Vehicle Insurance : Who, What & How Much

Anything Triton related

Re: cheap insurance

Postby Blue on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:29 pm

maxtriton wrote:I couldn't find another insurer that would cover for water crossings and beach driving and at the time was only about $100 dearer that RACV.

that's fair enough, I was only ensuring the MK as a shopping trolley...

Been some interesting insurance chat on the VTR forum - got a 25yo lad living in the same neighbourhood as a 40yo bloke who has never had an at fault, bla, bla, bla and the young lad is paying $25 more with the same insurer (swann) - both under $600/annum... Swann quoted $1058 for mine... makey no sensey...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boycee on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Really pays to check em all out hey. :x

It is really amazing how much they vary. :roll:
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby pikey on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:51 pm

I'm insured with SHANNONS for $1150 and they cover every mod as long as it's legal.
Also have my R8 covered with them ........ they do good packages with discounts.
27Years old.
pikey

Postby NTBB on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:04 pm

pikey wrote:I'm insured with SHANNONS for $1150 and they cover every mod as long as it's legal.
Also have my R8 covered with them ........ they do good packages with discounts.
27Years old.

Shannons are good it's just a shame they only cover private cars :cry:
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby Lark68 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:53 am

Just rang Affinity (recommended by the Victorian 4x4 Ass'n) and they came in at $1145. That's business use and complete 4x4 cover for anywhere, anytime, and any road / track.
Still listed as being a member of 4x4 club so they also get a kick-back. Covers any accessoroies or mod providing it is listed on the policy and legal (up to 3" lift, bigger tyres, etc).
Was with TCIS but changed a couple of years ago. Never needed to make a claim (touch wood) but others in the club have and say they made it very simple. The club president was with them and had a heavily modded Patrol and ran out of space on the page when listing his extras / mods so they just covered everything.
Still going to be shopping around though.
MN GLXR
Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.
Lark68

Insurance, who are you with?

Postby cravecave on Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Just wondering who everyone here has trusted their Triton with and what your experiences have been with the company?

I'm currently going through a nightmare of a time with RAC and I'll be looking to take my business elsewhere once it is resolved.
cravecave

Re: Insurance, who are you with?

Postby helicoptercow on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:32 pm

aami.. under 25 male they were the best deal round... great thing about their quoting system is they give you a quote and then ask you details of other drivers and stuff that would normally increase your quote

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Fnordy on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:55 pm

I use a broker for a range of business, commercial/resi property and private stuff. Was completely honest about after market mods (45mm lift and Mud Tyres on a brand new vehicle) which collectively spooked all the regulars (Allianz, RACWA, SGIO etc...). He could not get it insured but put me onto TCIS in Adelaide. Ironically they were able to cover it using Allianz as underwriter (when Allianz wouldn't directly through their retail / broker policies).

TCIS have a special 4WD policy that they offer to recreational 4WD clubs (hmmm... may be a group buy here?). I have no affiliation with them and haven't made a claim to be able to verify how they respond when the chips are down, but details were:

Lisa Brock lisa at tcis.com.au or web site http://www.tcis.com.au with 1800 633 745.

Also - they would only cover an additional 50% of the new vehicle price on accessories (I have put about $40k into accessories) but was the best I could do and was about $1200 I think for $70k in cover.

Cheers
Fnordy

MY10 GLX-R Manual Diesel (loads of mods - see shed)
MY09 200 Series VX Landcruiser (stock standard with Poly Airbags & UHF)

MY09 Giant TCR-Advanced 1
MY10 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
Fnordy

Insurance, who are you with?

Postby fridgie on Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:31 pm

Changing away from racq, just not happy with their prices and service anymore.

Just car gave me a quote, came in cheaper, with offroad coverage and agreed value.

Anyone know who else to try? I want the offroad coverage included....
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Wallace on Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:25 pm

see here...........................

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=529&start=0&hilit=insurance

;)
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby QueenslandeR on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:03 pm

with racq at the moment, price seems to be pretty competitive.
QueenslandeR

Postby ag9111 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Same deal as Fnordy. Allianz premium 4WD insurance through TCIS

When my car was written of by a driver that fell asleep, they paid for all the extras that i had put on, and told them about, including the lift and engineering. Was more than happy with the outcome of the whole deal even though it was a nightmare at the time
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby CDT015 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:30 pm

NRMA
We have all the home and contents with them as well as 2 other cars.
Never had a problem and premium was $454, 2 year replacement and off road is covered.
cdtcars ©2009 5 Star Distilling
CDT015

Postby UAV on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Im with budget direct, never had a problem, but never had to claim haha. Although i did forget to cancel the insurance on my last car when i sold it and i was only like 3 months into the policy. Im going to write to them a see what they say. Ive been advised that that should pay up if i have evidence of date of sale. Anyway ill let you know how i go. But atm yeah im with budget direct and as a 25yo rating 1 i pay like $680
UAV

Postby ag9111 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Will never go with NRMA again. Screwed us over on a Bullshit issue and cancelled our policy on us.

Never ever again
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Fnordy on Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:13 pm

UAV wrote:Im with budget direct, never had a problem, but never had to claim haha. Although i did forget to cancel the insurance on my last car when i sold it and i was only like 3 months into the policy. Im going to write to them a see what they say. Ive been advised that that should pay up if i have evidence of date of sale. Anyway ill let you know how i go. But atm yeah im with budget direct and as a 25yo rating 1 i pay like $680

I had the same UAV - sold a vehicle one month after renewed policy but only found out about it when they asked for the renewal 11 months later. Refunded me all 11 months when I got a confirmation of transfer from Dept of Transport!

Cheers
Fnordy

Fnordy

Postby steve1961 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:16 pm

ag9111 wrote:Will never go with NRMA again. Screwed us over on a Bullshit issue and cancelled our policy on us.

Never ever again

well in a perfect world .. we would gather all the insurance reps / estate agents / telemarketers / used car salesman ... pollies etc ...stuff them into a huge sports arena .. and drop a kilo ton of napalm right in the middle and all dance around the fire .. woooo hoooo ... alas just a dream
steve1961

Postby borngeek on Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:51 am

[censored]... aami here.. $1400bux a year :o and i have no claim for life bullshizz (Rating 1 for life :lol: )

agreed value (50k) that covers mods, and 1 free windscreen per year :twisted:

prolly so expensive cause i live inside a city and known to drive like a maniac :?

needless to say rego time is painful.. a $3k exercise every year :roll: //[censored] NSW RTA are thieves!

//love that car :mrgreen:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:53 am

NRMA here as i have insured with them for years and they have been good for claims in the past (at fault or not).

amazingly now they don't want a full list of your (legal) modifications but said to get a video of the car etc.

as they have new for old in the first two years i have stuck with that but i am looking at probably a fully detailed policy with TCIS or similiar next time around as it will be two years old.

Never use a market value policy. (unless like mine the first two years are new for old). Market value can hurt you especially if another insurance company writes off your car (i.e. other drivers fault).

mine is a work vehicle in Western Sydney (AKA theives friggin paradise) and i pay almost $1900 per year with a good driving record but two claims in recent years - wife and hail. (AKA hail friggin paradise)

also when using brokers check who they use. i used Farmers Union once with a broker and they were absolutely terrible after our commodore was stolen. they even put second hand tyres on after the recovery (cause the thieves did burnouts) to match the fronts :o i couldn't believe it the insurance rep would have spent more money wasting his time looking for the second hand tyes than getting new ones. NRMA in my experience would never use those practices.

in any case you always judge an insurance company by their claims service - not their premiums - taking premiums is the easy part for them.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:53 am

If you want to find out who the good insurers are, talk to a crash repairer or two. They'll tell you which ones want the car fixed properly, which ones want the car fixed cheaply and which ones want it fixed as cheaply as possible in their own workshops.

I've been told that Allianz is the best.

I'm insured with ING (who are apparently okay when it comes to getting a decent repair done), but I'm going to check on Fnordy's suggestion on the 4WD specific policy.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Fnordy on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:40 am

borngeek wrote:needless to say rego time is painful.. a $3k exercise every year :roll: //[censored] NSW RTA are thieves!

That sounds terribly expensive BG - I think ours are something like $450/year private and $600/yr business use here in WA. I reckon there is a business opportunity in somone owning all the cars in one state (aggregated insurance etc...) and then just having a peppercorn rental in another.

This may be a dumb question, but would it really worry you NSW drivers to have a QLD or Vic numberplate? :shock:
Fnordy

Fnordy

Postby barty59 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:46 am

I am with Allianz and have been for years, cant go past them for cover and price.
barty59

Postby Racer on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:44 pm

QBE - Unlimited glass replacement (used twice for chips) I have 4 years if it is written off..I get a new one....850? or so a year..
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Bad Kitty on Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:55 pm

On my old car I was with Allianz and they were perfect shits to deal with when getting my car repaired, wouldn't go through them even if I was offered the best deal possible. As my car is fully novated I'm not entirely sure whom the car is covered through, but it does include all the mods, tyres and windscreen - Going on previous rates with Allianz for a BMW x5 rating 1, it was just under $1000 per year.
Bad Kitty

Postby steve1961 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:58 pm

Bad Kitty, Bad Kitty,
Agreed kitty ... there are shits and anyone on here thats uses them " BEWARE " make a claim on their " free windscreen policy " and see what happens when you try to renew with someone else ... i did and they made it a " claim " and the other company wanted to increase the prem: by 800 dollars ... their all turds ... it just depends on what flavour turd you want to choke on
steve1961

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion