Liqui Moly

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Liqui Moly

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:26 am

murwullambah wrote:If these is anybody has attempted to remove a 2.5 manifold and has any pics it would be helpfull

It certainly has been done, by quite a number of MN owners. What you need to consider, though, is that, with in excess of 18,000 members, your chances of a particular member or even that select group of members seeing your post is relatively slim. Typically there are 20 to 60 members on here at a time and many of those are the regulars, who may not have done what you're asking for photos of. I, for example, have never done a manifold clean.

Asking the question, as you have, is a particularly haphazard way of getting the information you need. You're relying on that member being on here and seeing your post. Many members, even though they may have made contributions to the site, just don't get on here that regularly. If you're looking for more information and or pictures in some kind of timely fashion then you'd be far better off having a look for yourself. The Forum Directory is an obvious place to start, with links to threads arranged in alphabetical order of subject. Search is also an option; a search for "mn manifold clean" might bring up a few hundred results but they're fairly quick to scan through and likely ones can be selected. Often there are links to other topics that might provide what you're looking for. There is even a special thread where you can ask for help in finding specific information - but the catch is that you must have searched, yourself, first.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby viking shippy on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:55 pm

O shit oh dear...it seems that they do indeed make a intake manifold cleaner...I should have looked harder on the liqumoly web page...I stand corrected....the only one I've used is liqui moly diesel purge...

NO...I've not used it...&.as I said it isn't a effective way to clean it.!
In the end I was convinced by industry Professionals to remove and clean my manifolds as any spray in magic jooce......is effectively a waist of money...yes I took the profecionals word for it....
I had my manifold cleaned profecionally and then fitted tonys egr mod and a oil catch can......so I don't have a problem with carbon buildup...Anymore....period....you beauty..@ 770$ a pop for a upper and lower clean...
but I wonder if the old carbon around the head ports is still sitting there....waiting to be shot to shit with the squirt of some magic liqui Moly jooce....
Last edited by viking shippy on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viking shippy

Postby viking shippy on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:17 pm

murwullambah wrote:RHKTriton, what is your qualification to sugest this is a bad idea?, taking off manifold is a big job for a home mechanic, i would like to get detailed instructions if anyone has done it on a 2.5 4D56 VGT

I'm no mechanic but I probably know more about tritons than today's plug and play Technitian...
I'm no pilot.....but I know how an aeroplane flys...
I'm no brain surgeon but I think I know how my brain works..
I'm a Shipwright but I don't know everything about boats..

Sounds like your already sold on using this gear anyways..
I don't see why you cannot respect others choice not to use it...with an explanation.
For many years now company's have been trying to sell stop leak,stop smoke,clean carb,ext ext...some work.. some don't.....what all these quick fix products have in common is that they are temporary.......and work for the short term till you buy another tube.....or can
I learnt from my first day at work to "do it once and do it well" .....but hey that's just me!
viking shippy

Postby hvac guy on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:21 pm

So this product removes oil and carbon from the manifolds. Ask yourself what does the piston rings and valve stems use to lubricate there machined surfaces Oil ! . Ive built engines from under 1 hp too over 1000hp and the most common cause of early failure is poor lubrication with oil. I would hate too see what it does to the bores of an engine.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:24 pm

Good point.....hvac
viking shippy

Postby AnOldFart on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:17 pm

hvac guy wrote:So this product removes oil and carbon from the manifolds. Ask yourself what does the piston rings and valve stems use to lubricate there machined surfaces Oil ! . Ive built engines from under 1 hp too over 1000hp and the most common cause of early failure is poor lubrication with oil. I would hate too see what it does to the bores of an engine.

x3 .....'hvac' .... :!:
Squirting a can or multiple cans of this 'chemical concoction' of -oil & carbon- "dissolving stuff" down the throat of -your- vehicle's donk whilst it's runnng is not, I would suggest, a very good recipe for a subsequent long and happy and trouble free life expectancy, for your engine. .... :shock:
As the old mechanic's sayin' goes, "Oil's cheap. Metal aint...!"
I certainly believe that -anything- that -STRIPS- oil off the bores of a running engine -WON'T- have a happy ending for the vehice's owner .... :o
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:22 pm

AnOldFart wrote:
hvac guy wrote:So this product removes oil and carbon from the manifolds. Ask yourself what does the piston rings and valve stems use to lubricate there machined surfaces Oil ! . Ive built engines from under 1 hp too over 1000hp and the most common cause of early failure is poor lubrication with oil. I would hate too see what it does to the bores of an engine.

Squirting a can or multiple cans of this 'chemical concoction' of -oil & carbon- "dissolving stuff" down the throat of -your- vehicle's donk whilst it's runnng is not, I would suggest, a very good recipe for a subsequent long and happy and trouble free life expectancy, for your engine. .... :shock:
I certainly believe that -anything- that -STRIPS- oil off the bores of a running engine -WON'T- have a happy ending for the vehice's owner .... :o

But they bought it from -'Soupycheep'- ...

It must -BE- ok if Soopy sell it ???

eh... :P
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:23 pm

L200Shogun

Postby AnOldFart on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:36 pm

motoz wrote:
AnOldFart wrote:

But they bought it from -'Soupycheep'- ...
It must -BE- ok if Soopy sell it ???
eh... :P

Herr "motoz" ... Ist du bist ein 'shite-stirrer' ? .... :lol:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:10 pm

L200Shogun wrote:Gedankenexperiment

Aka..."thought" I think I'm guna fart...
...........result.....I just pooped my pants..

Now You know what "thought" did..think things through...grasshopper..
viking shippy

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:06 pm

Yikes!

Well haven't we all gone passionate again. Good to see a robust debate.

I stand by my original opinion - not a rash statement but a considered view.

Qualifications - common sense.

The 2003 Vito I had prior to the Tri didn't have a carbon issue and ran as good the day I traded it as when first picked up off the lot.

Researching the Tri prior to buying alerted me to the carbon issue and I took the plunge eyes open. EGR blank went in 4k after purchase and there seems to be no apparent build up in the manifold after nearly 160k.

I would be concerned using something that can dissolve carbon and oily deposits from the manifold as these combined products have nowhere to go but through the rest of the engine.

Some of this stuff must end up on the cylinder walls and consequently have your high tolerance rings scrape over it.

It is then not a far stretch to think that some of this 'gunk' gets caught in the ring grooves as well as spray onto the turbine blades like a blast of particulates.

If bigger particles get released from the manifold, it is fair to assume ( I know its dangerous to assume, so let's postulate) that there will be bits that may blow thru the cylinder, not be small enough to go thru a grinding action a few hundred times up and down the cylinder wall or give the turbine too hard a time on the way past, but, are too big to fit thru the honeycomb structure of the catholic convertor and clog it up. The manifold might now look shiny looking down the throat however its colum might be totally constipated, wow!

As far as removing manifolds - that's not too difficult - its the blasted fuel lines and their positioning that cause the angst.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:25 pm

viking shippy wrote:
L200Shogun wrote:Gedankenexperiment

Aka..."thought" I think I'm guna fart...
...........result.....I just pooped my pants..

Now You know what "thought" did..think things through...grasshopper..

I see a lot of peoples "thoughts" presented as facts on the internet.
L200Shogun

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:34 am

Yes l200, too much is taken at face value and consequently fact - WW3 will probably get set off on facebook :lol:

I'm wondering how these people on Facebook and New Hilux will be commenting in a couple of years that are currently squirting manifold cleaners regularly down their engine's throats.

How many squirt WD40 or equiv over everything, when a few drops of light machine oil will actually achieve a better result?

Anyway I've said my piece, so packing away my soapbox on this topic.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby scumbag on Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:20 am

thinking outside the box, how effective would a water injection system be at cleaning the manifold over time?
scumbag

Postby AnOldFart on Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:12 pm

scumbag wrote:thinking outside the box, how effective would a water injection system be at cleaning the manifold over time?

Wouldn't work because the only thing going through the intake manifold of a diesel donk is air, a tiny squeak of PCV oil-mist, & some EGR carbon soot too, that is if you havent got your EGR pipe blanked, or the EGR ET-Resistor Mod done, or one of Tony's EGR/MAF adaptor kits installed.
Not like a petrol engine where the fuel also enters the engine via the intake manifold itself, and hence the manifold, or more correctly, the piston crowns and the head's combustion chambers and valves can, be cleaned up over time, via the use of a micro-water injection system.
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:33 pm

I assumed he meant water injection in the air intake. I gather it has been experimented with by one or two people with a little success but I am not across the detail of it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby scumbag on Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:54 pm

AnOldFart wrote:
scumbag wrote:thinking outside the box, how effective would a water injection system be at cleaning the manifold over time?

Wouldn't work because the only thing going through the intake manifold of a diesel donk is air, a tiny squeak of PCV oil-mist, & some EGR carbon soot too, that is if you havent got your EGR pipe blanked, or the EGR ET-Resistor Mod done, or one of Tony's EGR/MAF adaptor kits installed.
Not like a petrol engine where the fuel also enters the engine via the intake manifold itself, and hence the manifold, or more correctly, the piston crowns and the head's combustion chambers and valves can, be cleaned up over time, via the use of a micro-water injection system.

yeah wondering if it would translate across to a diesel...
doubt many people who are in the know dont run some sort of egr blank.
scumbag

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:23 pm

Oil and water don't mix so water spray would have no effect on built up residue.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:10 am

RHKTriton wrote:Oil and water don't mix so water spray would have no effect on built up residue.

What qualifications do you have to state oil and water don't mix?? :twisted: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:19 pm

:roll: Everybody knows that oil floats on water. So if you sprayed water in the intake then the oily mix would float on top of the water. :P :lol:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:25 pm

I reckon burned oily carbon deposits will mix with just about anything. My qualification for this statement is my experience of the food my wife often serves me which seems to have the burned stuff mixed through pretty thoroughly.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby motoz on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I reckon burned oily carbon deposits will mix with just about anything. My qualification for this statement is my experience of the food my wife often serves me which seems to have the burned stuff mixed through pretty thoroughly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joel on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:57 pm

I want to know where to get one of these catholic converters RHKtriton was talking about?
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby viking shippy on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:16 pm

My qualification is in keeping water out....
Why on earth would you inject water into anything of value..
viking shippy

Postby FredSmith on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:46 pm

viking shippy wrote:My qualification is in keeping water out....
Why on earth would you inject water into anything of value..

VS.
Water injection into internal combustion engines has been around for decades. The theory is that water is injected in small amounts. As it is super heated during combustion, the expansion increases power. This theory is evident on steam engines and catapults on aircraft carriers. American B52 bombers would never get of the ground with a full bomb and fuel load without water injection.
FredSmith
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems