MQ Triton MY16 trip report new model launch/ review

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: MQ Triton MY16 trip report new model launch/ review

Postby har05l on Sat May 02, 2015 5:37 am

After having a look at the specs and accessories available I'd still go for the GLS for value for money but still pissed that the DL is not an option :evil:

At near on $52k not many exceed purchasers will be hitting hard core tracks needing a locker :roll:

Perhaps the 2nd generation MQ with change :?
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Sat May 02, 2015 6:14 am

I asked specifically and because not many people tick that box it is not worth MMA while to run a separate production run so they can offer the diff lock as a option

it must be much more difficult that I would think to grab a diff from another pile as a vehicle goes past on the production line

oh well aftermarket is always available and better value when you buy 2 (front and rear)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby al coholic on Sat May 02, 2015 6:22 am

FreestyleCab wrote:I looked at the Mitsubishi website tonight and I was a little dismayed that there is no mid spec extra cab available. My next ute may be an extra cab chassis and I feel there must be demand for one that has a few bells and whistles and not just a povo pack.

I'd say as Club Cab's are probably about 1% of the Triton sales, there isn't a need or demand for different variants ;)

Club Cab's would be viewed purely as a workhorse rather than the family all rounder like a dual cab.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby al coholic on Sat May 02, 2015 6:25 am

har05l wrote:After having a look at the specs and accessories available I'd still go for the GLS for value for money but still pissed that the DL is not an option :evil:

You're not even going to buy a new one, so settle down :lol: :lol:

I agree the D/L would be better suited to the GLX and GLS which are far more likely to be used as a 4wd to hit the tracks than an Exceed!!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby snowman on Sat May 02, 2015 6:31 am

al coholic wrote:
FreestyleCab wrote:I looked at the Mitsubishi website tonight and I was a little dismayed that there is no mid spec extra cab available. My next ute may be an extra cab chassis and I feel there must be demand for one that has a few bells and whistles and not just a povo pack.

I'd say as Club Cab's are probably about 1% of the Triton sales, there isn't a need or demand for different variants ;)

Club Cab's would be viewed purely as a workhorse rather than the family all rounder like a dual cab.

chicken or egg. :? :?

i reckon they would sell more if they were specced up a bit. clearly a DC or club cab has a lot to do with use (family etc.) but i reckon a lot of grey nomads etc might go for a clubbie if it had a better spec level.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Sat May 02, 2015 7:55 am

snowman wrote:chicken or egg. :? :?

I think both taste great so I don't care :lol: :lol:
al coholic

Postby har05l on Sat May 02, 2015 8:20 am

al coholic wrote:
snowman wrote:chicken or egg. :? :?

I think both taste great so I don't care :lol: :lol:

I'll have bacon and eggs with a side of buttery mushrooms thanks :D
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat May 02, 2015 9:31 am

Will there be hash browns? Sausages? Sounding good. :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby triton_guru on Sat May 02, 2015 11:14 am

Is it true the middle seat only has a lap sash?
triton_guru

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat May 02, 2015 11:16 am

lap sash is the standard type of seat belt mate. Lap across the hips and 'sash' up and over the shoulder.

Lap only would be a problem but lap sash is fine.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby 4wd26 on Sat May 02, 2015 11:17 am

Lap sash is the normal seat belt these days
Lap used to be the old "dodgy" seatbelt

Sash, you obviously never won any beauty contests and got you sash over your shoulder
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby triton_guru on Sat May 02, 2015 11:40 am

lol well is it lap only i meant or does it have the shoulder bit aswell?
triton_guru

Postby 4wd26 on Sat May 02, 2015 11:43 am

It has the shoulder bit
Photo of behind the seat on one of the pages in this report, can see the rewinder

Not sure of the club cab, but again should be able to tell from the photos
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby triton_guru on Sat May 02, 2015 11:47 am

yh no worries just spoke to a keen buyer at home and he said the dealer had told him thats all the back middle seat had :s all good
triton_guru

Postby al coholic on Sat May 02, 2015 4:50 pm

triton_guru wrote:yh no worries just spoke to a keen buyer at home and he said the dealer had told him thats all the back middle seat had :s all good

It might be the GLX that may have the lap only belt in the middle?? That's according to previous ML and MN models anyway

I think a few dealers have already been taught a thing or two about the MQ by NTN members, so I wouldn't listen to what they say anyway :lol: :lol;
al coholic

Postby fester on Sun May 03, 2015 1:34 pm

Would love to know if they have actually reprogrammed the stability control properly to take away the unsafe aggressive shut down characteristics that are in the auto Challenger and I guess Triton.
fester

Postby 4wd26 on Sun May 03, 2015 1:48 pm

fester wrote:Would love to know if they have actually reprogrammed the stability control properly to take away the unsafe aggressive shut down characteristics that are in the auto Challenger and I guess Triton.

under what circumstances are you referring

2wd pulling out into traffic and spin a wheel and the vehicle cuts all power?
the vehicle behaves much nicer in the above circumstance, certainly did not drop the power in my drive time

the new auto gearbox is a lot nicer and the accelerator/ throttle response has been reprogramed to be more aggressive, apparently Aussie drivers like this where the throttle response in the past has been dictated buy the Europeans wanting more controlled/ slow feedback- a factory fitted throttle booster..... :shock:
Getting Out There
4wd26

MQ Triton MY16 trip report new model launch/ review

Postby al coholic on Thu May 07, 2015 2:50 pm

Just went and had a quick look at the new MQ 8-)
As pretty much everyone else has said, it's a very nice truck. The GLX is far from a pov pack....so many features as standard, option it up with some alloy wheels instead of steelies and you have a very good vehicle ;)
I can also confirm the GLX has a lap sash belt for the middle seat like the higher spec models!! I forgot to check anchor points though :roll:

A couple of interesting points for anyone looking to purchase, soon, if fitting a steel or alloy tray wider than 1740mm (standard trays are usually 1800 or more) you'll need to fit clearance lights to the front bumper of the vehicle, yep, you read that correctly, clearance lights!! It's a new ADR apparently for this class of vehicle. I would of thought they should be fitted to the front corner of the tray as that's the widest part of the vehicle??

And just while on ADR's......because of the daytime running lights on the GLS and Exceed models, you can only fit a Sahara or rocker style bar. Centre hoop only, no hoop over the top of the headlights.

I was very skeptical of what the sales bloke was telling me but then he showed me the bulletin sheets and it was as he said, at least from Mitsi's perspective anyway, some of the aftermarket companies may be able to get around those ADR's somehow??
al coholic

Postby triton_guru on Thu May 07, 2015 3:42 pm

I too just went for a drive in the new triton, the looks of it are much better in person than in pictures, the one I looked at was the model down from the exceed and was a auto.

It seemed a bit slow and I wasn't overall impressed by the performance of it in terms of acceleration imean, breaking and handling it was fantastic lol actually made me book my car to get the drums and discs redone haha.

The chassis seems very similar if not the same, I paid close attention to the control arms and diff's and looks like suspension from a ml or mn might bolt straight in. The steering gwheel was real small which I actually like and kind of wish I could swap my one out for it lol same with the seats they were very comfortable and will definitely be trying to see if the will bolt straight in ;)

I did get the chance to take it for a drive off road (one of the luxuries of living in the country and the dealer being a 4wd man) and it was my first time driving a car with electronic stability control so was very different lol. I did notice the tub flexes a fair bit when off road but guessing that's pretty standard nowadays.

In conclusion I thought it was a great car and they are right when they say it's more car like and the cabin noise well you could barely hear jthe engine revving to 3500 haha but this also includes their tiny Tyres. Driving it made me appreciate my triton a hell of a lot more and I'm actually happy with what I have, the curiosity is gone and I can honestly say I don't want one :) and at $52,000 I would buy a second hand 200series IMO but for now I will stick with the dirty 3.2lt :D
triton_guru

Postby 4wd26 on Thu May 07, 2015 5:22 pm

http://toyotires.com.au/news-media/469-top-triton-gets-tough-tyre

Toyo Open Country OE for 2016 Mitsubishi Triton.

Mitsubishi's 2016 Triton 4x4 GLS Double Cab automatic and manual and range-topping Exceed 4x4 Double Cab automatic will come equipped with Toyo's Open Country A28 tyre.

The GLS and Exceed Double Cab are the highest specification 2016 Triton models and are fitted with 17 x 7.5-inch alloy wheels and the 245/65R17 111S Toyo tyres.

The Open Country A28 has been developed specifically for purpose, taking Mitsubishi's requirements for Triton and Australian conditions and climate into consideration.

Variable pitch tread blocks reduce noise and offer a smooth, quiet ride while deep evacuation grooves and full-depth sipes evacuate water efficiently for year-round performance.

The symmetric, non-directional tread design enables cross rotation which, combined with stability ribs in the shoulder area, reduces irregular wear.

For Triton's fifth iteration, Mitsubishi sought to develop a durable and tough light commercial vehicle capable of meeting the demands of Australian conditions while offering passenger car-like attributes of comfort, quietness and safety.

2016 Triton was thoroughly tested over sand, gravel and coarse chip bitumen during development. The utility offers high overall stability, including at high speed on gravel surfaces, and strong overall towing performance. The new Triton has also been awarded the highest possible ANCAP five-star safety rating.

The popular Toyo Open Country A/TII is available to suit all 2016 Triton spec levels for drivers requiring more frequent off-road performance with class-leading on-road comfort and feel.

Toyo Australia technical manager Steve Burke says the Toyo Open Country 28A is an ideal match for the 2016 Triton GLS and Exceed.

"The specification of an Open Country tyre on the rugged and refined 2016 Triton is emblematic of the range's suitability to tough Australian conditions and the changing demands of drivers.

"Our Open Country A28 is a top-spec tyre designed to match a top-spec truck. It delivers the workhorse performance and resilience demanded by Triton drivers while offering comfort and class-leading grip on wet or dry sealed roads," Mr Burke said.
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby GLX58 on Fri May 08, 2015 11:45 am

4wd26 wrote:http://toyotires.com.au/news-media/469-top-triton-gets-tough-tyre

Toyo Open Country OE for 2016 Mitsubishi Triton.

Mitsubishi's 2016 Triton 4x4 GLS Double Cab automatic and manual and range-topping Exceed 4x4 Double Cab automatic will come equipped with Toyo's Open Country A28 tyre.

The GLS and Exceed Double Cab are the highest specification 2016 Triton models and are fitted with 17 x 7.5-inch alloy wheels and the 245/65R17 111S Toyo tyres.

The Open Country A28 has been developed specifically for purpose, taking Mitsubishi's requirements for Triton and Australian conditions and climate into consideration.

Variable pitch tread blocks reduce noise and offer a smooth, quiet ride while deep evacuation grooves and full-depth sipes evacuate water efficiently for year-round performance.

The symmetric, non-directional tread design enables cross rotation which, combined with stability ribs in the shoulder area, reduces irregular wear.

For Triton's fifth iteration, Mitsubishi sought to develop a durable and tough light commercial vehicle capable of meeting the demands of Australian conditions while offering passenger car-like attributes of comfort, quietness and safety.

2016 Triton was thoroughly tested over sand, gravel and coarse chip bitumen during development. The utility offers high overall stability, including at high speed on gravel surfaces, and strong overall towing performance. The new Triton has also been awarded the highest possible ANCAP five-star safety rating.

The popular Toyo Open Country A/TII is available to suit all 2016 Triton spec levels for drivers requiring more frequent off-road performance with class-leading on-road comfort and feel.

Toyo Australia technical manager Steve Burke says the Toyo Open Country 28A is an ideal match for the 2016 Triton GLS and Exceed.

"The specification of an Open Country tyre on the rugged and refined 2016 Triton is emblematic of the range's suitability to tough Australian conditions and the changing demands of drivers.

"Our Open Country A28 is a top-spec tyre designed to match a top-spec truck. It delivers the workhorse performance and resilience demanded by Triton drivers while offering comfort and class-leading grip on wet or dry sealed roads," Mr Burke said.

Massive kudos for Mitsu for now actually having a OK AT tyre available (A/TII)!! Hope this is a minimal/no cost option though
GLX58

Postby lachiem on Fri May 08, 2015 12:28 pm

7.5 inch rim and still sticking with 245 width :roll:
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby grox on Mon May 11, 2015 11:46 am

Does anyone know if the MQ has annoying beeps. For example does it beep when you don't have belt on / over speed , have door open or David Hasselhoff is on the radio ? Can you listen to the radio with ignition on acc with no one on drivers seat ?
grox

Postby suhua4 on Wed May 13, 2015 9:06 pm

I think you will have every new car beeping if you don't take your seat belts.......
suhua4

Postby MN GLXR on Sat May 23, 2015 7:38 am

I like it. Temptation is a bad thing!

26 did you score an invite because of your role in this group?
MN GLXR

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion