MN Drivers f e e d b a c k !

Anything Triton related

Re: MN Drivers Feedback!!

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:15 pm

sam wrote:Also just to let you know sierra the 3.2's have a twin cam head and always have ;)

I read the spec off the Red Book site,
3.2 overhead cam - valves per cylinder 2
2.5 double overhead cam - valves per cylinder 4
and just went with the flow!
;) :D
It's got the Pajero NS 3.2 as a twin cam and with an extra 34Nm so I assumed that came from the cylinder head?
sierra

Postby MN GLXR on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:41 pm

Is it just me, or is the brake pedal a little too far away from the accelerator (auto model)?

Feels like it should be and inch or so further to the right.
MN GLXR

Postby tritionspecn on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:01 pm

It is a little MN GLXR, but I sort of dont mind it, gives me a bit of room to park my leg from time to time.
The takeoff is a problem when needed like mentioned earlier, mainly on the roundabouts and turns. It is a good second and a half I reckon.

Did some tourning through the hills, drove and handled very car like. Noticed that on the down hill run, the engine just drops to idle speed even at high speeds. The auto box. Power is there when needed though.
I will be seriously looking at a DP chip when one is available for the 2.5 hpd. I think that it might most likely sort out the little lag at the start. Question??? Do you think it might be possible that the ecu program for the 2.5 hp might be the same as just the standard 2.5 did like in sierra's beast?? :shock: . Someone also mentioned that there was going to be a delay in del times for the new MN cos there was some issues with something, possibly programing?????? Any link here!!!! Most often than not, the chips, be it DP chip or other, they usually sort out any drive harshness or the like at say the sacrifice of some fuel use. Something just not right with that planted takeoff when needed thus far!!!

Why the torque drop of 50nm with the auto box????? I could easily see that they way the first gear behaves in that needed takeoff how the engines reacts ( 1700rmp and then rreeeeeooooooowwwwww) could cause tranny problems like say the merc amg 55 motor did with the 7 speed box. 700 nm was too much torque when the supercharger kicked in.So they kept the 5 speed box with longer gears to get it through. ??????
Dont know, will be keeping an eye on things regarding this.

Paint thing, sorry for not putting the pics up, had no time, cleaning garage to make room for the bigger rear. Took longer than expected. Cheers.
tritionspecn

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:31 pm

I really think the traction control could be to blame.
It will often limit torque in 1st gear and by controlling boost and could be limiting power simply through the electronic throttle based on speed or revs to protect the transmission.
The ECU program will be different for the HP for lots of reasons, especially with that turbo! Remember my single cab is 4x2 and over 300kg lighter than yours even before you start loading it up with essential extras and it's all from the rear end so the 205's dont need all the torque to let go.
The 5 speed auto has to be different to the one in the Pajero or it would still have 400Nm and that's another reason the power could be tamed on take off because 350Nm must be close to the limit for the transmission. The 5 speed could also be near its limit with 400Nm and get trimmed the same?
Just have a good moan at the dealers and say you want it fixed and are also aware that others have the same complaint so they can't claim it's an isolated case and you're being picky.
Can you switch the traction control off???
sierra

Postby tritionspecn on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:40 pm

Sierra,
Cant say that I have tried to switch the ASR off. I will give it a crack tomoz. Have you had a crack at one??? test drive a new MN GLXR if ya can to see what might be of concern at those moments. Hope the ECU is different too and is only a blip!
tritionspecn

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:05 pm

I daren't test drive the MN because mine has to last me for years, it's ready for when I get back to some land.
It will only make my engine seem inadequate by comparison for power and refinement so it's best I don't spoil what seems more than adequate at the moment.
sierra

Postby tritionspecn on Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:48 pm

The ASC off switch does nothing for the takeoff emergency problem!!!!! Tried the loaded small wind up and much the same. Think jury might be close to a decission on this................... Sam and the boys........ I will give in on just a little bit but ...................nah cant say it just yet..................NOT GIVING UP HOPE JUST YET, you guys can make up your own opinions for the moment. Still love it.

Also tested out the MATT Mits All Terain Tech. Showing a mate how the Triton rides, he has the D22, and went to grab a coffee, blah blah all the way and told him it had stability control and the lot......, then.................lights were changing, wet roads.......sped up to take the corner FORGETTING THAT I AM IN A UTE with no load on it and ........................ the stability stuff really works!!!! Grouse!!!!! Lights flashing and all, mate said had i done it before?????? Then I realised that it just saved me from a serious accident! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock: :roll: .
tritionspecn

Postby al coholic on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:41 pm

tritionspecn wrote:Oh I forgot to mention, they did something f....ed with my pre delivery, the paint work looks crap. There are extra swirls and other swirls inside that. Like cat paws all over. The triton was buffed/polished all over and it looks crap in direct sunlight, took it to stealer trying to pass the buck as is, I told him if he can find another car looking like it, i will drop my case!!!! :x . Was told to bring it back on a cool day to give it a once over again. Guys what should I do here??? I would love to hear some of your opinions, can get some picks up on sat morning?? I did not pick it up at delivery, would have told them to keep it!! Also why they polishing a brand new car??????????? Was told the dark blue has natural swirls already. I have never seen anything like it, am disapointed about that. Have had the merc Blue black. very similar colour and nothing like it!!! Any thoughts ????
Cheers Nuri

Nuri, Did they do thier paint protection as part of the sales package. With my ute, the dealer threw it in as part of the deal (i think they charge quite a few hundred bucks for it) anyway, after chatting to NowForThe5th on this forum, I have discovered it is no more than some sort of polish probably no better than what you buy at Supercrap. My ute (black) didnt have swirl marks as you described but it was more like the polish had dried on it and not been buffed off properly, and just overall the paint didnt look its best in my opinion, it also had dry polish marks on the rubber surrounds and on the glass and it just looked like someone had a really crap go at polishing the truck. Of course when i picked it up, it was parked inside the showroom, and it wasnt till i got home i noticed it. Mine is now fine, I washed it and polished a few days later, and it has looked fine ever since.

Just wondering if they had similar cowboys do the same to yours, cheers Ben
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby tritionspecn on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Ben, sounds pretty much what you have just described. Looked fine on the day and the last thing your into when you buy a car that you never saw b4 you bought it was the paint. After a couple of days, in sunlight from afar, you did not get any GLOW from the car. Closer inspection and you just think, what the heck have they done!!! No Paint protection from the good looking sales chick! Has got the polish on the rubber bits on the top bars near tray. Also, looks like the top bar has been scraped along the ground with some fine scratches, they blamed Patricks as they do the fit on. :evil:
tritionspecn

Postby Homer on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:32 pm

I reckon mits may have a reflash style fix for the delay/lag as it is hard to think that a drop in capacity would create such a hesitation issue.
Sure, turbo lag but this sounds more like a fuel delivery issue?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:56 pm

Tritionspecn,

Getting a bit confused with the ASC, ASR, All Terrain etc.

Reading from the MN pdf specs,
ASC Active Stability Control
ATC Active Traction Control

It's ATC that might be the culprit?
Helps you maintain traction on the most slippery or rugged of surfaces. This intelligent system automatically controls the engine output, so driving wheels are prevented from spinning. Sensing loss of traction in an independent wheel, it applies braking force to that wheel and sends extra power and torque to other wheels with traction to keep you moving.
Note it can control the engine output.
Can you turn the ATC off?
sierra

Postby tritionspecn on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:06 pm

Nah Sierra, No where to turn off the ATC. It does not feel like a slip somewhere, more like what homer might be on about, stand still no weight on the car and plant it, it just plods along at usual speed to say 1800rpm and then that word RRREEEEEOOOOOWWWWWWWW from there. There is the switch for asc off but no other switches. The engin works so well from every other point of driving, pick up from rolling along, driving up hills, the unit works and drives a treat even with some weight on it, and even from a point of normal driving, takeoff from lights in trafic, just beautiful, but in that moment you will need some quick launch, there seems to be a lag. I will keep trying new things to see what I can come up with.
tritionspecn

Postby sierra on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:08 pm

It wouldn't feel like a slip. It controls the engine output.
That's the only thing that makes sense with an auto because it boosts hard at 1500rpm according to the specs and it would be above that engine speed if you booted it off the line.
Sounds like software.
sierra

Postby tryhard on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:31 am

tritionspecn wrote:Nah Sierra, No where to turn off the ATC. It does not feel like a slip somewhere, more like what homer might be on about, stand still no weight on the car and plant it, it just plods along at usual speed to say 1800rpm and then that word RRREEEEEOOOOOWWWWWWWW from there. There is the switch for asc off but no other switches. The engin works so well from every other point of driving, pick up from rolling along, driving up hills, the unit works and drives a treat even with some weight on it, and even from a point of normal driving, takeoff from lights in trafic, just beautiful, but in that moment you will need some quick launch, there seems to be a lag. I will keep trying new things to see what I can come up with.

Yes that's a 100% accurate description of what mine does too ... once moving there is way more than enough power, but from a standing start it's like there's 40 blokes holding the car back then suddenly letting go when you're 10 metres down the road ....

thinking of going to see service dept and also drive their demonstrator to check... too hot to work today anyway :)
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Postby patto on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:12 am

Just stepped out a MN GLX-R, very impressed. Sales man described the crawl off the line as the Traction control, beng a ute and 98% never having a load in the rear they have very much eliminated ay possible wheel slip. I know my ML even with the bigger tyres could see me spinning through to gear change of the mark.
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Postby al coholic on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:24 pm

4wd Action have reviewed the new MN Triton in issue 142.

They have good positive things to say about the MN such as the Active Stability Control and the fact you can turn it off while 4wding, the more powerful motor while also achieving better fuel economy - calling the 2.5 "a powerhouse" when mated with the 5 speed manual box, the increased towing capacity and the four star ANCAP safety rating. They even seem to be fans of the increased tub size and claim it did not significantly affect departure angles while offroad, aswell as the fact Mitsu have dropped the hardcover as standard making the ute much more versatile in thier opinion for tradies and campers...........go figure :? :roll:

They were negative on the same crap suspension that is in the ML, the torque stealing auto gearbox and the fact that the triton has to rev very hard to be able to extract that extra power from the new motor - even claiming it to be much like the navara motor..... :x :cry: They also mention the need for some aftermarket accessories if heading offroad but that is pretty much a given on all new vehicles these days. ;)

Thier final verdict: It's good to see that Mitsubishi has actually included some real mechanical and electrical upgrades in the new Triton, making it a great work truck with bigger tray, while also doubling up as a good tourer or play toy. In a competitive dual cab ute market, the Triton is going to be popular with the Aussie market because of its versatility and new powerful diesel engine.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Gfoss83 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:30 pm

excuse my ignorance and hope no one else has asked the question but has anyone had the same off the mark lag issues with the manuals or is it just an auto thing? Im presuming its just the autos as you can give the manual as many revs as you like.
Gfoss83

Postby sierra on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Gfoss83 wrote:excuse my ignorance and hope no one else has asked the question but has anyone had the same off the mark lag issues with the manuals or is it just an auto thing? Im presuming its just the autos as you can give the manual as many revs as you like.

It seems pretty well confirmed to be the traction control cutting the power and as such affects both manual and auto.
sierra

Postby al coholic on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:28 pm

Gfoss83 wrote:excuse my ignorance and hope no one else has asked the question but has anyone had the same off the mark lag issues with the manuals or is it just an auto thing? Im presuming its just the autos as you can give the manual as many revs as you like.

EDIT - Sierra beat me to it and his answer was much more simple...............thats what you get for having to put the kids to bed halfway through posting..... :lol: :lol:

It seems like a bit of a wierd problem though......... :?
al coholic

Postby sierra on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:47 pm

al coholic wrote:EDIT - Sierra beat me to it and his answer was much more simple...............thats what you get for having to put the kids to bed halfway through posting..... :lol: :lol:

Yehaaa!!
;)

I think it will be easily resolved by backing of the intervention so the tyres are starting to chirp but only just.
That's where it should be. They might have set it up so it's safe in the wet but when enough people complain it will get a fix.
Good to know it's nothing to do with off boost grunt.
sierra

Postby sam on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:00 pm

sierra wrote:
al coholic wrote:EDIT - Sierra beat me to it and his answer was much more simple...............thats what you get for having to put the kids to bed halfway through posting..... :lol: :lol:

Yehaaa!!
;)

I think it will be easily resolved by backing of the intervention so the tyres are starting to chirp but only just.
That's where it should be. They might have set it up so it's safe in the wet but when enough people complain it will get a fix.
Good to know it's nothing to do with off boost grunt.

I hope that this is the issue but I wouldn't hold my breath as 4wd action do state it's very much like the Navara engine so if that is the case it wont be a traction control prob it will be a case of not enough grunt off boost and low revs.

Only time will tell so will be interesting to follow this ;)
sam

Postby tritionspecn on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:27 pm

Guys I think I got it!!! After about 15 goes at it.............. I can confidently say that I got a better response that have been previously. Here are my results on a hurry along.

I tried the panic planted foot to the floor a couple of times to see how the response works and from idle she just wont move. There is a definate lag and after reading some of the comment tonight by Sierra and Al, I could easily see how the ECU plays a big part in the crawl and RRREEEEEOOOOWWWWWW. I have forgotten what its like for there to be too much power off line to create the wheel spin. Especially in the wet, hence the safety of just managing the dump fron standstill til it get going. Dump it and it wont go at all til you have the roll and some speed and by that time you are caught in no mans land......!

Then what works best.
At stand still I tried a few methods. The best way I found was a double push off the line. I mean, for a brisk get up and go, you need to just push 1/3 of the way on the pedal, pause just for that split second and push again. And it feels a hell of alot better. Tried it again and it responds alot better than a dump. That method does this.
The quick little squirt gives you the motion, without too much for the ECU or what ever is cutting it out b4 its let it go, it gives you a brisk takeoff of the line takes the revs to about 1800 without the pause in power and then just goes..................rrreeeooooowww from there. Again, there is a brisk forward motion, revs just progress to 1800-1900 rpm and then go go go..... :P :P . Taking into account that its a diesel motor and the burn rate of the fuel is not like petrol, it aint far off the mark from just a brisk takeoff. I can say that it am much much more content with that issue now than b4. My advice to other MN guys is to try it out/ get a feel for it for yourself and just play with it a bit. I tried to simmulate a panic mode somehow........ :roll: stopping at the lights well after the lights have gone green and cars waiting for me thinking wtf. :oops: :shock: I can definately feel a vast improvment and makes me content.

Can someone, Al coholic, can you back me up on this and verify this.
Cheers :)
tritionspecn

Postby tryhard on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:00 am

Just took mine for a run to test your theory mate ... didn't really work with 1/3 but I got what you mean if I pushed it about half way for about a second and then flattened it. Definitely better, not a huge feeling of safety still because it relies on my reflexes / common sense (both a bit limited) but I agree it's a strategy better than nothing :)
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Postby Silver Streak on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:20 am

Hi Guys,

My first post here, but I've been following this subject for I guess a couple of weeks now, it's been very interesting.
I'm about to go down to my local dealer and go for a test drive myself, hoping to maybe get a better deal in the last month of the year, when they may be desperate to get their end of year sales figures up..... Whose dreaming now. :roll:
So put me down as a perspective buyer of a MN GLX-R.
I don't know whether age has mellowed me, but I can't remember the last time I have absolutely floored, or "put the pedal to the metal", as they say, to get my current sedan off the line, and most people who drive with me wouldn't call me a slow driver by any stretch. Now, I don't know whether "flooring" these vehicles, to get them away at the lights, for instance, is necessary, or needed, to get them to move, but I wonder if my usual smooth and not too abrupt driving technique will be ok, and this flat spot during acceleration won't be noticed...here's hoping anyway.

Cheers, Silver Streak.
Silver Streak

Postby Lark68 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:25 am

Anyone tried to drive a RED one yet??? aren't red ones mean to be faster? LOL.
MN GLXR
Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.
Lark68

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion