Fuel consumption

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel consumption

Postby Tryton08 on Thu May 09, 2013 6:01 pm

I have a question to ask about fuel aconomy on a ML Triton.
Here is the senario
I have a Ml 3.2 lt auto trans i am running 265/75/16 tyres, standard exhaust, chipit chip set to tune 4 which i just changed recently from tune 5 without any noticable difference. Manual boost controller set to 19psi.
A couple of months ago I removed and cleaned out the inlet manifold which was clogged up with about 10mm thick of carbon deposit.
I filled up tonight and put 61lt of deisel in the tank after doing 415 km. That works out to be 14.7 lt/100km which seems to be a lot to me especially after reading that a lot of you are getting under 10 lt/100km. Has been like this for a while now I'm not sure if its normal or just a combination of things like roof rack bull bar winch etc.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Very happy with it otherwise.
Tryton08

Re: Fuel consumption

Postby al coholic on Thu May 09, 2013 6:33 pm

Sounds almost right mate given your accessories :? Maybe a slight bit higher than mine.
The best ive EVER gotten was a run down the hume hwy to the high country last year......12.5L/100. Only had a couple of swags and an ice box on the tray, as light as its ever been too :?

The guys getting under 10's are manuals. Big difference. You wont get near that in an auto with that size tyre, bullbar, racks etc.

On a side note...........I have actually noticed after cleaning the manifold out in our 3.2L Pajero that i cant quite get the same economy i did when we first purchased it and it was full of gunk :| About 1 litre higher in most cases but obviously goes that bit better than before anyway.
At the end of the day....its only fuel......just put more in :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby baito on Thu May 09, 2013 6:39 pm

1st tank of diesel in the new triton, 720 km from bang on 60L, no accessories as yet so stock as a rock, gonna keep a log book as I add bar work and tyres and see how it varies... cheers
baito

Postby vol on Fri May 10, 2013 7:10 am

Mate I have a 3.2 auto and only do highway k,s got 265/70/16 bar ,racks ,canopy and I get 10.3 consistantly was looking at 3" exhaust to get better.
vol

Postby trouble on Fri May 10, 2013 7:58 am

Tryton08 wrote:I have a question to ask about fuel aconomy on a ML Triton.
Here is the senario
I have a Ml 3.2 lt auto trans i am running 265/75/16 tyres, standard exhaust, chipit chip set to tune 4 which i just changed recently from tune 5 without any noticable difference. Manual boost controller set to 19psi.
A couple of months ago I removed and cleaned out the inlet manifold which was clogged up with about 10mm thick of carbon deposit.
I filled up tonight and put 61lt of deisel in the tank after doing 415 km. That works out to be 14.7 lt/100km which seems to be a lot to me especially after reading that a lot of you are getting under 10 lt/100km. Has been like this for a while now I'm not sure if its normal or just a combination of things like roof rack bull bar winch etc.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Very happy with it otherwise.

Change the tyres back to standard HT pattern then have a look.
Mine is the same as yours but running a bit more weight and manual I get low 11's and 14-15's when towing my 2 tonne camper.
As alco said that is pretty normal for an auto.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Tryton08 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks guys for your replies.
Smaller tyres definitely not going to happen so looks like I will just have to put up with it. Maybe in the future might look at getting a 3" exhaust fitted might make all the difference.
Tryton08

Postby trouble on Fri May 10, 2013 11:18 am

3" exhaust makes no difference, again I have one. Just spools quicker and slightly better throttle response.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby helicoptercow on Fri May 10, 2013 11:53 am

how often to you use your roof racks? I remove mine (Rhino HD square tube style) because i found them to have the aerodynamics of a brick. Didn't realise until i removed them that they were adding significantly to my economy, particularly if your doing most of your driving >80km\h

otherwise, like the others said, you can thank your barwork and tyres. Did your enconomy change when you changed from tune 4 to 5? could be adding more fuel but not burning it, hence no performace increase?

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TheEscapist on Fri May 10, 2013 12:10 pm

I've got a MN triton, 2.5L auto with canopy and racks (rhino flat type and a luggage rack on the canopy) as additional weight unloaded. Everything else is standard, right down to original tyres.

I get around 11L per 100 km around town with no racks. I dont do alot of country driving without putting the boat on the back but even with a 5.5M glass boat and the racks on fuel consumption increases to about 12.5-13.5L. :D

With or without the boat, loaded or unloaded - I drive it like a grandmother :oops: :roll: I'm always concious of fuel, accelerating gently and braking gently (when I can). What I have noticed is that when I use the cruise control fuel consumption goes up.... :?

I too would like a 3" exhaust, not to increase economy - but to increase low revs response time. I have a suspicion that my economy would suffer though if I started bolting performance bits on again... I'd start driving it harsher like I used to drive cars I'd modified in the past :D :D
TheEscapist

Postby Tryton08 on Fri May 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Yeh probably tyres made the biggest difference. As for the roof rack its an ARB one which bolts through the canopy and onto internal frame work it was on it when i brought it some time ago. Would be just another thing that I would have to get out of the shed and bolt on before I go camping although I haven't used it much but the thought is there eg, fire wood.
I didn't really notice any difference going from tune 5 to 4 other than maybe a little softer on take off if that makes sense not in fuel usage anyway. Might put it back up to 5 which I believe is the standard setting.
Tryton08

Postby TUFF TROOP on Fri May 10, 2013 3:17 pm

I have manual ml glxr with bullbar winch side rails sliders arb rear bar arb canopy and roof cage with rooftop tent and lightbar. Plus rear drawers and 110lt fridge plus all our gear on 34s I was getting 12.1 lt per 100ks at 115kph . At 100 it was getting 10.8

I also have chip full 3" egr blank. Uni filter snorkel Etc too.

I know it sounds stupid but are your back brakes dragging at all? Have had a customer come in and his were dragging causing excessive fuel consumption. Also a auto.
TUFF TROOP

Postby tony73 on Fri May 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Out of curiosity what do the GLXRs show on the LCD as KM to empty on a full tank?

Its taking me a bit of getting used to as I went from a 2006 GLXR (65lt tank) to the 2012 GLR and have no other data that the needle guage! Im finding Im running down close to empty, light just comes on but I cant get more than 60-65 litres in and they are supposed to be 75lt tank!

Im assuming my light comes on with around 20lt still left in tank! So my guage is a bit funny when below 1/4 of a tank!

But I recon Im getting about 11lt to the 100km around town, 13-14lt to the 100 when towing boat, 2.5 Auto, alloy bar, snorkel, canopy, Stock highway tyres!
tony73

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Mine comes on with 15 litres left (based on what it then takes to fill) but I think I recall be told the official point for the light to come on is 13 litres.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tryton08 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Tuff Troop very good theory I'm fairly sure the brakes aren't dragging I think its just an accumulation of all the accessories which I have on it mine is set up about the same as yours other than the 34s. Did you notice any difference with the uni filter?
Tony73 sorry I have no idea what the LCD screen reads as I have removed it to fit a double din stereo I only do calcs as i fill up every now an then .
Tryton08

Postby Crash486 on Sat May 11, 2013 6:36 am

I had that issue of not knowing how long till empty, hence the reason for getting the scanguage II. Now when the light comes on I flick it to distance to empty and feel safer. Only other problem is the better half will throw in a bit of fuel to feel safe and then the scanguage is no help.
Crash486

Return to Fuel Systems