POSSIBLE FUEL SHORTAGE PROBLEM??

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Postby Hunters on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi All, I have just recently purchased a 2008 ML 3.2 diesel triton.
I have been having this problem where you are driving along and if you apply more throttle its almost like its jerking a bit.
you can hear and feel when it does it.
it is like it has intermittent fuel blockage and then goes away.
seems to do it around 2000RPM in 4th gear.
very unusual, and i am not sure what to make of it. it doesnt happen all the time either.
i had it in the local dealer recently as the check engine light came on and stayed on.
apparently the vacume hoses were blocked so they cleared them and cleared comp error and it was all good.
the service guy did mention about a manifold issue with these models and that i may want to replace it down the track.
they didnt say anything about me describing the jerking thing.

Hopefully someone on here might be able to explain wats up with it or at least may know what I am talking about.

thanks in advance.
4x4 and camp for life
IF THE WIFE LETS ME GET IT, IT SHAL BE A MACHINE :)
Hunters

Re: POSSIBLE FUEL SHORTAGE PROBLEM??

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Try a search on the word surging and see if the descriptions match your experience. If they do then you have plenty of reading ahead of you. Or you could just go and get the new manifolds and be done with it.

Have a look at Tex's forum bible as well - it contains the links you need anyway.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Kegsy on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Its the manifold issue your dealer mentioned. They are most likely clogged with Carbon deposits.

Take her into your dealer for a manifold replacement. Its a warranty fix.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Kegsy wrote:Take her into your dealer for a manifold replacement. Its a warranty fix.

They have just purchased an 08 model, warranty may not apply depending on service history and k's on the clock ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby SecondEye on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:03 pm

Fridgie is right the warranty doesnt travel with the vehicle only the owner. Its a bit decepetive thats its the owner with the warranty not the car :cry:
SecondEye

Postby mad992 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:11 pm

true second eye so true
mad992

Postby Froggy on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:26 pm

It being an 08, it's still under 5 year 130,000 k's.
If your still under 130k, take it to the dealer under warranty. Whay area are you from?
Froggy

Postby al coholic on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:39 pm

froggymicb wrote:It being an 08, it's still under 5 year 130,000 k's.
If your still under 130k, take it to the dealer under warranty. Whay area are you from?

X2.....Thats how i always understood it.....

The 10yr/160k powertrain warranty is only for the original owner ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby irwazza on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:45 pm

X3
irwazza

Postby Kegsy on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:34 pm

al coholic wrote:
froggymicb wrote:It being an 08, it's still under 5 year 130,000 k's.

X2.....Thats how i always understood it.....

The 10yr/160k powertrain warranty is only for the original owner ;)

Yep, thats how I read it as well.

Original owner or not, doesn't matter if its inside the 130K/5Y
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:05 pm

That is correct, 5yr/130 stays with car, 10yr stays with owner, BUT, if original owner has poor service history, bye bye warranty no matter the k's ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Hunters on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:08 am

froggymicb I am in the Hunter Valley, Muswellbrook will be the closest for me.
It has done 114,000km.

I have checked log book and it looks like the previouse owner has had most of the services done, however there are a few not done.

I will contact the stealer today and see what they say.
thanks all for ther input....hopefully stealer will be able to honour warranty so I can get a couple of the major things done.

I had rang mitsubishi customer care and they checked the vehicle in the system and said it is commisioned to have triton ball joint replaced and ECU flashed both under warranty.

its a pity the previouse owner did not check it out and have at least those two done.

anyway, I will post the outcome....
4x4 and camp for life
Hunters

Postby Froggy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:25 am

fridgie wrote:That is correct, 5yr/130 stays with car, 10yr stays with owner, BUT, if original owner has poor service history, bye bye warranty no matter the k's ;)

Yes I knew that was what you meant, got twisted afterwards.
I'm not sure, but even with a few missed services, the manifolds should still be a warranty job as it's not like missing a service caused it.
It they refuse, just get the originals cleaned. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the new design changes nothing other than making it take longer to develop the surging.
Of course, the problem may be the SCV or something else yet, but carbon buildup is the most likely suspect.
Froggy

Postby Tony on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:16 am

On these manifolds,
I have washed a few here in blitz/acid then tapped a new MAP sensor nipple in upstream of the EGR in the top manifold. Seem to work fine. The lower section with that swirl set up is a bitch to clean with out acid.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hunters on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:56 am

Ok...... we have an update.....

I saw the dealer this morning and the lovely sercvice lady was kind enough to update my vehicle in the mitsubishi system and said services are up to day....woohohooooo....

so she's booked in next thursday to have the recall rear balljoint u bolts replaced, the ECU reflashed, the squeeky rear leaf springs.

and i told them that the vehicle is surging and using fuel so the will look at manifold.
I told her i know of quite a few vehicles that have had then same problem and the manifold was replaced under warranty...so here's to hoping they do.... otherwise thay will just clean it....but warranty should replace i would think.......

on that note can anyone tell me what the EGR blanking plate does and is it worth getting one??
how much are they?? where can I get them from???

thanks all for the information.... if it wasnt for this forum i would not know what i know now :)
4x4 and camp for life
Hunters

Postby Hunters on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Had vehicle in today and this is the current outcome;

they are ordeing in replacement rubbers for the squeeky leaf spring fix.
they said I dont need the balljoint "recall" done. they have just tightened it and checked.
the rear u-bolt "recall" apparently doesnt affect my model 4x4.

the ECU re-flash was done - biggest differace is injectors are quieter and turbo does not kick in the way it use to. seems turbo is much smoother during boost.
has it lost power?? feels like it has, as the turbo doesnt hit at 2000rpm the way it use to.
just goes smooth through the RPM.

biggest one- manifold/surging.....

they are not doing anything about the manifold as the check engine light was not on and it was not surging when they drove it.
I told them it doest it every week without fail (surging) at least 3 times a week between 2000-3000rpm and especially in 3rd.

apparently there is a process that needs to be followed.
they need to have check engine light on to log it in their computer... otherwise mitsubishi wont warranty it for them (dealer)

I am pissed about it as i have done 116000 km and i do about 600km a week....
wont be long and its out of warranty.

the guy at the dealer said it doesnt matter if its out of warranty as its a known problem and since it has now been logged with my vehicle in their system they should honor the replacement later down the track.

i have a EGR blanking plate in the mail thanks to Alex, so lets hope it helps, I also want to put in a catch can.

I would of thought they would pull off the manifold to check it but they only run diagnostic tools over it.

not happy Jan!!!!

should the manifold have just been done or is this "process" they need to follow legitimate????

does anyone know what a manifold is worth??
4x4 and camp for life
Hunters

Postby rhodes96 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:41 pm

If the vehicle is surging, regardless if it throws a check engine light or not, that is unacceptable.
Take it to another dealer and contact Mitsubishi and tell them about your experience with that dealer.
rhodes96

Postby Froggy on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Also, their would be no point in messing around with catch cans and egr blanks until the manifold is fixed!
It will not stop the surging, but it will stop the buildup from continuing to a point where it will throw a code and you'll get it fixed.
As rhodes said, if it's surging they should fix it. Mine was surging but no CEL and it was fixed under warranty. Try someone else!
Froggy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:14 pm

I got fed the same lines. I was having my tappets done and asked them to clean the manifolds while they were at it. I reported the surging but they said they needed to tick all the boxes before Mitsubishi would cover the costs. I said well I have surging, shit fuel economy and black smoke, is that enough? No, it wasn't. :x They did an ecu reflash though and my black smoke went away and fuel economy improved marginally. The surging has just returned....
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Froggy on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:14 am

Because they have so much apart already, cleaning the manifolds while doing the tappets seems to me to be a no brainer. But I guess that's one of the benefits of living near Eagers Newstead!
Froggy

Postby brett10 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:10 pm

Have u had the injectors cleaned or the fuel filter replaced ? Shuddering or hesitation I'm unsure how it can be a manifold restriction. That might come across as reduction in power not shuddering. ??

p.s. do the ml's have a TPS and not accel cable ? If it has a TPS check that with a multimeter too. :)
Ya gotta love this place
brett10

Postby Hunters on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi Brett10,

fuel filter replaced yes, injectors cleaned no.....

the "surging" it has seems only to appear between 2000-3000RPM....(boost range?????)

at the moment it hasnt surged for a couple of days......

however loss of power I have noticed after having tyhe ECU Flash 2 days ago......just doesnt seem to have the same up and go when it hits boost......

as for the accelerator I thinks its TPS....what am I checking for??? any voltage restrictions??
4x4 and camp for life
Hunters

Postby andyj on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi Hunters I wouldn't trust the Muswellbrook dealership since it changed hands lost there decent mechanics and brought in their own I live local to the Brook but I use Cessnock and had no dramas bit of a drive but they have a car you can use if you pre book it...... Used Muswellbrook until the new owners took over prices went up (servicing) the old service manager was good and so was te head mechanic but the new owners got rid real quick, even Lancasters are cheaper at singo than the brook.
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby Antkenn on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:39 pm

I never had a problem getting my dealer to do the manifold work under warranty. Just mention surge they jumped on it. New sensors clean and replace manifolds. Good business for them they just charge it to Mitsubishi
Whilst having said that now have a surge problem even with all the updates. Don't want to high jack your post but opinions are pointing to map sensors and Fcv. Good luck
Antkenn

Postby Hunters on Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:54 am

Thanks for the input guys,

I will get rubbers done for leaf spring from muswellbrook and then I think I might give cessnock a call...
I have read on the forum that a few guys have used cessnock and are impressed.....

are they just mitsubishi dealer in cessnock?? so i can get contact details.

I thought muswellbrook were a bit over the top when they wanted to charge me an hourly rate for a loan car.... just got a work collegue to collect me instead.....

its a shame when new owners screw with a good thing......
4x4 and camp for life
Hunters

Next

Return to Fuel Systems