Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby 1 Nathan on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Yep block it ASAP you will love it I found my truck came into boost lots sooner
1 Nathan

Postby mad992 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:27 pm

def block it asap ;)
mad992

Postby AnOldFart on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:33 am

humphrey007 wrote:Hi Guys,
new to forum please excuse ignoranc but is this problem the old 3.2 diesel or is it still happening with the new 2.5 diesel as most posts seem to be 3.2. My triton is 2013 glx-r auto with 1400klm and only 5 weeks old.
So now would be the best time to blank off egr .

Thanks
humphrey

Suggest you read my post directly above yours Humphrey, and then follow that link for some -very interesting- EGR blocking info. ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 250sav on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:47 pm

So 2.5 MNs will not throw a check engine on blanks now?

Thinking I might put a catch can on the new one I'am buying.

But EGR blank is interesting.
250sav

Postby AnOldFart on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:13 pm

250sav wrote:So 2.5 MNs will not throw a check engine on blanks now?

Thinking I might put a catch can on the new one I'am buying.

But EGR blank is interesting.

Suggest you read my post directly above yours Humphrey, and then follow that link for some -very interesting- EGR blocking info. ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Christ. First the 2T and the MAF cleaner and now the bloody resistor mod. :roll: :roll: No doubt you'll see my other post about this in the other thread but I'm not sure you're doing anyone any favours pushing them in this direction at the moment.

In answer to 250sav it seems that the MNs that have a fairly recent reflash had their parameters altered in some way making them much more tolerant that the original 2009/2010 models which used to code pretty frequently with a blank. So provided you've had a dealer service with an ECU update in about the last 12 months or so your motor should tolerate a blank without spitting the dummy.

Note that technically any mod involving fiddling with the pollution control on the vehicle may be illegal.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby AnOldFart on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Christ. First the 2T and the MAF cleaner and now the bloody resistor mod. :roll: :roll: No doubt you'll see my other post about this in the other thread but I'm not sure you're doing anyone any favours pushing them in this direction at the moment. etc...etc...

Ahhhhhhh, would you perhaps, --like to clarify-- JUST WHAT, your --point-- is, with respect to your double 'rolling eyes' CD....???
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mIwoo on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:11 pm

So I removed the whole egr valve today when I was removing my plate... Car has 61k kms with 30 k kms 'blanked'... And f me, the sludge removed going from the egr entrance was hugely disappointing. Like I'd say half a cupful. I installed the new electrotrickery today... Very impressed! Only reason I
Took it off was because it was leaking oil....
And no... I don't have a provent- will be coming shortly now however.
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby snakesoup on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:16 pm

good stuff ml woo any pics of where you installed it?. pm if u like..thanks
snakesoup

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:09 pm

AnOldFart wrote:Ahhhhhhh, would you perhaps, --like to clarify-- JUST WHAT, your --point-- is, with respect to your double 'rolling eyes' CD....???

His point is that you are recommending a solution which is known to have limitations. It will only work on some engines at some altitudes and in some temperature ranges. It hasn't been tested across a range of different vehicles in varying conditions. My Pajero was one of the test vehicles for Tony's mod and it took some tweaking with a high end OBDII scanner to get the values just right. Earlier tests were done on srb's Triton and I know that there have been a whole range of others.

This is not a case of replacing your fuses with 2" nails. There has been science and real world testing applied before release.

In my business I charge $105/hour so a $50 spend equates to about half an hour of my time. On a vehicle that cost me $60K it's a much better solution for me to spend $50 on a tried and proven solution than it is to have to stuff around with buying the parts and then making something that was based on a wild guess and has only ever been tested on one car. I can guarantee that that would take a lot more than half an hour of my time. With Tony's mod I know that next time the temperature drops below zero or I drive up into the mountains the thing isn't likely to crap out the ECU with out of range readings and if I ever did have a problem with it then I know that Tony will support it.

As others have said, I have nothing to gain here other than to try to steer people in the right direction. What CD is saying is exactly the same. Without trying to dampen your enthusiasm, a little research and thought might be better preceding a recommendation for something that could have all sorts of ramifications for people who may not have the manual or technical skills to do it properly or to deal with the consequences.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:38 pm

Actually my point, aside from the one Chris has highlighted, was that it seemed a bit like you'd get excited about something, like say 2T or cleaning a MAF sensor, and then the next thing I would see half a dozen posts all over the shop recommending whatever was the flavour of the moment. The same was starting to happen with the electro mod or whatever you were calling it. Some of us still read every post every day and it soon gets old seeing the same posts from the same person. I mean fair cop if it's dead on point but we had 2T for surging, SCV issues, possible cruise control issues and I can't even remember what else. It was all over the place enough that people started gently ribbing you about it - a couple of different ones as I recall it. Anyway it's not the end of the world or anything, and I get that it's a new toy this forum business and we're a friendly lot and it's great to contribute and all, but all I was suggesting with the rolling eyes was that maybe you were overdoing it a bit.

Cowboy Dave

Postby AnOldFart on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:16 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
AnOldFart wrote:Ahhhhhhh, would you perhaps, --like to clarify-- JUST WHAT, your --point-- is, with respect to your double 'rolling eyes' CD....???

His point is that you are recommending a solution which is known to have limitations. It will only work on some engines at some altitudes and in some temperature ranges. It hasn't been tested across a range of different vehicles in varying conditions. My Pajero was one of the test vehicles for Tony's mod and it took some tweaking with a high end OBDII scanner to get the values just right. Earlier tests were done on srb's Triton and I know that there have been a whole range of others....etc...etc...etc...
As others have said, I have nothing to gain here other than to try to steer people in the right direction. What CD is saying is exactly the same. Without trying to dampen your enthusiasm, a little research and thought might be better preceding a recommendation for something that could have all sorts of ramifications for people who may not have the manual or technical skills to do it properly or to deal with the consequences.

Listen 5th...! :evil: Firstly, I wasn't addressing my question to you...! :x And I would -hope- that CD is a 'big enough boy' to stand up for -himself- and -justify- his -OWN- posts on this PUBLIC forum...!

I, am -NOT- trying to -force, anyone's arms- when it comes to choosing just which EGR -solution- is better suited to their own vehicle's situation,,,! But, just like you, I am trying to, now, quoting yourself, "steer people in the right direction." of an -alternative option- to all of the -well documented- BS, that's been associated with the use of physical EGR 'blanking plates'.

Please, now, point me / us, to just where, -I- have -ever- suggested, that reader's of this PUBLIC forum, should take it upon -themselves- to try to emulate Tony's own -researched- work in relation to implementing this EGR -electronic mod- in lieu of, going down the -proven, problematic path- of installing the physical blanking plates approach to it....?

I am still waiting...........................................................................!!!!

All that I've -ever- done, is steer NT Forum readers towards -this discussion- of the -alternative- electrical option...!

Any Triton owners who have 'no, electronic smarts' should, -obviously- if they've got -any f'kn brainz- at all, sling Tony a few bucks for his tried, and -supported- electro EGR solution, rather than, for the sake of saving a few bucks, trying to 're-invent the f'kn wheel' all over again, themselves, with 'possible' ...?? dire results for their vehicle.

In the end, I, just personally speaking, am 'much happier' to go with this 'electro-mod solution' to the EGR problem, rather than the physical 'blanking plates' mod, because, in reality, all that I am doing, is causing the vehicle to operate within -it's own- original Mitsui -engineering design range parameters- rather, than installing 'dodgy' -additional- physical EGR blanking plates, -hidden- deep in the bowels of it's EGR plumbing.
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:02 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Actually my point, aside from the one Chris has highlighted, was that it seemed a bit like you'd get excited about something, like say 2T or cleaning a MAF sensor, and then the next thing I would see half a dozen posts all over the shop recommending whatever was the flavour of the moment. The same was starting to happen with the electro mod or whatever you were calling it. Some of us still read every post every day and it soon gets old seeing the same posts from the same person. etc... etc... etc,... rolling eyes was that maybe you were overdoing it a bit.

OK CD, fair enough, I take your point, but, just like you say, -"Some of us still read every post every day"- and that's just what I've been doin too, over the past few months, and please, take it as the truth, when I say that -all- I've ever, been tryin to do, as a result, is to provide some -hopefully- helpful information, to NT Forum members about 'real world' -solutions- that have definitely, worked positively, for myself. Prior to my retirement, I've had over 40 years of Technical and Engineering experience, and so, I would like to think that I'm not -yet- at least, quite a total bluddy dill, and that my own 'humble' contributions -might- at least prove -helpful- to someone, who reads them....??

My approach CD, is that not everyone, who logs into this Forum is going to be immediately, -totally up to speed- with the latest and greatest, or, for that matter, even the -oldest- info, and so, I might, --possibly-- be seen, by some, as a bit repetitious in my posts, but hey, that's just me, tryin in my own little way, to spread the -2T Good Oil- message, and to be otherwise helpful, to the 'great un-washed and un-informed' Triton drivin, 'Brotherhood'...!

Cheers,
AOF
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:05 am

What's 2T oil do :? :?: and what's maf
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:57 am

I - totally - agree - mate - please - keep - the - info - flowing - for - fellow - members ;)
I - didn't - realise - 2t - would - solve - my - EGR - issues - either :) I - WILL - have - to - try - that - one :D
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:42 am

AnOldFart wrote:Listen 5th...! :evil: Firstly, I wasn't addressing my question to you...! :x

No doubt. However, this is, as you say, a

AnOldFart wrote:PUBLIC forum

AnOldFart wrote:But, just like you, I am trying to, now, quoting yourself, "steer people in the right direction." of an -alternative option- to all of the -well documented- BS, that's been associated with the use of physical EGR 'blanking plates'.

Fair enough. What you're missing though, is the history. Blanking plates were the only solution for a very long time but I don't think that I'd go so far as to say it's "-well documented- BS". The plates do work and additional mods such as holes in the blanking plates or the throttle butterfly have been developed to refine the system in the instances where a full blank would result in a CEL.

AnOldFart wrote:Please, now, point me / us, to just where, -I- have -ever- suggested, that reader's of this PUBLIC forum, should take it upon -themselves- to try to emulate Tony's own -researched- work in relation to implementing this EGR -electronic mod- in lieu of, going down the -proven, problematic path- of installing the physical blanking plates approach to it....?

I am still waiting...........................................................................!!!!

You didn't wait very long. Time enough to hit the Enter key twice. But, that aside, I didn't say that you suggested to members that they try to emulate Tony's work. Rather, my point was that you were making recommendations for the 6K8 resistor solution which, while it may have a lower initial purchase cost than the alternative, has a much higher opportunity cost and carries higher risks. As to pointing you to where, here are the first three that I happened to find:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2477&p=396315#p396315

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=15796&p=396217#p396217

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2477&p=394000#p394000

I wasn't able to find an instance where you had pointed someone to Tony's solution. There may be, however it does seem to me that your only recommendations have been for the 6K8 resistor.

AnOldFart wrote:Any Triton owners who have 'no, electronic smarts' should, -obviously- if they've got -any f'kn brainz- at all, sling Tony a few bucks for his tried, and -supported- electro EGR solution, rather than, for the sake of saving a few bucks, trying to 're-invent the f'kn wheel' all over again, themselves, with 'possible' ...?? dire results for their vehicle.

My point exactly. However, I'm not aware that, prior to now, you've actually said this.

As a new member you don't really have a feel for the history of this site and the type of membership that it attracts. This isn't your fault, or failing. When the ML Triton was first released it tended to attract owners who were technically pretty savvy. It was, being a new car, relatively expensive. As time has moved on the ownership base, reflected in the membership here, has significantly changed. Used examples are now commonly available and at quite cheap prices, particularly when compared to when I bought my ML. At that time the demand was so strong that used examples were bringing higher prices than new, simply because some were not prepared to wait. That's all changed now and we have a whole new type of member. Generally not the tech savant type, often young (and therefore gullible) and more often than not, looking for the cheaper rather than the better solution, simply because of their own budget restrictions.

It becomes important in this changing membership scenario for older or more senior members to make the right recommendations when a question is asked or even when not asked directly. Quite often people can zero in on one post and take that as gospel, without reading the surrounding information, sometimes dispelling the statements in that post thoroughly. The efforts of members to dispel the myths are what makes this site what it is. You won't find here the same kinds of support for worthless or even dangerous modifications that are common on some of the other 4WD vehicle forums. There is no plethora of threads here extolling the virtues of extended shackles, coil spacers, home made ball joint spacers, wheel spacers or P'n'P HIDs.

So, from time to time, when we see an overabundance of posts pointing to a modification that may have consequences it behoves us to point out the potential associated risks and to remind people that there are better alternatives, and why.

AnOldFart wrote:In the end, I, just personally speaking, am 'much happier' to go with this 'electro-mod solution' to the EGR problem, rather than the physical 'blanking plates' mod, because, in reality, all that I am doing, is causing the vehicle to operate within -it's own- original Mitsui -engineering design range parameters- rather, than installing 'dodgy' -additional- physical EGR blanking plates, -hidden- deep in the bowels of it's EGR plumbing.

Again we agree. In my opinion it is a much better solution. That said, it may not be to the liking of every member. In fact I'm aware of one (Pajero) owner who has installed Tony's mod, plus a blanking plate. Guess there's nothing like being sure. ;)
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:27 am

Hell I'll go one further, still blanked, still have the LR2 bypass mod and have a switchable 'resistor' mod :lol: .
I wanted to compare as SRB did :ugeek: . All have some downsides, but as it has been blanked since it was 500 km's old it still has a clean intake manifold. No fault codes for the last 45000km either.

Easy in hindsight to say I guess, but none of it is rocket science - by any stretch...

This needs to be condensed to relevant info only - done to death....
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:06 am

Will an EGR blank enable me to fit 32's with no lift ???

Should I add 60ml of Castrol 2T to lube them up so I can squeeze them under the guards ???

:shock:
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby koshari on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:09 am

NowForThe5th wrote:
AnOldFart wrote:Listen 5th...! :evil: Firstly, I wasn't addressing my question to you...! :x

however it does seem to me that your only recommendations have been for the 6K8 resistor.

i suspect the reference to the 6k8 resistor actually refers to the values i chose in my scenario,

by all means there isnt a magical value resistor, I simply chose 6k8 because i have wired the resistor in series with the NTC thermistor integrated into the Mass Air Flow Sensor and didnt want any EGR operation right up to 60Deg.

if you hard wired a resistor in place of the NTC thermistor the actual temperature wouldn't even matter.

a couple of reasons i chose to wire the resistance in series with the NTC thermistor in the ground leg are that,
-if there were to be a short across the resistor it would behave precisely as normal and the pull down resistor connected to the 5v rail that supplies the thermistor would not be operating outside of its rating.
-if there were a short in the grounding leg of the resistance network the mod would simply keep working as the black/blue wire references back to ground (0V) anyway.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416 ... 65a18b.png

attached is the resultant curve of the modified cct with a red line indicating the total resistance of a 6k8 resistor in series and a red line if one were to choose a 4k7.

Click to view larger picture

IMO the scaremongering associated to this modification is being a little overplayed, P0112 or P0113 CELs are hardly gonna have a catastrophic outcome. Personally I think its a hell of a lot less intrusive than drilling holes in the throttle butterfly which make me cringe at the thought.

If people feel a little intimidated altering the wiring loom on the vehicle by all means have them buy the "precision", "supported" plug and play mod from tony otherwise if they feel competent enough with a set of crimpers and some side cutters go for it i say.

additionally advice suggesting requiring an expensive fancy expensive OBDII scanner to monitor the EGR demand signal is a little confusing to me as a $10 ebay special works perfectly.
koshari

Postby George Kyro on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:18 am

motoz wrote:Will an EGR blank enable me to fit 32's with no lift ???

Should I add 60ml of Castrol 2T to lube them up so I can squeeze them under the guards ???

Good Question Moto's , I asked this exact question to The Doctors on triple j and they did say that this was a very effective method. They also stated that if you wanted to fit 33" tyres with lift you probably best also adding some peanut butter (premixed with 2t) into the solution and it will allow you to perform a full lock turn on both side with no scrap age! :D

God, i love this forum!!!
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:27 am

motoz wrote:Will an EGR blank enable me to fit 32's with no lift ???

Not unless you use a can of MAF cleaner from Soupycheep on your wheel studs. And make sure you inflate the tyres to 6k8? :? :?

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:45 pm

:roll: :roll: How can one have a serious conversation here without the peanut (butter) gallery chiming with their best attempts to derail the thread? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Koshari, no-one's saying that your solution doesn't work. Just that it may not work in every situation.

When I was doing the testing for Tony I used an OBDII scanner to see the effects of different values of resistance, so that we could understand the range that would work and so that Tony could come up with a reliable product. I might add that my scangauge does not pick up the output from that temperature sensor - hence the need to use the high end machine.

In my case, 3.2l 4M41 with variable vane turbo, a 6K8 resistor would have produced crazy results so the values were adjusted. Same with a 2.5 MN. This isn't necessary once the values are known. So, for those buying his solution they're buying the benefit of the testing I, and others, did with him. For the buyer it is just cut, plug and play.

The bigger problem though, is that while there are some people for whom your solution can work, there are probably a lot more who don't have the knowledge or technical skills to complete the installation properly or know what to do when/if it all goes wrong.

As I said above we have to cater for the lowest common denominator. How many times have new members come on here and asked a question in a thread where the answer was given only a couple of posts prior? Or been asked and answered literally hundreds of times previously? We have to be responsible in a our recommendations and advice.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby koshari on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Koshari, no-one's saying that your solution doesn't work.

actually its wright1275s idea, http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4813&p=326272#p326272

NowForThe5th wrote:The bigger problem though, is that while there are some people for whom your solution can work, there are probably a lot more who don't have the knowledge or technical skills to complete the installation properly or know what to do when/if it all goes wrong.

you could argue that others may attempt something radical like drilling a hole in the throttle body.
I have never insisted anyone make this change to their vehicle, i just think by freely posting the information one would hope there would be fewer people radically butchering their vehicles.

As I said above we have to cater for the lowest common denominator. How many times have new members come on here and asked a question in a thread where the answer was given only a couple of posts prior? Or been asked and answered literally hundreds of times previously? We have to be responsible in a our recommendations and advice.

I perfectly understand, however its hardly unique to this forum. a practical example of this is how the information my solution is based was hidden 71 pages into the original EGR thread.
koshari

Postby Ada on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi All

Having just finished reading 41 pages I now have a plan.
My 2006 ML GLXR with 130k has ongoing carbon issues ( two new upper manifolds )
I'm going to fit a EGR blank and a CHIPIT.
In your experience will this be all I need to do to prevent the problem of computer fault/limp mode and carbon.
I'm having the manifolds cleaned out by a diesel workshop in Melbourne then I'm looking at fixing the build up problem for good.

All advice welcome

Cheers
Ada
Ada

Postby mitzikatzi on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:24 pm

Well done on reading 41 pages.
I am new to all this.
EGR blanks seem out of favor.
No idea on CHIPIT tunes. MRT tunes address the carbon build up issue.
If you read a bit more there is a resistor mod to address the carbon build up issue. There is a thread on how to do it for a couple of dollars, some controversy in the thread. Another forum member sells a $50 mod to do it.

Mitsubishi Turbo diesel secrets, the hidden ugly side of soot.

The ET Mod insatalation
Last edited by mitzikatzi on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitzikatzi

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls