Air Compressor

Anything Triton related

Re: TIME FOR A COMPRESSOR

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:28 pm

This has been reasonably successful. Accessible from side or back windows of canopy, the only problem that I broke a gauge when some boxes moved around in the back. The reserve from the tank makes a big difference on the load on the compressor. I also plan to replace rubber mounts with springs over bolts.

Click to view larger picture

A serious relay is required to switch power on/off via the pressure switch which comes on at 70psi, off at 100psi

Click to view larger picture
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby MR T on Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:30 pm

that looks really good
did you buy the tank seperately or did it come with the compressor :?:
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:54 pm

All bought through EBay but from different places, except for the relay which was from Jaycar and the air fittings which were just spares at work.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Choady on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Hey 5th - nice job. What capaciy tank is it and what sort of duty cycle does the compressor run when inflating tyres using the tank ?

Did you do anything special to mount it ? or is it just using the brackets I can see bolted to the ute side ?
Choady

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:25 pm

Choady, the tank is 9 litres which is enough to give a bit of reserve if I ever want to put in a front diff lock or use a small air tools. I have tried using a .8mm spray gun and that's no problem. The 1.2mm gun works ok while bigger guns are fine for small jobs only.

The compressor is rated at 150 litres/minute so airing up from about 20psi is very quick. I haven't timed it but I'd guess at less than a minute/tyre. The compessor runs pretty much constantly while pumping up tyres but 4 or 5 minutes is absolutely a doddle for it, barlely raises a sweat and doesn't get too hot. I've never tripped the thermal cut-out.

Mounted just on the brackets you can see. Off the shelf from Bunnings.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Choady on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:54 pm

Nice......You dont happen to have the dimensions of the tank do you ? Im keen to fit one on the gap that would be left when building a set of drawers in the back. the gap directly behind the wheel arches basically if that makes sense ?
Choady

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:32 pm

46cm x 16cm from memory. Search on Ebay for Hobzees4WD shop. They have various sizes and all the important fittings you need - pressure switch, high temp hose, etc.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Choady on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks 5th. Always have the good gouge as usual. 8-)
Choady

Air Compressor

Postby liamb on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi All

Just after some suggestions for a compressor that can be either portable or fixed to inflate tyres and possibly air locker dutys (if so fixed) I have seen a few and heard all the suppliers brag but I want some real life results of brands that have been used over time in all sorts of conditions

Cheers

Bill
liamb

Re: Air Compressor

Postby Blue on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Due to budget constraints, I bought one of the ebay "MaxAir" ripoffs several years ago... It's had a hard life and even been submerged once and the only problem I've had was the non-return valve in the head breaking - fixed it by trimming a feeler gauge and screwing it in place...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:51 pm

I think that if you are going to go to air lockers down the track it would have to be an ARB as I presume that the hoses, connections etc are all made for it and not as easy for the others.

Like I said, I presume this.

4wd action did a review not so long ago if you can get hold of the mag. My little TJM for $200 or so works great. I think you should be able to do a search and come up with some good feedback on this topic elsewhere here.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Naff on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:05 pm

Issue 131 had the comparo. They also have a DIY on how to fix a compressor and tank - I've just finished one of these setups myself - 9L air tank, Projecta Typhoon compressor and a bunch of quick fit connections.

Do a search for compressor and you will get a bunch of results on here. From what I've learnt in my project - for lockers you will need a pressure switch that will cutout at 100psi as the lockers aren't built for higher pressures - I think suspension is the same.

I'm only using my setup for tyres at the moment.. haven't used it that much, but can pump the first tyre up from 18 to 36 psi in 1 min 09 secs :D (timed it this evening). By the time I've got the cap on that tyre, tank is almost full (100psi) ready for the next wheel.. reckon I would have all 4 tyres done in about 8 minutes (max).

Projecta Typhoon is doing well so far but it is still new ... if the rest of the setup wasn't so expensive, I would have liked to try the ARB portable unit (and fix it) as it seems very robust.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:20 pm

I bought a Bushranger Max Air 72 lpm in about 2001 when they first came out and it's done a fair bit of work to say the least and it's a brilliant bit of gear ;)

Bought a twin head unit off ebay that was meant to be 150 lpm and after testing it against the Max Air sent it back cause it wasn't in the same league as the bushranger it couldn't even start to compete :roll: :lol:
sam

Postby Buzzy on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:39 pm

sam wrote:I bought a Bushranger Max Air 72 lpm in about 2001 when they first came out and it's done a fair bit of work to say the least and it's a brilliant bit of gear ;)

Bought a twin head unit off ebay that was meant to be 150 lpm and after testing it against the Max Air sent it back cause it wasn't in the same league as the bushranger it couldn't even start to compete :roll: :lol:

These Max Air's have always had a good wrap sam.
I heard they are a very good unit, you just confirmed it.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby MR09GLXR on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:10 pm

i have just done an ARB cop" t is great, the only thing with any comp" in the mitso there is very! little room under the hood of which is a stupid place to put them anyway...
i have made up a super neet steel box of which i had powercoated and mounted on top of rear guard in the tub.
I did not like the idear of my comp" running while my front and rear diff locks were on while doing water crossing's meaning the compressor would ingest water as all compressors have air filters.
I'M NOT SMART.......BUT I CAN LIFT HEAVY THINGS.
MR09GLXR

Postby Snooozy on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:35 pm

After a bit of a search- damn there's a lot of posts on here :o

I will be looking into a compressor shortly & would like some suggestions as to what is currently around worth spending my hard earned.

I did have funds available...until somebody had a group buy on ChipIt chips. onya Joe ;)

May wait until 4x4 show next month to buy, but would like to arm myself with the knowledge beforehand.

For those on the SA Pinnaroo trip, apologies in advance...I will be on the bot for air :oops:

Thanks in advance.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MLTRIT08 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Just brought 1 of these off ebay, not a bad deal I reckon.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KCI-Professional ... 27b38d445a
MLTRIT08

Air Compressor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:33 am

That looks very much like the bushranger models - I paid a lot more than that for mine :-(
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NitroGLXRin on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Does anyone know how the Iron Man Flow Max goes??? This is the one I am looking at, 169$, 72L/min. Probly get one of there basic recovery kits too at the same time, another 132$.
NitroGLXRin

Postby dismatpe on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:38 pm

i bought the bushranger air max cost 200 bucks from arb store, am pretty happy with, does my 245's from 15psi to 34psi in less 2 mins, admittedly it doesn't get used a whole lot but has a 5 yr warranty.
dismatpe

Postby Blue on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:04 pm

MLTRIT08 wrote:Just brought 1 of these off ebay, not a bad deal I reckon.

Same as mine, bloody ripper unit...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MLTRIT08 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:09 pm

MLTRIT08 wrote:Just brought 1 of these off ebay, not a bad deal I reckon.

I know its slightly off topic but the same guy sells the KCI Electric Wrench for $60 free postage, i brought both at the same time :idea:
MLTRIT08

Postby trouble on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:22 pm

Tex wrote:I got a ARB. Mounted under bonnet. Pics in my shed. Works a treat. The standard length hose is long enough to reach all 4 tyres. Switch is wired into cab.

I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby duddits88 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:37 pm

I just bought the mounted ARB compressor...put it underneath the front passenger seat

Plenty of room and can reach all tyres with the ARB hose I got with it...got a good deal all up for $310

Does 62L/min which can do 8 tyres non stop comfortably
duddits88

Postby trouble on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:42 pm

duddits88 wrote:I just bought the mounted ARB compressor...put it underneath the front passenger seat

Plenty of room and can reach all tyres with the ARB hose I got with it...got a good deal all up for $310

Does 62L/min which can do 8 tyres non stop comfortably

one problem is you have to leave the door open not good if it is raining...........................
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion