the amber bulb you'll see in the sensor is the temp sensor (clean that too) but the actual maf thing is almost out of sight inside the tube bit of the fitting.

Cowboy Dave

Postby gazman152 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:04 pm

Just checked the MAF sensor. Looked spotless. I'll pull the blank out and see if it improves. Failing that, it's back to the dealer for a second look. Looking at the forum it doesn't appear to be a common problem. Hopefully it's nothing serious.
Thanks again Dave.
gazman152

Postby destorman on Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:56 pm

When mine did the black smoke thing it was not long after that it got the low speed bunny hops and with that the dealer did the manifold carbon build up, which fixed both issues. Have to check my paperwork but that was at around the 45,000k's mark (from memory)

Edit - went back and found this in one of my old posts:

engine light was coming on intermittently, and an odd 'surge' :( ... reported a 30k service, which seemed to fix it, but by 45k service the light was on, and surge had been back a couple of times ... reported again, they did the service and decided to check the manifold, under warranty ... surprise surprise there was carbon build up, so they fixed, replaced under warranty ... all good now
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:13 pm

Yeah I wondered about that but then he said he was running a blank so I figured he might not have any carbon buildup to speak of.

Cowboy Dave

Postby mattz on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:32 pm

Also give the pins in the maf sensor plug a bit of a tweak to make sure they are making a good contact.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:59 pm

This is a long shot in that usually it would produce different symptoms but you could remove the suction control valve and give it a bit of a clean and put it back in. Some have had success from rotating it 180 degrees on re-installing. The SCV usually produces surging though rather than black smoke.

Cowboy Dave

Postby gazman152 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:27 am

destorman wrote:When mine did the black smoke thing it was not long after that it got the low speed bunny hops and with that the dealer did the manifold carbon build up, which fixed both issues. Have to check my paperwork but that was at around the 45,000k's mark (from memory)

Edit - went back and found this in one of my old posts:

engine light was coming on intermittently, and an odd 'surge' :( ... reported a 30k service, which seemed to fix it, but by 45k service the light was on, and surge had been back a couple of times ... reported again, they did the service and decided to check the manifold, under warranty ... surprise surprise there was carbon build up, so they fixed, replaced under warranty ... all good now

The blank went in pretty soon after I purchased the ute so I'm assuming that there would be little or no carbon. I also run a provent. I'll pull the blank out today and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your replies guys.
gazman152

Postby gazman152 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:34 pm

The blank has been removed since my last post. No difference in the black smoke output with or without the blank. Dropped it into the dealer today. In went another two bottles of that potent Mitsubishi Fuel System Cleaner. Advised to wait another 1000 km to see what cleaner does. Next step - check injectors. Tonys mod is on the way too.
gazman152

Re: Black smoke MN Triton - Injectors ordered @ 30,0000

Postby gazman152 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:08 pm

Update on my smokey MN. 3 cans of fuel system cleaner didn't work as I suspected it wouldn't. At dealers today for 3rd and more extensive check. New injectors ordered and going in Monday. If I wanted to blow injectors I would have purchased a Hilux. They said it was a dirty fuel issue. I am fussy where I fill up and buy premium diesel when ever I can. Anyone else done their injectors this early. It's all under warranty but not happy :cry:
gazman152

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Pretty rare for injectors to go that early. Let's hope that actually fixes the problem.

Cowboy Dave

Re: Black smoke MN Triton - new injectors

Postby gazman152 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Pretty rare for injectors to go that early. Let's hope that actually fixes the problem.

It's fixed. New injectors in under warranty . And no more smoke! Dealer said it was as simple as 1 bad tank of fuel. I'm now running a secondary fuel filter so hopefully that helps. Be warned anyone not running one. I
gazman152

Postby srb on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:44 pm

gazman152 wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:Pretty rare for injectors to go that early. Let's hope that actually fixes the problem.

It's fixed. New injectors in under warranty . And no more smoke! Dealer said it was as simple as 1 bad tank of fuel. I'm now running a secondary fuel filter so hopefully that helps. Be warned anyone not running one. I

Wow done under warranty even though they blame bad fuel. Very lucky you have a good dealer.8-)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby N.T.TRITON on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:33 pm

What secondary filter are you running ,where did you install it.
N.T.TRITON
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gazman152 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:18 am

N.T.TRITON wrote:What secondary filter are you running ,where did you install it.

Fuel Manager Secondary Filter. It's a DIY kit inc bracket / hoses etc. Very easy install. Few threads on here detailing the system or go to dieselcare.com.au
gazman152

Return to Fuel Systems