Air Flow Sensor

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Air Flow Sensor

Postby Notso on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Recently noticed a slight increase in fuel useage/kilometre, nothing much but noticeable.

Anyhow I decided to have a look at the Air Flow sensor. Mainly because it's the only one I can find??? On removing it I found it was black and coated with dust.

The Air Cleaner looked OK with maybe a small amount of dust above the rubber seal.

I cleaned the sensor with Electronic Parts Cleaner (now nice and shiny again)and replaced it after checking out the rubber seal on the Air Filter. it seems Ok. I've wiped the whole box out with a damp cloth including the sides of the filter so I can check it later on to see if it's leaking dust. I'll now have to observe the Fuel economy and see if it goes back to normal.
Notso

Re: Air Flow Sensor

Postby Sapient on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Snap Notso,

Pulled mine out today as I was reoiling the Ubifilter anyway, and had noticed a drop in fuel economy.

Same condition as yours also, coating of black dust build-up. Cleaned mine with parts cleaner, and had noticeable improvement in mid range response and high end revs already. Will monitor economy but I am already certain it will improve.
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Notso on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:30 pm

Just to add some info.

Thought I'd check the manual and found that there are two little wires up inside the Sensor which I'd missed on the first occasion so I removed it again and cleaned them as well, they didn't look too bad but noticeably cleaner now. Have to take if for a drive and see what the result is.
Notso

Postby sam on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 pm

I noticed dust on the intake side of the air filter on our big trip to the Kimberly's last year so will check the air flow sensor asap. :(
Still reckon the ML NEEDS a bigger and better air box :roll:
sam

Postby scubapro on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:19 am

guys what brand of cleaner are you using & where can I buy it please?
scubapro

Postby Notso on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:16 am

It is "CRC" Brand Automotive Electronics cleaner I got it from from Supa Cheap Auto but I imagine any electronics or automotive spare parts place would have it.

It is a highly Volatile luiquid under pressure in the can and evaporates very quickly once released from the Pressure Pack.
Notso

Postby sam on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:40 am

Cleaned mine and yes it was rather dirty so will be interesting to see if it makes any diff :o
sam

Postby brenze87 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:36 pm

just thinking are any of you guys running an aftermarket air filter like the uni filter. thought that the oil from the filter might be causing this build up?
brenze87

Postby sam on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:02 pm

No I'm still running the factory filter but I'm going to see if a Hi Lux air box might fit as it has heaps more surface area to the filter .
sam

Postby Notso on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Mine's totally stock standard everything.
Notso

Postby subi_man on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:05 am

I got 5 mins to check mine today, and was surprised to find it was identical to the AFM used on turbo petrol Subaru's. If this is indeed the case, here's what I know about them.

The visible "bulb" sensor (circled in red) only measures air intake temp. The sensors for the AFM are up inside the tube (yellow arrow). Like notso, I use a non-conductive electronics cleaner and blast them clean as much as possible. You need to be careful with these things, a replacement Subaru one used to be around $700 :o

There was no sign of oil from my Unifilter, just a layer of grime on all the sensors. Have not road-tested to see if there is any noticeable difference with a clean AFM.

Cheers

Click to view larger picture
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Its Ok just to spray the entire thing?
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:36 pm

That's what I did Buzzy :)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Jitsukablue on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:06 pm

So that's why MMAL wouldn't supply a unifilter... are these hot wire MAF sensors? IE thin metal strips/wires across the bore?
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Notso on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:58 pm

Yep, two of them up inside the ducts in the AFM, there is a temperature sensor on the outside which appears quite robust but the two small wires up inside are very thin.
Notso

Postby sheepo on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:55 am

well i gave the air flow sensor a spray with the elect cleaner wow what a differents fuel economy seems better and bit more response well thats what it feels like any way :?
cheers peter
Peter
08 VR
sheepo

Postby Adz on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:21 am

Im assuming these parts would be the same on both diesel & petrol?

Has anyone tried this on a petrol model?
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Postby sierra on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Sam,

Here it is. You should remember this, your post is just before this one.
;)
The pic shows the sensor in the aircleaner, mine looked identical to this and that's where it was.
Scoop and probe.

subi_man wrote:I got 5 mins to check mine today, and was surprised to find it was identical to the AFM used on turbo petrol Subaru's. If this is indeed the case, here's what I know about them.

The visible "bulb" sensor (circled in red) only measures air intake temp. The sensors for the AFM are up inside the tube (yellow arrow). Like notso, I use a non-conductive electronics cleaner and blast them clean as much as possible. You need to be careful with these things, a replacement Subaru one used to be around $700 :o

There was no sign of oil from my Unifilter, just a layer of grime on all the sensors. Have not road-tested to see if there is any noticeable difference with a clean AFM.

Cheers

Click to view larger picture
sierra

Return to Fuel Systems