Cracked tub

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Cracked tub

Postby helicoptercow on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:12 pm

I know there was talk of this in the rural kms thread, but thought I'd separate the topic.

I was just looking at my canopy (genuine factory for what its worth) when when i noticed the front corners of the tub has cracked. Ill update with a photo soon.

Has anyone approched the dealers with this before, or has anyone gone about rewelding? im wondering what the options are or if anyones has developed further once cracked.

Thanks

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Cracked tub

Postby helicoptercow on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Here is a pic
uploadfromtaptalk1338693528904.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Cattle Truck

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:46 pm

Mine has done the same thing at around 60k, as have my past three tritons and L200 express. :roll: In my experiences, dealers dont seem to be interested in a fix (Especially if you have after market suspension fitted) I just get it repaired when bad enough to worry about. Worst part is the paint work. :cry: To do a proper repair pretty much involves a full respray of the tray. :evil: I have just touched mine up in the past.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Garth has cracking at the rear of his tub. Also I think it was NTBB who had it quite badly?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby helicoptercow on Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:48 pm

Yea both garth and NTBB were the guys discussing the cracks. Im sure there are more out there. I just hit 75,000kms but only had the canopy on For the last 15,000. Between NTBB and garth if their tubs are holding up without intervention then it cantbe much more then superficial.

The Cattle Truck

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:11 am

My tub is continuing to Crack at the rear end and between that and the damage from the simpson trip, its a write off.
Not worried, tubs are pretty cheap so will replace it when it starts cracking on the outside like NTBB.
Cost more to fix it I think

85,000km and badly abused :D
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby helicoptercow on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:11 am

that simpson trip must have been nearly 50,000kms ago too so once cracked it doesn't progress to fast then?

I only have the cracks at the front. I mentioned soon after fitting the canopy i couldn't believe the amount of movement they have, so its obviously this twisting and flexing of the canopy independant to tubs movements that are 'tearing' at the tubs structure.

The Cattle Truck

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:11 am

helicoptercow wrote:that simpson trip must have been nearly 50,000kms ago too so once cracked it doesn't progress to fast then?

I only have the cracks at the front. I mentioned soon after fitting the canopy i couldn't believe the amount of movement they have, so its obviously this twisting and flexing of the canopy independant to tubs movements that are 'tearing' at the tubs structure.

dont think the cracks started on the Simpson, but cant be sure. the corregations were pretty heavy though and with the canopy being 80kg odd, with all the movement. thats what i put it down.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Get an MN tub dave, problem solved :twisted:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Cracked tub

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:42 pm

I've been wondering about exactly that Ken. What if the curve in the top rails is concentrating the load is a couple of spots whereas the MN is straight and flat and more evening distributed?

Cowboy Dave

Postby al coholic on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:45 pm

har05l wrote:Get an MN tub dave, problem solved :twisted:

Cowboy Dave wrote:I've been wondering about exactly that Ken. What if the curve in the top rails is concentrating the load is a couple of spots whereas the MN is straight and flat and more evening distributed?

Could be onto something boys :D

But i would rather and ML tub cracking to my MN chassis bending :shock: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:49 pm

al coholic wrote:
har05l wrote:Get an MN tub dave, problem solved :twisted:

Cowboy Dave wrote:I've been wondering about exactly that Ken. What if the curve in the top rails is concentrating the load is a couple of spots whereas the MN is straight and flat and more evening distributed?

Could be onto something boys :D

But i would rather and ML tub cracking to my MN chassis bending :shock: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Same Chassis doofus :roll: Bloddy Carpenters. If they cant drive a nail into it, they have no idea. :D

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:53 pm

No shit sherlock!! :lol: :lol: But its only the MN's that have bent ;) It was only a joke anyway....no need to get your tiny 2.5L motor all worked up :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby helicoptercow on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Yea thats a fair observation there CD, i hadnt thought of the flat topped mn tray. Ive only heard from NTBB and garth, now me, all with ML tubs. But tony said his shows signs and so did fulter, but that was from a sports bar, and i had one of those before the canopy, so it seems to exist in MNs to. Im curious how many more might be out there but just haven't noticed it.

The Cattle Truck

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Cracked tub

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:32 pm

I'd bet on Tony's having an unusually hard life so his would be in the lead for producing such symptoms.

Cowboy Dave

Postby helicoptercow on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:38 am

well bit of an update,

I had a service done a couple of weeks ago and mentioned the tub appeared to be cracking at the front. When i picked it up the service manager said he took some photos and had submitted a warranty claim to mitsubishi, not knowing what the result could be as he hadn't seen it before. He said it initially looked like it might be a sealent type of stuff that has cracked, but without taking it appart for a proper look couldn't tell me any more or if there were welds behind that had separated.

So today got a call telling me the claim has been approved by mitsubishi :D Its booked in for late july to take it appart and see what can be done. 8-)

The Cattle Truck

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:55 am

Do you think my ML tub on an MN would be covered by warranty :D

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Cracked tub

Postby JamoGLXR on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:07 am

Try it just to see their faces when they see your towbar 300mm under the tub lol
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby snappyrow on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:39 pm

A bit of tub tear-down analysis for those interested...

The area where helicoptercow has experienced the cracking is a line of sealer between the outer skin, inner tub side and tub front panels. The paint cracks when the sealer flexes due to movement between these panels. There are very few welds in this area as you'll see below (click for full size)

Click to view larger picture

Basically from the wheelhouse up there are only two bolts securing the sides to the front. Pretty easy to see how the load applied by a canopy or rack on the tub rails in this area would cause plenty of movement. The benefit of the bolts is that they will cope with this movement far better than welds in the same area would. This cracking in this area is purely cosmetic IMO and not of structural concern.

helicoptercow wrote:So today got a call telling me the claim has been approved by mitsubishi :D Its booked in for late july to take it appart and see what can be done. 8-)

I'll be very interested in Mitsu's fix for this...

On the cracking in the tub rails near the rear, there is a lot more strength in the MN tubs at the back as Mitsu basically just added to the length, leving all the existing skeleton of the ML and then adding another cross member and plenty of other stiffening brackets to keep it strong without extending the chassis. Have any MN's cracked at the rear?
snappyrow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Snappyrow, don't suppose you know how much the replacement skin was when you did that repair do you?
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snappyrow on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Kegsy wrote:Snappyrow, don't suppose you know how much the replacement skin was when you did that repair do you?

Ha, repair! Nah just pulling it apart for another project. Picked up the whole MN tub for $100 brand new from a car that had a tray put on at the dealer. Won't be much left of it when I'm done (if I can pull this off :shock: )
snappyrow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:51 pm

I think I know where you are going with this and cannot wait to see ;)

please start another thread- as it could be lost in here
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby helicoptercow on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:59 pm

thats very interesting snappy, trust there to be a member in the process of disecting a tray :lol:

The Cattle Truck

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:40 pm

snappyrow wrote:
Kegsy wrote:Snappyrow, don't suppose you know how much the replacement skin was when you did that repair do you?

Ha, repair! Nah just pulling it apart for another project. Picked up the whole MN tub for $100 brand new from a car that had a tray put on at the dealer. Won't be much left of it when I'm done (if I can pull this off :shock: )

Ah fair enough... I thought you were re-skinning the side.

I've had an idea for a while to do a little project but never really looked into it. But pretty much I'd get two new skins, section them and build my own tray...

Maybe one day... :lol:
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:59 pm

snappyrow wrote:just pulling it apart for another project. Picked up the whole MN tub for $100 brand new from a car that had a tray put on at the dealer. Won't be much left of it when I'm done (if I can pull this off :shock: )

4wd26 wrote:I think I know where you are going with this and cannot wait to see ;)

I think i can see where its going too Selwyn.... ;)

Actually....i found this peak so everyone can get a sneak peak :D Great work snappyrow 8-)

Cracked tubs or tub designs on while on crack.......either will be accepted in this thread ;) :lol: :lol:
al coholic

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls