Bad fuel economy

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Bad fuel economy

Postby BC4*4 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:57 pm

I bought the MAF spray and have cleaned it did not change anything this was over a month ago.
Have spoken today to the service guy at Sydney Mitsubishi and told him about the problem he asked me if the injectors were noisy he said he had other Tritons with noisy bad fuel economy problems. He said to re calibrate the injector pump, see if there have been any recorded errors, look at the version of my computer and re flash it, and put a bottle of the Mitsubishi fuel cleaner. This all happens next Tuesday hope it fixes it.
I will keep you posted on the results.
BC4*4

Postby BC4*4 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:45 am

Hi all
Has had the car back from Mitsubishi, no noticeable change in power, the injector noise has gone after they recalibrated the pump and adding the Mitsubishi fuel treatment.
I had turned the chip off because I have taken to the dealer and still not connected it back.
Have done an open road run to Katoomba and back and retuned 23lt per 100 km zeroing it at the start of the free way, almost no city driving.
Driving around town I still get between 9.9 - 10.1lt per 100km.
These numbers are using a Scan Gauge 2
BC4*4

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:31 am

is it a auto?
noticed some very disturbing trends having driven 4,000kms and that is that the torque convertor slips a gear at even a slight incline- or breating on the accelorator. Not good for fuel economy.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby BC4*4 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:53 pm

Yes it’s an auto
Someone else also said something similar that the torque converter is not locking in on the Hwy way.
Is there a way to test this?
BC4*4

Postby snowman on Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:52 pm

BC4*4 read here first.........

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6852&p=118753&hilit=auto#p118753

don't start me!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: (on the auto mate - not you) ;)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BC4*4 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi all
I have read the thread you suggested; I would like to ask if it’s the torque converter slipping what RPM should I have with STD tyres doing 100Kph to 110kph?
BC4*4

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:55 pm

about 2100-2200 from memory on mine which is a 5spd MN.

the tacho is a bit out compared to the RPM on the scangauge but not too drastically.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby BC4*4 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:49 am

Thanks that’s what I am getting also; I will have to find someone who knows diesel CDI and seek help,
Mitsubishi I think have no idea or just don’t want to know about it all they are interested is in sales
And not service.
BC4*4

HELP - shocking fuel economy

Postby Big Damo on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:13 am

One of the reasons I went for a Triton was the great advertised fuel economy figures. I'm not expecting to get that good, but nearish would be nice.

Since I brought my triton home stock standard (apart from 245/75 16 ATRs) I was getting only around 12.5 L/100 kms. The canopy didn't change that at all. Just had a new bullbar fitted around 20 kms ago, so that's not influenced anythign yet. It's now done 1600 kms

The scary part is I just got 13.4 L/100 kms after filling up an hour ago. That's with really conservative driving, around town. Still got a lift, side steps and rear bar to go, and even then we'll be towing a 1 tonne camper on holidays and with a kayak on the roof. At this rate I'll be expecting 16s and on my planned Simpson desert trip I may not even have enough fuel to get across with my 150L aux tank setup.

I'm almost feeling sick at how little range I'm going to have and how many thousands of extra dollars the fuel is going to cost me at this rate Selling the vehicle is not an option (it's on a novated lease) and I was going to keep it until after the 10 yr drivetrain warranty expired but the extra fuel will hugely outweigh the tax benefits I'm getting from the lease.

I know that diesels can benefit from being run in, but people here have been getting in the 8s on a brand new stock car. It seems to be running fine from what I can tell. My 99 TD Jackaroo used to get these figures and it had roughly the same power and torque figures.

Please help me with any suggestions. It's going into Mitsubishi for its 1500 km this week, but I'd like to be armed with some knowledge or suggestions prior. I can see this economy leading to some serious mental health problems. :?

Cheers

Desperately seeking answers!
Last edited by Big Damo on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Damo

Re: HELP - shocking fuel economy

Postby aids84 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:30 am

I'm guessing it's a new vehicle, auto or manual??

The different tyres will throw your odometer readings out a little bit, so you think you're doing less kms than you actually are per tank. Still it seems like you are using way too much fuel

Make sure your tyre pressures aren't too low, make sure there is a bit of freeplay in the handbrake.

Other than that i'd be telling your dealer about your issues. A SQL (Small quantity injection learn) at your service will probably help as well as making sure there are no codes logged and the latest software has been installed.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mIwoo on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:45 am

In my experience SQL's do jack s**t for improving fuel economy!
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby Big Damo on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:12 pm

aids84 wrote:I'm guessing it's a new vehicle, auto or manual??

The different tyres will throw your odometer readings out a little bit, so you think you're doing less kms than you actually are per tank. Still it seems like you are using way too much fuel

Make sure your tyre pressures aren't too low, make sure there is a bit of freeplay in the handbrake.

Other than that i'd be telling your dealer about your issues. A SQL (Small quantity injection learn) at your service will probably help as well as making sure there are no codes logged and the latest software has been installed.

Yep sorry should have pointed out it's brand new. Automatic. I'm pretty sure they quote 9.3 L/100 kms for the auto GLX. I'm using nearly 50% more fuel than that.

Tyres have brought the speedo to only 1 - 2% (when the speedo says 60 I'm actually doing 59) so that's not really an issue.

Tyre pressures are at 36 psi all round. Will get them to check the handbrake but it all feels and operates fine as far as I can tell.

I'll suggest the SQL. I'm also intending on having an ecutek job done (tune only) - I'll wait until Mitsubish can sort it out at stock tune first just in case, but as a last resort Ecutek may be able to help.

Thanks for the reply and I'm open to all suggestions!
Big Damo

Postby Notso on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:05 pm

Around town it makes a huge difference if you stick the boot in. Not so obvious on the highway.

Anyhow as others have said, give it a while to settle down and don't try to beat the V8 utes off the mark.
Notso

Postby killa on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Mine's roughly 2l/100lm better now at 35,000km than it was at new.
Best thing I did was get the tappets adjusted and then adding the Uni Filter 100km later, sound is a lot louder with this air filter but it's worth +/- 0.5l/100km.
Cheers,

Cal
killa

Postby odie602r on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi was the same as you Big Damo - went for the Triton because of advertised economy in combination with very solid power/torque numbers. Mine has also been one that has used at least 30% + more fuel than advertised. It will be said that driving style plays a big part in economy, but regardless of how I drive (and I've tried many different things for two week durations to compare) I cannot get close to 8-9L/100, especially around town.

Mine's currently done almost 11,000kms too. Will be asking for further investigation at 15000kms service. But, the reality seems to be that some people on here can't get OVER 9L/100kms regardless of how they drive it, and some people can't get UNDER 12L/100kms regardless of how they drive it.

FYI, I'm currently getting about 12L on purely around town driving, and about 9.4L on highway @100kmh. That's with a ChipIT chip, EGR blank, MAP mod (one way valve) and Unifilter.

Interestingly, I've gone back to the factory tune this week just to do a 'stock' comparison to my custom chipIT tune. Factory tune around town (only) yielded 12.5L/100kms compared to the week prior to chipIT around town only at 12L/100kms. Must admit that I'm pleased that the extra oomph chipIT gives yields better economy than the factory tune. It's just still 20% higher than the quoted city cycle economy...
Last edited by odie602r on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Shocking fuel economy :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: Wait until you average 19L/100 on a 4000km trip towing a camper ;) then come talk to me :oops: :lol: If you were to get youre expected 16L/100 towing a 1000kg camper on a trip......you will have done ok and be comparative to nearly every other diesel 4wd on the market.

There is no way you can compare economy to what others post in that thread. There are too many factors in play.......Evereyone drives differently for starters, lives in different areas (hills/flats etc) headwinds, traffic.....could keep going forever :roll:

12.5 isnt shocking.....lets put it that way. Especially considering tyres, canopy and bulbar. Just get in, drive it and love it for what it is :twisted: Its only diesel.........you run low, put more in, simple :D
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Brent1 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:20 pm

I agree with you Damo and sympathize. I also purchased a Triton based on fuel economy as one of the factors. I wanted an improvement over our thirsty old Courier and didn't end up gaining much at all. We bought 2 and the first one was using 11L/100km and I was stewing over it waiting for the 2nd to arrive and thought I had a good mind to send them both back because of false advertising. I'm just lucky as the 2nd one is getting 9.5L/100km and the bigger tank means I can make myself think the 1st one is not so bad as I don't have to fill it so often ;-) I was asking questions like you and was told the tests are done at low speeds in controlled conditions and that they are economical if you stay under 100km/h. Stuff that! I did NOT buy a new car and expect to have to drive like Miss Daisy to get decent milage!! My partner has a Captiva and she gets 8-9L/100km while my brother has a new Territory and flogs it and gets low 8's. I feel happier with the 2nd ute as it is my family car and I am getting just under 10 yet driving it at 110-120km/h everywhere. I sympathize with you mate. The Triton is a fantastic car and I love it to bits and won't change it, but the economy seems to be very hit and miss between them
Brent1

Postby Brent1 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:23 pm

I disagree Al. I feel 12.5L/100km is f$&@king absolutely s$&thouse for a new diesel 4 cylinder vehicle. I remember thinking when I worked out I was only getting 11L/100km I may as well have bought the new SS I was considering before I thought I'm not spending my money on a new gas guzzler when making my mind up on which car to purchase. I understand that loading it up and towing a van will suck a LOT more fuel, but this poor bugger has been getting that mileage driving conservatively before making any mods
Brent1

Postby irwazza on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:45 pm

I agree Alc, if you believe what any car manufacturer says about fuel consumption you have got issues. Do actual research before buying, not just looking at the pretty sticker on the windscreen
irwazza

Postby furious on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:01 pm

Big Damo wrote:One of the reasons I went for a Triton was the great advertised fuel economy figures. I'm not expecting to get that good, but nearish would be nice.

Since I brought my triton home stock standard (apart from 245/75 16 ATRs) I was getting only around 12.5 L/100 kms. The canopy didn't change that at all. Just had a new bullbar fitted around 20 kms ago, so that's not influenced anythign yet. It's now done 1600 kms

The scary part is I just got 13.4 L/100 kms after filling up an hour ago. That's with really conservative driving, around town. Still got a lift, side steps and rear bar to go, and even then we'll be towing a 1 tonne camper on holidays and with a kayak on the roof. At this rate I'll be expecting 16s and on my planned Simpson desert trip I may not even have enough fuel to get across with my 150L aux tank setup.

I'm almost feeling sick at how little range I'm going to have and how many thousands of extra dollars the fuel is going to cost me at this rate Selling the vehicle is not an option (it's on a novated lease) and I was going to keep it until after the 10 yr drivetrain warranty expired but the extra fuel will hugely outweigh the tax benefits I'm getting from the lease.

I know that diesels can benefit from being run in, but people here have been getting in the 8s on a brand new stock car. It seems to be running fine from what I can tell. My 99 TD Jackaroo used to get these figures and it had roughly the same power and torque figures.

Please help me with any suggestions. It's going into Mitsubishi for its 1500 km this week, but I'd like to be armed with some knowledge or suggestions prior. I can see this economy leading to some serious mental health problems. :?

Cheers

Desperately seeking answers!

Mine was the same when new. i was getting 10 to 13 lts/100L for the first 8000km. Now after 9500km I am getting 9.5lts/100kms consistently. GLX Auto My12 MN.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Big Damo on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:03 pm

irwazza wrote:I agree Alc, if you believe what any car manufacturer says about fuel consumption you have got issues. Do actual research before buying, not just looking at the pretty sticker on the windscreen

The point is that is no way that my vehice, even before the mods, would have been able to achieve the figures they quoted if used in their exact same tests. So given it is the same engine, there must be something fundamentally wrong with the innner workings or tuning of mine. I have done my research and it all led to a very economical vehicle when driven in the right conditions. I am trying to work out why and not wanting to be accused of being a dumbarse for wanting to work out why, but thanks for the positive input anyway.
Big Damo

Postby Big Damo on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:06 pm

furious wrote:
Mine was the same when new. i was getting 10 to 13 lts/100L for the first 8000km. Now after 9500km I am getting 9.5lts/100kms consistently. GLX Auto My12 MN.

thanks Furious, that's encouraging.
Big Damo

Postby Brent1 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Well I don't know what we as buyers are supposed to do then??? Those ratings are supposed to be supplied by each manufacturer as a relative indication of fuel economy. I read everything I could about all the makes of 4x4 ute and had no option but to use each of their supplied figures as a way to compare them. Your comment about people such as me having issues because of relying on this is insulting and ignorant. If they can't be relied upon then they should not be posted at all. If they are a government requirement then it should be clearly stated how the figures were obtained and it should be under the same circumstances. I realize it is impossible to put them under exactly the same conditions but it should be stated how many km/h they were driven at and for how long to arrive at these figures. From there we can all make our own minds up as of course the manufacturers will keep trying for the most optimum conditions - but then all of them will so we can more confidently compare them. As it is they shouldn't be allowed to post them. I'm not sure how you made your investigations, but I didn't have the benefit of knowing people well enough who owned each of the main brands and had new models so that I could compare. And this is the first forum I have been a member of and didn't realize that these sites were available to trawl through and research. So lay off the many of us that made careful decisions after hours and hours of research. And I can assure you that I did not take this lightly. I am almost 36 and this is my first new car so wanted to take the time to make sure that whatever car I bought I was completely happy with my decision and didn't get it home wishing i'd bought a different one
Brent1

Postby irwazza on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Insulting and ignorant hey? Try blatant truth. Every car manufacturer lies about the fuel consumption you will actually get. Always have!! As mentioned there tests are always done in perfect conditions, totally different to what we see on the road.
Its no different to solar company selling you a 5kw/h system that will only ever achieve 2.5kw/h.
Welcome to the real world. Every 4x4 will return similar if not worse results. Enjoy it for what it is.
If you want absolute fuel economy ride a pushbike.

P.S I still believe fuel economy is influenced by drive style more than anything else
irwazza

Postby biggibbo on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Brent1 wrote:Well I don't know what we as buyers are supposed to do then??? Those ratings are supposed to be supplied by each manufacturer as a relative indication of fuel economy. I read everything I could about all the makes of 4x4 ute and had no option but to use each of their supplied figures as a way to compare them. Your comment about people such as me having issues because of relying on this is insulting and ignorant. If they can't be relied upon then they should not be posted at all. If they are a government requirement then it should be clearly stated how the figures were obtained and it should be under the same circumstances. I realize it is impossible to put them under exactly the same conditions but it should be stated how many km/h they were driven at and for how long to arrive at these figures. From there we can all make our own minds up as of course the manufacturers will keep trying for the most optimum conditions - but then all of them will so we can more confidently compare them. As it is they shouldn't be allowed to post them. I'm not sure how you made your investigations, but I didn't have the benefit of knowing people well enough who owned each of the main brands and had new models so that I could compare. And this is the first forum I have been a member of and didn't realize that these sites were available to trawl through and research. So lay off the many of us that made careful decisions after hours and hours of research. And I can assure you that I did not take this lightly. I am almost 36 and this is my first new car so wanted to take the time to make sure that whatever car I bought I was completely happy with my decision and didn't get it home wishing i'd bought a different one

If you do a google search you will find the answer to how the ADR fuel consumption figure is obtained

Basically the engine is removed from vehicle and placed on a computer controlled test bed and cycled to certain speeds and conditions for a defined length of time. The consumption figure is then calculated and this is the figure you see on the windscreen.

The purpose of the ADR fuel figure is so you can compare consumption figures between all new vehicles, however the posted consumption figure bears no reality to real world consumtion figures. If you blindly beleived the sticker, you have been a little naive, as the ADR figures have been around for years.

If u have done your homework as you said, you are infront, as you would be using more in the other vehicles you dicounted.

@ Damo Have you calculated the figures at the pump or are u trusting the readout, cause the readout is way out. It will settle down soon, but your accessories you have listed will be costing you atleast 0.5 per 100km. You have not done 1500km yet so give a few tankfuls and let it settle in. Your economy will improve.
biggibbo

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems